Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Is there any way to force an ic-7300 to tx on 5mhz/entire 80m band? There are so many channels in winlink that are unavailable :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

oh sure. Diode snip

http://brucerichards.com/army/ic7300%20mods.htm

whats wild is that my old 746 came factory unlocked. on all bands. including 118-136 MHz. and it does 100 watts of AM there.

<FAA beats my door down>

Thank you for your wisdom, Breaker of Laws.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

how much land and trees do u have?

i recommend against any sort of end fed wire. they are not a magic trick like everybody thinks; they are actually super finicky and have some hard-to-work-with voltages, and are notorious for picking up shitloads of RF inside your house.

any sort of balanced or semi balanced antenna is way better

the noise... :negative:

which is why i am looking at common mode chokes.

i am also borrowing/soon buying a ft8900 for vhf packet use (digirig mobile), its nice finally having more than 6-7 watts from a handheld.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 19, 2022

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Common mode will cut down the noise buuuut it's now also hamstringing the coax shield's use as a counterpoise.

Hmm, i have added a wire to the coax shield (right before it goes inside) and it leads to a ground rod, is the counterpoise already messed up?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

DevNull posted:

A counterpoise is an alternative to ground. Unless your ground is really bad, it should be better than a counterpoise from what I understand.

it goes to a 1 meter ground rod and that ground rod is connected to another ground rod 1 meter from the first ground rod but i can also connect to a third ground rod 5 meters away if i i need more ground rod.

ground rod.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

ok! you are on the right track and doing the right thing. However, you're also running up against one of the reasons i hate end feds.

The impedance by the balun/transformer box is insanely high. like 3200 ohms. what this means in reality is that signals do not need to generate much current in the wire at those points. any old fuckin' noise can worm its way in there. so, even though your counterpoise/ground is lightning-solid, we'll say, the noise signals still have a chance to make it into your coax and to the radio even if - and sometimes especially if - your counterpoise is anywhere near 1/4 wavelength to ground.

This sounds wild, but you might want to experiment with a short counterpoise rather than the big long one. If you do get reduced noise, what you can do is to add a big fat rear end inductor on your 'long' counterpoise at approximately that far down. That way you still have lightning protection but the long tail and ground rod will be decoupled from the antenna proper.

i read basic noob information about how counterpoise in end fed antennas work and i now understand why i had to tune the radio when i used a ferrite ring or used a patch cable + filter. ground rod + common mode choke + inductor is probably the best cost/benefit i can do where i live. Too bad we dont live in a frictionless sphere world but have to deal with external factors :(

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
*RIAA hears faint sounds of notes in the background of the ISS*

COPYRIGHT PROTOCOL ACTIVATED
TARGET IS NOT EARTH BOUND
ACTIVATING ICBM ATTACK SEQUENCE
DESTRUCTION OF PIRATES IMMINENT

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
How else are RIAA going to enforce its rules if the traffic is encrypted? Think Forums THINK

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

my ic-735 and my antenna are kickin rear end. i don't even really want an ic-7300 any more, now i'm thinking about all sorts of other things (mostly where to put antennas). depending on what kind of time i get to myself on Sunday i might try the all-frequency-transmit mod; if not i'll probably do it in a couple weeks when little and ms jones are out of town

still haven't made a contact on HF though. :(

jonny's been helpin me a lot. thanks man!

wow, it even have CI-V.

edit: wow you can even use digi modes lol https://k7mem.com/IC735_Digital_Modes.html

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
*computer yelling into a mic" HELLO. I AM RADIO AND SEND SIGNAL TO YOU. ERRORSOUNDCARDSTOPPEDWORKING
*radio doing direct modulation* Hello Sir, this is His Excellence Radio Teletype The Third. Please accept this handmade bespoke letter.

I modified my v2000 antenna so vswr is better on ft8 50.313. it went from 2.2 to 1.26. Solution? But a piece from a telescopic whip antenna on top and then adjust while using nanovna. I had to put a piece of plastic pipe in the midsection since the antenna got longer. And lots of electric tape. I can get it to 1.105ish but i am going to wait til its less snow and cold.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
any way for me to get a transverter for vhf and have this 1 in all setup so i can stop changing cables etc?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i'd use the hf antenna for 6m if possible and just use a switch between the transverter and radio

the v2000 is better at 6m than my wire antenna. i guess i will be buying a regular transverter and then some switches.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

how about a 2nd transceiver to cover vhf+uhf -- is that too obvious? i would worry about the transverter being lossy / noisy

if i find something used that can send vhf ssb and can be used with computer and ft8 then i might as well. I think a new transverter is much more expensive than a used vhf transceiver if one think about how much watt it can send.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
how do i calculate elevation degree (uhf band) using my yagi while trying to reach a certain grid location (trying to listen to beacons)? and is knife edge diffraction even a thing at 70cm?

edit: and it also applies to meteor scatter when i want to try that out next shower time. shower more please.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
phew, good to hear. when i manage to get a kr-600 azimuth rotor fixed (a bolt is rusted so good that its almost like its welded to it, gotta bore it out or something. also remove rust and make a new rotor cable that is not rotten) ill just point it at horizon and just care about azimuth degree. elevation rotor will be purely for sats then.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
someone heard me on 70cm ft8 because i recieved 1 signal, a -7 db ft8 signal back, but it was the same message i sent?
then i saw the creature had gotten a radio license.

edit: used 432.174 mhz. i see on pskreporter they are quite flexible regarding what frequencies they use :/

standardize!

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 16, 2023

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
drat, that guy is executing that fish in cold blood.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

My aliexpress feedline came this week, so I connected everything for the very first time without worrying too much about perfect antenna position, stumbled through wsjt-x to send a message to Australia. 13226 km away!

the polarity must have been upside down and it still reached them? heck of an antenna! if 90 degree is bad then 180 is double bad O_O

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Radio Nowhere posted:

tub water is a good conductor, proper way sign off

:thunk:

*me bathing in the ocean to achieve OMNIRADIO PRESENCE*

.... . .-.. .--. / .... . .-.. .--. / -- . / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / .. - ... / ... --- / -.-. --- .-.. -.. / -.. --- .-- -. / .... . .-. .

i am going home now and i will never touch a water agiain.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
using modern technology to make old soundology, what a time to be alive.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

spankmeister posted:

hey neat i can see my house from there

too bad it didnt zoom out enough to capture your mom. :(

my sat rotor project is 80% done and now its just coupling everything together one day. then i can communicate through space.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

thehustler posted:

I defo want us to try over an FM bird one day (all I can do, no linears)

fm qso is an easy start, before trying to use falcon or mir sat or something idr.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i was going to borrow rotators from someone but all 3 rotators (+ one that was probably broken) he had left over didnt work. turns out controller box was electrically faulty ouch. :|
luckily he didnt use his newest modern rotators on that box or else it would be no rotators for both of us.
Sat project is on hold i guess until i can buy it somewhat cheap on the used market. or maybe replace bad parts if i manage to learn how to do it.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 9, 2024

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i got an offer to buy complete azi-el (some sort of ancient word or something) rotator from someone in local radio club.

sats sats sats sats sats sats
sats sats sats sats sats
sats sats sats sats sats
Everybody

edit: a lot of things included so the offer, it is very good. I even got "pay as you can afford it over time" as well.

*Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of my nose*

Radio amateurs, i love you guys. *wipes tears*

*bullet*

THE END. NO MORAL.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 6, 2024

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i demand details once you get the pile

+ an 7-8 meter glassfiber(?) mast thing. The PC interface is an LVB tracker 1.2. The rotator feels very new, little use.

577$ total.

edit: g-5500 new in norway costs 963$.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

lol

you robbed that ham

very nice

that very same ham that lost three (four technically but we presumed it was broken anyway) rotators to electrically faulty control box. when i borrowed them and put them together to test them the motor just said tk tk tk tk tk. Me and him checked everything. pins, cable etc. Then he used a multimeter on control box. electricity. it is sometimes bad. :/

edit: I have soldered plug on and put it all together. I just need a boom through the elevation rotator and clamps for the antennas then i can try to put it on long mast and wrangle it upwards.

edit2: at least they will be easy to repair, motor replacement only.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 9, 2024

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i am putting together things for sat and rotator and i was looking at using an LNA since ic-910h is quite deaf compared to using sdrplay rsp1a. I was prepared to make a complicated setup with several feed lines etc but then i discovered that ic-910h sends 12-13v directly if you turn on the preamp setting to on. just gotta get an lna that can be direct fed 12v and that it have sufficient isolation. https://www.sv1afn.com looks promising atm.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
i got everything setup and working with satellites. However. I found out my radio will not change to tx frequency determined by HRD when transmitting so i transmit on the same frequency i listen to. RX is totes fine its just tx that is bad. I know vfo a and b with ic-910h is messy but dang. I will have to research CAT control software and cables and settings etc. At least everything physical is in place. io-117 and rs-44 my current fav sats.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

thehustler posted:

can we try FM pls! it'd be an absolute pleasure to finally get one of you direct RF

Can you recommend any particular satellites? You will be my first voice qso if we manage to work things out.

I managed to fix my problems with same band up down link communication. If i use a program called SatPc32Iss for those satellites and HRD for vhf/uhf sats then i have everything covered.
I got dogpiled first time using greencube lol.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I can hear ISS about 15 seconds when its at max elevation 1.1 degree or something. KP19 is far north :/
I can try SO-50 and tevel satellites and see what happens. I should build a better vhf yagi since its just horizontal polarization and just 6 elements.
I am quite limited right now since the antenna is just 1.5 meters above ground. If satellites come from south and go east then i can work them.
I have to get help for setting up 7-8 meter fiber mast so i can get full value for my rotor satellite setup.

I have moved on from toyota carina 2 1992 to suzuki swift 2014.
toyota carina 2 was a good first time car imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

thehustler posted:

don't forget you need down and up, 2/70. sometimes it's easier when the satellite is a 2 uplink and 70 down vs the other way around

I have tested my setup and UHF 11 ele cross yagi is good to use. 6 element regular VHF yagi is really bad. Going to build a better antenna to complete my setup.