Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is this a good thread if I'm an absolute beginner? There used to be a megathread in some other forum but I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

yep no question is too basic. this a safe area to ask whatever

So if I'm starting from absolute zero what are the goon recommended resources? Alternatively if you have a link to the old thread I can checkout the links from there as well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm probably not too hampered in terms of environment.

As far as goals, for now I would probably just listen and maybe learn enough to be of some help in a disaster scenario like after a hurricane or something. Your post about the baofeng's in another thread made me realize I don't know a thing about radio and it seems like a handy thing to be familiar with.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

listening is always the first key. i still recommend the rtl sdr sticks for somebody with literally zero gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HVUEME/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A37V0QGFC9C912&psc=1

hamexam.org is a good practice test site.

other'n that, it's most helpful to just ask - what is your environment, and what are you interested in? Some things like operating on HF ("shortwave") from a 9th floor apartment building can be difficult. An increasing number of (mostly younger) hams have taken to portable operation and will go throw a wire up in a tree in the park for the afternoon.

further clarification that when i talk about 'young hams' im talking about any under 55.

I just got this SDR stick! What's a good app to install and just gently caress around with to listen to whatever I can?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

oh hell yeah

i use SDRSharp on windows and gqrx on mac. And i guess technically OpenWebRX for linux - though that's a web based server.

(it's very cool)

Follow the driver instructions carefully. there's a little hackin' to be done before it'll show up.

I set up SDRSharp, it wasn't too bad. Listening to local CB radio now and no idea what's going on but I like it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

basically me for the past 29 years

Suspecting you aren't in the US? Is this UHF CB down in aus or something?

No I'm in the US. I just looked up one of the tutorials on the SDR site and it gave me the frequency range for CB and it also shows it as that in SDRSharp. 26.965-27.115 MHz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The fact it's still usable today rocks.