Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

an RTL-SDR kit that's $40 USD in the states is $120 CAD in the great white north, *gently caress*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I’m moving from a basement suite to a nice second floor apartment and there’s nothing in my lease agreement about putting a modest antenna on my balcony

time to get my ham license

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

well now I want to find a cheap SDR stick and maybe an upconverter so I can listen to stuff under 25 MHz

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

now that we've openerup'd and have somehow managed to not immediately jump back up in cases outside of the deep chudlands I guess radio license exams will be back on soon

should probably get a study guide

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah I'm canadian so the exams are different and we haven't done any online stuff at all since all the exam hosts tend to be old dudes with suburban mcmansions running them out of their boomer mancaves.

iirc if you get 80% or higher on the basic exam, you immediately get your advanced cert without needing to do the advanced exam so you can use sub-30 MHz frequencies and another couple kilowatts of transmit power

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

while I'm studying for my license I'd like to at least get used to pulling poo poo out of the aether and listening to it, and it looks like RTL-SDR dongles are *deeply* on sale on amazon.ca right now but not the full antenna kits. is there a recommended type of antenna or anything for those or is any ol' antenna with an SMA connector on it fine?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

got an RTL-SDR and dual-band antenna on the way, should arrive Friday at the latest :toot:

looking forward to listening to the sounds of the LUMINIFEROUS AETHER

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my RTL-SDR V.3 and antenna showed up today so now I've got the VHF antenna next to the window and I'm skipping through various bands trying to find interesting stuff. found my first weird thing, a station at 169.440 MHz that was sending out regular, short pulses like so:

then it stopped for a bit before sending out a few long pulses at various intervals. it doesn't sound like anything on AM and sounds kind of like a mechanical ratchety sound on DSB -- zoomed in they look like this:

my guess is that this is a digital signal and that I need to find a plugin for SDR# that'll do DMR

e: currently listening to a bunch of old dudes on a repeater chatting about fuel injection. the air waves are fascinating

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 7, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

drat that's sick. I have a little two foot long antenna that sits in my living room window and I can listen to the local ham guys on VHF and the VE7RPT repeater through it

good conversation last night about maintaining turbodiesels, wish I had my license and could participate

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

today I learned about VE7KFM

can't believe I share a province with this rear end in a top hat. also surprised no one's complained to Industry Canada enough to have his license revoked, though I suspect he'd keep blasting nonsense into the aether without one

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

paging dr. 290, dr. 290 to the insane shortwave poo poo ward

ukrainian radio pirates have intermittently taken over the Buzzer (UZB-76)'s frequency and have been blasting music and anti-Putin slogans over it. it's back to buzzing now but a couple minutes ago they were playing Red Hot Chili Peppers lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

since the invasion began there have been Russian speakers in the websdr chat live translating Russian military comms

cutting edge warfare: it’s pretty lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I need to find a way to get an inconspicuous antenna set up on my apartment balcony. technically my lease agreement only says no satellite dishes so I bet I could disguise it as christmas lights or something and put it along my railing but that does leave the question of how to get the lead to it actually inside

I don't have a license yet so I'm not going to be keying up or anything but I wouldn't mind listening to the aether from time to time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

It's not a thing on VHF/UHF repeater stuff, but yeah OM and YL are still in use today on HF quite a bit. Lot of older ladyhams don't mind it. popular womens' net called the YL Net runs to this day etc.

Also, they're YLs if they're unmarried. One's wife is an XYL.

...extra young lady?

didn't know a ring gave you shirt size powers in the ham space