Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Once when I was flying the tower was coming in all scratchy and I responded "sorry tower, I read you three by five" and my instructor was like "what? what does that mean" but the tower understood exactly what I meant and changed something and came back clearer and asked "how about now, better?" and I felt pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eeyo posted:

lol my apartment directly overlooks the leasing office so i can't do poo poo without them immediately noticing.

there's a guy in the neighborhood that has what i assume is a big HAM tower.

i think this is appropriate thread to educate people that ham is not an acronym. a radio ham is just a guy who does radio stuff and that's why it's called ham radio. jonny probably knows the etymology better.

don't be one of those insufferable people in the airplane threads who always talk about RADAR systems

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

an RTL-SDR kit that's $40 USD in the states is $120 CAD in the great white north, *gently caress*

:canada:

apparently the 3080 graphics cards that are about $800 ($1200 scalped) in the USA are going for as much as $3000 CAD up there. lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I'll be honest, i didn't understand complex impedance math when i studied for my extra, so i just doubled down and practice tested till i got 98-100s on all the other sections and just allowed myself to blow out the math chapter. i ended up passing

it's a valid testing strategy

dr. dad used to tell me that studying for his board exams he just skipped the entire section on eyes, knowing that he could still get a passing grade and he never wanted to do anything with eyeballs because they grossed him out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

are there any crucial ham apps for iPads?

simply turn off your ipad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

with aviation radios, when two people try to transmit at the same time you hear a distinctive kind of interference. sometimes it sounds like a high-pitched squeal or beep, but it can also be a warbling noise or a rapid series of pulses.

you can hear one type here at 1:35:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTPnGMxdlPo&t=95s

I assume you get it on ham radios too. what causes this? like from a physical or mathematical standpoint? my best guess is that we're hearing the beat frequency created by two radios that are just a teeny bit out of tune, like one is transmitting at 118 200 000 Hz and the other is at 118 200 005 Hz and that's why we hear a 5 Hz warbling -- but i don't know if the electronics would allow that sort of thing. does that make sense?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 11, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

neat! i remember reading that part about FM radios blocking each other in the FAA manuals, yeah. you often have multiple stations not that far apart operating on the same frequency, and if it were FM the stronger signals could completely wipe out your attempt to listen to the weaker station. for instance i regularly pick up calls meant for watsonville when i'm tuned in to half moon bay, with about 50 miles between those airports.

also this is why aviation hasn't gone to digital radios apparently. a human can sometimes pick out some key words through the noise where a digital signal would just suddenly crap out. it's considered safer that way.

they never explained why it happens, though. how does capture effect work on an electronic level?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

paging jonny or other hams to the aviation thread (which is currently on page 219 so it's a sign) for some thoughts on radio altimeter filter design?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821398&pagenumber=219#post519546371

tl;dr one of the bands that 5G mobile networks are trying to use is right next to the band used by aircraft ILS radio altimeters, and there's some indication that the phone towers are going to gently caress things up because current altimeters won't effectively reject all the spurious transmissions, and the FAA is saying "we were here first" and the FCC is saying "update your hardware"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it does, but it's probably not a great idea for a military force to be using an unencrypted communications channel that you can intercept with anything from a AWACS plane to a raspberry pi.

great for ukraine though.