Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
nice thread Jonny thanks 👍🏻

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
my dad and I used to mess around on CB bands with his Kenwood, but shortly after that the BBS scene came online and we went that direction instead

recently I've been reading the Hardy Boys to my 5 year old and he's fascinated by their wireless, so I thought about getting back into it as if I had something like this as a kid I would have never left my room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qsap5r1OXs

I plan on starting with a handheld and getting my license, I think it would be a cool move to contact local hams and clubs only once I have my callsign but in the meantime I thought I'd ask you guys about antenna options - my ground station will certainly make use of an SDR so antennae will be my big concern, I live in the city but have a lot of land and mature trees, I could easily run wires for dipoles or put up a flagpole :canada:

is there a cheap and easy way I can get us started and being able to contact a) an active part of the spectrum b) with as much range as possible? like I don't think I could do 80m but 40m might be possible and 20m be easily doable, although a vertical wire dipole will have a much higher WAF/NAF than some big fan job, but I don't have a clue where active hams are hanging out these days

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Captain Foo posted:

oh man do the Hardy Boys still hold up

100% imo and the vocab is miles ahead of other kids' books, my son broke out a couple 20 dollar words this weekend he learned from those books and I was beyond chuffed

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Jonny 290 posted:

Sounds like its time for a grimdark reboot where all the music is slow quavering covers of uptempo songs. Also they're bisexual.

apparently there ARE more "mature" Hardy Boys books that have been made; a friend of mine's mom got some for his boys without knowing this and apparently in the first book Chet's little sister gets blown up by a car bomb 😂

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
for any Canucks wanting to get their license, the govt has a shockingly good exam simulator covering every portion of the test in mind-numbing detail

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/025.nsf/eng/h_00040.html