Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I upgraded my license to general class during covid and ended up enjoying the arrl license material.

I can deff appreciate that it teaches you stuff thats current like ft8 operating procedures and then core knowledge stuff is helpful for troubleshooting which youll probably do almost immediately while setting up a station

also I live in the city proper and have managed to string up a stealthy 40meter monoband antenna and have had good luck with digital modes. i have an s5-s9 noise floor so if it weren’t for digi modes my enjoyment of the hobby would much rougher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

going camping in northern maine in about a month and am desperate to bring a radio and string up some dipoles or something.

I live in a city and my noise floor is about a S7-S9 and worse in the winter when people put up LED christmas lights.

Recently started chasing SOTA/POTA people and im realizing I can hear folks but cant copy them. I feel like if i had a lower noise floor I’d hear them ok. Weak… but I could copy them.

Also now that covid is over its time to look at figuring out what clubs I can visit and use their stations.

Also might have to look at going with a full portable setup.

This is a hard hobby to have with city living/renting/no big yard. I know people are innovative and work with what they have but yikes. you start off on hard mode and only make it harder from there.

I literally never heard HF at less than an S7 noise floor

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

This doesn’t help your situation but its currently the start of a new solar cycle and very occasionally we get the boost from mr sun.

your good for like 11-12 years if you start a HF station right now.

also re: station location. Im spoiled now because I live at the very top of a large hill and I have a baby vhf/uhf antenna on the roof and it works amazingly well. I can do 2 meter simplex with people on 5watt handie talkies 20-30 miles away. further if people are on 50 watt mobile radios

Its going to be a sad day when I relocate and dont have much choice in geography.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

dmr is a pretty fun mode that lets you mix “real radio” with internet radio so everyone can play along and you dont need a huge mega station to participate.

the downside is the laughably bad programming software but anyone in this forum would find amusing vs alarmingly difficult

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

time to see if anyone is gonna notice me using one of the timeslots on the local DMR repeater for SAARS purposes

Do it. Ive been using a couple of repeaters in my area for the net and from what I can tell on the brandmiester pages for these repeaters . Im the only person who ever uses them.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

ngl, bathtub man making what looks like a 70 mile contact on a 5 watt handheld using airband AM. Is probably just really excited that the tower copied him.

still. someone gonna kick his door in later lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Sorry. There was an excellent tutorial series on youtube by Dave Casler that walked you through all the concepts. Then by the time you got to the questions. you knew the answer’s because you knew the concepts and materials and not because you memorized the question pool.

anyway. this was all great and online for years and years. Now I see its only recently moved behind a paywall and fffffff. seems like the ARRL’s doing.

which is a huge shame. the reason you’re not finding much is because this was a path that thousands of newbies took but now all of a sudden its paywalled.

I’ll post it here just because. Dave is good and the material was excellent. but i am less enthused that the arrl seems to have moved in and made what was otherwise a great thing their own brand now.

https://youtu.be/vK-OnmOr-1c?si=QcZyFifIJ5e0JMyt