Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
hey guys just checking into the net hope that’s okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

you bet i have traffic you’re on our established channel for [extremely niche activity] please move

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

hey guys

GUYS

pretty clouds

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

i just wasted an hour in a loving field doing a satellite capture then got home and accidentally deleted the wrong file and I’m absolutely loving pissed about it :kingsley:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Crankit posted:

have you tried undelete.exe

no but that may work idk. there’s always another pass. that’s the beauty of it, just irritating to waste the time

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

livin the absolute dream, nice

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

do some weather stuff! it’s easy and it’s really cool to get signals from space. i recommend it if you’re bored of everything else and have never done it before

i’m a bit obsessed and just trying to get folk to do it now

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

you know of any osx software that'll do the needful? a rec for a noaa sat tracker would also be dope

you also need a RHCP antenna (not related to the band that is bad and i will die on this hill) right?

a QFH for circular will be best, but a v dipole is easier and gives decent results. just need to occasionally aim or tilt for polarisation

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

i leaned out of a window for this and it was hard

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

pretend this post is in yospos style, i am lazy

quote:

:siren: European Goons :siren:

We're having the second SAARS DMR net at a reasonable time for Europeans this Saturday 4th September at 6pm UK time, 7pm CEST.

People from elsewhere are also welcome, and we encourage you to join. Hopefully we'll make this a semi-regular thing.

TG 3163563

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

come net with us, bellends. In precisely 3 hours time from this post.

BM TG 3163563

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ah poo poo sorry I thought the details were more well-known than that. thanks for stepping in with the explanation

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

thanks for reminding me to check my hotspot range! and for the great effort post on the nets - I sometimes am very lazy with them and assume more knowledge. very naughty of me

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

:siren: the next net is *today* at 7pm U.K. time!

I am solidly sticking with this Sunday slot now for a weekly thing since I can never make the late ones - we still need some more Europeans involved though. I know you’re out there and I want to make our side of the pond have just as strong a community as the guys here do in the US

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

are you using the full library or the cutdown ones? i got ssd1306ascii going for my CW/WSPR beacon and it’s really nice

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

can definitely recommend recording a chunk of HF spectrum for an hour away from all noise and then analysing it afterwards, I’ve had such a fun afternoon

gonna take me weeks to go through it all - 100 GB data in total, ish. I want to try and ID as many stations as possible and decode as much as I can and upload audio clips and images and whatnot

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

yah, it’s worth it. I couldn’t do this at home because no outside antenna setup and huge RFI, but the kit was really portable to take out, and it was set up inside 5 mins (video of whole thing is in the tweets).

I can’t believe how clear everything is - I just want to get my rig now, I want to get on the air so bad

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ok, keeping track as I go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Kn1HYU7JaWKGnFhF_Bo9p1GUHMkEPtERuxZL4-GfIg/edit?usp=sharing

taking a while, but so far I am doing okay at logging all the permanent stations. there may be signals that come and go and hopefully I’ll be able to set up SDR++ to let me skip back and forward in time through it

there are so many stations already, it is unbelievable

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I did Hell on 2m FM once. Nothing like wasting 12.5khz

fun though

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

first data dump complete! on to the wefax

https://imgur.com/a/la1VQVY

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

cross posting from the other thread - finally got my intermediate licence through

for hams out of the uk, i get:

* more power
* all band access
* A few other things related to beacons and DF stuff

MM3IIG now becomes 2M0IIG, and I will finally get more answers from CQ calls instead of people hearing the MM3 and ignoring it

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I’m really not feeling the pull to net today 😞

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

oh hai

No SSTV tomorrow now due to EVA

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ah, a spacewalk

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

setup was a laptop with SDRPlay RSP1A SDR, then a V Dipole in 120 degree angle shape, it’s like a horizontal dipole for around 2M band and below but then the arms bent forward a bit

there’s a picture of the setup here, I can be up and running in 5 mins at a push: https://twitter.com/markpentler/status/1466082654588186634?s=21

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mantle posted:

So if I can use a dipole, the antenna that comes with the RTL-SDR will work too? I just need to go upstairs at the right time?

possibly! i am not sure what the length of the arms is though, they may not be enough for 145.8 MHz

just need to arrange them parallel to the ground (so horizontal orientation) with the angle. even if the length is not perfect the ISS signal is a monster 25W so it’ll be okay. even a rubber duck on a HT works, but this kind of setup will give more consistent results.

sadly though the experiment is over now so you will have to wait for the next one :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

i just made this over the last few days. tape measure 2/70. 5dBi gain, no reflector, total cost around £5. and i can't test it until thursday morning :(

hopefully good for sota but mostly i want to finally try hitting an fm sat with this. in SPACE

7 watts in from the handheld, minus losses and bad tuning, i should get around 20W out? it's around 1.2 on 70cm and around 1.5-2 on 2m depending on how it flexes. i think i can trim it down more but i am so excited about finally making one for 2m

edit: yes it is held together with sticky tape

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ISS SSTV end of year: https://ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/2021/12/ariss-end-of-year-sstv.html

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

yes! hello! what do you have available to you? antenna, radio etc?

an antenna for this can be as simple as a 1 or 2 metre pole with a horizontal dipole arranged in a V shape, such as this one made for weather reception, which you’d adjust the length on for the 145.8 ISS downlink:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/simple-noaameteor-weather-satellite-antenna-137-mhz-v-dipole/

but unlike weather satellites the ISS is so powerful a signal you can get away with a much less capable antenna.

software: MMSSTV probably easiest. the audio pipe is the key.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 20, 2021

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

comms not really needed as long as you download all of the satellite TLE position files before you leave the house :)

your rabbit ears may not be long enough to make a half-wave dipole for 145.8. but again, such a strong signal it shouldn’t worry. set those up at an angle of 120 deg as the link I posted shows. short coax run to the rtl stick, short as possible while keeping it away from the laptop - maybe 5M or so?

or does the rabbit ears kit have a coax attached already? i never had that so I’m not sure.

if you install VB Cable or something similar that’d be the next step and then we can move onto the actual decoding software

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

there’s no empty carrier between images, just fully off, if that helps! you’ll just hear static

heavens above is very accurate if your position info is entered correctly. they are predictions, but with some maths behind them

edit: there seems to be a very tiny hump at 145.800 though, that has to be something?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, and everyone who wants to do satellite work wants one (myself included). mantle hooked me up selling me his last year - with a fast charger - for ~msrp (iirc). this was a screaming deal given the insane current prices and i was happy to pay it. but when msrp is a screaming deal for a used discontinued radio there's something very weird going on in the market

if i'm being honest it just makes way more sense to use any decent ht from whatever manufacturer for tx and a baofeng for rx and get full duplex that way. _but doing it all on one radio is just so cool!_

i run half duplex off one ht. it is hard. i have to wait for a signal first to dial in the aiming

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I shouted at that guy for his clickbait title and it got deleted :<

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ive been banging on about L-band weather satellites in the discord so I thought I'd pop up all my stuff I've received on to a google photos album because there's so much and i can't choose the best ones for the thread. also they are very big

link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KhsSwid242VhF5rw6

small sample, click for big (37 MB)

for people only on the forums I can talk about this in the other thread maybe but maaaaan so many ace pics. may get some blown up and printed

edit: this is polar stuff but mervburger does geostationary!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 4, 2023

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Big Mackson posted:

too bad it didnt zoom out enough to capture your mom. :(

my sat rotor project is 80% done and now its just coupling everything together one day. then i can communicate through space.

I defo want us to try over an FM bird one day (all I can do, no linears)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Big Mackson posted:

fm qso is an easy start, before trying to use falcon or mir sat or something idr.

aye, I have lots under my belt and do it all the time, I just think we'll have a shot with footprints I guess

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

in the U.K. we're somewhat rebuilding the network and trying to use it to actually learn stuff, also invent new and interesting activities and links and data stuff.

https://ukpacketradio.network/

map is looking p nice, but I'm down right now so my green line is gone. in Scotland specifically we're trying to concentrate more on RF links because if you do Internet wtf is the point? Green lines are RF, so the Edinburgh to Glasgow stuff is pretty well catered and I sit in the middle of that

https://nodes.ukpacketradio.network/packet-network-map.html

the impetus for all of this was our online club distributing about 150 NinoTNC kits

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

can we try FM pls! it'd be an absolute pleasure to finally get one of you direct RF

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mantle posted:

A club with 150 active members sounds huge. Is this normal?

oh, we're an online community with members everywhere. started during lockdown. https://www.oarc.uk

but the network isn't us entirely

and I'd say the discord has like 50 people out of 1500 users who talk regularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

we've a few options. SO-50 is easy to work but always rammed. the Tevel satellites are relatively new and seem to be really good. strong signals.

ISS also always absolutely rammed with folk.

best time is daytime. less folk on and I work from home sometimes...