Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Hello goon hams, I got my (Canadian) amateur license with honours last year, but I have no hardware and no hamfriends.

A couple of projects I want to do are:

Recreate the 90s IRC experience by joining TARPN or something similar
http://tarpn.net/t/packet_radio_networking.html

Recreate the 90s BBS experience with a packet radio BBS

I'm in touch with a local club that administered the licensing exam and they're having a swap meet this month that I'm planning to go to. I also live in a 15 floor condo on the 8th floor, with non-exclusive access to the roof so I could go up there to play but not leave anything there permanently.

What should I be looking to get, in priority order? I was thinking of getting a HT (with built in TNC?) as my first radio. I'm ok with used and spending a few hundred on a good radio that I could basically resell for the same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

welcome and hello to beep boop on magic waves central!

Packet's a lot of fun but outside of some regional stuff (which you may be blessed with in your area) most of the traffic has moved to APRS. Same modulation, different protocol, but it does have messaging features and such (which people don't use enough!)

It's really easy to goof with a lot of digital data stuff on the cheap if you have any activity in your general area. Rooftop isn't necessary per se - if you have a window you can put an antenna in/on, there's a good chance you can get some links set up.

There's a very very good package called Dire Wolf that turns an audio input and output device into a packet modem. A cheap HT (I don't suggest a Baofeng as their tx/rx turnaround time is a bit slow for packet, but a low end Yaesu/Kenwood/Icom will do it just fine), a sound dongle, and a way to trigger transmit on the radio is all you need. raspberry pi's are super popular for this - My packet TNC is a 40 year old 2 meter mobile radio wired to a pi zero through a little audio interface hat that pops on top of the pi (didnt want to usb dongle it, but that works too.)

you can see it working here! https://aprs.fi/info/a/KC4YLV-1

so the pi acts as a "KISS" modem (just shuttles data in and out of the radio) to a virtual machine running PinPoint APRS on my linux server over a TCP connection. it's not really that interesting for me to send packets as my station never moves, but i relay all of the local stations that I hear to the global APRS-IS spotting network, so i'm a little bit of a monitoring post for this kinda desolate area of Denver.

Would you be able to put together a system diagram, bill of materials and instructions to build your setup? I have plenty of Pi's lying around but I don't know where to source anything else, particularly if specific models are needed. Not sure what a sound dongle is or how you've wired the Pi to an audio interface hat. Where does a TNC fit in? This is the one I've been looking at http://tarpn.net/t/nino-tnc/nino-tnc.html

Mantle
May 15, 2004

So it seems like basically what I want to build 99% depends on what people in my geographic area are already using. Network effect and all. If I'm the first one, then I can set the standard.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Exactly. A little bit of listening to see what's out there, then decide what you want to do, and build from there. the sdr stick will be useful even after you get your radio...or your second radio...or your <looks in horror over at my pile> 27th

Is this kit + a laptop is enough to get me started? https://www.rtl-sdr.com/product/rtl-sdr-blog-r820t2-rtl2832u-1ppm-tcxo-sma-software-defined-radio-with-dipole-antenna-kit/

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Any Vancouver goons in here? I'm going to the Richmond swap meet on Saturday and want to know what to buy for my first gear.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

After hours of reading, I think I've settled on looking for a Yaesu FT60R as my first radio. I think I want a dual band to have max versatility as my first radio, and it will be useful in the back country, as an emergency radio, and on forest service roads. I should be able to listen to these RR frequencies right? https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

Anyone got one for sale?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Kenwood TH-72A for cad$350 including rapid charger? Is it a good deal? Used with some scuffs

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Well, I negotiated the Kenwood TH-D72 + rapid charger down to CAD$300 but hosed up closing the deal by not having cash on hand and the seller ghosted me after telling me to go to an ATM and come back with cash. Oops.

So I just ordered a Yaesu FT-60R for CAD$200 to my cousin's house instead . My cousin should be bringing it up to Canada for me over Christmas! Doesn't have built in APRS or TNC, but it can do wideband scanning which I think is more practical fun than packet since I don't have any ham friends or any idea about packet activity in my area. Maybe I'll save the packet radio stuff for when I set up a base station with a computer.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

aww dang. the big fancy kenwoods are neat but you will be very happy with the yaesu. Plus you can always jam a cable into the speaker mic jack and a raspberry pi or little portable TNC and do packet with that on the side anyways.

After reading some more, it looks like the setup I want to do for packet is:

Radio -> audio interface with PTT control -> computer (headless Raspberry Pi or laptop running Direwolf)

In fact it looks like I can actually just go radio -> computer running Direwolf with VOX control, but the signals won't be as clean?

So in the end I don't even need a built in TNC?

Anyways, in the end it looks like the TH-D72 seller waited around for me in the parking lot but gave up. He emailed me and said it's still for sale. I don't really want it anymore now that I have another radio on the way and a path towards a packet radio setup. Is CAD$300 a smoking hot can't pass up deal where I should just get it "in case" or can I just let it go to the next user? I am interested in its full duplex capability but I don't have an immediate plan to use it right now.

$300 is a lot to spend on something I'm not using so my gut is to let it go but I don't like passing up hot deals.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 28, 2021

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

Honestly, $235 USD really really is an amazing deal. You could probably turn that thing right around for 500 cad. Not like i'm guaranteeing it, but radios are extremely expensive and I don't think that fella's watching the market.

--

I suggest using PTT control with these setups; vox will get the first part of your packet burst cut off. with a Pi it's really easy - one transistor and one resistor hanging off a GPIO pin for isolation, and you've got a nice solid PTT trigger line.

So in the last 12 hours I have impulse bought $500 on radios. The guy threw in two microphones for the Kenwood as well. I think I got a good deal.

I'm going to play with this Kenwood until my Yaesu arrives and then decide which one I want to keep.

First thing is to try to get onto Winlink.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

thehustler posted:

oh hai

No SSTV tomorrow now due to EVA

Great quality, what is your setup? Looks like the cut off the window where they were going to be flying over my city.

I was planning to just go to the roof with my HT and rubber duck antenna and play squwaks into my phone to decode cause that's all I have. Is it doable for next time?

Also what is EVA in this context?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

thehustler posted:

setup was a laptop with SDRPlay RSP1A SDR, then a V Dipole in 120 degree angle shape, it’s like a horizontal dipole for around 2M band and below but then the arms bent forward a bit

there’s a picture of the setup here, I can be up and running in 5 mins at a push: https://twitter.com/markpentler/status/1466082654588186634?s=21

So if I can use a dipole, the antenna that comes with the RTL-SDR will work too? I just need to go upstairs at the right time?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone doing ham stuff this weekend and interested in helping a noob? I've been trying to do packet anything for a few days but I can't send an APRS beacon / message or connect to Winlink (MacOS). I was able to receive an APRS beacon though and connect to Winlink via telnet to get stuck at the password prompt.

Anyone want to spend a few hours helping me out Saturday night PST?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

When should I start getting concerned about buying batteries for a discontinued HT? The TH-D72 was discontinued recently in 2020 so there are still 3rd party batteries around (USD$50 - $100 seems kind of expensive) but how long should I expect that to be the case? I don't really want to end up having this HT in 2030 if the battery is shot and there's no viable replacement like HTs in the 1990s are now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

All the ISS pass predictions I can find are filtered by visible passes (at night). I want to try this during the day, is there a site that will show me daytime passes?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone have a good setup to test sstv before the upcoming iss broadcast? I'm starting from scratch with nothing setup.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have a MacBook, an rtl-sdr with dipole tv rabbit ears type antenna, and a TH-D72 with rubber duck antenna. I also have access to my apartment rooftop and could drive out into the mountains. I wouldn't have Wi-Fi on the roof but I could tether my phone for low bandwidth comms.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I was unsuccessful in getting a signal from the ISS this morning, following the instructions in this thread. Does it look like my SDR setup was right? I heard a lot of white noise so is it just the case that my noise floor was too high in the city center, even if I went onto the roof of my condo?

https://imgur.com/a/LKAMZgz

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

it looks like you have a super strong carrier a few khz down, i'm wondering if that wasn't the ISS. They use a 50 watt transmitter and to state that you should be able to get ISS full scale with a wet noodle for an antenna isn't an exaggeration. How confident you are on the frequency/ppm calibration on this lil thing? I use the NOAA weather stations as that usually lets you get within a PPM or so.

I had a listen to the other carrier and it sounded like packet to me. I have an idea what SSTV sounds like since I tested my decodes with some sample SSTV recordings.

It could be that I just missed the window? I think the heavens above timings are just estimates right? When I checked reception of some broadcast AM radio it looks dead on. What is PPM in this context?

I think every other setting is correct, NBFM, 12.5khz bandwidth, 145.800khz frequency?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This is exactly why I got my license. Can't find anyone near me to connect with though...

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This may sound dumb, but I've been having fun with FRS recently. The barrier to entry is so low that it's way easier to get friends to play when we go on a hike that has no cell service they can just hop on and start using right away.

Also the radios are smaller and lighter and it's so easy to just say oh go to channel 5 or whatever.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

drat yall, you could at least provide the info :supaburn:

TH-D75A, tri-band (2m, 1.5m, 70cm). im not seeing an official msrp, not sure if it can do cross-band duplex like the th-d72a can

I read somewhere that it doesn't actually have dual VFOs so there's still no replacement for the TH-D72A.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

quote:

Dualwatch
Monitor two FM or D-STAR repeaters simultaneously*

*not actually at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

thehustler posted:

in the U.K. we're somewhat rebuilding the network and trying to use it to actually learn stuff, also invent new and interesting activities and links and data stuff.

https://ukpacketradio.network/

map is looking p nice, but I'm down right now so my green line is gone. in Scotland specifically we're trying to concentrate more on RF links because if you do Internet wtf is the point? Green lines are RF, so the Edinburgh to Glasgow stuff is pretty well catered and I sit in the middle of that

https://nodes.ukpacketradio.network/packet-network-map.html

the impetus for all of this was our online club distributing about 150 NinoTNC kits

A club with 150 active members sounds huge. Is this normal?