Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

i'm slowly cracking my study guide. in my electronics education we never worried too much about wavelength. when it mattered, we converted from frequency. ham stuff seems pretty much flipped. does the metres-to-hertz conversion eventually click in your head like hex to decimal and you can work in both? i might have to make flashcards for myself or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

maybe different in the real world, but back in school we used a phase locked loop to build an FM demodulator. it would lock on to the carrier frequency and the feedback signal that adjusted the PLL frequency higher or lower to track the modulation was tapped off as the recovered audio signal. the PLL characteristics dictate which signal the receiver prefers. the low pass filter in the PLL causes it to prefer small adjustments, continuing tracking the current signal and ignoring a big change to track an interfering signal.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I tried to ask the instructor at my certification study course put on by my local club last night, but he didn’t really get it. are there radios that do direct digital modulation? generating audio signals on a computer and piping them into a voice input seems old fashioned to me

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

thank you everyone for your responses. I have plenty to learn

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I’m very new with no equipment outside of a baofeng. local repeater traffic is kind of fun from a people watching point of view (listened to two guys arguing about brussel sprouts) but i want to try some low power longer range HF digital stuff so i backordered a QMX transceiver. since i don’t have a tuner or proper transceiver yet i was looking at end fed antennas but my lot isn’t really suitable to string 70 feet of wire as directed… suggestions on bang for buck off the shelf configurations i can get my feet wet with before i fill out my toolkit?

am i understanding right that the balun in these antennas can impedance match any sort of suboptimal radiator on the other side, that the only issue is power delivery because a 100W balun on a 5W radio is going to be fine to burn up the wasted power?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Awesome man, thanks for helping. Good to know 20m should be more than enough to get me on my feet. That’s a much more manageable length for the back yard than worrying about the 40m and 80m this transceiver can do. i will eventually report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

My aliexpress feedline came this week, so I connected everything for the very first time without worrying too much about perfect antenna position, stumbled through wsjt-x to send a message to Australia. 13226 km away!