Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the krrrrrsh is a 'squelch tail'. the radio's squelch stays open for a fraction of a second before it realizes there's no more signal

the bloop is known as a 'roger beep' and is a tone generated by the radio. and you will be run up a flagpole if you have it enabled on a ham radio, but all other types of radios use em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we did a stream session a couple years back where an artist got permission to blast out slow-scan tv via HAARP and it owned

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got me a ham rig. sniped an auction nicely

icom ic-208h dual bander. i had one of these a while back and theyre great

the faceplate is removable and TINY which is why i wanted this

tiny faceplate for

TINY CAR

the miata has this sirius/xm antenna that i will never, ever use

and it just so looks like the hole in the trunk will be perfect for an NMO mount

i'll get a little shorty Diamond dual bander, install the rig in the trunk, run good power back there, faceplate/mic/speaker up front and we'll be good to go.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Miata Incorporates Amateur Transciever Always

Took about 3 weeks to find and win an IC-208h (was going to be either that or an ID-4100a, both have the smallest control heads you can get) but i got a minty one with paperwork and original screws etc.

Antenna is mounted in the hole previously inhabited by the lovely XM sharkfin that i'll never, ever use. Near perfect fit for an NMO

8 gauge oxygen free copper all the way back from the battery. So uh if i ever want to put like 1000w of subs in this im good too.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Internaut! posted:

100% imo and the vocab is miles ahead of other kids' books, my son broke out a couple 20 dollar words this weekend he learned from those books and I was beyond chuffed

Sounds like its time for a grimdark reboot where all the music is slow quavering covers of uptempo songs. Also they're bisexual.

---

Super glad you all are enjoying the thread! I've been listening to some 40m ssb lately; the bands are quite nice.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
10m ssb and even FM is blappin'. Caught a couple repeater convos a bit ago. Cycle is up folks, get your HF while the gettin's good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, sorta tricky.

short answer is yes - and they've done it for like 70 years.

you may see "RTTY" modes on HF rigs. when rtty became popular, they were trying to figure out how to generate the two tones they wanted to use for the 'mark' and 'space' (1 and 0) signals. Of course they didn't have computers or anything back then, but what they did have were crystal oscillators and the data line from the teletype, which was just a binary simple 5v or whatever line following mark and space. What they settled on was:

* when you turn transmit on in rtty mode, it just yeets out the same single tone that a CW mode would if you held the key down. at this point with no data moving, the teletype data line was in one idle state (mark, if i recall)
* when it needs a space (the other tone), the voltage on the data line would kick in
* when that was on, it turned on a little shifting circuit built into the radio to move the frequency of that internal CW oscillator 170 hertz

So that really was direct modulation to generate the desired signal. On most fancier rigs there's an "FSK" line that, if you were to hook up an old rear end teletype, will generate really clean RTTY.

The reason most HF rigs don't bother with having a direct input is just the conventions of the bands. Almost all of the signals are 3 KHz wide or less. so, an audio line is a really good way to input what information you need for the desired RF output signal.

the icom 7300 "sdr"? it's got a usb audio dongle inside it that you chuck sound to.

FLEX radios can be directly modulated in the way you're thinking, and some other high end SDRs, but any modes that would require fancy direct modulation techniques need that type of radio on both ends for a contact, and they're not ubiquitous, so they haven't gained traction. Almost everything out there on the airwaves today is something you can use by having a computer yell into a microphone and listen to a speaker.

It's also vastly easier, even in SDR architectures, to generate a baseband signal and convert it to the desired RF output frequency, than it is to directly twiddle bits to generate things between 28.220000 MHz and 28.223000 MHz.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'd use the hf antenna for 6m if possible and just use a switch between the transverter and radio

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well, you don't really honestly need frequency agility - aka CI-V tuning or whatever - on vhf/uhf weak signal modes. You park it and all the party is within the audio channel. So, any ssb rig that can take an audio input/output will work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, nice looking radio, shame about the $1 billion MSRP. but thats always how the kenwood flagships have been

also icom's right there too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mantle posted:

I read somewhere that it doesn't actually have dual VFOs so there's still no replacement for the TH-D72A.

this is ridiculous ugh

e: icom dropped the ID-50A . Looks like a refresh of the 51? Anyways i have a 51a VIP pro edition plus and it's an extremely good ham radio

https://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/handheld/id50a/default.aspx

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, it's a switcheroo thing. I do have some true dual-VFO radios so if i really want to do that i have options.

My icom IC-2SRA!

it's an Icom W2A (very famous dual radio HT) except they replaced the 70cm transceiver on the right hand side with an icom R1 (also have one of those) - a 25-905 MHz wideband receiver

and you might see something weird

that's right

it has TWO ANTENNAS. the wideband rx side has its own dedicated antenna jack and a second whip.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they're very good radios but i fear they suffer from FT-60R-itis, where owners realize they're so good they are dragging them with them to the grave

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Mmmm doesn't quite work like that but the short answer is you won't be at risk of smoking anything. The end fed matching boxes aren't baluns, they're transformers - in a balun, only the unbalanced power engages with the circuitry and the rest is passed through. In a transformer, all the power passes through the core/etc so they're susceptible to saturation.

Do you have 33-35 horizontal feet? A 20m dipole is the easiest thing in the world to build and 20 is the fish-in-a-barrel #1 digital band. No tuner needed with a simple single band dipole if you're OK with an hour of trimming and tuning.

Dependin on how little space we can get you going with just about any sort of compromise antenna setup. Even a 20 meter hamstick whip on a mount with a couple radial wires lying on the ground will get you running.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
40m is a very good band, and if I had to pick one, i would set up a 40m rig. It's got good distance but also is entertaining short-range during the daytime. The rocky mountain daily net is on 40m and I hear checkins from Arizona through Montana here in Denver. But 20's the real MVP, just because it's soooo busy.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
unless you have like some 28 element monster laser yagi just keep it flat. beamwidth will be plenty wide. and yeah knife edge is a big thing (las vegas hams use it to get over this one mountain to one behind it with a bunch of repeaters)

same with scatter, you're trying to hit a spot that's 80k feet up but also 800 miles away. flat is fine. only satellites need elevation at all and even then only when the pass is above 30 degrees

many satellite hams just install their antennas tilted up about 20 degrees or so. beamwidth is wide enough that you're within 0.5 db on the horizon and you get good coverage up to like 60, 70 deg elevation of the bird

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Naw. you need a really really shallow angle to be able to reflect off the meteor trails, which are roughly horizontal. Think critical angle of skipping a stone or sending light down a fiber optic cable. It's not like you can aim a beam 45 degrees up and bounce off a meteor trail to somebody 20 miles away, you gotta come in real flat. keeping beams level to the horizon is best for 97% of work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yep, perfect setup. That's a hella rotator btw, good work on keeping it alive.

It should have no problems.

I used one of those $59 Radio Shack rotators for my stack - I mounted it at the ground and the whole mast rotated (cobbled together a sort of bearing type thing for the support bracket at the top of the roof) and had a 5+5 element 2m beam and 10 element 70cm beam on an elevation rotator, with a 2 element 6m beam above that, and it handled it all no problemo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
No, because if you died in the tub you wouldn't be able to identify at the end of your contact, and that's illegal.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Been back into listening a bit. Just keeping the FT1000MP hooked up and spinning the dial on 40/20/17 now and then.

https://i.imgur.com/f7kED62.mp4

Need to dust, i know

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the best, of course.

also that ring around the tuning knob is a spring loaded jog dial

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Couldn't sleep so im doing a couple raids while listening to 6am ragchews on 40 meters. Good stuff, nice rambling conversations rather than FIVE NINE, NEXT

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
kb6nu is a good dude and his training stuff is top notch, yeah.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's not a thing on VHF/UHF repeater stuff, but yeah OM and YL are still in use today on HF quite a bit. Lot of older ladyhams don't mind it. popular womens' net called the YL Net runs to this day etc.

Also, they're YLs if they're unmarried. One's wife is an XYL.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ex-young lady

But you never call another ham's wife an XYL

them's fightin' words

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Let me look in the junk shed this week

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i demand details once you get the pile

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

you robbed that ham

very nice

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they're all super very dead, sadly. most of it is automated traffic congratulating people on passing their ticket.

No reason a few friends can't spin one up and use it for chats, though. just don't expect a lot of traffic otherwise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I haven't been on birds in years, gently caress. Should put the 9700 to good use again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://njmonthly.com/articles/arts-entertainment/pirate-radio-station-only-plays-boyz-ii-men/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
now that MFJ's going away, i'm testing out aliexpress ham gear

$25, got here in six days.

Threads are 10mm metric so not compatible with 3/8x24 stuff but all in all, feels great.