Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jonny 290 posted:

Some areas you can still listen to the cops on. Some others (like denver) it's all crypto, and no, you're not cracking it.

lmao you'd be surprised how many places still use DES, because AES (at least when I checked a few years ago) was extra money. Double-bonus for the fact that various implementation flaws knock it down to a level where you can CUDA the whole key space in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I helped my friend catch the Radio Bug this summer but it was in the context of them buying a whole stack of SDRs to archive the entire P25 data stream for their city and record the MURS bands that the various militia groups love to use.

They just bought their own place and I'm currently trying to convince them that the next correct life choice they need to be making is getting their license, erecting a tower in their backyard, and setting up a repeater for all the local lefty groups to hang out on.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
yo does that setup work with CBRS? I've got a hankering to set up my own cellphone network and dual-sim my way to glory

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
tonight's CBRS dive:

All the hotness is 3.5 ghz aka LTE Band 48, which is supported by pretty much every phone from the last 2 years. FB has dumped a bunch of money into a project called Magma to act as the backend to a network, which theoretically lets you plug an LTE base station into any internet connection and tunnel out to your own cloud, amongst many other things

If you want to do CBRS legit, you have to pay Google $2/phone/month to tell you what frequencies you can use at any given moment since it's shared with military radar and telcos who bought licenses (along with real-estate companies and John Deere).

You absolutely can run your own base station to cover your neighborhood, but that'll set you back at least $10k. Maybe $2-3k if you wanna do like, your house and your neighbors. Those power amps are spendy.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Extremely looking forward to spending Field Day at my friend's ranch this weekend in the middle of absolutely nowhere, with correspondingly low noise floor. His RSU's recently unlocked so of course he bought another FlexRadio rig.

Gonna try to do some EME contacts if everything lines up right.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Achmed Jones posted:

somebody at work emailed Kenwood, and the CS person told them that there should be a D72A replacement announcement in Q2 2022. get hyped

big if true

I've got fond memories of using my TH-D72a to hit the APRS repeater on the ISS in order to send 'I will never log off' via SMS

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

champagne posting posted:

my neighborhood, the only one in Copenhagen filled with hams, is any indication you build a huge steel structure next to your house to put your antenna on

in the US there's an FCC rule that you're allowed to build whatever tower you want on your own property for the purposes of amateur radio, and you get to ignore local regulations to the contrary.

every few years ARRL tries to get Congress pass a bill that allows people to also ignore HOA regs but it never goes anywhere

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I finally figured out how to get the OLED display on my AmazonBasics MMDVM hat working so I soldered it permanently on and whoops now the rpi0W doesn’t turn on

time to see if anyone is gonna notice me using one of the timeslots on the local DMR repeater for SAARS purposes

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
TH-D72 is an extremely good radio for working amsats.

There's an APRS digipeater on the ISS and at least one cubesat with one as well, so if you get the right antenna (I recommend an Arrow since they break down really nicely) and time it right, you can send your friend an SMS that says "I will never log off" that's bounced off of 2 satellites

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I really wish this guy would share the plans for the water-cooled 1.2kw amp based around a single solid-state transistor that you can buy off of DigiKey for <$200 and like $50 of copper stock, because this looks extremely sickkkkk
https://www.qrz.com/db/wa3o

EDIT
oh drat, you actually can get the kits https://www.w6pql.com/parts_i_can_provide.htm
Time to myself a solid-state maximum-legal amp for <$1k.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Relevant to this thread because amateur radio is the most likely group to want to connect multiple devices which could saturate a USB 2 bus to a system, by way of using 5 RTL-SDRs at the same time:

Because the USB IF is a garbage fire of a consortium, USB 2 and 3 protocols, while they can be transmitted over the same cable, are completely separate from each other, to the point where they're going down different wires.

This means that even though USB 3 supports 5 gigabits of bandwidth, it's completely separate from USB 2 devices. You can't have multiple USB 2 devices connected through a hub to a USB 3 port and have their aggregate throughput exceed 480 megabits.

However, some anime has cobbled together a board which uses a cursed chip that bridges USB 2 devices to the USB 3 bus, which absolutely violates the USB spec which explicitly doesn't allow you to do this, but gently caress them.

https://notabug.org/niconiconi/vl670/src/usb-b