Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i need help from you radio heads! i was talking to a friend about getting into SDR, and she mentioned having one of these Soma Ether devices https://somasynths.com/ether/

it seems cool to walk around and listen to RF emissions, but i can't shake the idea that this is just a normal FM radio thats missing a tuner. what am i missing?

then there's this VLF receiver http://www.auroralchorus.com/wr3gde.htm which seems like the same kind of thing, but specifically set up to receive low frequencies (and no demodulator). seems like it would be more fun to monitor natural phenomena with this, vs overlapping FM broadcasts with the Soma.

my question: what do radio heads think of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

this is a really useful link, thanks for posting it. you left off the 'e' in Guide, so i fixed it in the quote

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
receiving lots of CB radio transmissions on my SDR this evening! i checked months ago and hadn't heard anything, but band conditions must be different now

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
the US, it's the HF one!

none of these signals have been single-sideband, all AM.

also, their radios play fast and loose with the carrier frequency, and you can sometimes see 2 or 3 different carriers when these fellas talk over eachother

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

Correctamundo. Cheap CB rigs just kind of ballpark the freq.

There is a BIG rear end 10 meter opening today; CB is just below that, so if you see lines on this map, you'll hear signals down on CB.

https://www.dxmaps.com/spots/mapg.php?Lan=E

So far it's shaping up to be a hot summer and I actually have a temptation to put my 6 meter beam up as this season* seems to be starting out hot

* what this is is "sporadic-E" propagation. It shows up most strongly in the summer, with a second opening in the winter, and the coolest thing is that even to this day science has no explanation for why it happens. It just does. My current record is Denver to the Canary Islands on the 6 meter band during a particularly hot eskip opening.

e: screenshot of the opening right now as this page is dynamic. this is one of the more epic openings i've seen.

i didn't know this was caused by sporadic-E! i thought it was just skywave propagation improving with the solar cycle.

thank you for teaching me something new about radio, jonny 290

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
is there any way to get a notification when sporadic e is happening?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i think its likely to be FT8 from the theremin description. Also because it's by far the loudest and most persistent digital signal detectable on my radio.

https://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/FT8

EDIT: except maybe not, if it occurs on "unlisted" frequencies (does this mean it's outside of the amateur radio bands?)

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Big Mackson posted:

the v2000 is better at 6m than my wire antenna. i guess i will be buying a regular transverter and then some switches.

how about a 2nd transceiver to cover vhf+uhf -- is that too obvious? i would worry about the transverter being lossy / noisy

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
has anybody ever died while operating a ham radio from the bath tub?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

me, im a ghost

was this you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvA_-linhg8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

No, because if you died in the tub you wouldn't be able to identify at the end of your contact, and that's illegal.

true in the narrow sense that nobody died this particular time.

though, if it happened once, who's to say it couldn't happen again?

yummycheese posted:

ngl, bathtub man making what looks like a 70 mile contact on a 5 watt handheld using airband AM. Is probably just really excited that the tower copied him.

still. someone gonna kick his door in later lmao.

to me, he's doing what amateur radio operators are supposed to do: experiment with radios to learn about Science. i hope he remains unbusted