Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Captain Foo posted:

is ham software with a ui that involves actual thought processes even legal

Which of the 800 variants of sdr software are you thinking of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

aeflux posted:

i bought one of these HackRF units about two years ago after reading a bunch about the guy who made it and some of the videos he made. the maths go whoosh over my head though
https://cdn.sparkfun.com//assets/parts/9/9/5/3/13001-01.jpg

i toyed around picking up the FM band and was trying to find the ems channels to listen into but i just don't know enough about it. the waterfall graph is super pretty to watch though

are there other resources that any of you know to start messing around with it more
and i guess my other question is could i use something like this for like a home automation thing? maybe send signals to devices that use RF?

Jr pushed me over the edge and today I spent an hour fiddling with my shortwave radio with an extended antenna. The extended bit is a drain pipe on my apartment building.

edit: Drainpipe radio is currently bringing me some weird russian radio, and a ton of north african stations

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 5, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

echinopsis posted:

idk how you mega nerds have done it but im finally
concede that the EM spectrum beyond visible light probably exists and make the first moves toward reviving radio signals with my metal teeth.

careful not to listen too much to chinese radio , you might get activated

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwciWchH3Q

this lovely video popped into my youtube feed and it contains all sorts of goodies that everyone should try: listening to satellite communication and looking at what planes above you are squawking.

also contains: don't ever do this or its forever-jail for you. Turns out it's incredibly easy to ddos flight control radio. One moment, normal traffic, next a wall to wall carpet of planes all heading for the control tower.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

when you say ddos do you mean dos? bc it seems hard to run a bunch of radios all doing the thing at once

obv i haven't watched the video yet or id know the answer

it’s not actually dos, but more creating an army of ghost planes

favorite example of the speaker is generating a ghost plane that’ll fly directly through traffic control, but they can’t know it’s a ghost plane so they will evacuate

needless to say, forever jail

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Have any of you lovely hams found a handheld transceiver with a dial or knob for going through presets / scrolling through the frequencies?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I managed today with little incident to get dump1090 working on my m1 macbook. Can't wait to go to the airport and get weird glances

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

awesome, thank you! that also helps clarify some questions i have/had around "how the gently caress do i attach this to the roof without messing up my chimney"

my neighborhood, the only one in Copenhagen filled with hams, is any indication you build a huge steel structure next to your house to put your antenna on

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jimmy Carter posted:

in the US there's an FCC rule that you're allowed to build whatever tower you want on your own property for the purposes of amateur radio, and you get to ignore local regulations to the contrary.

every few years ARRL tries to get Congress pass a bill that allows people to also ignore HOA regs but it never goes anywhere

Does federal law not supersede your local hoa?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

that's nothing short of amazing

how ehh, how are your local laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER