Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm a newly minted ham (general) and just impulse bought a used FT-991A. I now have way worse decision paralysis about what kind of HF antenna to buy/make for it than I experienced buying the radio. should I just do a random wire? the internal tuner is only 3:1 or better so I guess I need to buy one of those too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I have plenty of both but anything I put up must pass wife review. I have been thinking an inverted V would be cool and probably something I could build myself without too much hassle. RF in the house causing an actual problem would be a quick end to wife sanction of the hobby.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 17, 2022

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I have a fence long enough to set that up that backs up against some trees, but it's something like an 80 foot run from the tree line to my house. Do you think it's feasible to do that with buried coax?

I want to make a 2m/70cm dual band colinear (https://www.hamuniverse.com/2m440collinearvertical.html) to put on the closer side of the fence also, i'm currently only using HT whip antennas or occasionally my signal staff on a tripod for VHF/UHF.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 19, 2022

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If the apex height off the ground is less than the total length of the ladder line, what do I do with the extra? Also, would I need to buy a tuner for this setup? I'm not against getting a tuner, i'm just trying to figure out what I do and don't need before i buy a bunch of poo poo i don't have immediate use for.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I may be able to convince the wife that a 40 odd foot pole guyed into the trees isn't a big deal.

Jonny 290 posted:

As far as tuners go, yes, you'll want one. It will be useful for your whole rear end ham career.

is it better to use one that connects at the transmitter or one of the automatic weatherproof ones that connects at the feed point? are they each good with different use cases?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I decided to go with the specific antenna you mentioned (ZS6BKW) and have been reading up on grounding and bonding but I feel like I'm falling down a rabbit hole. this seems like it's going to be way more work and expense than the antenna itself, lol. I'm looking through N0AX's book on the subject and every page is more stuff I had never considered before. oof.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
is an arrestor and ground rod at the feed point only good enough or should there be another at the entry point to the house? also, is grounding my shack equipment into the ac ground more or less good enough?

this book has a very frightening diagram that shows lightning voltages passing through my radio in the instance that I have ground rods on both sides of the house that aren't bonded directly to each other in a perimeter ground, which I doubt my house has though I have no real idea how to determine that.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
that makes sense for the lightning protection but does that also mean I can't ground the radio chassis ground studs to the 3rd wire?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Internaut! posted:

my dad and I used to mess around on CB bands with his Kenwood, but shortly after that the BBS scene came online and we went that direction instead

recently I've been reading the Hardy Boys to my 5 year old and he's fascinated by their wireless, so I thought about getting back into it as if I had something like this as a kid I would have never left my room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qsap5r1OXs

I plan on starting with a handheld and getting my license, I think it would be a cool move to contact local hams and clubs only once I have my callsign but in the meantime I thought I'd ask you guys about antenna options - my ground station will certainly make use of an SDR so antennae will be my big concern, I live in the city but have a lot of land and mature trees, I could easily run wires for dipoles or put up a flagpole :canada:

is there a cheap and easy way I can get us started and being able to contact a) an active part of the spectrum b) with as much range as possible? like I don't think I could do 80m but 40m might be possible and 20m be easily doable, although a vertical wire dipole will have a much higher WAF/NAF than some big fan job, but I don't have a clue where active hams are hanging out these days

That's awesome dude. my 7 year old is currently working through my tech license study materials as he loves my radios and we picked up a solid 2m handheld for him at a recent ham swap meet. (got him a well-loved vx-170, that thing feels like you could drop it out of an airplane without issue. It's got a 2008ish vintage NiMH battery though so i wonder how long that's gonna hold out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm hoping the new Kenwood depresses the used market a bit so I can grab a 72