Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
New year, new thread. Share your goals! Double your net worth? Get a new mattress? Pay off that mobster? Doesn't matter how big or small, don't feel like yours are too petty - :justpost: The more the merrier after all. Non-financial goals are also welcome, healthy minds and bodies are important too!

Sharing updates and celebrating progress towards your goals is highly encouraged.

Last year was...interesting... and a lot of goals got dropped by the wayside. Better luck to everyone this time around!

Don't have any goals? Of course you do, you must have some idea of how you want things to be a year from now. But if you need inspiration, there's plenty in previous threads like 2020 & 2019 (has links to more)

I'll make a post for myself later, but it's going to be 90% "get house".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Hope it is okay to post here? I'm a uk goon and a filthy poor but I do want to continue getting to grips with my financials.

I did post in the UK thread but it tended towards Q & A so my posts were a bit out of place.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

Hope it is okay to post here? I'm a uk goon and a filthy poor but I do want to continue getting to grips with my financials.

I did post in the UK thread but it tended towards Q & A so my posts were a bit out of place.

:justpost: bro

2020 summary

Doccykins posted:

End of Year 2020

- No consumer debt
- Pension pot grew from £83k to £87k
- ISA grew from £4k to £8k
- NW increased from £100k to £117k

-Started running in January, Stopped running in April, stupid pandemic (says the guy who has noone to blame but himself)
-We managed to get out to Italy in September for two weeks when the coronas were subdued which in hindsight was extremely lucky. Ask me about seeing the Sistine Chapel/Colosseum/Pompeii without any crowds :D

:grovertoot: We closed on December 18th in the end, got a van full of our worldly goods and escaped London right as the net was dropping for tier 4, which bought us a whole week to try out new furniture... But we are in! And managed to have Christmas here with turkey for 2! If you said to me I'd own a house and will be spending the vast majority of my working and living time in it at the end of 2019 I absolutely would not have believed you but here we are! It's been a rollercoaster ride but super happy with our little home :grovertoot: :grovertoot:

On to 2021!

2021 Financial Goals

- 0% interest consumer debt only (need to paint my house with money)
- Grow pension pot from £87k to £100k
- Grow ISA from £8k to £12k
- Start short term saving £200/month for a newer car in 2022 (and more if current expenditure allows)
- Increase NW from £117k to £140,400 (+20%) - This should be a bit easier this year as I'm now paying down a mortgage on a (hopefully) appreciating asset instead of paying out rent every month

2021 Personal Goals

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Some of these are really hard to shop for when there's a pandemic on and you can't try sitting/lying on them :<
- poo poo or get off the pot wrt a pay rise - I have been 'promised' one better than a CoL adjustment since 2019 and love this job but if winning 'this organisation wouldn't function without you' of the year in December won't convert into a higher paycheck I need to seriously look elsewhere
- Once we're corona proof take another 2 week holiday somewhere nice before everywhere gets busy again
- Take a break from work at lunch each day instead of 'powering through' and ending up working 9am-6pm straight (At least I've completed my 2019 target of stop eating out at lunch :D)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
As things stand, Jan 2021!

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Goal: reduce to under £23,000
Stretch goal: £21,000.

Main Savings: £3,940.55
Goal: increase to over £6,000
Stretch goal: £8,000

Credit Card: £362.15
Goal: payoff in 7 months @ 53.00

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books.
Goal: try 25 actual recipes.
Goal: one holiday in the Uk
Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week.
Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 2, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Financial Goals for 2021

1. Grow my Emergency Fund from $6,000 to $12,000, the equivalent of going from enough to cover 3 months to a little over 6 months minimum expenses
2. Set up an HSA as my main tax advantaged account, keeping my existing Roth as a supplemental
3. Contribute at least $6,000 (16% of gross income) between the HSA and Roth
4. Take any surprise money throughout the year and put all of it into my retirement accounts. See how close I can come to maxing out the $9,600 combined limit
5. Stay within my budget consistently to avoid skimping on savings to cover extra expenses. Aim to stay completely within budget 10 months out of the year
6.Do my own taxes for 2020 instead of foisting them off on my CPA father like I have for the last decade
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year road map to pin down what types of long term savings goals I have outside of retirement savings

Personal Goals for 2021:

1. When restaurants are safe to return to, go on an extended tour of the places serving the spiciest food in LA in one weekend
2. Stop my cursory study of Larousse Gastronomique and really dig in and try to get to a journeyman level with my French cooking
3. Use my sous vide setup more
4. Find a chess club in my area and spend some time actually playing games instead of just doing solo positional puzzles
5. When the Channel Island National Park reopens for camping, spend a long weekend on Santa Cruz and a long weekend on San Miguel Islands

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until February.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%

Financial Goals for 2021:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account.
- Max out our 401ks/457s
- Max out our HSA
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September

I need to figure out some stretch goals for us this year. I'm not sure whether that should be Net Worth, branching out to an (really, any) investment other than index funds, etc. My wife and I also need to figure out some career stuff, and whether both of us are happy with where we are professionally/geographically.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Financial Goals:
Max 401k, backdoor RothIRA, and HSA again
Pass $100k in taxable investments
Maintain $0 non-mortgage debt
Force myself to study for interviews and move to a larger company with associated salary increase

I have a NW goal but it really depends on the market not making GBS threads itself this year more than anything else.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The theme for 2021 will be Simplicity and Focus

Financial Goals
1. No new debt. I turn in my lease in May and right now we are planning to be a one-car household. This could change if I have to go back to the office full-time.
2. Pay off my last student loan. Current balance: $4572. I want this gone quickly, and may just pay it all off at once.
3. Increase 401k contribution to 15%.
4. Put at least $150/month into my newly-opened taxable account.
5. Emergency fund from $20k to $25k.

Personal Goals
Read a book per month
Do 15 workouts per month (go for a run, a cycle class, or workout in the gym)
Update my resume and start putting feelers out

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Our financial goals for this year are mostly boring:

1. Max out our Roth IRAs (transactions are already processing)
2. Max out my 403b
3. Max out my 457
4. Transition my wife from a temp at her current job to a full-time hire

Some personal goals:

1. Have our first baby
2. Do a planche
3. Do some substantial programming or ML side project (can't think of anything decent)
4. Take a vacation if Covid looks contained by summer

Not sure how personal goal 1 will interact with financial goal 4.

I'm also 62% to my FI number and my overall accumulation goal is to get to 75-80% and then recalibrate (I have no desire to retire early). It's possible to achieve that this year if the markets gain >10% (which seems in the realm of possibility if the reopening of the economy starts picking up steam). That's clearly not in my control and so is not a goal, but it'll be something I'm going to be conscious of.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 3, 2021

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

2021 Financial Goals:
  1. House Deposit to £12,000 (currently £5,958)
  2. Side-project income of £3,000 (gross)
  3. Register for and submit my FY20-21 tax Self Assessment by end of June.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

2021 Goals, some financial, some professional, some personal. Building good habits is the main goal for me here since that is part of where I have fallen down the most.

1. Finish professional development thing that I’ve been meaning to do, should be done by June.
2. Convert old IRA to Roth, this will be a good January project
3. Continue retirement contributions in line with prior years, Roth IRA done, 401k on track
4. Read 26 books this year
5. Study for GMAT and decide one way or the other on business school applications by the fall
6. Make time to take a full week of vacation that I don’t need to open my laptop during
7. Finish QDMA Deer Steward I and make a plan for the family land to improve whitetail habitat
8. Keep off the weight I lost in 2020

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Mine tend to follow mostly the same format from year to year, but it's nice to write them down:

1. Raise net worth from 202k to 237k.

2. Increase emergency fund from 14k to 16k.

3. Contribute 3.3k to Roth IRA.

4. Pay off my car, which has 2.7k remaining.

5. Pay off Peloton, 2k at 0% interest.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment.

spinst fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 3, 2021

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

crazypeltast52 posted:

7. Finish QDMA Deer Steward I and make a plan for the family land to improve whitetail habitat
This sounds really interesting, what are you doing with the land?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Keeping going with my 2020 goals but modified a bit to fit this new pandemic life, I hit everything except saving up a 100K house downpayment...

Financial:

1. Continue to fully fund both 401(k)s, both backdoor ROTH IRAs, and family HSA - same as 2020 and should be achievable.
2. Continue to maintain 3mo rolling budget and 6mo emergency fund.
3. Grow house downpayment fund from $75K to $150K - we will probably buy a house before we fully hit this.
4. Grow 2020 net worth by 25% from $537K to $671K - we have managed to get this up between 63% and 173% over the last three years so I am hoping we can manage this more modest goal even if things get rough in 2021.

Non-financial:

1. Read 26 books this year - I have almost 400 ePubs that I keep collecting so it would be good to chip through this. I'll post about the stuff I read in the Book Barn what did you just finish? thread.
2. Since the gym has been fully off limits for awhile, re-establish Couch to 5K and look to Ring Fit Adventure for at-home exercise. I might put up a TFLC log later in the month.
3. Go back to my meditation practice to stay sane in the pandemic.
4. Help my wife find a better job in her field.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
2020 Recap
Things went about as well as they could all things considered. Passed my CFP exam so I can be a financial planner - now I just have the experience requirements left. Bought a piano, which was the best investment I made in 2020 by far. And I finished writing my regency novel first draft after way too long of dicking around with it.

2021 Goals
- Read 50 books
- Teach my kid to read
- Polish and publish novel
- Date night once a week, even if it's just popcorn and a movie/game at home
- Weekly volunteering at the library park
- Install trellises for the blackberries
- Stain deck
- Clean and paint front patio
- Paint house something bright and sassy
- All wage income goes into the 401k and Trad IRA
- All publishing income goes into solo 401k
- In November/December, max out 0% cap gains bracket
- Switch healthcare providers in November/December

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

moana posted:

This sounds really interesting, what are you doing with the land?

Right now I’m talking with our neighbor about putting in a food plot. There are some logs on our trails that I also want to deal with, I can probably just move then to the side by myself, but would prefer to have a friend to drive me to the hospital if a chainsaw disagrees with me as I turn them into chucks suitable for splitting.

Long term I want to see if a burn makes sense or planting different trees, but I have no idea what I’m doing at this stage so it will be baby steps for the next few years.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

moana posted:

2020 Recap
Things went about as well as they could all things considered. Passed my CFP exam so I can be a financial planner - now I just have the experience requirements left.

Very interested to hear about your CFP journey as it continues, I always enjoy your posts in BFC.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm not gonna make any pronunciations as thread starter, this thing is on its own now (though I can put stuff into the opening post if anyone has suggestions)

I need to make mine more specific eventually but this is what I have so far

Buy a house (or have one built). My rental lease ends in August, which gives a timeline, though I'd almost certainly be able to sign a 6-month extension if it's not sorted or I can't find anywhere. I would rather buy a pre-existing property but there are government grants for building a new one. I also don't know much about mortgages or the buying process yet. So right away is "learn about buying property", "figure out what I want", "figure out what I can afford".
Keep saving $1200+ a month from wages (for now) - should be easily achievable. Alternatively, "spend less than half my income (excluding rent)" which is tougher (~$1400? need to do math)
Pay more attention to my budget instead of just comparing how I budgeted to how I spent at the end of each month.
No net worth goal this year, I hit a nice milestone in December 2020 and my accounts are either out of my control or likely to dip thanks to fees, furniture, appliances, ... so no point trying to aim for a big number.

Eat healthier/lose weight
Run the local 10K in under an hour (in October)
Go camping (or a two-day hike) (except I have no camping experience or equipment and none of my friend circle is into it)

I think that'll do for a first draft.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2020 went pretty well, all things considered. Missed some goals due to the uncertainty of the pandemic and focus being elsewhere. This year will be nearly identical to last, but that's okay.

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA
  • 50/month into kids' 529s
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

2020 was kind of a rollercoaster for me. I was furloughed and then laid off in April, but started at a new job in June that is going pretty well. I didn’t hit all of my goals last year, but considering what a poo poo show it was I’m taking it as a win still.

Here are my goals for the upcoming year:

Financial Goals
1. Contribute full amount to Roth IRA - Initiated transfer on 1/1, just waiting for it to go through
2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in January
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k)
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - Current: $5040
6. Get HSA to $1000 - Current: $600

Personal Goals
1. Do yoga 4 days a week
2. Read 25 books - Count so far: 1
3. Read 2 books related to work - Count so far: 0
4. Stop eating out/getting delivery so drat much

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Financial
1. Fully fund Roth IRA
2. Either fully fund wife IRA or in the unfortunate event that she does not have a job for the whole year, fund taxable with same amount.
3a. Max 401(k)
3b. Max wife 401(k) if she gets job.
4. Exceed 60% savings rate

Nonfinancial
1. Exercise 4x week
2. Read 25 books not related to work stuff
3. Move to new apartment and new city

Pipistrelle has inspired me with the book goal, thanks!

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Alright, let's try this again.

2020 Recap
- My student loans: $185k, eligible for PSLF in 2022
- Her student loans: $150k, eligible for PSLF in 2023
- Mortgage at 3.615% on 15 yr
- Shipped the piano from my parent's house to ours, spent a year re-learning how to play

Financial Goals for 2021
- Max out both Roth IRAs done
- Max out both 401ks/457bs (on autopilot)
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income
- PSLF recert in Oct
- $1k/month for 2 529s for the kids (on autopilot)
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference

Personal Goals
- Help out more with kids at home, has been hard because of my schedule
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year
- Revisit professional goals

COVID has forced a lot of extra work on me and my wife, but at least they're paying us for it, and we're just taking that income and throwing it at index funds for now. It's been hard personally and professionally though, and we continue to evaluate whether we want to stay here for much longer or start looking for better options before the kids get much older.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chu020 posted:

COVID has forced a lot of extra work on me and my wife, but at least they're paying us for it, and we're just taking that income and throwing it at index funds for now. It's been hard personally and professionally though, and we continue to evaluate whether we want to stay here for much longer or start looking for better options before the kids get much older.

Same, minus the "paying us (extra) for it." If there's one thing I learned during this COVID situation, it's that your employer doesn't love you and that everyone is replaceable, no matter what they do. Guess I'm lucky I learned it in my 30s.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Long time reader, first time goal poster. 2021 goals:

* Max 2020 Roth IRA before April deadline. Stretch goal: max 2021 Roth IRA this year
* Max HSA
* Don’t touch emergency fund
* Joe Biden forgives the last of my student loans at $7,500. If not, pay these off I guess.
* Give away more money than last year (about 4% of my salary in 2020, would like to be able to comfortably donate 10% eventually.)
* Actually buy the things I’ve saved for (new laptop, phone, bicycle, and PC) and treat myself a little. Loose budget of $200/month for large “fun” purchases. Have already ordered the laptop!
* Stretch goal: increase my 401(k) contribution from 10 to 12%. Depends on student loan situation and possible raise at work.

Other goals:
* Get a vaccine and travel outside my city in 2021
* Use my fancy new planner consistently throughout the year to keep track of projects, and as a record of things that I do, books I read, etc.
* Continue learning 3D modeling and create some art that I’m proud of. Stretch goal: Start a youtube channel and post at least 1 tutorial
* Have some sort of fitness routine, and put more miles on my bike than last year (Which Strava tells me is 602). Complete the entire 50 miles of a local bike route in one go.

Etuni fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 8, 2021

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

House purchase was performed in 2019 and house remodel was completed in 2020. This year my goals are mostly on savings and also making careful decisions.

(1) Expand emergency fund to 1.5x yearly (from 130,000 to 180,000)
(2) Contribute full amount to 401k
(3) Contribute full amount to HSA
(4) Backdoor After-tax full amount to 401k
(5) At least 1-2 additional pieces of furniture that will maintain value over a long time
(6) Travel before the end of the year.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
First year of true financial independence. Only goals are stop thinking about money so much (hard to quantify) & donate entire salary to a couple causes we care about (easier to quantify but I need to decide if I can max the 401k and still consider this goal met)

Thinking about money, personal finance, investments etc 24/7 definitely made this situation possible but I think it's a revolting habit and want to be rid of it ASAP

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

2020 Recap:
-Substantial growth in liquid assets from shoveling as much money as we could (since we didn't travel as much as we usually do)
-Mortgage has 14 years to go at 2.625%...finally putting this in print for the sake of motivation, but as long as we stay on course, when that mortgage is done, we should be FI with a buffer to spare. Just more motivation I guess. Still have a rental property and long-term tenants that have been amazing and didn't lose their jobs.
-A bit of guilt because in a year where Covid19 destroyed lives and I felt like I never do enough as a black man to fight for the downtrodden, this was the best financial year of my life. Even working in mental health, I truly learned the meaning of stress eating. Somehow I didn't gain a megaton of weight because I kept my metabolism at high flow with nervous energy...yay??? Oh brother, I need to keep focused.
-Didn't meet side-hustle monetary goals but I don't care because it's a fun hobby.

2021 goals:

-Max out retirement accounts/HSA as usual
-Add at least the amount of money that I added last year into the taxable brokerage account
-Once the rest of the family is vaccinated, plan/fund trip to Australia. The trip itself may not happen this year, but I want the planning to be established as a 40th birthday gift for my wife.
-Double revenue for side-hustle

Personal goals (ad infinitum at this point)
-Work out 4 times per week, average 1 hour per day
-Read one book per week on average
-Engage at least one quality social contact outside of work each month
-Complete one home maintenance/improvement task each month, no matter how small

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
2021 financial goals (figures in AUD):

- increase donations to 3% of salary
- maintain purchases of $2000 of shares monthly
- keep monthly expenses below $3000
- increase pre-tax superannuation contributions to max out $25k threshold
- stay on track to pay off mortgage by mid-2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I was super excited about budgeting for 2020, and then everything went to poo poo. Now that everything is STILL poo poo but at least in a routine kind of way, I'm ready to give it another go. It's not like I just completely threw out my budget when COVID hit, but I was much more loose with it since I had to buy apocalypse supplies and whatnot. Anyway...

uvar posted:

New year, new thread. Share your goals! Double your net worth? Get a new mattress? Pay off that mobster? Doesn't matter how big or small, don't feel like yours are too petty - :justpost:

My financial goals:
-six months of rent in my emergency fund ($7,822.52 to go)
-six months of monthly bills (electric, gas, etc.) in my monthlies fund ($2,250 to go)
-two years of yearly bills (Amazon Primer, renters' insurance, etc.) in my yearlies fund ($998.90 to go)

My only personal goal:
-get a new mattress (seriously)

The COVID situation is still too ambiguous for me to set any real personal goals. :shrug:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Some attributes about our household situation for context.

Married. Wife and I are both 35. Household income of about $134,000. We reside in Connecticut, so taxes are pretty high. We have two children ages 3 and 6. She is a school teacher and I am a project engineer.

January Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $29,656

Total Investments = $80,678

Total Property = $464,162

Total Retirement = $142,652

Total Assets = $717,138

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $4,781 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $1,281 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $262,043

Total Liabilities = $268,105

Net Worth = $449,033

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT). Currently at $0/$10,000 for 2021.
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so)
- Contribute at least $17,000 to retirement this year. Already maxed out both Roth IRA's this year ($12,000), the rest is on autopilot.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

January Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. $210k

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $14.2k

3. Contribute 3.3k to Roth IRA. $280

4. Pay off my car, which has $2.7k remaining. $2.4k to go

5. Pay off Peloton, $2k at 0% interest. $1,950 to go - these are on backorder, so I am making minimum payments until it arrives out of spite.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.1 extra payments made

In February, I'd like to get my DoorDash habit under control (no more than 5 orders).

spinst fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 31, 2021

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

January update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs Done
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck Done
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month On track
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife On track

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

I never did go back and do a second draft of my goals so they're all still fairly vague.

Buy a house (or have one built): I made like an hour of progress? And a bunch of note taking that wasn't really worthwhile. No useful progress like talking to a mortgage broker to double-check my maths or getting approval or anything. Pretty sure I'll just buy one because it's so much less hassle and all the available empty land is in miserable locations.
Keep saving $1200+ a month from wages (for now): I was on track to save $1300, then smashed my phone while hiking, and the replacement was cheap but technically dropped me below.
Pay more attention to my budget instead of just comparing how I budgeted to how I spent at the end of each month: I didn't do this

Eat healthier/lose weight: no weight loss
Run the local 10K in under an hour (in October): I stopped running in early Jan because I pushed myself too far and needed a break. Went for a run earlier this week and it was a struggle.
Go camping (or a two-day hike) (except I have no camping experience or equipment and none of my friend circle is into it): There's no point having this one on here, it's not a priority.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

- 0% interest consumer debt only (need to paint my house with money)
- Grow pension pot from £87k to £100k
- Grow ISA from £8k to £12k
- Start short term saving £200/month for a newer car in 2022 (and more if current expenditure allows)
- Increase NW from £117k to £140,400 (+20%) - This should be a bit easier this year as I'm now paying down a mortgage on a (hopefully) appreciating asset instead of paying out rent every month

2021 Personal Goals

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Some of these are really hard to shop for when there's a pandemic on and you can't try sitting/lying on them :<
- poo poo or get off the pot wrt a pay rise - I have been 'promised' one better than a CoL adjustment since 2019 and love this job but if winning 'this organisation wouldn't function without you' of the year in December won't convert into a higher paycheck I need to seriously look elsewhere
- Once we're corona proof take another 2 week holiday somewhere nice before everywhere gets busy again
- Take a break from work at lunch each day instead of 'powering through' and ending up working 9am-6pm straight (At least I've completed my 2019 target of stop eating out at lunch :D)

End of Jan update:

- No consumer finance debt yet, this is good!
- Pension pot £89k
- ISA £8.4k
- First £200 transferred
- NW £118k

Personal Goals
- Ordered Sofa, Bed, Mattress, Bedside Tables. Put 50% down on the sofa and 10% down on the Bed/Bedside Tables. Bought mattress outright
- Done nothing here :effort:
- Waiting for the olds to get vaccinated first
- I started doing this really well in the first week of January, took a day off for my birthday and then last week managed to work into the small hours finishing documentation of all things (I hate documentation :mad: )

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, Jan 2021!

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Goal: reduce to under £23,000
Stretch goal: £21,000.

Main Savings: £3,940.55
Goal: increase to over £6,000
Stretch goal: £8,000

Credit Card: £362.15
Goal: payoff in 7 months @ 53.00

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books.
Goal: try 25 actual recipes.
Goal: one holiday in the Uk
Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week.
Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad

Feb 2021
Mortgage:
Target: £23,000 - now £25663.42

Main Savings:
Target: £6,000- now £4240.67

Credit Card:
Target: £0.00 - now £281.35
Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books - 3 read
Goal: try 25 recipes. Haha no
Goal: one holiday in the Uk Haha no
Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week. Haha no

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Financial Goals for 2021

1. Grow my Emergency Fund from $6,000 to $12,000, the equivalent of going from enough to cover 3 months to a little over 6 months minimum expenses
2. Set up an HSA as my main tax advantaged account, keeping my existing Roth as a supplemental
3. Contribute at least $6,000 (16% of gross income) between the HSA and Roth
4. Take any surprise money throughout the year and put all of it into my retirement accounts. See how close I can come to maxing out the $9,600 combined limit
5. Stay within my budget consistently to avoid skimping on savings to cover extra expenses. Aim to stay completely within budget 10 months out of the year
6.Do my own taxes for 2020 instead of foisting them off on my CPA father like I have for the last decade
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year road map to pin down what types of long term savings goals I have outside of retirement savings

Personal Goals for 2021:

1. When restaurants are safe to return to, go on an extended tour of the places serving the spiciest food in LA in one weekend
2. Stop my cursory study of Larousse Gastronomique and really dig in and try to get to a journeyman level with my French cooking
3. Use my sous vide setup more
4. Find a chess club in my area and spend some time actually playing games instead of just doing solo positional puzzles
5. When the Channel Island National Park reopens for camping, spend a long weekend on Santa Cruz and a long weekend on San Miguel Islands

February Update:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: This ended up taking a swerve. I put $3,550 that would have closed most of the gap into my new HSA for tax year 2020. As a result I'll probably only manage to grow my emergency fund to a 4.5 month equivalent this year, but I think increasing the health of my retirement fund is worth the trade offs.
2. Set up an HSA: Done. Made a maxed contribution for 2020 and set up re-occurring contributions to max out 2021. One thing to strike off the list.
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $434 / $6,000 Slightly below track, even accounting for the two upcoming months with 3 biweekly payments. I might not meet this one since I'll still be diverting some excess income to grow my emergency fund for the whole year. No matter what, I should hit 15% of pre-tax income going into retirement savings.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 between HSA/Roth as possible: No progress yet.
5. Stay within budget at least 10 months out of the year: January successful, came 8% under budget. 1/10
6. Do my own taxes: I'm working to fix a 1099G form for partial unemployment assistance that the CA unemployment office messed up (on hold for 2+ hours so far today). Other than that, all other tax related forms are ready to go for the 12th.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: LA is still a plague zone and I'm pushing back my estimate of when I might get vaccinated to Fall 2021 as the vaccine rollout hits snag after snag. Still might be possible to fit this in though.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've been paging through and marking things, but no movement so far.
3. Cook more things sous vide: Cooked one big meal using sous vide protein in January
4. Find a chess club and play more games: No movement on this one
5. Hike the Channel Islands: Long weekend on Santa Cruz planned for early March to catch wildflower season

A month in and I've already made some major changes to my goals, but I think it was for a sound reason, and overall I'm happy with progress so far.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was super excited about budgeting for 2020, and then everything went to poo poo. Now that everything is STILL poo poo but at least in a routine kind of way, I'm ready to give it another go. It's not like I just completely threw out my budget when COVID hit, but I was much more loose with it since I had to buy apocalypse supplies and whatnot. Anyway...

My financial goals:
-six months of rent in my emergency fund ($7,822.52 to go)
-six months of monthly bills (electric, gas, etc.) in my monthlies fund ($2,250 to go)
-two years of yearly bills (Amazon Primer, renters' insurance, etc.) in my yearlies fund ($998.90 to go)

My only personal goal:
-get a new mattress (seriously)

The COVID situation is still too ambiguous for me to set any real personal goals. :shrug:

February updates (just a day late!):
* emergency fund - I got debilitatingly sick for a couple of days so my emergency fund has made no progress
* monthly bills - on track ($798.90 to go)
* yearly bills - no progress
* new mattress - nope

Yay. :geno: I'll make sure to use the mid-month paycheck properly.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Pipistrelle posted:

Financial Goals
1. Contribute full amount to Roth IRA - Initiated transfer on 1/1, just waiting for it to go through
2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in January
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k)
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - Current: $5040
6. Get HSA to $1000 - Current: $600

Personal Goals
1. Do yoga 4 days a week

1. Contribute full amount to Roth IRA - Completed
2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in February - Didn’t do this in January, I don’t know why I keep procrastinating
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - on track
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY - current: $11,096
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - Current: $5772
6. Get HSA to $1000 - Current: $650

Personal Goals
1. Do yoga 4 days a week - Doing pretty well on this

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Late to the thread so I'll post goals plus updates

Increase net worth 50% to $54,000 ($36,282 end of Jan)
Max 2020 Roth - Almost there! ($860 left will finish in this month)
Max 2021 Roth - Starting in March
Increase Emergency fund to $15,000 ($5,700 currently)
Pay off last of credit card ($714 left)
Pay off last of my debt consolidation loan ($3,120 left)
Actively track my spending vs passively tracking like I have been doing for a decade. -This is going..ok January was weird where I had no money left but my sheet said I did???
Negotiate a $200-300 monthly rental discount with landlord (if not then find a cheaper place and move in June)

Personally
Get promotion to senior designer - working on my app now with my manager and figuring out how to achieve the goals he set for me before decision to apply in May.
Work on managing anxiety and stress - finally accomplishing :therapy:
Run 3x a week
Run another half marathon without getting injured
Get back to rock climbing regularly.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

My goals for 2021:

- Stop hitting the overdraft each month (by next month, hopefully)
- Finish paying off student loan (will happen in April)
- Finish paying off card debt (will happen in June)
- Go on a small domestic holiday for the first time since 2015
- Be on the way to a month's income buffer saved by end of the year

Was hoping to push my pension contributions to 10% but we're not getting pay rises this April (again) so that plan's getting shifted to next year at least.