Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Some attributes about our household situation for context.

Married. Wife and I are both 35. Household income of about $134,000. We reside in Connecticut, so taxes are pretty high. We have two children ages 3 and 6. She is a school teacher and I am a project engineer.

February Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $33,145 (+ $3,489)

Total Investments = $87,433 (+ $6,755)

Total Property = $472,054 (+ $7,892)

Total Retirement = $147,163 (+ $4,511)

Total Assets = $739,795 (+ $22,657)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $6,253 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $1,223 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $261,588

Total Liabilities = $269,588

Net Worth = $470,731

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT). Currently at $1,000/$10,000 for 2021.
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Booked a week in Cape Cod, total price $2,700.
- Contribute at least $17,000 to retirement this year. Already maxed out both Roth IRA's this year ($12,000), the rest is on autopilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Do you already have insurance covered - term life for both of you, disability, maybe umbrella insurance? And do you have basic estate planning set up, at the very least for guardianship for your kids? If not, I would add those as financial goals to your list.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

Do you already have insurance covered - term life for both of you, disability, maybe umbrella insurance? And do you have basic estate planning set up, at the very least for guardianship for your kids? If not, I would add those as financial goals to your list.

We have term life, although not enough ($400,000 for me and $100,000 for my wife). It’s been on my mind to increase this for some time. No disability insurance and I consider an umbrella policy every year when my home/auto comes up for renewal. Just never seen the value.

Estate planning is set up, wife and I both have our wills set up.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Umbrella is super cheap (I think mine is like $250/year for $2M) and it would be useful if someone sues you for tripping on your front stoop or if you hit a pedestrian with your car. These are catastrophic things that could derail you, but of course they are rare events (which is why it's cheap). If you have kids over to your house doing stupid kid poo poo, you might want to get it just in case.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, 1 Jan 2021! 1st March updates in bold

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Goal: reduce to under £23,000

Main Savings: £3,940.55
Goal: increase to over £6,000

Credit Card: £362.15
Goal: payoff in 7 months @ 53.00

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books. + 6
Goal: try 25 actual recipes. little to no cooking
Goal: one holiday in the Uk. nil, zip, nada
Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week.. still eating takeout way too much

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 28, 2021

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
March Updates

With extended 0% interest and hold on federal loan payments through October, goals have changed a bit.

Financial Goals for 2021
- Max out both Roth IRAs done
- Max out both 401ks/457bs (on autopilot)
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income now $3k/mo with the loan payment hold
- PSLF recert in Oct
- $1k/month for 2 529s for the kids (on autopilot)
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference successfully refinanced to a 2.25% 15 yr, didn't cash out because I'm a weenie and hate debt

Personal Goals
- Help out more with kids at home, has been hard because of my schedule
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year made it through one a bit faster than I thought, but still working on being able to play it well
- Revisit professional goals still thinking about it, still in a holding pattern for now depending on a possible leadership change in the near future
- Since we're getting a lot extra a month in savings from the loan payment hold, looking into redoing floors/kitchen earlier than originally planned

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cheese eats mouse posted:

Late to the thread so I'll post goals plus updates

Increase net worth 50% to $54,000 ($36,282 end of Jan)
Max 2020 Roth - Almost there! ($860 left will finish in this month)
Max 2021 Roth - Starting in March
Increase Emergency fund to $15,000 ($5,700 currently)
Pay off last of credit card ($714 left)
Pay off last of my debt consolidation loan ($3,120 left)
Actively track my spending vs passively tracking like I have been doing for a decade. -This is going..ok January was weird where I had no money left but my sheet said I did???
Negotiate a $200-300 monthly rental discount with landlord (if not then find a cheaper place and move in June)

Personally
Get promotion to senior designer - working on my app now with my manager and figuring out how to achieve the goals he set for me before decision to apply in May.
Work on managing anxiety and stress - finally accomplishing :therapy:
Run 3x a week
Run another half marathon without getting injured
Get back to rock climbing regularly.

Increase net worth 50% to $54,000 ($+6500 )Feb: $11,200 left (This one might have been to easy)
Max 2020 Roth - $330 left
Increase Emergency fund to $15,000 - (+200)$5900
Pay off last of credit card - (-$580) $134 left
Pay off last of my debt consolidation loan - $2,891
Actively track my spending vs passively tracking like I have been doing for a decade. - Found where things were going wrong. Will be accurate now.
Negotiate a $200-300 monthly rental discount with landlord (if not then find a cheaper place and move in June) - I might be allergic to the metal of our elevator. So might be moving

Personally
Get promotion to senior designer - working on my app now with my manager and figuring out how to achieve the goals he set for me before decision to apply in May. Still ongoing. Debating some UX certification in a management track. Went to a UX research conference and will be continuing my education on the strat side with a roadmapping course paid for by work
Work on managing anxiety and stress - Found a local psych with a cheaper co-pay
Run 3x a week My big toe needs rest. PT and me are working on the root cause of this
Run another half marathon without getting injured. Ran a 10k for the first time since May 2020
Get back to rock climbing regularly. Definitely a mid-year goal after SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 27, 2021

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

February Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. $213k

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $14.4k

3. Contribute 3.3k to Roth IRA. $560

4. Pay off my car, which has $2.7k remaining. $2.2k to go

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $1,960 to go - these are on backorder, so I am making minimum payments until it arrives out of spite.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.23 extra payments made

spinst fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 28, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

February Update:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: This ended up taking a swerve. I put $3,550 that would have closed most of the gap into my new HSA for tax year 2020. As a result I'll probably only manage to grow my emergency fund to a 4.5 month equivalent this year, but I think increasing the health of my retirement fund is worth the trade offs.
2. Set up an HSA: Done. Made a maxed contribution for 2020 and set up re-occurring contributions to max out 2021. One thing to strike off the list.
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $434 / $6,000 Slightly below track, even accounting for the two upcoming months with 3 biweekly payments. I might not meet this one since I'll still be diverting some excess income to grow my emergency fund for the whole year. No matter what, I should hit 15% of pre-tax income going into retirement savings.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 between HSA/Roth as possible: No progress yet.
5. Stay within budget at least 10 months out of the year: January successful, came 8% under budget. 1/10
6. Do my own taxes: I'm working to fix a 1099G form for partial unemployment assistance that the CA unemployment office messed up (on hold for 2+ hours so far today). Other than that, all other tax related forms are ready to go for the 12th.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: LA is still a plague zone and I'm pushing back my estimate of when I might get vaccinated to Fall 2021 as the vaccine rollout hits snag after snag. Still might be possible to fit this in though.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've been paging through and marking things, but no movement so far.
3. Cook more things sous vide: Cooked one big meal using sous vide protein in January
4. Find a chess club and play more games: No movement on this one
5. Hike the Channel Islands: Long weekend on Santa Cruz planned for early March to catch wildflower season

A month in and I've already made some major changes to my goals, but I think it was for a sound reason, and overall I'm happy with progress so far.

March Updates:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.3 months, on track for at least 4.5 months by the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $890/ $6,000 Improved on the rate slightly from last month, but still on a path to undershoot my goal by a few hundred dollars. Barring a major windfall that lets me max out my emergency fund, probably going to fall just short. Since it was maxing out my HSA for 2020 that delayed completing my emergency fund, I'm not sweating if I have a small gap in retirement saving for the year.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 months out of the year: February successful, came in 5% under budget, for 6.5% under budget for the year. 2/10
6. Do my own taxes: Done, Federal and State filed, Federal refund received, State tax bill paid
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year financial road map: Done. Right now I don't have a long term savings goal beyond retirement. I identified a few short and medium term savings goals and have a rough plan of how to achieve them.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: One of the two people I would do this with has been fully vaccinated. With the improving vaccine rollout I'm kind of hoping this can happen in summer.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've got my recipes, I'll cook at least one in March
3: Cook more things sous vide: Rolling along strong cooking steaks or burgers once a month, thinking about trying out with fish
4. Find a chess club and play more games: I'm playing more games online, but haven't looked at a chess club. Maybe I have an aversion to getting better.
5. Hike the Channel Islands: I'll be out there in one week. Looking forward to it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

- 0% interest consumer debt only (need to paint my house with money)
- Grow pension pot from £87k to £100k
- Grow ISA from £8k to £12k
- Start short term saving £200/month for a newer car in 2022 (and more if current expenditure allows)
- Increase NW from £117k to £140,400 (+20%) - This should be a bit easier this year as I'm now paying down a mortgage on a (hopefully) appreciating asset instead of paying out rent every month

2021 Personal Goals

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Some of these are really hard to shop for when there's a pandemic on and you can't try sitting/lying on them :<
- poo poo or get off the pot wrt a pay rise - I have been 'promised' one better than a CoL adjustment since 2019 and love this job but if winning 'this organisation wouldn't function without you' of the year in December won't convert into a higher paycheck I need to seriously look elsewhere
- Once we're corona proof take another 2 week holiday somewhere nice before everywhere gets busy again
- Take a break from work at lunch each day instead of 'powering through' and ending up working 9am-6pm straight (At least I've completed my 2019 target of stop eating out at lunch :D)

End of Feb:

- No consumer debt still, going well chugging along paying things in full instead
- Pension pot back to £87k, despite number go up the bond holdings are taking a thorough beating. Not concerned as I wont be cashing this in for ~30 years
- ISA £8.5k
- £400, slow and steady on this one
- NW £116.5k, back to Jan on this but again lots of year to go yet

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables |
- I have been promised, PROMISED that there is a salary reband for me in with HR and we will find out what this is by the end of next month, along with backpay to the start of the year
- Olds are getting vaccinated at a good rate, should be good for a September two week holiday again but not counting any chickens yet
- Errr, good and bad on this one. Managed to get out for a walk a few times and made a point to stop and ignore email/teams for an hour on others but have just nipped down to the kitchen to get a sandwich and gone back up to the office as well

Not pleased, but not mortified. We'll see where the chips fall for this alleged raise...

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

February update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I missed it this month.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife On track

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Pipistrelle posted:

1. Contribute full amount to Roth IRA - Completed
2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in February - Didn’t do this in January, I don’t know why I keep procrastinating
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - on track
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY - current: $11,096
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - Current: $5772
6. Get HSA to $1000 - Current: $650

Personal Goals
1. Do yoga 4 days a week - Doing pretty well on this
2. Read 25 books - Count so far: 1
3. Read 2 books related to work - Count so far: 0
4. Stop eating out/getting delivery so drat much

2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in March - still didn’t do, idk
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - on track (current: $3,007.69)
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY - current: $11,478
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - Current: $6172
6. Get HSA to $1000 - Current: $737

Personal Goals
2. Read 25 books - Count so far: 3
3. Read 2 books related to work - Count so far: 0

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
March Update:

quote:

I need to figure out some stretch goals for us this year. I'm not sure whether that should be Net Worth, branching out to an (really, any) investment other than index funds, etc. My wife and I also need to figure out some career stuff, and whether both of us are happy with where we are professionally/geographically.

Welp, March Update is a big one:
1. My wife and I are moving across the country for new jobs. Her job will give an immediate 80k pay increase, with less work, and cut her commute from 2 hours/day to 20-30 minutes/day.
2. My new job will lead to an immediate 20k or so pay-bump, followed by a huge retirement match/increase, followed by a huge pay increase after 2 years. Unfortunately, my new job does not qualify for loan forgiveness, which means I'll have to pay back my student loans.
3. Unfortunately, no 401k matching for either of us in year 1.

So:
Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until February.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%

Financial Goals for 2021:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July, 11k/month in to a taxable account.
- Max out our 401ks/457s
- Max out our HSA
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in October.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

2021 Financial Goals:
  1. House Deposit to £12,000 (currently £5,958)
  2. Side-project income of £3,000 (gross)
  3. Register for and submit my FY20-21 tax Self Assessment by end of June.

End of February/Start of March update:
  1. £7,158.46 - ahead of £7,056 YTD target;
  2. £23.54 - not even close to the £500 YTD I'd need (I really need to get off my rear end on this one); and
  3. Nothing to do for another month except keep my records up to date.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Mattress/boxspring (goal complete! :toot:) = $576
Pillows = $26
Emergency vet visit that turned out to be a UTI that was BARELY covered by pet insurance = $401 $21.70 was covered. :geno:

Total = $1,003 = not a whole lot of progress of any kind this past month :negative:
There's also the fact that I have a neurologist appointment on the 5th that may or may not cost $1,400 despite the fact that it's just a checkup.

Also, I'm a dumbass who didn't post concrete financial goals, only money that I had to add to basically unknown amounts in each savings account. I suck at this. :sigh: I also reworked my budgetary goals so that they would seem a little less daunting, reducing them so they're more realistically attainable and thinking of them as dollar amounts rather than months/years' worth. This is the final draft -- no Blue Story bullshit, I promise.

My financial goals, 2.0:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.92 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($2,497.82 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,737.71 to go)

My new personal goals now that I have a sweet rear end mattress:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day
-eat breakfast at home four times a week

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Financial
1. Fully fund Roth IRA ya bub
2. Either fully fund wife IRA or in the unfortunate event that she does not have a job for the whole year, fund taxable with same amount. did the 6k in to taxable but still hopefully wife will get job!
3a. Max 401(k) on pace
3b. Max wife 401(k) if she gets job. see 2
4. Exceed 60% savings rate on pace, 70.4% thus far

Nonfinancial
1. Exercise 4x week yea bub we doin good here
2. Read 25 books not related to work stuff I think I've read three, that's not gonna cut it. Half way through two others, though!
3. Move to new apartment and new city decision time is end of this month, probably back 2 the homeland in early June though

additions
get a god drat lawyer / tax guy / some poo poo to look over some Important Paperwork

Pipistrelle has inspired me with the book goa - that I'm falling behind on already! :(

moana
Jun 18, 2005

moana posted:

2021 Goals
- Read 50 books - on track. Finished book #13. My favorite so far has been a collection of short stories by Ted Chiang - he's an excellent sci fi author
- Teach my kid to read - she can read phonetically now, it's slow going but she loves it and that's the most important thing.Her favorite books are the Dog Man comics and Sonic
- Polish and publish novel ugh. Halfway done with editing but I am at the point of hating it. Just gotta power through.
- Date night once a week, even if it's just popcorn and a movie/game at home doing great with this one!
- Weekly volunteering at the library park - nope, more like monthly.
- Install trellises for the blackberries
- Stain deck
- Clean and paint front patio
- Paint house something bright and sassy
- All wage income goes into the 401k and Trad IRA on track
- All publishing income goes into solo 401k on track
- In November/December, max out 0% cap gains bracket
- Switch healthcare providers in November/December

New goal: pass the Series 65 in a couple weeks. I have not studied at all so here's hoping that just reading the stock picking and long term threads are good enough to give me a pass ;)

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Financial
1. Fully fund Roth IRA ya bub
2. Either fully fund wife IRA or in the unfortunate event that she does not have a job for the whole year, fund taxable with same amount. did the 6k in to taxable but still hopefully wife will get job!
3a. Max 401(k) on pace
3b. Max wife 401(k) if she gets job. see 2
4. Exceed 60% savings rate on pace, 70.4% thus far

Nonfinancial
1. Exercise 4x week yea bub we doin good here
2. Read 25 books not related to work stuff I think I've read three, that's not gonna cut it. Half way through two others, though!
3. Move to new apartment and new city decision time is end of this month, probably back 2 the homeland in early June though

additions
get a god drat lawyer / tax guy / some poo poo to look over some Important Paperwork

Pipistrelle has inspired me with the book goa - that I'm falling behind on already! :(

I’m also at 3, I guess we’ll fall behind together :(:respek::(

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You should be able to fund your wife's IRA: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/spousal-ira.asp

edit: Unless you make too much

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 14, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can still fund just not deduct, i think. I forgot to note that we actually did this.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

March Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. $217k

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $14.6k

3. Contribute 3.3k to Roth IRA. $860

4. Pay off my car, which has $2.7k remaining. $550 to go

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $1.9k to go

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.31 extra payments made

edit: I was originally saving up a large payment for the Peloton, to be paid when it arrived (hopefully this week). Instead, I decided to put that payment towards the car, since the car loan accrues interest and the Peloton doesn't. Looks like now only two more months to pay off the car, then I can put that monthly amount towards the Peloton. Neat!

spinst fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 28, 2021

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

March update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard I have started this process. Now to wait for a six-figure check in the mail because my former employer's 401k provider won't do a direct rollover. :ohdear:

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I took 2 days since I missed last month. One day was a trip to the aquarium with the kids, and the other was a complete lazy day playing video games.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine I keep tinkering away at this.
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife We missed a few days because my wife got sick, but on track otherwise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pipistrelle posted:

I’m also at 3, I guess we’ll fall behind together :(:respek::(

getting back on track! I have finished five, and almost finished with a sixth!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of Feb:

- No consumer debt still, going well chugging along paying things in full instead
- Pension pot back to £87k, despite number go up the bond holdings are taking a thorough beating. Not concerned as I wont be cashing this in for ~30 years
- ISA £8.5k
- £400, slow and steady on this one
- NW £116.5k, back to Jan on this but again lots of year to go yet

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables |
- I have been promised, PROMISED that there is a salary reband for me in with HR and we will find out what this is by the end of next month, along with backpay to the start of the year
- Olds are getting vaccinated at a good rate, should be good for a September two week holiday again but not counting any chickens yet
- Errr, good and bad on this one. Managed to get out for a walk a few times and made a point to stop and ignore email/teams for an hour on others but have just nipped down to the kitchen to get a sandwich and gone back up to the office as well

Not pleased, but not mortified. We'll see where the chips fall for this alleged raise...

End of Mar

- No consumer debt still
- Pension pot £90k
- ISA £8.8k
- £600 still going slowly here
- NW £120k

Personal Goals
- :yotj: got +10% after having 7 dangled in front of me for the longest time, happy enough to call off the interviewing-via-zoom jobsearch for now
- Partner got her first shot last weekend so just waiting on the call for me now and we'll have a roadmap to a holiday in late summer, just need to find somewhere that isn't pandemichell
- Falling out of the habit here which is really bad, need to reset and regroup to how I was at the start of the year after Easter

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

The theme for 2021 will be Simplicity and Focus

Financial Goals
1. No new debt. I turn in my lease in May and right now we are planning to be a one-car household. This could change if I have to go back to the office full-time.
2. Pay off my last student loan. Current balance: $4572. I want this gone quickly, and may just pay it all off at once.
3. Increase 401k contribution to 15%.
4. Put at least $150/month into my newly-opened taxable account.
5. Emergency fund from $20k to $25k.

Personal Goals
Read a book per month
Do 15 workouts per month (go for a run, a cycle class, or workout in the gym)
Update my resume and start putting feelers out

1. Still on track
2. Balance down to $3,281 (28.2% of goal)
3. Increased in February. With an out-of-cycle raise, I will max out my 401k this year
4. On track. $650/$450 YTD, 144% of goal)
5. Behind track. $20,954 (19% of goal)

Books: 3/3 YTD
Workouts: 9/15, 7/15, 7/15
Resume: Goal is on hold. I was given an out-of-cycle raise and an options grant, so want to see how things go a bit more

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

As things stand, 01 April 2021!

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Goal: £23,000
Currently: £25,238.83 - (going very slow, things happening in the background, nothing concrete.)

Main Savings: £3,940.55
Currently: £6,279.24!!
Stretch goal: £8,000

Currently: 149.32

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books. + 1 this month
Goal: try 25 actual recipes. Nope. Ditching this.
Goal: one holiday in the Uk. Booked for October! A week in a cottage on the Lincolnshire /Fenland border. Going with Mum and Sis, cottage was under 500 as off peak.
Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week.
Nope. Ditching this.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Q1 Update!

* Max 2020 Roth IRA before April deadline. Stretch goal: max 2021 Roth IRA this year About to contribute $1k towards 2021!
* Max HSA On auto-pilot via paycheck deductions
* Don’t touch emergency fund So far, so good.
* Joe Biden forgives the last of my student loans at $7,500. If not, pay these off I guess. Still waiting on this, Joe.
* Give away more money than last year (about 4% of my salary in 2020, would like to be able to comfortably donate 10% eventually.) I keep throwing $20-50 at various mutual aid requests and projects, should be on track for this but will sit down and calculate it next quarter.
* Actually buy the things I’ve saved for (new laptop, phone, bicycle, and PC) and treat myself a little. Loose budget of $200/month for large “fun” purchases. Eh, buying things is hard. Decided I don't need a PC anyway since I have a new laptop.
* Stretch goal: increase my 401(k) contribution from 10 to 12%. Depends on student loan situation and possible raise at work. I did get a raise, but will need to see what my actual take-home pay increase is before I make a decision on this.

Other goals:
* Get a vaccine and travel outside my city in 2021 No progress. I'm technically eligible for a vaccine now but can't find any appointments in the city.
* Use my fancy new planner consistently throughout the year to keep track of projects, and as a record of things that I do, books I read, etc. Failure on this.
* Continue learning 3D modeling and create some art that I’m proud of. Still practicing. Stretch goal: Start a youtube channel and post at least 1 tutorial
* Have some sort of fitness routine, and put more miles on my bike than last year (Which Strava tells me is 602). Complete the entire 50 miles of a local bike route in one go. Lifting in my basement gym and loving it, not really biking much until it gets warmer.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
My job IPO'd so I'm re-jiggering.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Increase net worth 50% to $54,000 ($+6500 )Feb: $11,200 left (This one might have been to easy) Sitting at 77k!
Max 2020 Roth - $330 left
Increase Emergency fund to $15,000 - (+200)$5900 After estimated tax and debt payments I am sitting at about $23,000
Pay off last of credit card - (-$580) $134 left
Pay off last of my debt consolidation loan - $2,891
Actively track my spending vs passively tracking like I have been doing for a decade. - Found where things were going wrong. Will be accurate now.
Negotiate a $200-300 monthly rental discount with landlord (if not then find a cheaper place and move in June) - I might be allergic to the metal of our elevator. So might be moving

Personally
]Get promotion to senior designer - working on my app now with my manager and figuring out how to achieve the goals he set for me before decision to apply in May. Still ongoing. Debating some UX certification in a management track. Went to a UX research conference and will be continuing my education on the strat side with a roadmapping course paid for by work
Work on managing anxiety and stress - Found a local psych with a cheaper co-pay[/s]

New goals for this month
Need to convert my Traditional to Roth to do a Backdoor Roth
Pay estimated taxes for conversion AND gain proceeds
Pay off last of my debt consolidation loan - 2,433.73

New goals for the year
Divest shares at the end of the our lock up
Max ESPP and sell in December
Max Backdoor Roth
Pay off student loans

Done
Discount on rent has been negotiated 8% off to $240! Partner wants to ask for more, 10%
Submitted accomplishments to make the case for my promotion. Will start hearing more in this quarter
Registered for the first two classes for UX management cert
Making great mental health strides :)

Personally
Run 3x a week Still need to rest and work on PT. Could be broken
Run another half marathon without getting injured. I am injured
Get back to rock climbing regularly. I got vaxxed! May is looking like a solid start date!
Go on vacation!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 2, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

March Updates:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.3 months, on track for at least 4.5 months by the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $890/ $6,000 Improved on the rate slightly from last month, but still on a path to undershoot my goal by a few hundred dollars. Barring a major windfall that lets me max out my emergency fund, probably going to fall just short. Since it was maxing out my HSA for 2020 that delayed completing my emergency fund, I'm not sweating if I have a small gap in retirement saving for the year.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 months out of the year: February successful, came in 5% under budget, for 6.5% under budget for the year. 2/10
6. Do my own taxes: Done, Federal and State filed, Federal refund received, State tax bill paid
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year financial road map: Done. Right now I don't have a long term savings goal beyond retirement. I identified a few short and medium term savings goals and have a rough plan of how to achieve them.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: One of the two people I would do this with has been fully vaccinated. With the improving vaccine rollout I'm kind of hoping this can happen in summer.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've got my recipes, I'll cook at least one in March
3: Cook more things sous vide: Rolling along strong cooking steaks or burgers once a month, thinking about trying out with fish
4. Find a chess club and play more games: I'm playing more games online, but haven't looked at a chess club. Maybe I have an aversion to getting better.
5. Hike the Channel Islands: I'll be out there in one week. Looking forward to it.

April Update (Q1 already, how time flies):

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.6 months of funds, with a good chance to get to at least 5 months by the end of the year. Thank for the third stimulus check Joe!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $1,606/$6,000 Managed to up the pace, now on track to meet and possibly pass this mark. Still not going to sweat it if I fall a little short.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: March succesful, came in 3.5% under budget, 5.5% under budget for the year so far. 3/10
6. Do my own taxes: Not as done as I thought. Hopefully the IRS sorts out the situation around refunding excess payments on unemployment insurance. This is why I never try to get things done early! :argh:
7. Complete a 5, 10, and 20 Year financial road map Done

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone involved has had at least one vaccine shot. On track to safely doing this during the summer.
2. Cook more French cuisin: I let this one slip, I need to stop taking the lazy route of coming up with easy recipes while shopping
3. Cook more sous vide: Definitely doing some fish this month, in addition to steaks
4: Find a chess club and playmore games: Probably going to drop this
5 Hike the Channel Islands: Done. Lovely camping trip, it had been way too long since the last time

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

End of March Update:

2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in March - started this, just waiting on vanguard to send me the check so I can deposit it with Fidelity. Really weirds me out, hopefully my mail person doesn’t mess up... I wish they could just do a transfer between them instead of mailing me a check
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - on track (current: $4,511)
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY - current: $12,557
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - Current: $7172
6. Get HSA to $1000 - Current: $875

Personal Goals
2. Read 25 books - Count so far: 4
3. Read 2 books related to work - Count so far: 0 finished, but in the middle of one
4. Stop eating out/getting delivery so drat much - considering deleting this one, we’ve been pretty good but until the pandemic is over I’m not sure I care a ton about it. Getting delivery is basically entertainment at this point for us

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

getting back on track! I have finished five, and almost finished with a sixth!

Nice! Good job getting back on track! I’m gonna have to pick up my pace ha

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mattress/boxspring (goal complete! :toot:) = $576
Pillows = $26
Emergency vet visit that turned out to be a UTI that was BARELY covered by pet insurance = $401 $21.70 was covered. :geno:

Total = $1,003 = not a whole lot of progress of any kind this past month :negative:
There's also the fact that I have a neurologist appointment on the 5th that may or may not cost $1,400 despite the fact that it's just a checkup.

Also, I'm a dumbass who didn't post concrete financial goals, only money that I had to add to basically unknown amounts in each savings account. I suck at this. :sigh: I also reworked my budgetary goals so that they would seem a little less daunting, reducing them so they're more realistically attainable and thinking of them as dollar amounts rather than months/years' worth. This is the final draft -- no Blue Story bullshit, I promise.

My financial goals, 2.0:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.92 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($2 3,497.82 to go) edit: a wild miscalculation
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,737.71 to go)

My new personal goals now that I have a sweet rear end mattress:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day
-eat breakfast at home four times a week

Thing that I thought was a neurologist appointment bill that turned out to just be random medical debt = $1,439.11
Miscellaneous medical debt that they chose not to tell me about until after they tried to sell it = $351.90 seriously, I have no idea what this is for, but it was on the NYU Langone site so it at least probably isn't a scam
More weird cat behavior = $241.83

Total = $2,032.84 = MAJOR setback. Fun times. Hopefully I'll get at least slightly reimbursed for the medical/cat expenses, but I'm choosing to act as if I won't, because I don't want to put any faith in hypothetical money. Without further ado,

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($4,548.59 to go) -- medical/cat debt count as emergencies
-$7,000 for travel ($2,698.66 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,780.55 to go) -- I actually had to pay a yearly bill

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I don't know why I can't just be thirsty more than an hour before I have to go to bed, but I sure am trying
-eat breakfast at home four times a week this is working quite well
Throwing in a "get down to 200 pounds preferably by the end of June but definitely by the end of the year" goal. (edit: never too late to fix a typo.)

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 6, 2021

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Married. Wife and I are both 35. Household income of about $134,000. We reside in Connecticut, so taxes are pretty high. We have two children ages 3 and 7. She is a school teacher and I am a project engineer.

March Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $40,215 (+ $7,070)

Total Investments = $96,168 (+ $8,735)

Total Property = $485,296 (+ $13,242)

Total Retirement = $153,184 $147,163 (+ $6,021)

Total Assets = $774,863 (+ $35,068)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $7,849 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $1,164 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $260,675

Total Liabilities = $268,828

Net Worth = $506,035

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT). Currently at $5,200/$10,000 for 2021.
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Booked a week in Cape Cod, total price $2,700.
- Contribute at least $17,000 to retirement this year. Already maxed out both Roth IRA's this year ($12,000), the rest is on autopilot.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

uvar posted:

Buy a house (or have one built).

I haven't updated much because my goals were fairly vague or yes/no things but :grovertoot: house search is over, offer got accepted for a near-perfect place, slightly over my original (somewhat unrealistic) budget but still nicely affordable. Settlement and all the rest should line up nicely with my current lease ending, too, I'm not cutting things too close there.

So that's my big project hopefully ticked off. New goal is to make sure I don't mess up the finance and keep on top of all the other costs and fees. After that, move in, after that, figure out what my new budget looks like, and then eventually get to work on my other goals like "get fit" because I foresee a lot of takeaways in the near future.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

April update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard Done!

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I did not take a day off this month.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine This has stalled.
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife My wife is focused on other things right now. Big failure this month.

Not too happy about those personal goals. We'll refocus in May.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 30, 2021

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Married. Wife and I are both 35. Household income of about $134,000. We reside in Connecticut, so taxes are pretty high. We have two children ages 3 and 7. She is a school teacher and I am a project engineer.

April Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $38,993 (- $1,322)

Total Investments = $102,242 (+ $6,074)

Total Property = $496,071 (+ $10,775)

Total Retirement = $159,119 (+ $5,935)

Total Assets = $796,425 (+ $21,562)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $6,328 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $1,106 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $260,675

Total Liabilities = $267,434

Net Worth = $528,991

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT). Currently at $8,930/$10,000 for 2021.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
As things stand, 01 may 2021!

Mortgage
Goal: £23,000
Currently: £25,167.83 - (situation changed, looking to move)

Main Savings
Currently: £6,980.54
Stretch goal: £8,000

Currently: 100.89

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books. + 0 this month
Goal: one holiday in the Uk. Booked for October.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of Mar

- No consumer debt still
- Pension pot £90k
- ISA £8.8k
- £600 still going slowly here
- NW £120k

Personal Goals
- :yotj: got +10% after having 7 dangled in front of me for the longest time, happy enough to call off the interviewing-via-zoom jobsearch for now
- Partner got her first shot last weekend so just waiting on the call for me now and we'll have a roadmap to a holiday in late summer, just need to find somewhere that isn't pandemichell
- Falling out of the habit here which is really bad, need to reset and regroup to how I was at the start of the year after Easter

End of April

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £91k
- ISA £9.2k
- £800 here, steady as she goes
- NW £122k

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Outdoor Furniture | New set of kitchen knives (thanks payrise)
- :yotj: done here
- Vaccine rollout is creeping down to the 40+ range now, a couple more weeks and I should be called up
- I took the last week off as a congratulations to myself for securing the pay rise and did nothing but play video games. It was awesome.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Pipistrelle posted:

End of March Update:

2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in March - started this, just waiting on vanguard to send me the check so I can deposit it with Fidelity. Really weirds me out, hopefully my mail person doesn’t mess up... I wish they could just do a transfer between them instead of mailing me a check
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - on track (current: $4,511)
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY - current: $12,557
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - current: $7172
6. Get HSA to $1000 - current: $875

Personal Goals
2. Read 25 books - Count so far: 4
3. Read 2 books related to work - Count so far: 0 finished, but in the middle of one

End of April Update

2. Rollover trad IRA to 401(k) in March - Completed :toot:
3. Contribute full amount to 401(k) - on track (current: $6,015)
4. Increase house emergency fund to $15k by EOY - current: $12,882
5. Increase new house fund to $10,000 - current: $8,850
6. Get HSA to $1000 - current: $967

Personal Goals
1. Do yoga 4 days a week - Fell off of this one, we’ve been stressed/sick. Gonna try again next week
2. Read 25 books - Count so far: 4, really failing hard on this one

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

April Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. $221k

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $14.8k

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $1160

4. Pay off my car, which has $2.7k remaining. $270 to go

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $1.6k to go

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.4 extra payments made

Super excited to pay off my car next month! It only has like 9k miles on it, so that (hopefully) means I won't have a car payment again for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
No additional major setbacks this month. Also, as of April 13, I work in an office again! :toot: (unironically I am overjoyed, working from home was torture)

YeahTubaMike posted:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($4,548.59 to go) -- medical/cat debt count as emergencies
-$7,000 for travel ($2,698.66 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,780.55 to go) -- I actually had to pay a yearly bill

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I don't know why I can't just be thirsty more than an hour before I have to go to bed, but I sure am trying
-eat breakfast at home four times a week this is working quite well
Throwing in a "get down to 200 pounds preferably by the end of June but definitely by the end of the year" goal. (edit: never too late to fix a typo.)

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.77 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,998.46 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,695.54 to go)

Meager progress, but ONLY progress. :)

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I'm not sure why, but drinking water in an office makes this way easier.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week This has been a MASSIVE failure. Who knew that having a commute and a hygiene routine that I can no longer postpone to the middle of the day would make this more difficult to accomplish? :v:
-get down to 200 pounds 29.6 lbs to go.