Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

April Update (Q1 already, how time flies):

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.6 months of funds, with a good chance to get to at least 5 months by the end of the year. Thank for the third stimulus check Joe!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $1,606/$6,000 Managed to up the pace, now on track to meet and possibly pass this mark. Still not going to sweat it if I fall a little short.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 between HSA/Roth as possible: No progress yet.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: March succesful, came in 3.5% under budget, 5.5% under budget for the year so far. 3/10
6. Do my own taxes: Not as done as I thought. Hopefully the IRS sorts out the situation around refunding excess payments on unemployment insurance. This is why I never try to get things done early! :argh:
7. Complete a 5, 10, and 20 Year financial road map Done

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone involved has had at least one vaccine shot. On track to safely doing this during the summer.
2. Cook more French cuisin: I let this one slip, I need to stop taking the lazy route of coming up with easy recipes while shopping
3. Cook more sous vide: Definitely doing some fish this month, in addition to steaks
4: Find a chess club and playmore games: Probably going to drop this
5 Hike the Channel Islands: Done. Lovely camping trip, it had been way too long since the last time

May Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.7 months. Now that I'm out of windfall season it'll be steady contributions until hopefully more windfalls at the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,067/$6,000 Continuing to keep a good pace.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: No progress yet.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: April successful, but just barely. Came in 0% under budget, 4.1% under budget for the year so far. 4/10
6. Do my own taxes: Should hopefully be entirely finished when IRS auto-corrects my unemployment situation this month.
7. Complete a 5, 10, and 20 year financial road map. Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone has all their shots, now just need to set a list of restaurants and schedule when.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made ratatouille and cassoulet, but I want to go for something more challenging next time
3. Cook more sous vide: Going to mark this as done, getting a lot of use out of it.
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped
5 Hike the Channel Islands Done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Some attributes about our household situation for context.

Married. I am 36, wife is 35. Household income of about $134,000. We reside in Connecticut, so taxes are pretty high. We have two children ages 4 and 7. She is a school teacher and I am a project engineer.

May Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $52,289 (+ $13,296)

Total Investments = $94,461 (- $7,781)

Total Property = $496,268 (+ $197)

Total Retirement = $160,364 (+ $1,245)

Total Assets = $803,382 (+ $6,957)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $9,780 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $990 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $260,216

Total Liabilities = $270,126

Net Worth = $533,256

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT). Maxed out this month ($10,000/$10,000)
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Booked a week in Cape Cod, total price $2,700. Also booked 8 days in Mexico this June.
- Contribute at least $17,000 to retirement this year. Already maxed out both Roth IRA's this year ($12,000), the rest is on autopilot.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

May Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. $232k (I allowed myself to add $5k in house value. Zillow, etc. tell me it has raised in value by $30k.)

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $14.8k (Vet bill this month.)

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $1460 contributed.

4. Pay off my car, which has $2.7k remaining. Complete! Car is paid off as of today. Feels good, man.

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $1,417 to go.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.51 extra payments made.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of April

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £91k
- ISA £9.2k
- £800 here, steady as she goes
- NW £122k

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Outdoor Furniture | New set of kitchen knives (thanks payrise)
- :yotj: done here
- Vaccine rollout is creeping down to the 40+ range now, a couple more weeks and I should be called up
- I took the last week off as a congratulations to myself for securing the pay rise and did nothing but play video games. It was awesome.

End of May

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £92k
- ISA £9.7k
- Car fund £1,000
- NW £123k

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Outdoor Furniture | New set of kitchen knives - No changes here this month but Bed/Bedside Tables and Easy Chair have now all been delivered and final payments made for all
- :yotj: done here
- :toot: Got Pfizer #1 last week, just had a mild sore arm and managed to play cricket the day after so all good. Clock is running for the second in 8-12 weeks. Partner has her AstraZenica #2 booked in for Saturday. What actually matters more is that both sets of parents have now had two jabs +3 weeks
- When the rain finally subsided I've managed to spend lunch hour in the garden :toot:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Thankfully things continue to be relatively stable. Office life is treating me well. :)

Here's something that I've realized about myself -- I have a tendency to want to complete goals, rather than do the "slow & steady" thing. I saw that I had the option of completing my travel goal on the spot, which would have been cutting it unnecessarily close & making it harder to reach my other goals. I had to stop myself from doing that this month, but the urge was there.

Also, I am way, way, way, WAY behind on my bill savings goals, and I'm starting to think that I should complete my emergency/travel goals first, then use the money that used to go toward emergency/travel & put it toward bills. I have no reason to believe that my job is in danger (famous last words), so I think that is a perfect end-of-year goal, considering where I'm currently at. Thanks for letting me vent/talk this out.

YeahTubaMike posted:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.77 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,998.46 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,695.54 to go)

Meager progress, but ONLY progress. :)

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I'm not sure why, but drinking water in an office makes this way easier.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week This has been a MASSIVE failure. Who knew that having a commute and a hygiene routine that I can no longer postpone to the middle of the day would make this more difficult to accomplish? :v:
-get down to 200 pounds 29.6 lbs to go.

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.58 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,498.24 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.88 to go) :corsair:

Meager progress, but ONLY progress...again. I don't know whether to try saving more money and risk rushing too much, or keep going like this. The year isn't even close to over so not being completely done with all of this by like August is not something that I necessarily have to do, a fact I have to keep reminding myself.

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I mean, obviously it's still a goal, but I'm crossing it out because the habit is established and it's not going anywhere.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I still suck at this. Why must the office be practically on top of a Dunkin Donuts? :smithicide:
-get down to 200 pounds 28.8 lbs to go. :btroll:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 1, 2021

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

May update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month We took a day to bring the kids to a nearby Children's Museum. It was a great time!
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife We started back up. On track.

I've been job hunting recently, so most of my little free time is occupied with that. I plan to take a month between jobs, so I can have a mini mid-life crisis. :)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

As things stand, 01 June 2021!

Mortgage
Goal: £23,000
Currently: £25,167.83 - situation changed, looking to move - new house found, offer made, mortgage in progress.

Main Savings
Goal: increase to over £6,000
Stretch goal: £8,000
Surpassed my stretch goal, £8662.54, need to save even more for fees etc

Credit Card: £362.15
Goal: payoff in 7 months @ 53.00
Currently: Zilch! paid off but will need to hit it for moving costs

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books. + 0 this month
Goal: limited takeaway back on the menu boys! I need to save my pennies

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

May Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.7 months. Now that I'm out of windfall season it'll be steady contributions until hopefully more windfalls at the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,067/$6,000 Continuing to keep a good pace.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: April successful, but just barely. Came in 0% under budget, 4.1% under budget for the year so far. 4/10
6. Do my own taxes: Should hopefully be entirely finished when IRS auto-corrects my unemployment situation this month.

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone has all their shots, now just need to set a list of restaurants and schedule when.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made ratatouille and cassoulet, but I want to go for something more challenging next time
3. Cook more sous vide: Going to mark this as done, getting a lot of use out of it.
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped
5 Hike the Channel Islands Done

June Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.8 months. This number isn't likely to change much until July.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,527/$6,000 Pace of extra contributions slowed down in May, but still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: May successful, but still coming in just under the wire. Came in 0% under budget, 3.4% under budget for the year so far. 5/10
6. Do my own taxes: Still waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. I need to plan a chicken fricassee or something
3. Cook more sous vide: Done
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online
5. Hike the Channel Islands Done

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

Married. I am 36, wife is 35. Household income of about $134,000. We reside in Connecticut, so taxes are pretty high. We have two children ages 4 and 7. She is a school teacher and I am a project engineer.

May Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $52,289 (+ $13,296)

Total Investments = $94,461 (- $7,781)

Total Property = $496,268 (+ $197)

Total Retirement = $160,364 (+ $1,245)

Total Assets = $803,382 (+ $6,957)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $9,780 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $990 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $260,216

Total Liabilities = $270,126

Net Worth = $533,256

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT). Maxed out this month ($10,000/$10,000)
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Booked a week in Cape Cod, total price $2,700. Also booked 8 days in Mexico this June.
- Contribute at least $17,000 to retirement this year. Already maxed out both Roth IRA's this year ($12,000), the rest is on autopilot.

First, sounds like you guys are doing awesome! Is this gross income? If so I’m in a similar situation as you but would love to be able to contribute to a 529 or even have your cash position. Would you mind sharing your budget if you use one?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Loan Dusty Road posted:

First, sounds like you guys are doing awesome! Is this gross income? If so I’m in a similar situation as you but would love to be able to contribute to a 529 or even have your cash position. Would you mind sharing your budget if you use one?

Thanks! Yes, this is gross income. After taxes, health insurance, retirement contributions etc, our annual take home pay is just over $95,000. We do run a pretty strict monthly budget / spending plan. Although it differs from month to month, this is what an average month looks like.

- Mortgage = $1,940. This is offset by the rent ($500/mo) my MIL pays me each month, makes makes this $1,440. We added an inlaw apartment for her after her husband passed a few years ago. She only lives with us 8 or 9 months per year, but pays rent for the whole year.
- Cleaning lady = $120. An indulgence, but an absolute life saver.
- Various streaming services = $90
- Daycare for my 4 year old = $860. This is, thankfully, ending this month. My wife is a teacher so she will be home for the summer and will start the at the public daycare in town in the fall.
- Groceries = $520. Seems very tight for a family of 4, but we make it work. We really only shop at Aldi and grow a lot of our own vegetables.
- Gas = $300. Rarely spend this much nowadays since I am working from home, but I will be going to the office a little more this summer.
- Internet = $95
- Electric Bill = $200, much higher in the summer. Lower in the winter, this is about the average.
- Home heating oil = $75. I fill my tank 2.5 - 3 times per year at around $300 per fill.
- Amazon = $150. Somehow we seem to spend around this much on Amazon every month.
- Entertainment = $260. Takeout, video games, day trips, lunch with co workers etc.
- iPhone = $58, iPhone upgrade program
- Water = $40
- Phone service = $92
- Incidentals = $700 - 900 / month. Very rarely spend this much, but this is reserved for any unforeseen expenses or household repairs which I cannot do myself.

We own both our cars and student loans have been paid off for a few years now.
I budget somewhere between $8,000 - $10,000 per year for vacations. We are going to Mexico later this month and a week at Cape Cod in August. Still have $3,100 left in the budget for the year.

My current cash position breaks down as follows:

Checking Acct Joint $3,071
Savings accounts $23,512
Ultimate Rewards Points $738
Cash in brokerage acct $18,677
Escrow $6,523
Petty Cash $200
Dapper $1,090 (I got a bit lucky on NBA TopShot in February before the market crashed)

Total = $53,811

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 3, 2021

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cheese eats mouse posted:

My job IPO'd so I'm re-jiggering.

Pay estimated taxes for conversion AND gain proceeds
Pay off last of my debt consolidation loan - 2,433.73

Done
Discount on rent has been negotiated 8% off to $240! Partner wants to ask for more, 10%
Submitted accomplishments to make the case for my promotion. Will start hearing more in this quarter
Registered for the first two classes for UX management cert
Making great mental health strides :)

Goals for this month
Need to convert my Traditional to Roth to do a Backdoor Roth. I have been sleeping on this because it is hard to understand and laziness.
Get the 2021 contribution I made out of my Roth because I will be over the limit

Goals for the year
Divest shares at the end of the our lock up. I contacted a CPA and sent them my information because I am looking at a $250k+ ISO sale this year
Max ESPP and sell in December In progress
Max Backdoor Roth See above
Pay off student loans See above

Personally
Run 3x a week it is not broken. I have lost my motivation
Run another half marathon without getting injured. I am now not injured
Get back to rock climbing regularly. My fingers are hosed from dermatitis

I wish my health would go back to normal :/

On the upside my manager says my promotion is in and he's very excited for me to be moving up and I am excited as well! I have been operating at a higher level since I started.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

June Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. $237k! Completed June 2021! Guess I will need to add a stretch goal.

1a. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $250k. $237k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $14.5k. Falling behind here after a bunch of vet bills.

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $1760 contributed.

4. Pay off my car, which has $2.7k remaining. Completed May 2021!

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $992 to go.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.59 extra payments made.

spinst fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 30, 2021

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

June update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track*
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I didn't take a day this month*
  • Make a piece of software that is mine
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife On track

*This is my last week at my current employer. Then, I have 6 weeks until I start my next job (which will put me in an even better financial position than I am already fortunate to be in). I'll spend my little break doing a number of things: vegging out, personal projects, house projects, and family time. It'll be a nice little sabbatical before I get back to the grind.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, 01 July 2021!

Mortgage
Goal: £23,000
Currently: £25,095.67 - situation changed, looking to move - no news, everything is so slow, mortgage offer not agreed yet

Main Savings
Goal: increase to over £6,000
Stretch goal: £8,000
Surpassed my stretch goal, £9201.52, still saving as delays have impacted SDLT

Goal: payoff in 7 months @ 53.00
Currently: 86.74 - speeding fine stupidity, put on the credit card to free up savings

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books. + 0 this month, I am trying to break internet addiction right now... And failing
Goal: limited takeaway back on the menu boys! I need to save my pennies

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

June Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $52,318 (+ $29)

Total Investments = $100,298 (+ $5,837)

Total Property = $516,820 (+ $20,552)

Total Retirement = $163,893 (+ $3,529)

Total Assets = $833,329 (+ $29,947)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $5,687 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $992 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $259,757

Total Liabilities = $266,376

Net Worth = $566,953

Goals for this year:

- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Booked a week in Cape Cod, total price $2,700. Had an awesome 8 day trip to Mexico in June.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Good-Natured Filth posted:

*This is my last week at my current employer. Then, I have 6 weeks until I start my next job (which will put me in an even better financial position than I am already fortunate to be in). I'll spend my little break doing a number of things: vegging out, personal projects, house projects, and family time. It'll be a nice little sabbatical before I get back to the grind.

Congrats!!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

- 0% interest consumer debt only (need to paint my house with money)
- Grow pension pot from £87k to £100k
- Grow ISA from £8k to £12k
- Start short term saving £200/month for a newer car in 2022 (and more if current expenditure allows)
- Increase NW from £117k to £140,400 (+20%) - This should be a bit easier this year as I'm now paying down a mortgage on a (hopefully) appreciating asset instead of paying out rent every month

2021 Personal Goals

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Some of these are really hard to shop for when there's a pandemic on and you can't try sitting/lying on them :<
- poo poo or get off the pot wrt a pay rise - I have been 'promised' one better than a CoL adjustment since 2019 and love this job but if winning 'this organisation wouldn't function without you' of the year in December won't convert into a higher paycheck I need to seriously look elsewhere
- Once we're corona proof take another 2 week holiday somewhere nice before everywhere gets busy again
- Take a break from work at lunch each day instead of 'powering through' and ending up working 9am-6pm straight (At least I've completed my 2019 target of stop eating out at lunch :D)

Update for end of June and end of Q2

- No consumer debt, really happy with this one as I thought I'd need to take out a loan somewhere for the amount of stuff needed to furnish a house but have managed to pay out of savings
- Pension Pot at £94k, on target
- ISA at £10k, on target
- Short Term Savings at £1200, on target
- NW £127k, slightly below target but the biggest purchases are now all cleared (aside from a dining table + dining and office chairs)

If I zaurg'd my figures and included the alleged appreciation on the house I'd have cleared my NW target already. That's how messed up this housing market is currently and it makes me extremely nervous that we're heading for another crisis.

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Kitchen Knives | Outdoor Furniture - Great progress here, only the aforementioned seating and a dining table to go
- Work pay increase secured, can close this one off for the rest of the year
- Partner has had 2 Astrazenica + 3 weeks with no lasting issues, I've got my second Pfizer booked in for August though hopefully can bring that forward to mid July as 8 weeks between doses rather than 12
- We have a week booked at the end of August in the UK because lol @ getting on a plane in the next few months without the government changing the rules with no notice
- Ehh, kinda falling behind on this.. There was a bit of crunch at end of Q2 so need to reassert my lunch hour now that's been completed

All in all a decent 6 months, keep on chugging for Q3/4 :)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

June Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.8 months. This number isn't likely to change much until July.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,527/$6,000 Pace of extra contributions slowed down in May, but still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: May successful, but still coming in just under the wire. Came in 0% under budget, 3.4% under budget for the year so far. 5/10
6. Do my own taxes: Still waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. I need to plan a chicken fricassee or something
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online

July Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.9 months. I get an extra pay check this month, so this number should jump up a bit in August.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,972/$6,000 Still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: June was successful, but it's a lot harder to be under budget now that things are opening up and prices are jumping. Came in 0% under budget, 2.8% under budget for the year so far. 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: Eternally waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July, going to hit 6 places in 3 days, plus host a bbq. Definitely going to be a marathon.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. Extra demands from work a forcing me to do extreme meal prepping to get through the week. I want to make coq au vin this month.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

The theme for 2021 will be Simplicity and Focus

Financial Goals
1. No new debt. I turn in my lease in May and right now we are planning to be a one-car household. This could change if I have to go back to the office full-time.
2. Pay off my last student loan. Current balance: $4572. I want this gone quickly, and may just pay it all off at once.
3. Increase 401k contribution to 15%.
4. Put at least $150/month into my newly-opened taxable account.
5. Emergency fund from $20k to $25k.

Personal Goals
Read a book per month
Do 15 workouts per month (go for a run, a cycle class, or workout in the gym)
Update my resume and start putting feelers out

Financial Goals
1. No new debt. FAIL. We built a pool. Oops.
2. Pay off my last student loan. COMPLETE. Paid off the balance in June, so I am officially done with my student loans!
3. Increase 401k contribution to 15%. COMPLETE. This will max me out for the year.
4. Put at least $150/month into my newly-opened taxable account. On track. I've actually been doing $250/month into my taxable brokerage account.
5. Emergency fund from $20k to $25k. Off track. This will be a back half of the year goal.

Personal Goals
Read a book per month. On track. Six months done, six books finished.
Do 15 workouts per month (go for a run, a cycle class, or workout in the gym) Failing. I tend to end up with 10-12 workouts a month.
Update my resume and start putting feelers out. COMPLETE! Got an offer making 25% more and get to remain fully remote.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Omne posted:

Update my resume and start putting feelers out. COMPLETE! Got an offer making 25% more and get to remain fully remote.

As a fellow participant in the Great Resignation, congratulations on the new opportunity!

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

2021 Financial Goals:
  1. House Deposit to £12,000 (currently £5,958)
  2. Side-project income of £3,000 (gross)
  3. Register for and submit my FY20-21 tax Self Assessment by end of June.

Start of July:
  1. £12,000 / £12,000 - unexpected promotion + unexpected bonus + ??? (New stretch goal: £17,000).
  2. £142.06 / £1,750 YTD target - combo of struggling to get off my rear end on this one and a ~3 month lead time on getting paid means this is looking pretty unlikely.
  3. Didn't happen. See, this is why I should post updates each month; it would force me to remember these deadlines I set. Still have plenty of time but I'm aiming to register this weekend and at least get a draft form filled.

My day job, budgeting and long-term savings are on autopilot at this point which in theory gives me more focus for side projects but :effort:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
July 2021 Update:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until February.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3% Sold house

Financial Goals for 2021:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Buy a house?
- Increase net worth to the next 500k.
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July (this month), 11k/month in to a taxable account.
- Max out our 401ks/457s
- Max out our HSA Switched to a regular insurance plan at the new job due to some possible health expenses that may not be very well covered by a HSA.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in October.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
July Updates

Financial Goals for 2021
- Max out both Roth IRAs done
- Max out both 401ks/457bs (on autopilot)
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income $3k/mo with the loan payment hold
- PSLF recert in Oct, PSLF eligible 6/22 I'm sure the loans possibly being switched to a new servicer in Jan won't cause any issues here at all! :negative:
- $1k/month for 2 529s for the kids (on autopilot)
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference now 2.25% 15 yr, didn't cash out because I'm a weenie and hate debt

Personal Goals
- Help out more with kids at home, has been hard because of my schedule
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year still figuring out what to learn next
- Revisit professional goals holding pattern for now, keep hoping we'll hire a new chief soon but that keeps getting pushed back
- Looking into kitchen remodel, but contractors all busy and prices of materials fluctuating so holding off until things calm down a bit

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Some things that threw EVERYTHING off-kilter, including this extremely late post:

* You know how I was/am saving up for travel? Well, I traveled! I went to Iceland on June 11 and got back on June 20, and had a much-needed, decadent, wonderful, seafood- & beer-filled vacation. There is a dent in my travel fund as a result. That said, this is the first time I've traveled with any kind of actual budget, so coming home & basically reimbursing myself threw me off, to the point that I wasn't quite sure to do with the money, so I just kind of...didn't really plan anything out? It's probably a mess. I haven't contributed to anything because I'm not really sure where the money should go yet, so August is probably going to be a better month, as I spend July getting myself re-situated.

* My cat was severely constipated, resulting in a couple of hasty off-hours Uber trips to the emergency vet but thankfully no bills. I used emergency money for the trips though. She's all better now, pooping like the champ that she is.

* I work at an edtech company, and we are trying to do literally everything possible before back-to-school, or else this post would have been made much closer to the beginning of the month.

Now, without further ado...

YeahTubaMike posted:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.58 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,498.24 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.88 to go) :corsair:

Meager progress, but ONLY progress...again. I don't know whether to try saving more money and risk rushing too much, or keep going like this. The year isn't even close to over so not being completely done with all of this by like August is not something that I necessarily have to do, a fact I have to keep reminding myself.

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I mean, obviously it's still a goal, but I'm crossing it out because the habit is established and it's not going anywhere.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I still suck at this. Why must the office be practically on top of a Dunkin Donuts? :smithicide:
-get down to 200 pounds 28.8 lbs to go. :btroll:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.53 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($3,698.63 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.75 to go) :corsair:

So uh, yay for interest? In all seriousness, I need to learn how to follow a routine of contribution despite any and all disruptions, including but not limited to kick-rear end international vacations. Like I said, August will be bigger and better. It basically can't not be, unless I buy a car or something. I live in New York City, and I have epilepsy -- no cars for me. :v:

My personal goals:
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I decided that it might actually be a better idea to factor five modest fast-food breakfasts a week into my budget instead of trying to make waking up at 6am every weekday work. When I say modest, I mean cheap AND not huge. A wrap and coffee from DD on the way to work is enough to keep me alive.
-get down to 200 pounds 33.2 lbs to go. :btroll: Look, I got back from vacationing in a place where all my favorite food is popular less than a month ago, a setback was bound to occur.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Trucking along.
2021 Goals
- Read 50 books - On book 38 right now. Circe was a really fun beach read retelling of the Odyssey
- Teach my kid to read - She's teaching herself with Dogman. So many fart jokes.
- Polish and publish novel - Edits are DONE! Now to publish.
- Date night once a week, even if it's just popcorn and a movie/game at home Batting 50/50
- Weekly volunteering at the library park - Yep
- Install trellises for the blackberries - Once lumber prices go down, this is on the to do list.
- Stain deck -oops I forgot this one
- Clean and paint front patio I'm putting the husband in charge of this one.
- Paint house something bright and sassy I painted it purple! It's a lavendery sort of purple and I love it. Kind of like this:
- All wage income goes into the 401k and Trad IRA done
- All publishing income goes into solo 401k done
- In November/December, max out 0% cap gains bracket
- Switch healthcare providers in November/December

I also quit my job, so I might not have to do those last two depending on how things shake out with my income. Excited to be home more to get to some smaller projects. Just planted the last round of rattlesnake beans today in the garden.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
^^ cute house, love your tulips too!

My goals for 2021, in order from most to least plausible:
  • Break $5k on our house down payment fund
  • Resolve retirement vs. house allocation priorities with my wife; nervously conservative, I want to feel comfortably fat in retirement balance and not buy a house for 8+ years, while she wants to feel settled and secure and shoot for a 5-year purchase timeframe
  • Enter expenses into YNAB as they happen - use it as a budget, not an expense tracker
  • Break $50k personal net worth??????
And if anyone who has a book goal in this thread wants to keep track of their reading, may I plug The StoryGraph? It's similar to Goodreads, but is not owned by Amazon, has a much better UI, and the recommendation algorithm and user-generated graphs are far superior. Also, you can give half- and quarter-stars in ratings! Having a StoryGraph account has made me prioritize reading much more in my life, I'm already up to 62 books read this year :)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

July Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. Completed June 2021!

1a. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $250k. $240k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $14.8k. Still behind, but working on catching up.

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $2090 contributed.

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $767 to go.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.67 extra payments made.

Decided to re-finance my mortgage. It will lower my payments by 20% or so, with a break-even point of less than two years. Went for a smaller reduction in payment since I'm not sure how long I'm going to be in this house and I want be sure I come out ahead on the deal.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

July Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.9 months. I get an extra pay check this month, so this number should jump up a bit in August.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,972/$6,000 Still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: June was successful, but it's a lot harder to be under budget now that things are opening up and prices are jumping. Came in 0% under budget, 2.8% under budget for the year so far. 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: Eternally waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July, going to hit 6 places in 3 days, plus host a bbq. Definitely going to be a marathon.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. Extra demands from work a forcing me to do extreme meal prepping to get through the week. I want to make coq au vin this month.

August Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. If the stars align I might actually grow this to 6 months even with the big HSA contribution earlier this year. Fingers crossed!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $3,932/$6,000 Getting on a very nice pace, should exceed this goal and start chipping away at the extra goal before the end of the year.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for July, but a larger paycheck kind of balanced things out. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: The tax refund for my unemployment pay finally came through. Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Managed to get this in before the delta surge made LA too dicey. the heat was very nice! Done
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No coq a vin yet. I won't cross this off until I get that and boeuf bourguignon crossed off
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online. Almost went to an otb meetup, but then delta

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

July update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA Nothing to match right now*
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy I am having trouble helping my wife motivate herself into opening the store (she is very afraid of the judgement of strangers). I'm not sure this will happen this year.

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month Almost the entire month was a vacation*
  • Make a piece of software that is mine Slow progress*

* Currently in between jobs. I start the new one at the end of August. I've hit a bit of a speed bump in that someone was COVID positive at our children's daycare, so we decided to unenroll them entirely since they had to be quarantined and were almost done anyway for the start of school. Which means that my free time during this break is mostly gone now, so I am adjusting my expectations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

As things stand, Aug 2021!

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Now: £25,023

Main Savings: £3,940.50
Now £9,936.72

Now: 128.37

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books - + 2 this month

Goal: try 25 actual recipes - Nope

Goal: one holiday in the Uk- yes one cheapie caravan holiday done, one cottage holiday booked for Oct
Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week - Some wins some losses

Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad - no chance with the pandemic

Sloth Life fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 1, 2021

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

July Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $48,978 (- $3,340)

Total Investments = $104,113 (+ $3,815)

Total Property = $520,020 (+ $3,200)

Total Retirement = $166,028 (+2,165)

Total Assets = $839,139 (+ $5,810)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $9,814 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $874 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $259,297

Total Liabilities = $269,985

Net Worth = $569,154

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT). Maxed out this month ($10,700/$10,000). Threw in some extra cash on hand in July.
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Booked a week in Cape Cod, total price $2,700. Had an awesome 8 day trip to Mexico in June.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

2021 Financial Goals:
  1. House Deposit to £12,000 (currently £5,958)
  2. Side-project income of £3,000 (gross)
  3. Register for and submit my FY20-21 tax Self Assessment by end of June.

Start of August:
  1. £13,400 / £12,000 - still just plugging away at the stretch goal (Stretch goal: £17,000).
  2. £184.19 / £1,750 YTD target - (YTD target last month was wrong) still slowly plugging away at this - I think I need to set a new target, maybe based on projects completed rather than revenue.
  3. Tax return submitted! A couple of weeks later than intended but it all went smoothly, especially given it's the first one I've ever had to do. Once it's confirmed I'll just pay it off ASAP - it's only ~£150.

The day job is going smoothly, which I can't really complain about even if it is something I want to move away from eventually. I'm glad I've managed to avoid lifestyle creep so far after the promotion earlier in the year - right now, the difference in income is just going straight to the house deposit without thinking about it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

Update for end of June and end of Q2

- No consumer debt, really happy with this one as I thought I'd need to take out a loan somewhere for the amount of stuff needed to furnish a house but have managed to pay out of savings
- Pension Pot at £94k, on target
- ISA at £10k, on target
- Short Term Savings at £1200, on target
- NW £127k, slightly below target but the biggest purchases are now all cleared (aside from a dining table + dining and office chairs)

If I zaurg'd my figures and included the alleged appreciation on the house I'd have cleared my NW target already. That's how messed up this housing market is currently and it makes me extremely nervous that we're heading for another crisis.

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Kitchen Knives | Outdoor Furniture - Great progress here, only the aforementioned seating and a dining table to go
- Work pay increase secured, can close this one off for the rest of the year
- Partner has had 2 Astrazenica + 3 weeks with no lasting issues, I've got my second Pfizer booked in for August though hopefully can bring that forward to mid July as 8 weeks between doses rather than 12
- We have a week booked at the end of August in the UK because lol @ getting on a plane in the next few months without the government changing the rules with no notice
- Ehh, kinda falling behind on this.. There was a bit of crunch at end of Q2 so need to reassert my lunch hour now that's been completed

All in all a decent 6 months, keep on chugging for Q3/4 :)

End of July

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £95.6k
- ISA £11k
- Short Term Savings £1400
- NW £130k

- Bought a proper dining table, will make a new goal to have at least one meal a week at it like adults rather than eating TV dinners on our laps
- Got my second Pfizer last week, have a nice week in the country at the end of this month
- Started taking an hour screen break again now Q2 crunch is over, and have the week off at the end of the month to relax and recharge

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

August Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. Completed June 2021!

1a. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $250k. $240k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $15k. Getting close to being caught up!

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $2390 contributed.

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $567 to go.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.62

Refinancing process ends this week - technically no mortgage payments for Sept. or Oct., but will pay regardless. The appraisal came back 30k over my estimate. Insanity.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

cheese eats mouse posted:

Goals for this month
Need to convert my Traditional to Roth to do a Backdoor Roth. I have been sleeping on this because it is hard to understand and laziness.
Get the 2021 contribution I made out of my Roth because I will be over the limit

Goals for the year
Divest shares at the end of the our lock up. I contacted a CPA and sent them my information because I am looking at a $250k+ ISO sale this year
Max ESPP and sell in December In progress
Max Backdoor Roth See above
Pay off student loans See above

Personally
Run 3x a week it is not broken. I have lost my motivation
Run another half marathon without getting injured. I am now not injured
Get back to rock climbing regularly. My fingers are hosed from dermatitis

I wish my health would go back to normal :/

On the upside my manager says my promotion is in and he's very excited for me to be moving up and I am excited as well! I have been operating at a higher level since I started.

I got promoted!

For September
Traditional roll-over to my 401k - In progress. Waiting on Vanguard to call me back
Sell my vested shares - Soon!
Bug my CPA about quarterly taxes - This week
Pay off my student loans - This month
Fully fund my Emergency Fund outside of ESPP savings
Max my 401k for 2021 - Put in for this change to payroll today.
I am also doing well living off my savings for funding my ESPP

Be debt free at 33!

Personally
Running I am training for a 10 mile race at the end of September.
My fingers are still in rough shape from dermatitis. I hope the time away from the city and two weeks PTO will help with stress and healing.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 1, 2021

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

August update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy My wife won a design contest recently, and it's given her some confidence. Not sure if she'll open a store this year, but it's forward progress.

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month Almost the entire month was a vacation*
  • Make a piece of software that is mine Slow progress*

* I started my new job last week, so most of August was a vacation. This actually included 2 vacations (of sorts), which were hectic but fun. Planning for / taking those vacations, prepping the kids to start school, and getting myself ready for my new job ate away a lot of my free time that I could have otherwise used on personal endeavors. But that's okay!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
August was a very expensive month! I needed to have my central A/C replaced and bought a new car (my 2011 Mercedes needed about $3k worth of work to pass emissions). Bought a CPO 2021 Jetta (2,400 miles) in cash (sold some stock and took a little out of savings to pay for it)

August Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $43,373 (- $5,605)

Total Investments = $100,731 (- $3,382)

Total Property = $537,000 (+ $16,980)

Total Retirement = $170,475 (+ $4,447)

Total Assets = $853,579 (+ $14,440)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $15,887 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $816 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $258,835

Total Liabilities = $275,538

Net Worth = $578,041 (+ $8,887)

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT contributed $11,200/$10,000 thus far)
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Had an awesome 8 day trip to Mexico in June and an unexpectedly great time at Cape Cod. No other travel planned for this year.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, Sept 2021!

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Now: £24,951

Main Savings: £3,940.50
Now £11,145.72

Now: 73.87

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books - + 1 this month

Goal: try 25 actual recipes - Nope

Goal: one holiday in the Uk- yes one cheapie caravan holiday done, one cottage holiday booked for Oct

Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week - Some wins some losses

Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad - no chance with the pandemic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Financial
1. Fully fund Roth IRA
2. Either fully fund wife IRA
3a. Max 401(k) on pace
3b. Max wife 401(k) if she gets job. wife working on job
4. Exceed 60% savings rate on pace by a nose, 60.4% thus far but hopefully will be trending upward now that our move is complete

Nonfinancial
1. Exercise 4x week was doing good until injury, trying to at least do some substantial walking and that's OK at best
2. Read 25 books not related to work stuff Eight :(
3. Move to new apartment and new city Success, :wrongcity:, and we kept the savings rate roughly intact

additions
get a god drat lawyer / tax guy / some poo poo to look over some Important Paperwork this needs to happen in Q4 now

Getting just resoundingly smoked on book and exercise goals, kind of depressing.

edit: cleaned up formatting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Some things that threw EVERYTHING off-kilter, including this extremely late post:

* You know how I was/am saving up for travel? Well, I'm traveling again. It's probably not the most budgetarily responsible thing, but to be honest, 1) it feels like I'm making up for lost time, and 2) as long as I'm not dipping into the emergency fund or starving myself I don't have too much of a problem with it.

* I forgot to cancel my subscription to The Athletic, so there was an unexpected $71.99 credit card charge yesterday. This is my only CC debt; I do not use my credit card unless I can immediately pay off the debt.

* I deliberately waited a month to post because

quote:

I haven't contributed to anything because I'm not really sure where the money should go yet, so August is probably going to be a better month, as I spend July getting myself re-situated.

The thing about that was I wasn't able to get re-situated until MID-August, when I got my non-rent paycheck, so an overview at the beginning of August would have made things look even more anomalous. Aaaaaanyway...

quote:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.53 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($3,698.63 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.75 to go) :corsair:

[...]

My personal goals:
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I decided that it might actually be a better idea to factor five modest fast-food breakfasts a week into my budget instead of trying to make waking up at 6am every weekday work. When I say modest, I mean cheap AND not huge. A wrap and coffee from DD on the way to work is enough to keep me alive.
-get down to 200 pounds 33.2 lbs to go. :btroll: Look, I got back from vacationing in a place where all my favorite food is popular less than a month ago, a setback was bound to occur.

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($2,498.25 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($5,998.75 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,399.84 to go) - I'm beginning to think trying to save for bills was a stupid, Sisyphean thing to do :sigh:

My personal goals:
-eat breakfast at home four times a week Nixing the breakfast goal because budgeting for breakfast instead of eating it at home is working well.
-get down to 200 pounds 27.6 lbs to go. It would be super cool for my weight to stop hovering around 230, but I definitely have to work harder.

I feel obligated to think of more goals, especially now that the breakfast one is pretty much taken care of. Maybe prettying up my wardrobe? :confused: