Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of July

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £95.6k
- ISA £11k
- Short Term Savings £1400
- NW £130k

- Bought a proper dining table, will make a new goal to have at least one meal a week at it like adults rather than eating TV dinners on our laps
- Got my second Pfizer last week, have a nice week in the country at the end of this month
- Started taking an hour screen break again now Q2 crunch is over, and have the week off at the end of the month to relax and recharge

End of August

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k :eyepop:
- ISA £12k :toot:
- Short Term Savings £1600
- NW £135k

- Went on holiday last week in the south west (along with EVERYONE ELSE :derp: ) but it was lovely weather and we even got to go on a beach in England
- All jabbed up and ready to rock, we might scoot off on a last minute holiday to somewhere in Europe if the rules stop changing
- I went back to the office today for the first time in for ever to sort some poo poo out, took a full hour lunch break. This is SO MUCH EASIER to do in the office when you get up and leave for a full hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

August Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. If the stars align I might actually grow this to 6 months even with the big HSA contribution earlier this year. Fingers crossed!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $3,932/$6,000 Getting on a very nice pace, should exceed this goal and start chipping away at the extra goal before the end of the year.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: No progress yet.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for July, but a larger paycheck kind of balanced things out. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: The tax refund for my unemployment pay finally came through. Done
7. Complete a 5, 10, and 20 year financial road map. Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Managed to get this in before the delta surge made LA too dicey. the heat was very nice! Done
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No coq a vin yet. I won't cross this off until I get that and boeuf bourguignon crossed off
3. Cook more sous vide: Done
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online. Almost went to an otb meetup, but then delta
5. Hike the Channel Islands Done

September Update

Big life change, in September I start a new job that doubles my salary. Some of my stretch goals suddenly got a lot easier to meet.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. Not much movement this much, but I'm expecting some one off windfalls next month which will move this needle.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,410/$6,000 Seems like I would have met this even without the new job.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for August by about $30, but suddenly that seems like much less of a problem. If I can get through my last constrained budget this month, things should get a lot easier. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Done
2. Cook more French Cuisine: I really need to remember this one, I keep going Japanese instead. I was talking about making a pot roast this weekend, might as well make it beef bourguignon
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but a partial success at least

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

September Update!

1. Raise net worth from $202k to $237k. Completed June 2021!

1a. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $250k. $248k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $15.3k.

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $2690 contributed.

4. Pay off my car, which has $2.7k remaining. Completed May 2021!

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. $327 to go.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.83

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

September update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA On Track
  • 50/month into kids' 529s On Track
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Tracking towards not happening.

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month With the new job, I have pro-rated vacation that I'm saving for next month + US holiday season, so no time off this month.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine As the year has progressed, I've become less interested in moving forward with this goal. It just isn't exciting to me anymore.
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife With the new job, our schedule doesn't allow for this as easily, so did not achieve it this month.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
September Update
Sell my vested shares - Done
Pay off my student loans - Done
Be debt free at 33! - $850 on credit cards. I have way more than enough cash on hand to cover it so I would call myself debt free. :)

Personally
Running I am training for a 10 mile race at the end of September. - I did it!
My fingers are still in rough shape from dermatitis. I hope the time away from the city and two weeks PTO will help with stress and healing. - Vacation was great and my fingers are looking amazing and very close to healed.

For October
Traditional roll-over to my 401k - In progress. There is 15k somewhere? I'm going to call Lincoln next week if it doesn't show in my account.
Bug my CPA about quarterly taxes - Done then never called me back. I contacted another CPA and now waiting for their call....Why is it so hard to get a CPA in NYC???
Fully fund my Emergency Fund outside of ESPP savings - Will do this once I pay my taxes
Max my 401k for 2021 - In progress
Still doing well living off my savings for funding my ESPP
Recharacterize my 2021 Roth contribution and earnings to Traditional
Backdoor my maxed Traditional IRA.
Payoff rest of CC debt.

Personally
Get to half marathon training
Possibly get back to rock climbing

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
August Update:

Assets

Total Cash = $42,873 (- $4,500)

Total Investments = $98,567 (- $2,164)

Total Property = $535,000 (- $2,000)

Total Retirement = $165,149 $170,475 (- $5,326)

Total Assets = $841,889 (- $11,690)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $7,619 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $758 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $258,372

Total Liabilities = $266,749

Net Worth = $575,749 $578,041 (- $2,335)

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT contributed $11,680/$10,000 thus far)
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Had an awesome 8 day trip to Mexico in June and an unexpectedly great time at Cape Cod. No other travel planned for this year. Still have about $2,800 left in my travel budget for the year.
- Contribute at least $17,000 to retirement this year. Already maxed out both Roth IRA's this year ($12,000), the rest is on autopilot. UPDATE: I increased my 401k contribution from 6% to 9%

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of August

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k :eyepop:
- ISA £12k :toot:
- Short Term Savings £1600
- NW £135k

- Went on holiday last week in the south west (along with EVERYONE ELSE :derp: ) but it was lovely weather and we even got to go on a beach in England
- All jabbed up and ready to rock, we might scoot off on a last minute holiday to somewhere in Europe if the rules stop changing
- I went back to the office today for the first time in for ever to sort some poo poo out, took a full hour lunch break. This is SO MUCH EASIER to do in the office when you get up and leave for a full hour

Number go down

End of September

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £98k
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £1800
- NW £134k

- Holidays done, short break / long weekend this month for a wedding
- Watching the corona levels before booking anything here
- Still easier to take a break in the office rather than when WFH but I've been forcing myself to move out of the room with my laptop in for an hour a day

House is still climbing in alleged value though! :grovertoot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
October 2021 Update:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until February.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3% Sold house

Financial Goals for 2021:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Buy a house? Maybe by the end of the year?
- Increase net worth to the next 500k. Done!
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July, 11k/month in to a taxable account. Technically done, saved additional bonus money as well.
- Max out our 401ks/457s Done for the year
- Max out our HSA Switched to a regular insurance plan at the new job due to my wife expecting next year.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Done, but not longer work at a 501c3 :sigh:
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in February.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
October 2021 update!

snailshell posted:

My goals for 2021, in order from most to least plausible:
  • Break $5k on our house down payment fund Done!!!! And, market pending, projected to break $7k by the end of the year!
  • Resolve retirement vs. house allocation priorities with my wife; nervously conservative, I want to feel comfortably fat in retirement balance and not buy a house for 8+ years, while she wants to feel settled and secure and shoot for a 5-year purchase timeframe Resolved, partially due to the hosed-up real estate market lol
  • Enter expenses into YNAB as they happen - use it as a budget, not an expense tracker Doing much better at this! All impulse purchase decisions are pre-funded and immediately entered rather than post-hoc funded
  • Break $50k personal net worth?????? Not there yet, but $4k closer than July and $4k to go :)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

September Update

Big life change, in September I start a new job that doubles my salary. Some of my stretch goals suddenly got a lot easier to meet.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. Not much movement this much, but I'm expecting some one off windfalls next month which will move this needle.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,410/$6,000 Seems like I would have met this even without the new job.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for August by about $30, but suddenly that seems like much less of a problem. If I can get through my last constrained budget this month, things should get a lot easier. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: I really need to remember this one, I keep going Japanese instead. I was talking about making a pot roast this weekend, might as well make it beef bourguignon
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but a partial success at least

October Update

Started new job, waiting for the new income to come streaming in.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.8 months. I have hope I'll hit my goal on the first day of the new year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,744/$6,000 Kind of irrelevant because I now have access to free health insurance which doesn't qualify for an HSA, and most of my contributions will be going to a 401k. I'll blow this number out of the water with my first paycheck though.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: See above.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Managed to keep my spending in check this month. Now 7/10. Might actually hit this goal as I'll have a lot more budgeted discretional income in Q4.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made a bunch of French dishes last month, happy to call this one done.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, Oct 2021!

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Now: £24,728.25

Main Savings: £3,940.50
Now £11,633.75

Credit Card: £362.15
Now: 21.82

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books - + 1
this month

Goal: try 25 actual recipes - Nope

Goal: one holiday in the Uk- yes one cheapie caravan holiday done, currently on the cottage holiday right now!

Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week - much less wins and much more losses

Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad - no chance with the pandemic

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

2021 Financial Goals:
  1. House Deposit to £12,000 (currently £5,958)
  2. Side-project income of £3,000 (gross)
  3. Register for and submit my FY20-21 tax Self Assessment by end of June.
Start-ish of October:
  1. £15,800 / £17,000 - if this carries on, I'll hit my stretch goal at the start of next month. December is just the cherry on top.
  2. £239.46 / £2,250 YTD target - oof. This one is dead in the water. If I hit £300 for the year, I guess I can't complain.
  3. Did happen, about a week after my last post. It wasn't too tricky, either.
I've been back in the office basically every work day for the past month - we're technically only required to be in 50% over two weeks but the amount of work has exploded and I just can't focus well enough to keep up at home. Pulling 50 hour weeks again has not been fun and has derailed a lot of things, not least my side-project. Hoping things are starting to mellow out and I can at least get a head start on next year.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

October Update!

1a. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $250k. $251k. Completed October 2021!

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $15.6k.

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $3020 contributed.

5. Pay off Peloton, $2.1k at 0% interest. Completed October 2021!

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. 0.91 payments made.

Knocked off goals 1a and 5 this month! :toot: .25 mil net worth! :toot: :toot:

Should be able to knock off goals 3 and 6 next month.

spinst fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 28, 2021

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
October Update

Assets

Total Cash = $44,206 (+ 1,333)

Total Investments = $106,713 (+ $8,146)

Total Property = $531,900 (- $3,100)

Total Retirement = $173,974 (+ $8,825)

Total Assets = $856,793 (+ $14,904)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $4,940 (PIF every month)

Total Other = $700 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $257,902

Total Liabilities = $264,563

Net Worth = $592,230 (+ $16,481)

Goals for this year:

- Max out the tax advantaged space in 529 accounts ($10,000 tax deductible in CT contributed $11,680/$10,000 thus far)
- Take at least 2 week long vacations this year and spend less than $8,000 (once it's safe to do so). Had an awesome 8 day trip to Mexico in June and an unexpectedly great time at Cape Cod. No other travel planned for this year. Still have about $2,800 left in my travel budget for the year.
- Contribute at least $17,000 to retirement this year. Already maxed out both Roth IRA's this year ($12,000), the rest is on autopilot. UPDATE: I increased my 401k contribution from 6% to 9%

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

October update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Cancelled

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month We took the kids to Disney World for a week. It was a blast!
  • Make a piece of software that is mine Cancelled
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife Fell off this wagon and need to get back on.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

Number go down

End of September

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £98k
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £1800
- NW £134k

- Holidays done, short break / long weekend this month for a wedding
- Watching the corona levels before booking anything here
- Still easier to take a break in the office rather than when WFH but I've been forcing myself to move out of the room with my laptop in for an hour a day

House is still climbing in alleged value though! :grovertoot:

End of October

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k and a bit :popeye:
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2000
- NW £137k

- Back to the South West this month for my dad's birthday
- Going to assume no winter sun for now, everyone assumes corona is over
- Getting bad at this one again, had to crunch a new environment in record time last week so going to push back this month and enforce lunch again
- Bought outdoor furniture in the spring, so obviously had to pay out for the covers for the winter. Just proper dining chairs to go on the house stuff front though

Everything looks to be at or just beating annual targets, hopefully with a nice month's cushion

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, Nov 2021!

Mortgage: £25,981.13
Currently: 24,728.75

Main Savings: £3,940.55
Currently: 12,324.75

Currently: 141.07 - car trouble meant I had to use it.

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books - plus 1

Goal: one holiday : MET THIS

Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week. trying and failing

Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad- not gonna happen

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

October Update

Started new job, waiting for the new income to come streaming in.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.8 months. I have hope I'll hit my goal on the first day of the new year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,744/$6,000 Kind of irrelevant because I now have access to free health insurance which doesn't qualify for an HSA, and most of my contributions will be going to a 401k. I'll blow this number out of the water with my first paycheck though.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: See above.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Managed to keep my spending in check this month. Now 7/10. Might actually hit this goal as I'll have a lot more budgeted discretional income in Q4.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made a bunch of French dishes last month, happy to call this one done.

November Update

Got my first full paycheck from the new job. Feels amazing

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 5.5 months. This should definitely be completed by end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $5,75/$6,000 I'll meet this goal next month.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: Kind of irrelevant, I'm putting almost everything into my newly available 401k .
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 8/10.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Done

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

2021 Goals, some financial, some professional, some personal. Building good habits is the main goal for me here since that is part of where I have fallen down the most.

1. Finish professional development thing that I’ve been meaning to do, should be done by June.
2. Convert old IRA to Roth, this will be a good January project
3. Continue retirement contributions in line with prior years, Roth IRA done, 401k on track
4. Read 26 books this year
5. Study for GMAT and decide one way or the other on business school applications by the fall
6. Make time to take a full week of vacation that I don’t need to open my laptop during
7. Finish QDMA Deer Steward I and make a plan for the family land to improve whitetail habitat
8. Keep off the weight I lost in 2020

So this year has been mixed.

1. Hopefully next spring
2. Done, good timing too for reasons which will be apparent later
3. 401k is going to end up behind, but the IRA was taken care of
4. I think I've read 3-4?
5. 730 GMAT, and applying 2nd round to my schools
6. Started a gap year last week, was just burned out at my job and needed to do something else
7. I didn't finish this on time, so I want to start it again.
8. This one did not work out, it will be a key element of my 2022 plan

Excited to start my gap year, deer opener was last weekend and I have a few more days of gun season to see if I can't fill the freezer that way, otherwise bow season goes until the end of the year.

I have a pheasant hunting expedition planned in December and will be doing at least one trip to visit the business schools that I am applying to.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
This year has been pretty good for me

1. Refinance to a 30 year fixed mortgage at 2.5% interest rate with all costs paid - check
2. Ensure 1 year emergency fund is available - check
3. 401k Maxed out for this year - check
4. HSA Maxed out for this year - check
4. Reinvest 150k into VTSAX - check
5. Property Taxes paid - check
6. EOY adjustment for tax liabilities for next year - check

Assets: 4.06m
Liabilities: 1.26m
NW: 2.8m

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

November Update!

1a. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $250k. Completed October 2021!

1b. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $265k. $259k.

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. $16k. Completed November 2021!

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. $3350 contributed. Completed November 2021!

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. Completed November 2021!

Everything is done with a month to spare. Feels good, man.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, 1 Dec 2021!

Mortgage: was £25,981.13
now 24,653.85

Main Savings: £3,940.55
now 13,222.75

now: 68.00

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books. +1
Goal: one holiday in the Uk - done!
Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad - not as per current situation.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

November update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Cancelled

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month I took an extra day for Thanksgiving - spent it cleaning the kitchen / prepping for hosting dinner.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine Cancelled
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife Cancelled. I'm hoping we'll be more serious next year.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

2021 Financial Goals:

End of November/Start of December:
  1. £18,000 / £17,000 - just short of my stretch goal last month, sailed past it this month. Couldn't be happier with this. I'll stash some more away over the rest of the month and probably start 2022 at around £19k.
  2. £256.88 / £2,750 YTD target - starting to pick up steam now but that won't show for months. I'll keep the same target next year, I think.
  3. All finalised and paid.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of October

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k and a bit :popeye:
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2000
- NW £137k

- Back to the South West this month for my dad's birthday
- Going to assume no winter sun for now, everyone assumes corona is over
- Getting bad at this one again, had to crunch a new environment in record time last week so going to push back this month and enforce lunch again
- Bought outdoor furniture in the spring, so obviously had to pay out for the covers for the winter. Just proper dining chairs to go on the house stuff front though

Everything looks to be at or just beating annual targets, hopefully with a nice month's cushion

End of November

- No consumer debt :toot:
- Pension pot £102k :toot:
- ISA £12.5k :toot:
- Short Term Savings £2200 :eyepop:
- NW £139.5k :eyepop:

- Taking a week off this week coming, and done with work at the end of next week for the year to burn off my accrued leave
- Hunkering down for Omicron
- I have 5 working days left for 2021 and am going to use December to chill
- Bought dining chairs! They are far too expensive and wont arrive until some time next year but I'm going to hit all my finance goals by next month so deserve to splash a little :toot:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

November Update

Got my first full paycheck from the new job. Feels amazing

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 5.5 months. This should definitely be completed by end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $5,75/$6,000 I'll meet this goal next month.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: Kind of irrelevant, I'm putting almost everything into my newly available 401k .
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 8/10.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

December Update

Fingers crossed, but I look to be cruising to success on most of my goals for the year

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Done, I went from no emergency savings to 6 months worth of savings (probably closer to 8 or 9 months if I cut expenses in an emergency) in a year and a half. Feels very nice.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $6,100/$6,000 Done
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 9/10. Being able to increase my discretionary budget by a few hundred dollars a month really helped with this
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of Year Results!

1a. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $250k. Completed October 2021!

1b. Stretch Goal: Raise net worth from $202k to $265k. Completed December 2021! $267k. Insane.

2. Increase emergency fund from $14k to $16k. Completed November 2021! $16.2k

3. Contribute $3.3k to Roth IRA. Completed November 2021! $3680 contributed.

6. Make 1 extra mortgage payment. Completed November 2021!

A good year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
EOY/December 2021 Update:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until May.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3% Sold house
- Bought a house, new mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875% :toot:

Financial Goals for 2021:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Buy a house? Maybe by the end of the year? Just bought a house at the end of the year!
- Increase net worth to the next 500k. Done, and made surprising progress to the next goal.
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July, 11k/month in to a taxable account. Done, well above this goal!
- Max out our 401ks/457s Done
- Max out our HSA Switched to a regular insurance plan at the new job due to my wife expecting next year. Done
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Done, but no longer work at a 501c3 :sigh:
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in May. Pushing this to a 2022 goal

Pretty happy with how this year turned out in some ways. Financially, we made a move that worked our fairly positively for my wife, laterally for me, but has the potential to be very positive for me in 2022/2023. Professionally it's still TBD, but my wife is super happy now (versus having a miserable commute previously), so there's that, which should be pretty good since we have our first baby due in March. :toot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 28, 2021

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

- 0% interest consumer debt only (need to paint my house with money)
- Grow pension pot from £87k to £100k
- Grow ISA from £8k to £12k
- Start short term saving £200/month for a newer car in 2022 (and more if current expenditure allows)
- Increase NW from £117k to £140,400 (+20%) - This should be a bit easier this year as I'm now paying down a mortgage on a (hopefully) appreciating asset instead of paying out rent every month

2021 Personal Goals

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Some of these are really hard to shop for when there's a pandemic on and you can't try sitting/lying on them :<
- poo poo or get off the pot wrt a pay rise - I have been 'promised' one better than a CoL adjustment since 2019 and love this job but if winning 'this organisation wouldn't function without you' of the year in December won't convert into a higher paycheck I need to seriously look elsewhere
- Once we're corona proof take another 2 week holiday somewhere nice before everywhere gets busy again
- Take a break from work at lunch each day instead of 'powering through' and ending up working 9am-6pm straight (At least I've completed my 2019 target of stop eating out at lunch :D)

End of Year 2021

- Zero consumer debt :toot:
- Pension Pot increased from £87k to £105k :toot:
- ISA increased from £8k to £13k :toot:
- Short Term Savings increased from £0 to £2400 :toot:
- NW increased from £117k to £141k :toot:

- Bought all new furnishings except for Office Chair (because I can't find one that's better than my current falling apart one)
- Pay rise of 10% in March :toot:
- Took one week in the UK in August for partner's birthday, both fully vaccinated and boosted so just going to wait out omicron
- Kinda did this, fell back at some point but good to repeat for 2022

Zoopla puts the house at having increased in value by 11% in a year (only our purchase price minus outstanding mortgage was taken into account for NW figures.) I am astounded. :rip: anyone not already on the housing ladder in the UK.

But a good year! Bring on 2022!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Sloth Life posted:

As things stand, NYE 2021!

Mortgage was: £25,981.13
Mortgage now 24,578.51
Goal: reduce to under £23,000
GOAL NOT MET

Main Savings was: £3,940.55
Main Savings now: 14,007.32
Goal: £6,000/ Stretch goal: £8,000
GOAL EXCEEDED

Goal: payoff in 7 months @ 53.00
GOAL MET, EVENTUALLY

Personal goals
Goal: read 25 books. NOT MET
Goal: try 25 actual recipes.NOT MET
Goal: one holiday in the UkGOAL MET
Goal: limit takeout to 1 a week.NOT MET
Stretch goal: plus 1 holiday abroad
NOT MET

So I definitely bit off more than I could chew but even though my goals weren't met, I did more than I think I would have without the goals in place. Progress? Progress.

Still doing the moving house thing despite so many setbacks so I'm in limbo really until that particular domino falls.

Once it does and I'm settled, I'll pick up again.

Happy New Year to you all 🎇🎇

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Financial
1. Fully fund Roth IRA
2. Either fully fund wife IRA
3a. Max 401(k)
3b. Max wife 401(k) if she gets job. wife working on job
4. Exceed 60% savings rate 64.8%

Nonfinancial
1. Exercise 4x week was doing good until injury, trying to at least do some substantial walking and that's OK at best
2. Read 25 books not related to work stuff twelve :(
3. Move to new apartment and new city Success, :wrongcity:, and we kept the savings rate roughly intact

additions
get a god drat lawyer / tax guy / some poo poo to look over some Important Paperwork

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

The theme for 2021 will be Simplicity and Focus

Financial Goals
1. No new debt.
2. Pay off my last student loan.
3. Increase 401k contribution to 15%.
4. Put at least $150/month into my newly-opened taxable account.
5. Emergency fund from $20k to $25k.

Personal Goals
Read a book per month.
Do 15 workouts per month (go for a run, a cycle class, or workout in the gym).
Update my resume and start putting feelers out.

Financial Goals
1. Failed. Ended up getting a new car, with an interest rate of 2.54%.
2. Succeeded. Paid it off earlier in the year. Student loan free!
3. Succeeded. I had upped it to 15% in March, then with my new job I was able to max it with a lower %.
4. Succeeded. Upped it to $400/month in November.
5. Failed. Didn't add anything.

Personal Goals
1. Succeeded. 12 exactly.
2. Failed. Always did 10+ each month, but never hit 15.
3. Succeeded. Got a new job in July with a 30% increase in salary and much better equity.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

December update

2021 Financial Goals:
  • Max our Roth IRAs Completed
  • Meet company match on 401k and HSA Completed
  • 50/month into kids' 529s Completed
  • Consolidate my various HSA funds from previous employers into a single place that doesn't suck Completed
  • Transfer my final prior employer 401k into Vanguard Completed
  • Help my wife make money on Etsy Not completed

2021 Personal Goals:
  • Take at least 1 vacation day per month Partial completion. There were 2 months where I didn't take time off, but had some long stretches in other months.
  • Make a piece of software that is mine Not completed
  • Exercise at least twice a week with my wife Partial completion. We started out well, but fell off towards the end of the year.

A good year for Financial Goals. Not so much for Personal Goals.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

2021 Financial Goals:

End of 2021
  1. £18,000 (+£12,042) - happy that I managed to funnel a mid-year raise into this, rather than lifestyle creep. Still no closer to actually buying but I should be in a good position to do so if I can keep this up.
  2. £273.04 / £3,000 (9.1%) - life and ennui got in the way. I'll try again in 2022.
  3. All finalised and paid - should be even easier/quicker in 2022.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

drainpipe posted:

Our financial goals for this year are mostly boring:

1. Max out our Roth IRAs (transactions are already processing)
2. Max out my 403b
3. Max out my 457
4. Transition my wife from a temp at her current job to a full-time hire

Some personal goals:

1. Have our first baby
2. Do a planche
3. Do some substantial programming or ML side project (can't think of anything decent)
4. Take a vacation if Covid looks contained by summer

Not sure how personal goal 1 will interact with financial goal 4.

I'm also 62% to my FI number and my overall accumulation goal is to get to 75-80% and then recalibrate (I have no desire to retire early). It's possible to achieve that this year if the markets gain >10% (which seems in the realm of possibility if the reopening of the economy starts picking up steam). That's clearly not in my control and so is not a goal, but it'll be something I'm going to be conscious of.

All financial goals are completed as well as the personal goals minus personal goal #2 so it was a good year! My wife went from temp to full time to now per diem because of the baby, which is pretty ideal.

Due to the performance of the market, I've also hit my overall accumulation goal of getting to 75%-80% FI. I am now at 20x my annual spend or 25x my core spend (rent + utilities + groceries + auto expenses), which is a good position to be. We'll see how the baby affects the annual spends going forward.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Thread for 2022 is here if you're a bookmarker rather than forum reader!

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Oh hey should probably update this for end of year:

Financial Goals for 2021
- Max out both Roth IRAs done
- Max out both 401ks/457bs done
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income $3k/mo all year, + a hefty lump sum from an unexpected bonus
- PSLF recert in Oct, PSLF eligible 5/22 Done, with the pause until May should only have to make one payment after the pause ends and then submit
- $1k/month for 2 529s for the kids (on autopilot)
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference now 2.25% 15 yr

Personal Goals
- Help out more with kids at home, has been hard because of my schedule
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year failure, time has been short, thanks COVID
- Revisit professional goals things are bad and getting worse this winter, looking a bit more seriously at moving but it's terrible everywhere
- Looking into kitchen remodel, but contractors all busy and prices of materials fluctuating so holding off, got a new sectional and redid some floors instead
[/quote]

Got a bonus I wasn't expecting, way upped savings for the year, just crossed the 7 figure mark for retirement savings earlier than expected. If it happens again next year maybe we'll move up FI by a year or two.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

December Update

Fingers crossed, but I look to be cruising to success on most of my goals for the year

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Done, I went from no emergency savings to 6 months worth of savings (probably closer to 8 or 9 months if I cut expenses in an emergency) in a year and a half. Feels very nice.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $6,100/$6,000 Done
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 9/10. Being able to increase my discretionary budget by a few hundred dollars a month really helped with this
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

End of Year Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Done
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: Done
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: As of now at $7,100. I'll try to cap out my Roth 2021 Roth using whatever I have left over each month+ my tax refund.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: 10/10. Done
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

2020 and 2021 are in a weird place for me because they both objectively sucked poo poo, but the crisis of 2020 woke me up to the fact that I needed a real budget and systemic financial planning, and in 2021 I feel like I really successfully implemented that budget and plan. 2021 also saw a completely unexpected career move that seems like it's going to be life changing. With any luck 2022 is going to be a banner year for my finances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
End of year update after forgetting about this in November. All +/-'s are for all of 2021.

Assets

Total Cash = $57,448 (+$19,304)

Total Investments = $105,191 (+$25,788)

Total Property = $535,200 (+$82.714)

Total Retirement = $178,424 (+$49,403)

Total Assets = $876,263 (+$177,209)

Liabilities

Total Credit Card = $5,267

Total Other = $584 (iPhone upgrade program)

Total Mortgage = $256,976

Total Liabilities = $262,827

Net Worth = $613,636 (+$181,705)