Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
New year, new thread. Share your goals! Double your net worth? Get a new mattress? Pay off that mobster? Doesn't matter how big or small, don't feel like yours are too petty - :justpost: The more the merrier after all. Non-financial goals are also welcome, healthy minds and bodies are important too!

Sharing updates and celebrating progress towards your goals is highly encouraged.

Last year was...interesting... and a lot of goals got dropped by the wayside. Better luck to everyone this time around!

Don't have any goals? Of course you do, you must have some idea of how you want things to be a year from now. But if you need inspiration, there's plenty in previous threads like 2020 & 2019 (has links to more)

I'll make a post for myself later, but it's going to be 90% "get house".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I'm not gonna make any pronunciations as thread starter, this thing is on its own now (though I can put stuff into the opening post if anyone has suggestions)

I need to make mine more specific eventually but this is what I have so far

Buy a house (or have one built). My rental lease ends in August, which gives a timeline, though I'd almost certainly be able to sign a 6-month extension if it's not sorted or I can't find anywhere. I would rather buy a pre-existing property but there are government grants for building a new one. I also don't know much about mortgages or the buying process yet. So right away is "learn about buying property", "figure out what I want", "figure out what I can afford".
Keep saving $1200+ a month from wages (for now) - should be easily achievable. Alternatively, "spend less than half my income (excluding rent)" which is tougher (~$1400? need to do math)
Pay more attention to my budget instead of just comparing how I budgeted to how I spent at the end of each month.
No net worth goal this year, I hit a nice milestone in December 2020 and my accounts are either out of my control or likely to dip thanks to fees, furniture, appliances, ... so no point trying to aim for a big number.

Eat healthier/lose weight
Run the local 10K in under an hour (in October)
Go camping (or a two-day hike) (except I have no camping experience or equipment and none of my friend circle is into it)

I think that'll do for a first draft.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

I never did go back and do a second draft of my goals so they're all still fairly vague.

Buy a house (or have one built): I made like an hour of progress? And a bunch of note taking that wasn't really worthwhile. No useful progress like talking to a mortgage broker to double-check my maths or getting approval or anything. Pretty sure I'll just buy one because it's so much less hassle and all the available empty land is in miserable locations.
Keep saving $1200+ a month from wages (for now): I was on track to save $1300, then smashed my phone while hiking, and the replacement was cheap but technically dropped me below.
Pay more attention to my budget instead of just comparing how I budgeted to how I spent at the end of each month: I didn't do this

Eat healthier/lose weight: no weight loss
Run the local 10K in under an hour (in October): I stopped running in early Jan because I pushed myself too far and needed a break. Went for a run earlier this week and it was a struggle.
Go camping (or a two-day hike) (except I have no camping experience or equipment and none of my friend circle is into it): There's no point having this one on here, it's not a priority.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

uvar posted:

Buy a house (or have one built).

I haven't updated much because my goals were fairly vague or yes/no things but :grovertoot: house search is over, offer got accepted for a near-perfect place, slightly over my original (somewhat unrealistic) budget but still nicely affordable. Settlement and all the rest should line up nicely with my current lease ending, too, I'm not cutting things too close there.

So that's my big project hopefully ticked off. New goal is to make sure I don't mess up the finance and keep on top of all the other costs and fees. After that, move in, after that, figure out what my new budget looks like, and then eventually get to work on my other goals like "get fit" because I foresee a lot of takeaways in the near future.