Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Financial Goals for 2021

1. Grow my Emergency Fund from $6,000 to $12,000, the equivalent of going from enough to cover 3 months to a little over 6 months minimum expenses
2. Set up an HSA as my main tax advantaged account, keeping my existing Roth as a supplemental
3. Contribute at least $6,000 (16% of gross income) between the HSA and Roth
4. Take any surprise money throughout the year and put all of it into my retirement accounts. See how close I can come to maxing out the $9,600 combined limit
5. Stay within my budget consistently to avoid skimping on savings to cover extra expenses. Aim to stay completely within budget 10 months out of the year
6.Do my own taxes for 2020 instead of foisting them off on my CPA father like I have for the last decade
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year road map to pin down what types of long term savings goals I have outside of retirement savings

Personal Goals for 2021:

1. When restaurants are safe to return to, go on an extended tour of the places serving the spiciest food in LA in one weekend
2. Stop my cursory study of Larousse Gastronomique and really dig in and try to get to a journeyman level with my French cooking
3. Use my sous vide setup more
4. Find a chess club in my area and spend some time actually playing games instead of just doing solo positional puzzles
5. When the Channel Island National Park reopens for camping, spend a long weekend on Santa Cruz and a long weekend on San Miguel Islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Financial Goals for 2021

1. Grow my Emergency Fund from $6,000 to $12,000, the equivalent of going from enough to cover 3 months to a little over 6 months minimum expenses
2. Set up an HSA as my main tax advantaged account, keeping my existing Roth as a supplemental
3. Contribute at least $6,000 (16% of gross income) between the HSA and Roth
4. Take any surprise money throughout the year and put all of it into my retirement accounts. See how close I can come to maxing out the $9,600 combined limit
5. Stay within my budget consistently to avoid skimping on savings to cover extra expenses. Aim to stay completely within budget 10 months out of the year
6.Do my own taxes for 2020 instead of foisting them off on my CPA father like I have for the last decade
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year road map to pin down what types of long term savings goals I have outside of retirement savings

Personal Goals for 2021:

1. When restaurants are safe to return to, go on an extended tour of the places serving the spiciest food in LA in one weekend
2. Stop my cursory study of Larousse Gastronomique and really dig in and try to get to a journeyman level with my French cooking
3. Use my sous vide setup more
4. Find a chess club in my area and spend some time actually playing games instead of just doing solo positional puzzles
5. When the Channel Island National Park reopens for camping, spend a long weekend on Santa Cruz and a long weekend on San Miguel Islands

February Update:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: This ended up taking a swerve. I put $3,550 that would have closed most of the gap into my new HSA for tax year 2020. As a result I'll probably only manage to grow my emergency fund to a 4.5 month equivalent this year, but I think increasing the health of my retirement fund is worth the trade offs.
2. Set up an HSA: Done. Made a maxed contribution for 2020 and set up re-occurring contributions to max out 2021. One thing to strike off the list.
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $434 / $6,000 Slightly below track, even accounting for the two upcoming months with 3 biweekly payments. I might not meet this one since I'll still be diverting some excess income to grow my emergency fund for the whole year. No matter what, I should hit 15% of pre-tax income going into retirement savings.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 between HSA/Roth as possible: No progress yet.
5. Stay within budget at least 10 months out of the year: January successful, came 8% under budget. 1/10
6. Do my own taxes: I'm working to fix a 1099G form for partial unemployment assistance that the CA unemployment office messed up (on hold for 2+ hours so far today). Other than that, all other tax related forms are ready to go for the 12th.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: LA is still a plague zone and I'm pushing back my estimate of when I might get vaccinated to Fall 2021 as the vaccine rollout hits snag after snag. Still might be possible to fit this in though.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've been paging through and marking things, but no movement so far.
3. Cook more things sous vide: Cooked one big meal using sous vide protein in January
4. Find a chess club and play more games: No movement on this one
5. Hike the Channel Islands: Long weekend on Santa Cruz planned for early March to catch wildflower season

A month in and I've already made some major changes to my goals, but I think it was for a sound reason, and overall I'm happy with progress so far.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

February Update:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: This ended up taking a swerve. I put $3,550 that would have closed most of the gap into my new HSA for tax year 2020. As a result I'll probably only manage to grow my emergency fund to a 4.5 month equivalent this year, but I think increasing the health of my retirement fund is worth the trade offs.
2. Set up an HSA: Done. Made a maxed contribution for 2020 and set up re-occurring contributions to max out 2021. One thing to strike off the list.
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $434 / $6,000 Slightly below track, even accounting for the two upcoming months with 3 biweekly payments. I might not meet this one since I'll still be diverting some excess income to grow my emergency fund for the whole year. No matter what, I should hit 15% of pre-tax income going into retirement savings.
5. Stay within budget at least 10 months out of the year: January successful, came 8% under budget. 1/10
6. Do my own taxes: I'm working to fix a 1099G form for partial unemployment assistance that the CA unemployment office messed up (on hold for 2+ hours so far today). Other than that, all other tax related forms are ready to go for the 12th.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: LA is still a plague zone and I'm pushing back my estimate of when I might get vaccinated to Fall 2021 as the vaccine rollout hits snag after snag. Still might be possible to fit this in though.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've been paging through and marking things, but no movement so far.
3. Cook more things sous vide: Cooked one big meal using sous vide protein in January
4. Find a chess club and play more games: No movement on this one
5. Hike the Channel Islands: Long weekend on Santa Cruz planned for early March to catch wildflower season

A month in and I've already made some major changes to my goals, but I think it was for a sound reason, and overall I'm happy with progress so far.

March Updates:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.3 months, on track for at least 4.5 months by the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $890/ $6,000 Improved on the rate slightly from last month, but still on a path to undershoot my goal by a few hundred dollars. Barring a major windfall that lets me max out my emergency fund, probably going to fall just short. Since it was maxing out my HSA for 2020 that delayed completing my emergency fund, I'm not sweating if I have a small gap in retirement saving for the year.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 months out of the year: February successful, came in 5% under budget, for 6.5% under budget for the year. 2/10
6. Do my own taxes: Done, Federal and State filed, Federal refund received, State tax bill paid
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year financial road map: Done. Right now I don't have a long term savings goal beyond retirement. I identified a few short and medium term savings goals and have a rough plan of how to achieve them.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: One of the two people I would do this with has been fully vaccinated. With the improving vaccine rollout I'm kind of hoping this can happen in summer.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've got my recipes, I'll cook at least one in March
3: Cook more things sous vide: Rolling along strong cooking steaks or burgers once a month, thinking about trying out with fish
4. Find a chess club and play more games: I'm playing more games online, but haven't looked at a chess club. Maybe I have an aversion to getting better.
5. Hike the Channel Islands: I'll be out there in one week. Looking forward to it.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

March Updates:

1. Grow my Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.3 months, on track for at least 4.5 months by the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $890/ $6,000 Improved on the rate slightly from last month, but still on a path to undershoot my goal by a few hundred dollars. Barring a major windfall that lets me max out my emergency fund, probably going to fall just short. Since it was maxing out my HSA for 2020 that delayed completing my emergency fund, I'm not sweating if I have a small gap in retirement saving for the year.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 months out of the year: February successful, came in 5% under budget, for 6.5% under budget for the year. 2/10
6. Do my own taxes: Done, Federal and State filed, Federal refund received, State tax bill paid
7. Complete a 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year financial road map: Done. Right now I don't have a long term savings goal beyond retirement. I identified a few short and medium term savings goals and have a rough plan of how to achieve them.

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Foods Tour: One of the two people I would do this with has been fully vaccinated. With the improving vaccine rollout I'm kind of hoping this can happen in summer.
2. Cook more French cuisine: I've got my recipes, I'll cook at least one in March
3: Cook more things sous vide: Rolling along strong cooking steaks or burgers once a month, thinking about trying out with fish
4. Find a chess club and play more games: I'm playing more games online, but haven't looked at a chess club. Maybe I have an aversion to getting better.
5. Hike the Channel Islands: I'll be out there in one week. Looking forward to it.

April Update (Q1 already, how time flies):

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.6 months of funds, with a good chance to get to at least 5 months by the end of the year. Thank for the third stimulus check Joe!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $1,606/$6,000 Managed to up the pace, now on track to meet and possibly pass this mark. Still not going to sweat it if I fall a little short.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: March succesful, came in 3.5% under budget, 5.5% under budget for the year so far. 3/10
6. Do my own taxes: Not as done as I thought. Hopefully the IRS sorts out the situation around refunding excess payments on unemployment insurance. This is why I never try to get things done early! :argh:
7. Complete a 5, 10, and 20 Year financial road map Done

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone involved has had at least one vaccine shot. On track to safely doing this during the summer.
2. Cook more French cuisin: I let this one slip, I need to stop taking the lazy route of coming up with easy recipes while shopping
3. Cook more sous vide: Definitely doing some fish this month, in addition to steaks
4: Find a chess club and playmore games: Probably going to drop this
5 Hike the Channel Islands: Done. Lovely camping trip, it had been way too long since the last time

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

April Update (Q1 already, how time flies):

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.6 months of funds, with a good chance to get to at least 5 months by the end of the year. Thank for the third stimulus check Joe!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $1,606/$6,000 Managed to up the pace, now on track to meet and possibly pass this mark. Still not going to sweat it if I fall a little short.
5. Stay within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: March succesful, came in 3.5% under budget, 5.5% under budget for the year so far. 3/10
6. Do my own taxes: Not as done as I thought. Hopefully the IRS sorts out the situation around refunding excess payments on unemployment insurance. This is why I never try to get things done early! :argh:
7. Complete a 5, 10, and 20 Year financial road map Done

Personal Goals:
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone involved has had at least one vaccine shot. On track to safely doing this during the summer.
2. Cook more French cuisin: I let this one slip, I need to stop taking the lazy route of coming up with easy recipes while shopping
3. Cook more sous vide: Definitely doing some fish this month, in addition to steaks
4: Find a chess club and playmore games: Probably going to drop this
5 Hike the Channel Islands: Done. Lovely camping trip, it had been way too long since the last time

May Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.7 months. Now that I'm out of windfall season it'll be steady contributions until hopefully more windfalls at the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,067/$6,000 Continuing to keep a good pace.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: No progress yet.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: April successful, but just barely. Came in 0% under budget, 4.1% under budget for the year so far. 4/10
6. Do my own taxes: Should hopefully be entirely finished when IRS auto-corrects my unemployment situation this month.
7. Complete a 5, 10, and 20 year financial road map. Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone has all their shots, now just need to set a list of restaurants and schedule when.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made ratatouille and cassoulet, but I want to go for something more challenging next time
3. Cook more sous vide: Going to mark this as done, getting a lot of use out of it.
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped
5 Hike the Channel Islands Done

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

May Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.7 months. Now that I'm out of windfall season it'll be steady contributions until hopefully more windfalls at the end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,067/$6,000 Continuing to keep a good pace.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: April successful, but just barely. Came in 0% under budget, 4.1% under budget for the year so far. 4/10
6. Do my own taxes: Should hopefully be entirely finished when IRS auto-corrects my unemployment situation this month.

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Everyone has all their shots, now just need to set a list of restaurants and schedule when.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made ratatouille and cassoulet, but I want to go for something more challenging next time
3. Cook more sous vide: Going to mark this as done, getting a lot of use out of it.
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped
5 Hike the Channel Islands Done

June Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.8 months. This number isn't likely to change much until July.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,527/$6,000 Pace of extra contributions slowed down in May, but still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: May successful, but still coming in just under the wire. Came in 0% under budget, 3.4% under budget for the year so far. 5/10
6. Do my own taxes: Still waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. I need to plan a chicken fricassee or something
3. Cook more sous vide: Done
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online
5. Hike the Channel Islands Done

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

June Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.8 months. This number isn't likely to change much until July.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,527/$6,000 Pace of extra contributions slowed down in May, but still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: May successful, but still coming in just under the wire. Came in 0% under budget, 3.4% under budget for the year so far. 5/10
6. Do my own taxes: Still waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. I need to plan a chicken fricassee or something
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online

July Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.9 months. I get an extra pay check this month, so this number should jump up a bit in August.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,972/$6,000 Still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: June was successful, but it's a lot harder to be under budget now that things are opening up and prices are jumping. Came in 0% under budget, 2.8% under budget for the year so far. 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: Eternally waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July, going to hit 6 places in 3 days, plus host a bbq. Definitely going to be a marathon.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. Extra demands from work a forcing me to do extreme meal prepping to get through the week. I want to make coq au vin this month.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

July Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 3.9 months. I get an extra pay check this month, so this number should jump up a bit in August.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $2,972/$6,000 Still on track
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: June was successful, but it's a lot harder to be under budget now that things are opening up and prices are jumping. Came in 0% under budget, 2.8% under budget for the year so far. 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: Eternally waiting on the IRS to autocorrect my 2020 unemployment situation

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Scheduled for late July, going to hit 6 places in 3 days, plus host a bbq. Definitely going to be a marathon.
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No progress. Extra demands from work a forcing me to do extreme meal prepping to get through the week. I want to make coq au vin this month.

August Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. If the stars align I might actually grow this to 6 months even with the big HSA contribution earlier this year. Fingers crossed!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $3,932/$6,000 Getting on a very nice pace, should exceed this goal and start chipping away at the extra goal before the end of the year.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for July, but a larger paycheck kind of balanced things out. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: The tax refund for my unemployment pay finally came through. Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Managed to get this in before the delta surge made LA too dicey. the heat was very nice! Done
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No coq a vin yet. I won't cross this off until I get that and boeuf bourguignon crossed off
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online. Almost went to an otb meetup, but then delta

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

August Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. If the stars align I might actually grow this to 6 months even with the big HSA contribution earlier this year. Fingers crossed!
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $3,932/$6,000 Getting on a very nice pace, should exceed this goal and start chipping away at the extra goal before the end of the year.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for July, but a larger paycheck kind of balanced things out. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes: The tax refund for my unemployment pay finally came through. Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Managed to get this in before the delta surge made LA too dicey. the heat was very nice! Done
2. Cook more French Cuisine: No coq a vin yet. I won't cross this off until I get that and boeuf bourguignon crossed off
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but i am playing more games online. Almost went to an otb meetup, but then delta

September Update

Big life change, in September I start a new job that doubles my salary. Some of my stretch goals suddenly got a lot easier to meet.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. Not much movement this much, but I'm expecting some one off windfalls next month which will move this needle.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,410/$6,000 Seems like I would have met this even without the new job.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for August by about $30, but suddenly that seems like much less of a problem. If I can get through my last constrained budget this month, things should get a lot easier. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
1. Spicy Food Tour: Done
2. Cook more French Cuisine: I really need to remember this one, I keep going Japanese instead. I was talking about making a pot roast this weekend, might as well make it beef bourguignon
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but a partial success at least

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

September Update

Big life change, in September I start a new job that doubles my salary. Some of my stretch goals suddenly got a lot easier to meet.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.5 months. Not much movement this much, but I'm expecting some one off windfalls next month which will move this needle.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,410/$6,000 Seems like I would have met this even without the new job.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Missed this goal for August by about $30, but suddenly that seems like much less of a problem. If I can get through my last constrained budget this month, things should get a lot easier. Still 6/10
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: I really need to remember this one, I keep going Japanese instead. I was talking about making a pot roast this weekend, might as well make it beef bourguignon
4. Find a chess club and play more games: Dropped, but a partial success at least

October Update

Started new job, waiting for the new income to come streaming in.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.8 months. I have hope I'll hit my goal on the first day of the new year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,744/$6,000 Kind of irrelevant because I now have access to free health insurance which doesn't qualify for an HSA, and most of my contributions will be going to a 401k. I'll blow this number out of the water with my first paycheck though.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: See above.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Managed to keep my spending in check this month. Now 7/10. Might actually hit this goal as I'll have a lot more budgeted discretional income in Q4.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made a bunch of French dishes last month, happy to call this one done.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

October Update

Started new job, waiting for the new income to come streaming in.

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 4.8 months. I have hope I'll hit my goal on the first day of the new year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $4,744/$6,000 Kind of irrelevant because I now have access to free health insurance which doesn't qualify for an HSA, and most of my contributions will be going to a 401k. I'll blow this number out of the water with my first paycheck though.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: See above.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Managed to keep my spending in check this month. Now 7/10. Might actually hit this goal as I'll have a lot more budgeted discretional income in Q4.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Made a bunch of French dishes last month, happy to call this one done.

November Update

Got my first full paycheck from the new job. Feels amazing

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 5.5 months. This should definitely be completed by end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $5,75/$6,000 I'll meet this goal next month.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: Kind of irrelevant, I'm putting almost everything into my newly available 401k .
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 8/10.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals
2. Cook more French Cuisine: Done

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

November Update

Got my first full paycheck from the new job. Feels amazing

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Currently at 5.5 months. This should definitely be completed by end of the year.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $5,75/$6,000 I'll meet this goal next month.
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: Kind of irrelevant, I'm putting almost everything into my newly available 401k .
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 8/10.
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

December Update

Fingers crossed, but I look to be cruising to success on most of my goals for the year

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Done, I went from no emergency savings to 6 months worth of savings (probably closer to 8 or 9 months if I cut expenses in an emergency) in a year and a half. Feels very nice.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $6,100/$6,000 Done
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 9/10. Being able to increase my discretionary budget by a few hundred dollars a month really helped with this
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

December Update

Fingers crossed, but I look to be cruising to success on most of my goals for the year

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Done, I went from no emergency savings to 6 months worth of savings (probably closer to 8 or 9 months if I cut expenses in an emergency) in a year and a half. Feels very nice.
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: $6,100/$6,000 Done
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: Now 9/10. Being able to increase my discretionary budget by a few hundred dollars a month really helped with this
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

End of Year Update

1. Grow Emergency Fund: Done
2. Set up an HSA Done
3. Contribute at least $6,000 between HSA/Roth: Done
4. Contribute as close to $9,600 as possible between HSA/Roth: As of now at $7,100. I'll try to cap out my Roth 2021 Roth using whatever I have left over each month+ my tax refund.
5. Stay Within my budget at least 10 Months out of the year: 10/10. Done
6. Do my own taxes Done

Personal Goals

2020 and 2021 are in a weird place for me because they both objectively sucked poo poo, but the crisis of 2020 woke me up to the fact that I needed a real budget and systemic financial planning, and in 2021 I feel like I really successfully implemented that budget and plan. 2021 also saw a completely unexpected career move that seems like it's going to be life changing. With any luck 2022 is going to be a banner year for my finances.