Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until February.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%

Financial Goals for 2021:
- Max out Backdoor Roth IRAs for me/wife: 12k Done
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account.
- Max out our 401ks/457s
- Max out our HSA
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September

I need to figure out some stretch goals for us this year. I'm not sure whether that should be Net Worth, branching out to an (really, any) investment other than index funds, etc. My wife and I also need to figure out some career stuff, and whether both of us are happy with where we are professionally/geographically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chu020 posted:

COVID has forced a lot of extra work on me and my wife, but at least they're paying us for it, and we're just taking that income and throwing it at index funds for now. It's been hard personally and professionally though, and we continue to evaluate whether we want to stay here for much longer or start looking for better options before the kids get much older.

Same, minus the "paying us (extra) for it." If there's one thing I learned during this COVID situation, it's that your employer doesn't love you and that everyone is replaceable, no matter what they do. Guess I'm lucky I learned it in my 30s.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
March Update:

quote:

I need to figure out some stretch goals for us this year. I'm not sure whether that should be Net Worth, branching out to an (really, any) investment other than index funds, etc. My wife and I also need to figure out some career stuff, and whether both of us are happy with where we are professionally/geographically.

Welp, March Update is a big one:
1. My wife and I are moving across the country for new jobs. Her job will give an immediate 80k pay increase, with less work, and cut her commute from 2 hours/day to 20-30 minutes/day.
2. My new job will lead to an immediate 20k or so pay-bump, followed by a huge retirement match/increase, followed by a huge pay increase after 2 years. Unfortunately, my new job does not qualify for loan forgiveness, which means I'll have to pay back my student loans.
3. Unfortunately, no 401k matching for either of us in year 1.

So:
Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until February.
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3%

- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July, 11k/month in to a taxable account.
- Max out our 401ks/457s
- Max out our HSA
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in October.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
July 2021 Update:

Current State
- Mortgage on a 15 year fixed at 3% Sold house

- Buy a house?
- Increase net worth to the next 500k.
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July (this month), 11k/month in to a taxable account.
- Max out our 401ks/457s
- Max out our HSA Switched to a regular insurance plan at the new job due to some possible health expenses that may not be very well covered by a HSA.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in October.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
October 2021 Update:

Current State

- Buy a house? Maybe by the end of the year?
- Increase net worth to the next 500k. Done!
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July, 11k/month in to a taxable account. Technically done, saved additional bonus money as well.
- Max out our 401ks/457s Done for the year
- Max out our HSA Switched to a regular insurance plan at the new job due to my wife expecting next year.
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Done, but not longer work at a 501c3 :sigh:
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
EOY/December 2021 Update:

Current State
- My student loans: 170k, eligible for PSLF in 2 years, currently 0% interest, no payments until May.
- Bought a house, new mortgage on 30 year fixed at 2.875% :toot:

- Buy a house? Maybe by the end of the year? Just bought a house at the end of the year!
- Increase net worth to the next 500k. Done, and made surprising progress to the next goal.
- Put at least $7k/month in to a taxable account. Starting in July, 11k/month in to a taxable account. Done, well above this goal!
- Max out our 401ks/457s Done
- Max out our HSA Switched to a regular insurance plan at the new job due to my wife expecting next year. Done
- Annual recertification of PSLF in September. Done, but no longer work at a 501c3 :sigh:
- Look in to refinancing student loans after 0%/forbearance ends in May. Pushing this to a 2022 goal

Pretty happy with how this year turned out in some ways. Financially, we made a move that worked our fairly positively for my wife, laterally for me, but has the potential to be very positive for me in 2022/2023. Professionally it's still TBD, but my wife is super happy now (versus having a miserable commute previously), so there's that, which should be pretty good since we have our first baby due in March. :toot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 28, 2021