Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Our financial goals for this year are mostly boring:

1. Max out our Roth IRAs (transactions are already processing)
2. Max out my 403b
3. Max out my 457
4. Transition my wife from a temp at her current job to a full-time hire

Some personal goals:

1. Have our first baby
2. Do a planche
3. Do some substantial programming or ML side project (can't think of anything decent)
4. Take a vacation if Covid looks contained by summer

Not sure how personal goal 1 will interact with financial goal 4.

I'm also 62% to my FI number and my overall accumulation goal is to get to 75-80% and then recalibrate (I have no desire to retire early). It's possible to achieve that this year if the markets gain >10% (which seems in the realm of possibility if the reopening of the economy starts picking up steam). That's clearly not in my control and so is not a goal, but it'll be something I'm going to be conscious of.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2. Either fully fund wife IRA or in the unfortunate event that she does not have a job for the whole year, fund taxable with same amount. did the 6k in to taxable but still hopefully wife will get job!

You should be able to fund your wife's IRA: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/spousal-ira.asp

edit: Unless you make too much

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 14, 2021

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

drainpipe posted:

Our financial goals for this year are mostly boring:

1. Max out our Roth IRAs (transactions are already processing)
2. Max out my 403b
3. Max out my 457
4. Transition my wife from a temp at her current job to a full-time hire

Some personal goals:

1. Have our first baby
2. Do a planche
3. Do some substantial programming or ML side project (can't think of anything decent)
4. Take a vacation if Covid looks contained by summer

Not sure how personal goal 1 will interact with financial goal 4.

I'm also 62% to my FI number and my overall accumulation goal is to get to 75-80% and then recalibrate (I have no desire to retire early). It's possible to achieve that this year if the markets gain >10% (which seems in the realm of possibility if the reopening of the economy starts picking up steam). That's clearly not in my control and so is not a goal, but it'll be something I'm going to be conscious of.

All financial goals are completed as well as the personal goals minus personal goal #2 so it was a good year! My wife went from temp to full time to now per diem because of the baby, which is pretty ideal.

Due to the performance of the market, I've also hit my overall accumulation goal of getting to 75%-80% FI. I am now at 20x my annual spend or 25x my core spend (rent + utilities + groceries + auto expenses), which is a good position to be. We'll see how the baby affects the annual spends going forward.