Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I was super excited about budgeting for 2020, and then everything went to poo poo. Now that everything is STILL poo poo but at least in a routine kind of way, I'm ready to give it another go. It's not like I just completely threw out my budget when COVID hit, but I was much more loose with it since I had to buy apocalypse supplies and whatnot. Anyway...

uvar posted:

New year, new thread. Share your goals! Double your net worth? Get a new mattress? Pay off that mobster? Doesn't matter how big or small, don't feel like yours are too petty - :justpost:

My financial goals:
-six months of rent in my emergency fund ($7,822.52 to go)
-six months of monthly bills (electric, gas, etc.) in my monthlies fund ($2,250 to go)
-two years of yearly bills (Amazon Primer, renters' insurance, etc.) in my yearlies fund ($998.90 to go)

My only personal goal:
-get a new mattress (seriously)

The COVID situation is still too ambiguous for me to set any real personal goals. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was super excited about budgeting for 2020, and then everything went to poo poo. Now that everything is STILL poo poo but at least in a routine kind of way, I'm ready to give it another go. It's not like I just completely threw out my budget when COVID hit, but I was much more loose with it since I had to buy apocalypse supplies and whatnot. Anyway...

My financial goals:
-six months of rent in my emergency fund ($7,822.52 to go)
-six months of monthly bills (electric, gas, etc.) in my monthlies fund ($2,250 to go)
-two years of yearly bills (Amazon Primer, renters' insurance, etc.) in my yearlies fund ($998.90 to go)

My only personal goal:
-get a new mattress (seriously)

The COVID situation is still too ambiguous for me to set any real personal goals. :shrug:

February updates (just a day late!):
* emergency fund - I got debilitatingly sick for a couple of days so my emergency fund has made no progress
* monthly bills - on track ($798.90 to go)
* yearly bills - no progress
* new mattress - nope

Yay. :geno: I'll make sure to use the mid-month paycheck properly.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Mattress/boxspring (goal complete! :toot:) = $576
Pillows = $26
Emergency vet visit that turned out to be a UTI that was BARELY covered by pet insurance = $401 $21.70 was covered. :geno:

Total = $1,003 = not a whole lot of progress of any kind this past month :negative:
There's also the fact that I have a neurologist appointment on the 5th that may or may not cost $1,400 despite the fact that it's just a checkup.

Also, I'm a dumbass who didn't post concrete financial goals, only money that I had to add to basically unknown amounts in each savings account. I suck at this. :sigh: I also reworked my budgetary goals so that they would seem a little less daunting, reducing them so they're more realistically attainable and thinking of them as dollar amounts rather than months/years' worth. This is the final draft -- no Blue Story bullshit, I promise.

My financial goals, 2.0:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.92 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($2,497.82 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,737.71 to go)

My new personal goals now that I have a sweet rear end mattress:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day
-eat breakfast at home four times a week

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mattress/boxspring (goal complete! :toot:) = $576
Pillows = $26
Emergency vet visit that turned out to be a UTI that was BARELY covered by pet insurance = $401 $21.70 was covered. :geno:

Total = $1,003 = not a whole lot of progress of any kind this past month :negative:
There's also the fact that I have a neurologist appointment on the 5th that may or may not cost $1,400 despite the fact that it's just a checkup.

Also, I'm a dumbass who didn't post concrete financial goals, only money that I had to add to basically unknown amounts in each savings account. I suck at this. :sigh: I also reworked my budgetary goals so that they would seem a little less daunting, reducing them so they're more realistically attainable and thinking of them as dollar amounts rather than months/years' worth. This is the final draft -- no Blue Story bullshit, I promise.

My financial goals, 2.0:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.92 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($2 3,497.82 to go) edit: a wild miscalculation
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,737.71 to go)

My new personal goals now that I have a sweet rear end mattress:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day
-eat breakfast at home four times a week

Thing that I thought was a neurologist appointment bill that turned out to just be random medical debt = $1,439.11
Miscellaneous medical debt that they chose not to tell me about until after they tried to sell it = $351.90 seriously, I have no idea what this is for, but it was on the NYU Langone site so it at least probably isn't a scam
More weird cat behavior = $241.83

Total = $2,032.84 = MAJOR setback. Fun times. Hopefully I'll get at least slightly reimbursed for the medical/cat expenses, but I'm choosing to act as if I won't, because I don't want to put any faith in hypothetical money. Without further ado,

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($4,548.59 to go) -- medical/cat debt count as emergencies
-$7,000 for travel ($2,698.66 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,780.55 to go) -- I actually had to pay a yearly bill

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I don't know why I can't just be thirsty more than an hour before I have to go to bed, but I sure am trying
-eat breakfast at home four times a week this is working quite well
Throwing in a "get down to 200 pounds preferably by the end of June but definitely by the end of the year" goal. (edit: never too late to fix a typo.)

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 6, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
No additional major setbacks this month. Also, as of April 13, I work in an office again! :toot: (unironically I am overjoyed, working from home was torture)

YeahTubaMike posted:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($4,548.59 to go) -- medical/cat debt count as emergencies
-$7,000 for travel ($2,698.66 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,780.55 to go) -- I actually had to pay a yearly bill

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I don't know why I can't just be thirsty more than an hour before I have to go to bed, but I sure am trying
-eat breakfast at home four times a week this is working quite well
Throwing in a "get down to 200 pounds preferably by the end of June but definitely by the end of the year" goal. (edit: never too late to fix a typo.)

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.77 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,998.46 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,695.54 to go)

Meager progress, but ONLY progress. :)

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I'm not sure why, but drinking water in an office makes this way easier.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week This has been a MASSIVE failure. Who knew that having a commute and a hygiene routine that I can no longer postpone to the middle of the day would make this more difficult to accomplish? :v:
-get down to 200 pounds 29.6 lbs to go.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Thankfully things continue to be relatively stable. Office life is treating me well. :)

Here's something that I've realized about myself -- I have a tendency to want to complete goals, rather than do the "slow & steady" thing. I saw that I had the option of completing my travel goal on the spot, which would have been cutting it unnecessarily close & making it harder to reach my other goals. I had to stop myself from doing that this month, but the urge was there.

Also, I am way, way, way, WAY behind on my bill savings goals, and I'm starting to think that I should complete my emergency/travel goals first, then use the money that used to go toward emergency/travel & put it toward bills. I have no reason to believe that my job is in danger (famous last words), so I think that is a perfect end-of-year goal, considering where I'm currently at. Thanks for letting me vent/talk this out.

YeahTubaMike posted:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,998.77 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,998.46 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,695.54 to go)

Meager progress, but ONLY progress. :)

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I'm not sure why, but drinking water in an office makes this way easier.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week This has been a MASSIVE failure. Who knew that having a commute and a hygiene routine that I can no longer postpone to the middle of the day would make this more difficult to accomplish? :v:
-get down to 200 pounds 29.6 lbs to go.

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.58 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,498.24 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.88 to go) :corsair:

Meager progress, but ONLY progress...again. I don't know whether to try saving more money and risk rushing too much, or keep going like this. The year isn't even close to over so not being completely done with all of this by like August is not something that I necessarily have to do, a fact I have to keep reminding myself.

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I mean, obviously it's still a goal, but I'm crossing it out because the habit is established and it's not going anywhere.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I still suck at this. Why must the office be practically on top of a Dunkin Donuts? :smithicide:
-get down to 200 pounds 28.8 lbs to go. :btroll:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 1, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Some things that threw EVERYTHING off-kilter, including this extremely late post:

* You know how I was/am saving up for travel? Well, I traveled! I went to Iceland on June 11 and got back on June 20, and had a much-needed, decadent, wonderful, seafood- & beer-filled vacation. There is a dent in my travel fund as a result. That said, this is the first time I've traveled with any kind of actual budget, so coming home & basically reimbursing myself threw me off, to the point that I wasn't quite sure to do with the money, so I just kind of...didn't really plan anything out? It's probably a mess. I haven't contributed to anything because I'm not really sure where the money should go yet, so August is probably going to be a better month, as I spend July getting myself re-situated.

* My cat was severely constipated, resulting in a couple of hasty off-hours Uber trips to the emergency vet but thankfully no bills. I used emergency money for the trips though. She's all better now, pooping like the champ that she is.

* I work at an edtech company, and we are trying to do literally everything possible before back-to-school, or else this post would have been made much closer to the beginning of the month.

Now, without further ado...

YeahTubaMike posted:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.58 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($1,498.24 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.88 to go) :corsair:

Meager progress, but ONLY progress...again. I don't know whether to try saving more money and risk rushing too much, or keep going like this. The year isn't even close to over so not being completely done with all of this by like August is not something that I necessarily have to do, a fact I have to keep reminding myself.

My personal goals:
-drink 3+ bottles of water a day I mean, obviously it's still a goal, but I'm crossing it out because the habit is established and it's not going anywhere.
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I still suck at this. Why must the office be practically on top of a Dunkin Donuts? :smithicide:
-get down to 200 pounds 28.8 lbs to go. :btroll:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.53 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($3,698.63 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.75 to go) :corsair:

So uh, yay for interest? In all seriousness, I need to learn how to follow a routine of contribution despite any and all disruptions, including but not limited to kick-rear end international vacations. Like I said, August will be bigger and better. It basically can't not be, unless I buy a car or something. I live in New York City, and I have epilepsy -- no cars for me. :v:

My personal goals:
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I decided that it might actually be a better idea to factor five modest fast-food breakfasts a week into my budget instead of trying to make waking up at 6am every weekday work. When I say modest, I mean cheap AND not huge. A wrap and coffee from DD on the way to work is enough to keep me alive.
-get down to 200 pounds 33.2 lbs to go. :btroll: Look, I got back from vacationing in a place where all my favorite food is popular less than a month ago, a setback was bound to occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Some things that threw EVERYTHING off-kilter, including this extremely late post:

* You know how I was/am saving up for travel? Well, I'm traveling again. It's probably not the most budgetarily responsible thing, but to be honest, 1) it feels like I'm making up for lost time, and 2) as long as I'm not dipping into the emergency fund or starving myself I don't have too much of a problem with it.

* I forgot to cancel my subscription to The Athletic, so there was an unexpected $71.99 credit card charge yesterday. This is my only CC debt; I do not use my credit card unless I can immediately pay off the debt.

* I deliberately waited a month to post because

quote:

I haven't contributed to anything because I'm not really sure where the money should go yet, so August is probably going to be a better month, as I spend July getting myself re-situated.

The thing about that was I wasn't able to get re-situated until MID-August, when I got my non-rent paycheck, so an overview at the beginning of August would have made things look even more anomalous. Aaaaaanyway...

quote:

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($3,498.53 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($3,698.63 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,599.75 to go) :corsair:

[...]

My personal goals:
-eat breakfast at home four times a week I decided that it might actually be a better idea to factor five modest fast-food breakfasts a week into my budget instead of trying to make waking up at 6am every weekday work. When I say modest, I mean cheap AND not huge. A wrap and coffee from DD on the way to work is enough to keep me alive.
-get down to 200 pounds 33.2 lbs to go. :btroll: Look, I got back from vacationing in a place where all my favorite food is popular less than a month ago, a setback was bound to occur.

My financial goals:
-$8,000 for emergencies ($2,498.25 to go)
-$7,000 for travel ($5,998.75 to go)
-$4,000 for monthly AND yearly bills ($3,399.84 to go) - I'm beginning to think trying to save for bills was a stupid, Sisyphean thing to do :sigh:

My personal goals:
-eat breakfast at home four times a week Nixing the breakfast goal because budgeting for breakfast instead of eating it at home is working well.
-get down to 200 pounds 27.6 lbs to go. It would be super cool for my weight to stop hovering around 230, but I definitely have to work harder.

I feel obligated to think of more goals, especially now that the breakfast one is pretty much taken care of. Maybe prettying up my wardrobe? :confused: