Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

crazypeltast52 posted:

7. Finish QDMA Deer Steward I and make a plan for the family land to improve whitetail habitat
This sounds really interesting, what are you doing with the land?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

2020 Recap
Things went about as well as they could all things considered. Passed my CFP exam so I can be a financial planner - now I just have the experience requirements left. Bought a piano, which was the best investment I made in 2020 by far. And I finished writing my regency novel first draft after way too long of dicking around with it.

2021 Goals
- Read 50 books
- Teach my kid to read
- Polish and publish novel
- Date night once a week, even if it's just popcorn and a movie/game at home
- Weekly volunteering at the library park
- Install trellises for the blackberries
- Stain deck
- Clean and paint front patio
- Paint house something bright and sassy
- All wage income goes into the 401k and Trad IRA
- All publishing income goes into solo 401k
- In November/December, max out 0% cap gains bracket
- Switch healthcare providers in November/December

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Do you already have insurance covered - term life for both of you, disability, maybe umbrella insurance? And do you have basic estate planning set up, at the very least for guardianship for your kids? If not, I would add those as financial goals to your list.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Umbrella is super cheap (I think mine is like $250/year for $2M) and it would be useful if someone sues you for tripping on your front stoop or if you hit a pedestrian with your car. These are catastrophic things that could derail you, but of course they are rare events (which is why it's cheap). If you have kids over to your house doing stupid kid poo poo, you might want to get it just in case.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

moana posted:

2021 Goals
- Read 50 books - on track. Finished book #13. My favorite so far has been a collection of short stories by Ted Chiang - he's an excellent sci fi author
- Teach my kid to read - she can read phonetically now, it's slow going but she loves it and that's the most important thing.Her favorite books are the Dog Man comics and Sonic
- Polish and publish novel ugh. Halfway done with editing but I am at the point of hating it. Just gotta power through.
- Date night once a week, even if it's just popcorn and a movie/game at home doing great with this one!
- Weekly volunteering at the library park - nope, more like monthly.
- Install trellises for the blackberries
- Stain deck
- Clean and paint front patio
- Paint house something bright and sassy
- All wage income goes into the 401k and Trad IRA on track
- All publishing income goes into solo 401k on track

New goal: pass the Series 65 in a couple weeks. I have not studied at all so here's hoping that just reading the stock picking and long term threads are good enough to give me a pass ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Trucking along.
2021 Goals
- Read 50 books - On book 38 right now. Circe was a really fun beach read retelling of the Odyssey
- Teach my kid to read - She's teaching herself with Dogman. So many fart jokes.
- Polish and publish novel - Edits are DONE! Now to publish.
- Date night once a week, even if it's just popcorn and a movie/game at home Batting 50/50
- Weekly volunteering at the library park - Yep
- Install trellises for the blackberries - Once lumber prices go down, this is on the to do list.
- Stain deck -oops I forgot this one
- Clean and paint front patio I'm putting the husband in charge of this one.
- Paint house something bright and sassy I painted it purple! It's a lavendery sort of purple and I love it. Kind of like this:
- All wage income goes into the 401k and Trad IRA done
- All publishing income goes into solo 401k done

I also quit my job, so I might not have to do those last two depending on how things shake out with my income. Excited to be home more to get to some smaller projects. Just planted the last round of rattlesnake beans today in the garden.