Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Alright, let's try this again.

2020 Recap
- My student loans: $185k, eligible for PSLF in 2022
- Her student loans: $150k, eligible for PSLF in 2023
- Mortgage at 3.615% on 15 yr
- Shipped the piano from my parent's house to ours, spent a year re-learning how to play

Financial Goals for 2021
- Max out both Roth IRAs done
- Max out both 401ks/457bs (on autopilot)
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income
- PSLF recert in Oct
- $1k/month for 2 529s for the kids (on autopilot)
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference

Personal Goals
- Help out more with kids at home, has been hard because of my schedule
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year
- Revisit professional goals

COVID has forced a lot of extra work on me and my wife, but at least they're paying us for it, and we're just taking that income and throwing it at index funds for now. It's been hard personally and professionally though, and we continue to evaluate whether we want to stay here for much longer or start looking for better options before the kids get much older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
March Updates

With extended 0% interest and hold on federal loan payments through October, goals have changed a bit.

Financial Goals for 2021
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income now $3k/mo with the loan payment hold
- PSLF recert in Oct
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference successfully refinanced to a 2.25% 15 yr, didn't cash out because I'm a weenie and hate debt

Personal Goals
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year made it through one a bit faster than I thought, but still working on being able to play it well
- Revisit professional goals still thinking about it, still in a holding pattern for now depending on a possible leadership change in the near future
- Since we're getting a lot extra a month in savings from the loan payment hold, looking into redoing floors/kitchen earlier than originally planned

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
July Updates

Financial Goals for 2021
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income $3k/mo with the loan payment hold
- PSLF recert in Oct, PSLF eligible 6/22 I'm sure the loans possibly being switched to a new servicer in Jan won't cause any issues here at all! :negative:
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference now 2.25% 15 yr, didn't cash out because I'm a weenie and hate debt

Personal Goals
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year still figuring out what to learn next
- Revisit professional goals holding pattern for now, keep hoping we'll hire a new chief soon but that keeps getting pushed back
- Looking into kitchen remodel, but contractors all busy and prices of materials fluctuating so holding off until things calm down a bit

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Oh hey should probably update this for end of year:

Financial Goals for 2021
- Max out both 401ks/457bs done
- Put $1k/month toward taxable accounts stretch goal of $2k depending on moonlighting income $3k/mo all year, + a hefty lump sum from an unexpected bonus
- PSLF recert in Oct, PSLF eligible 5/22 Done, with the pause until May should only have to make one payment after the pause ends and then submit
- Refinance mortgage to lower rate, cash out and invest the difference now 2.25% 15 yr

Personal Goals
- Learn 2 new piano pieces this year failure, time has been short, thanks COVID
- Revisit professional goals things are bad and getting worse this winter, looking a bit more seriously at moving but it's terrible everywhere
- Looking into kitchen remodel, but contractors all busy and prices of materials fluctuating so holding off, got a new sectional and redid some floors instead
[/quote]

Got a bonus I wasn't expecting, way upped savings for the year, just crossed the 7 figure mark for retirement savings earlier than expected. If it happens again next year maybe we'll move up FI by a year or two.