Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

Hope it is okay to post here? I'm a uk goon and a filthy poor but I do want to continue getting to grips with my financials.

I did post in the UK thread but it tended towards Q & A so my posts were a bit out of place.

:justpost: bro

2020 summary

Doccykins posted:

End of Year 2020

- No consumer debt
- Pension pot grew from £83k to £87k
- ISA grew from £4k to £8k
- NW increased from £100k to £117k

-Started running in January, Stopped running in April, stupid pandemic (says the guy who has noone to blame but himself)
-We managed to get out to Italy in September for two weeks when the coronas were subdued which in hindsight was extremely lucky. Ask me about seeing the Sistine Chapel/Colosseum/Pompeii without any crowds :D

:grovertoot: We closed on December 18th in the end, got a van full of our worldly goods and escaped London right as the net was dropping for tier 4, which bought us a whole week to try out new furniture... But we are in! And managed to have Christmas here with turkey for 2! If you said to me I'd own a house and will be spending the vast majority of my working and living time in it at the end of 2019 I absolutely would not have believed you but here we are! It's been a rollercoaster ride but super happy with our little home :grovertoot: :grovertoot:

On to 2021!

2021 Financial Goals

- 0% interest consumer debt only (need to paint my house with money)
- Grow pension pot from £87k to £100k
- Grow ISA from £8k to £12k
- Start short term saving £200/month for a newer car in 2022 (and more if current expenditure allows)
- Increase NW from £117k to £140,400 (+20%) - This should be a bit easier this year as I'm now paying down a mortgage on a (hopefully) appreciating asset instead of paying out rent every month

2021 Personal Goals

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Some of these are really hard to shop for when there's a pandemic on and you can't try sitting/lying on them :<
- poo poo or get off the pot wrt a pay rise - I have been 'promised' one better than a CoL adjustment since 2019 and love this job but if winning 'this organisation wouldn't function without you' of the year in December won't convert into a higher paycheck I need to seriously look elsewhere
- Once we're corona proof take another 2 week holiday somewhere nice before everywhere gets busy again
- Take a break from work at lunch each day instead of 'powering through' and ending up working 9am-6pm straight (At least I've completed my 2019 target of stop eating out at lunch :D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

- Start short term saving £200/month for a newer car in 2022 (and more if current expenditure allows)
- Increase NW from £117k to £140,400 (+20%) - This should be a bit easier this year as I'm now paying down a mortgage on a (hopefully) appreciating asset instead of paying out rent every month

2021 Personal Goals

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Some of these are really hard to shop for when there's a pandemic on and you can't try sitting/lying on them :<
- poo poo or get off the pot wrt a pay rise - I have been 'promised' one better than a CoL adjustment since 2019 and love this job but if winning 'this organisation wouldn't function without you' of the year in December won't convert into a higher paycheck I need to seriously look elsewhere
- Once we're corona proof take another 2 week holiday somewhere nice before everywhere gets busy again
- Take a break from work at lunch each day instead of 'powering through' and ending up working 9am-6pm straight (At least I've completed my 2019 target of stop eating out at lunch :D)

End of Jan update:

- No consumer finance debt yet, this is good!
- Pension pot £89k
- ISA £8.4k
- First £200 transferred
- NW £118k

Personal Goals
- Ordered Sofa, Bed, Mattress, Bedside Tables. Put 50% down on the sofa and 10% down on the Bed/Bedside Tables. Bought mattress outright
- Done nothing here :effort:
- Waiting for the olds to get vaccinated first
- I started doing this really well in the first week of January, took a day off for my birthday and then last week managed to work into the small hours finishing documentation of all things (I hate documentation :mad: )

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

2021 Personal Goals

End of Feb:

- No consumer debt still, going well chugging along paying things in full instead
- Pension pot back to £87k, despite number go up the bond holdings are taking a thorough beating. Not concerned as I wont be cashing this in for ~30 years
- ISA £8.5k
- £400, slow and steady on this one
- NW £116.5k, back to Jan on this but again lots of year to go yet

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables |
- I have been promised, PROMISED that there is a salary reband for me in with HR and we will find out what this is by the end of next month, along with backpay to the start of the year
- Olds are getting vaccinated at a good rate, should be good for a September two week holiday again but not counting any chickens yet
- Errr, good and bad on this one. Managed to get out for a walk a few times and made a point to stop and ignore email/teams for an hour on others but have just nipped down to the kitchen to get a sandwich and gone back up to the office as well

Not pleased, but not mortified. We'll see where the chips fall for this alleged raise...

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of Feb:

- No consumer debt still, going well chugging along paying things in full instead
- Pension pot back to £87k, despite number go up the bond holdings are taking a thorough beating. Not concerned as I wont be cashing this in for ~30 years
- ISA £8.5k
- £400, slow and steady on this one
- NW £116.5k, back to Jan on this but again lots of year to go yet

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables |
- I have been promised, PROMISED that there is a salary reband for me in with HR and we will find out what this is by the end of next month, along with backpay to the start of the year
- Olds are getting vaccinated at a good rate, should be good for a September two week holiday again but not counting any chickens yet
- Errr, good and bad on this one. Managed to get out for a walk a few times and made a point to stop and ignore email/teams for an hour on others but have just nipped down to the kitchen to get a sandwich and gone back up to the office as well

Not pleased, but not mortified. We'll see where the chips fall for this alleged raise...

End of Mar

- No consumer debt still
- Pension pot £90k
- ISA £8.8k
- £600 still going slowly here
- NW £120k

Personal Goals
- :yotj: got +10% after having 7 dangled in front of me for the longest time, happy enough to call off the interviewing-via-zoom jobsearch for now
- Partner got her first shot last weekend so just waiting on the call for me now and we'll have a roadmap to a holiday in late summer, just need to find somewhere that isn't pandemichell
- Falling out of the habit here which is really bad, need to reset and regroup to how I was at the start of the year after Easter

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of Mar

- No consumer debt still
- Pension pot £90k
- ISA £8.8k
- £600 still going slowly here
- NW £120k

Personal Goals
- :yotj: got +10% after having 7 dangled in front of me for the longest time, happy enough to call off the interviewing-via-zoom jobsearch for now
- Partner got her first shot last weekend so just waiting on the call for me now and we'll have a roadmap to a holiday in late summer, just need to find somewhere that isn't pandemichell
- Falling out of the habit here which is really bad, need to reset and regroup to how I was at the start of the year after Easter

End of April

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £91k
- ISA £9.2k
- £800 here, steady as she goes
- NW £122k

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Outdoor Furniture | New set of kitchen knives (thanks payrise)
- :yotj: done here
- Vaccine rollout is creeping down to the 40+ range now, a couple more weeks and I should be called up
- I took the last week off as a congratulations to myself for securing the pay rise and did nothing but play video games. It was awesome.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of April

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £91k
- ISA £9.2k
- £800 here, steady as she goes
- NW £122k

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Outdoor Furniture | New set of kitchen knives (thanks payrise)
- Vaccine rollout is creeping down to the 40+ range now, a couple more weeks and I should be called up
- I took the last week off as a congratulations to myself for securing the pay rise and did nothing but play video games. It was awesome.

End of May

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £92k
- ISA £9.7k
- Car fund £1,000
- NW £123k

Personal Goals
- | PC + Monitor | Sofa | Easy Chair | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Outdoor Furniture | New set of kitchen knives - No changes here this month but Bed/Bedside Tables and Easy Chair have now all been delivered and final payments made for all
- :toot: Got Pfizer #1 last week, just had a mild sore arm and managed to play cricket the day after so all good. Clock is running for the second in 8-12 weeks. Partner has her AstraZenica #2 booked in for Saturday. What actually matters more is that both sets of parents have now had two jabs +3 weeks
- When the rain finally subsided I've managed to spend lunch hour in the garden :toot:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

2021 Personal Goals

Update for end of June and end of Q2

- No consumer debt, really happy with this one as I thought I'd need to take out a loan somewhere for the amount of stuff needed to furnish a house but have managed to pay out of savings
- Pension Pot at £94k, on target
- ISA at £10k, on target
- Short Term Savings at £1200, on target
- NW £127k, slightly below target but the biggest purchases are now all cleared (aside from a dining table + dining and office chairs)

If I zaurg'd my figures and included the alleged appreciation on the house I'd have cleared my NW target already. That's how messed up this housing market is currently and it makes me extremely nervous that we're heading for another crisis.

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Kitchen Knives | Outdoor Furniture - Great progress here, only the aforementioned seating and a dining table to go
- Work pay increase secured, can close this one off for the rest of the year
- Partner has had 2 Astrazenica + 3 weeks with no lasting issues, I've got my second Pfizer booked in for August though hopefully can bring that forward to mid July as 8 weeks between doses rather than 12
- We have a week booked at the end of August in the UK because lol @ getting on a plane in the next few months without the government changing the rules with no notice
- Ehh, kinda falling behind on this.. There was a bit of crunch at end of Q2 so need to reassert my lunch hour now that's been completed

All in all a decent 6 months, keep on chugging for Q3/4 :)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

Update for end of June and end of Q2

- No consumer debt, really happy with this one as I thought I'd need to take out a loan somewhere for the amount of stuff needed to furnish a house but have managed to pay out of savings
- Pension Pot at £94k, on target
- ISA at £10k, on target
- Short Term Savings at £1200, on target
- NW £127k, slightly below target but the biggest purchases are now all cleared (aside from a dining table + dining and office chairs)

If I zaurg'd my figures and included the alleged appreciation on the house I'd have cleared my NW target already. That's how messed up this housing market is currently and it makes me extremely nervous that we're heading for another crisis.

- Buy new furnishings for house: | PC + Monitor (oops) | Sofa | Office Desk | Office Chair | Bed | Mattress | Dining Table + Chairs | Bedside Tables | Kitchen Knives | Outdoor Furniture - Great progress here, only the aforementioned seating and a dining table to go
- Work pay increase secured, can close this one off for the rest of the year
- Partner has had 2 Astrazenica + 3 weeks with no lasting issues, I've got my second Pfizer booked in for August though hopefully can bring that forward to mid July as 8 weeks between doses rather than 12
- We have a week booked at the end of August in the UK because lol @ getting on a plane in the next few months without the government changing the rules with no notice
- Ehh, kinda falling behind on this.. There was a bit of crunch at end of Q2 so need to reassert my lunch hour now that's been completed

All in all a decent 6 months, keep on chugging for Q3/4 :)

End of July

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £95.6k
- ISA £11k
- Short Term Savings £1400
- NW £130k

- Bought a proper dining table, will make a new goal to have at least one meal a week at it like adults rather than eating TV dinners on our laps
- Got my second Pfizer last week, have a nice week in the country at the end of this month
- Started taking an hour screen break again now Q2 crunch is over, and have the week off at the end of the month to relax and recharge

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of July

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £95.6k
- ISA £11k
- Short Term Savings £1400
- NW £130k

- Bought a proper dining table, will make a new goal to have at least one meal a week at it like adults rather than eating TV dinners on our laps
- Got my second Pfizer last week, have a nice week in the country at the end of this month
- Started taking an hour screen break again now Q2 crunch is over, and have the week off at the end of the month to relax and recharge

End of August

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k :eyepop:
- ISA £12k :toot:
- Short Term Savings £1600
- NW £135k

- Went on holiday last week in the south west (along with EVERYONE ELSE :derp: ) but it was lovely weather and we even got to go on a beach in England
- All jabbed up and ready to rock, we might scoot off on a last minute holiday to somewhere in Europe if the rules stop changing
- I went back to the office today for the first time in for ever to sort some poo poo out, took a full hour lunch break. This is SO MUCH EASIER to do in the office when you get up and leave for a full hour

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of August

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k :eyepop:
- ISA £12k :toot:
- Short Term Savings £1600
- NW £135k

- Went on holiday last week in the south west (along with EVERYONE ELSE :derp: ) but it was lovely weather and we even got to go on a beach in England
- All jabbed up and ready to rock, we might scoot off on a last minute holiday to somewhere in Europe if the rules stop changing
- I went back to the office today for the first time in for ever to sort some poo poo out, took a full hour lunch break. This is SO MUCH EASIER to do in the office when you get up and leave for a full hour

Number go down

End of September

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £98k
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £1800
- NW £134k

- Holidays done, short break / long weekend this month for a wedding
- Watching the corona levels before booking anything here
- Still easier to take a break in the office rather than when WFH but I've been forcing myself to move out of the room with my laptop in for an hour a day

House is still climbing in alleged value though! :grovertoot:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

Number go down

End of September

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £98k
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £1800
- NW £134k

- Holidays done, short break / long weekend this month for a wedding
- Watching the corona levels before booking anything here
- Still easier to take a break in the office rather than when WFH but I've been forcing myself to move out of the room with my laptop in for an hour a day

House is still climbing in alleged value though! :grovertoot:

End of October

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k and a bit :popeye:
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2000
- NW £137k

- Back to the South West this month for my dad's birthday
- Going to assume no winter sun for now, everyone assumes corona is over
- Getting bad at this one again, had to crunch a new environment in record time last week so going to push back this month and enforce lunch again
- Bought outdoor furniture in the spring, so obviously had to pay out for the covers for the winter. Just proper dining chairs to go on the house stuff front though

Everything looks to be at or just beating annual targets, hopefully with a nice month's cushion

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

End of October

- No consumer debt
- Pension Pot £99k and a bit :popeye:
- ISA £12k
- Short Term Savings £2000
- NW £137k

- Back to the South West this month for my dad's birthday
- Going to assume no winter sun for now, everyone assumes corona is over
- Getting bad at this one again, had to crunch a new environment in record time last week so going to push back this month and enforce lunch again
- Bought outdoor furniture in the spring, so obviously had to pay out for the covers for the winter. Just proper dining chairs to go on the house stuff front though

Everything looks to be at or just beating annual targets, hopefully with a nice month's cushion

End of November

- No consumer debt :toot:
- Pension pot £102k :toot:
- ISA £12.5k :toot:
- Short Term Savings £2200 :eyepop:
- NW £139.5k :eyepop:

- Taking a week off this week coming, and done with work at the end of next week for the year to burn off my accrued leave
- Hunkering down for Omicron
- I have 5 working days left for 2021 and am going to use December to chill
- Bought dining chairs! They are far too expensive and wont arrive until some time next year but I'm going to hit all my finance goals by next month so deserve to splash a little :toot:

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

2021 Financial Goals

2021 Personal Goals

End of Year 2021

- Zero consumer debt :toot:
- Pension Pot increased from £87k to £105k :toot:
- ISA increased from £8k to £13k :toot:
- Short Term Savings increased from £0 to £2400 :toot:
- NW increased from £117k to £141k :toot:

- Bought all new furnishings except for Office Chair (because I can't find one that's better than my current falling apart one)
- Pay rise of 10% in March :toot:
- Took one week in the UK in August for partner's birthday, both fully vaccinated and boosted so just going to wait out omicron
- Kinda did this, fell back at some point but good to repeat for 2022

Zoopla puts the house at having increased in value by 11% in a year (only our purchase price minus outstanding mortgage was taken into account for NW figures.) I am astounded. :rip: anyone not already on the housing ladder in the UK.

But a good year! Bring on 2022!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Thread for 2022 is here if you're a bookmarker rather than forum reader!