Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm a huge loving moron but it seems to me this would be good because it would force facebook and twitter to actually moderate its content. why am i wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

laws arent real, they exist in the mind

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jose posted:

I'm a huge loving moron but it seems to me this would be good because it would force facebook and twitter to actually moderate its content. why am i wrong

lol if u think "moderate" doesn't mean "remove leftists, keep nazis"

Trump is even explicit that that is exactly the goal

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

itd either kill social networks outright or have no effect other than make posting pig poop balls a federal crime

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

doesn't sa fall under the same umbrella? they'd probably have to close the fyad-likes

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

the same reason why a nation-wide mask mandate is bad. it's impossible to enforce which will lead to selective enforcement, which means the enforcers get to decide who lives and who dies.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jose posted:

are you ready to moderate content :colbert:

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

human garbage bag posted:

the same reason why a nation-wide mask mandate is bad. it's impossible to enforce which will lead to selective enforcement, which means the enforcers get to decide who lives and who dies.

Facebook, Google, and Twitter are doing this now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think nothing will happen relly to big sites but little forums like ours will get epically pwned but idk

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
nothing will happen that is good. but, if something could happen that is bad,

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
you should be for repealing section 230 simply because 2000 bucks will make a bigger positive impact on people's lives and their immediate conditions than being free to poo poo post on the internet. people who argue otherwise havei nhaled too much rhetoric on freedom of speech on the internet and all that.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
while $2000 may indeed have greater impact on "material" needs in the immediate short term, the longer term spiritual benefit of poo poo posting on the internet for many years to come must certainly be weighed

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
i think we can all straightforwardly agree that everyone on this forum doesn't use the internet, doesn't need the internet, and doesn't care about the internet

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

while $2000 may indeed have greater impact on "material" needs in the immediate short term, the longer term spiritual benefit of poo poo posting on the internet for many years to come must certainly be weighed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I don’t think they’d come for the shitposts. I think they’d come for the videos documenting police violence, and the people calling out their employer’s lovely practices, and anything else that challenges power and can be silenced by a SLAPP suit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Victory Position posted:

are you ready to moderate content :colbert:

Post in gbs and link it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Smythe posted:

i think nothing will happen relly to big sites but little forums like ours will get epically pwned but idk

this is my suspicion too.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
couldnt people just move their poo poo to canadia or w/e

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Jose posted:

you're a moderator, OP. do you want to be deposed because a goon sued jeffrey because i called them a lib and wasn't probed or banned? even when they insist they aren't a lib but clearly are?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i would totally sell my account for 2k

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
let chaos reign

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

you're a moderator, OP. do you want to be deposed because a goon sued jeffrey because i called them a lib and wasn't probed or banned? even when they insist they aren't a lib but clearly are?

I would absolutely ban taintrunner if I saw him post in gbs

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
been thinking about this and mayube logging off could be good? like de atomize people? but realistically something like this would leave fb and the likes intact. a community like ours might be small enough to fall through the cracks?? no idea how it would play out tho im not a computer goon

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

T-man posted:

doesn't sa fall under the same umbrella? they'd probably have to close the fyad-likes

lol c-spam would be the first to go

qcs would absolutely send the FBI all the posts that they claimed would get the site shut down and then nothing happened

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i don't think they would care about some thing awful

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
I think it'd be great to nuke twitter/facebook/etc, however since this is the shabbiest reality probably the only forum it was enforced on would be cspam (small, smells bad, jeffreys bitcoin millions aren't enough to buy off politicians)

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

laws in their purest form are an epiphenomena of posting, if u really think about it

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It will be good when all human communication is strongly moderated by companies and user created content is a legal liability only a giant media company can afford to barely provide. as a leftist I support this because I have somehow decided this will only apply to my enemies for some reason.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

they are already moderating* their content OP

*censoring

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Jose posted:

It would single-handedly destroy the internet, OP.

Imagine if you could sue verizon because someone talked about buying weed on the phone.

Wait, sorry, I just argued myself in to agreeing with you. Do it, OP.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I submit "Lol, guillotine jeff bozo" to the disney supersite. 8 hours later I get a rejection notice back.

This is a victory for leftism because it briefly reduced facebook's stock by 1% for a week before raising it immeasurably.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020
https://www.eff.org/issues/cda230/infographic

its really loving bad, op. nobody should want more corporate control of speech online

Syncopation has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Jan 3, 2021

Bob Jones
Mar 6, 2007
Nerve Stapled

The eff is a bought out corporate tech lobby lol I would take their whinging with some salt.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Jose posted:

Why moderate it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the takes pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to :justpost:.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jose posted:

Rather than fighting a lawsuit, sites will start taking down anything that gets a suit filed against them (or that they think will). Guess which political orientation has more money to file lawsuits with, OP.

Let's put it this way. The Jehovah's Witnesses have a long history of suing anybody that makes a name for themselves posting anything disparaging about them. Now instead of going through the process of getting a subpoena to get the identity of the user, who gets to make their case anonymously at first, to sue them, they could just sue Youtube and Youtube would take the content down rather than dealing with the lawsuit. It's basically making it so that hate groups and cults and political groups can shut down content with their wallets. As it is now 95% of the time Youtube gets to say "Section 230, now let me go back to counting the money these views are getting me."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It will be good when all human communication is strongly moderated by companies and user created content is a legal liability only a giant media company can afford to barely provide. as a leftist I support this because I have somehow decided this will only apply to my enemies for some reason.
agreeing with ooc sucks but yea lol at all the supposed 'leftists' who want marky zuckerborg to become even more powerful and richer. monopolies ftw

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
it would be prohibitively expensive to have any site with user-generated content. think of how much time goes into creating that content. now you have to have someone who reads that content, which takes about the same amount of time. also by making all content pre-moderated instead of post-moderated, you'd end up with your post sitting in limbo for a while even if it did happen, which would slow down the dopamine rush of using all these stupid apps, which greatly diminish their userbase.

it pretty much kills social media by making it too expensive to run.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jose posted:

do you remember when the internet was just static pages with no way to interact with them?
that's what getting rid of 230 does, it sends us tumbling back into that abyss
instead of moderating content (and risking getting sued) websites will just disable all user-generated content, forever

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

T-man posted:

they'd have to kill sa as well, guarantee one of the offsites would sue

Korean Boomhauer posted:

couldnt people just move their poo poo to canadia or w/e

as hosed up as the united states is we have the strongest freedom of speech laws in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

do you remember when the internet was just static pages with no way to interact with them?
that's what getting rid of 230 does, it sends us tumbling back into that abyss
instead of moderating content (and risking getting sued) websites will just disable all user-generated content, forever

It's not even like it'd reset things to the 90s. All the dragon ball Z sites on GeoCities could exist because GeoCities was legally shielded from what the users made.

Like everyone is all stuck on "hehehe social media, ssuck it! heheheheh" but it's not like it's just going to close facebook and end all the enemy posters or something, it's transforming the internet to cable tv where you have a couple big companies that release content then you read the content.