Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

With the arrival of 5G we are in a new era of posting technology, posting will be faster and more immersive than ever before. From fish farming to sports and surgery, 5G technology is a revolution in connectivity - but how will it affect YOSPOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I turned off 5G on my phone because it was causing loss of service.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I turned off 5G on my phone because it was causing me to contract novel coronavirus.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

:hmmyes:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i’m the kid climbing on the tower

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this is how yosposters get made

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

President Beep posted:

im the burning elmo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im the cat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bemoan this new era in which your posts are transmitted faster, more frequently, and with reduced lag.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I want all the posts to touch me on a cellular level

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rip in piss

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

SpaceAceJase posted:

I want all the posts to touch me on a cellular level

so that’s how forums cancer happens.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

5G attracts gang-stalkers and makes my morgellons act up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i won’t get 5g for years mostly because cell phone plans in canada have been stupid and i’ve got something of a unicorn in terms of paying like $36/mo for lte as it is.

President Beep posted:

we used to climb the electrical transmission towers on our farm. in related news i was embarrassingly old before i realized they weren’t literally called “tires”

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

i bemoan this new era in which your posts are transmitted faster, more frequently, and with reduced lag.

don't worry, yours will always feel like they take forever to read

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the biggest benefit of 5g is that it will move the internet of poo poo outside your local wifi

sure the entire internet will have access to your smart toaster now but at least they can't use it to bridge into anything important on the internal network

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

the biggest benefit of 5g is that it will move the internet of poo poo outside your local wifi

sure the entire internet will have access to your smart toaster now but at least they can't use it to bridge into anything important on the internal network

just waiting for some kind of subsidized toaster that prints news on your bread to get hacked

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

it does also help the less networking smarts they have. removing wifi/nat/proxy special cases for internet access, having then just dumbly connect to a hardcoded address, check the certificate returned, and then do their REST call or whatever. pretty much rip out of the tcp/ip stack the ability to do anything else.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

in related news i was embarrassingly old before i realized they weren’t literally called “tires”

lol. this is some eastern accent thing, right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

lol. this is some eastern accent thing, right?

pure hillbilly appalachian south, so i guess eastern by some definition

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

pure hillbilly appalachian south, so i guess eastern by some definition

see also my realization that 'holler' and 'hollow' were actually the same word

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

brb writing legend of sleepy holler

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mediaphage posted:

never considered this. makes sense.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
5g literally killed me, op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hey so what happend with the whole "5G will destroy our ability to predict the weather" thing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m sad we no longer get this craziness. rip

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

did he die? real shame if so :(

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

did he die? real shame if so :(

yeah another victim of 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

obama got him. :rip:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
this forum is the 5g murder rays and i am the suffering and woe depicted

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

How many G’s do astronauts get when they go to space? That’s how many G’s I want... plus one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this explains why I feel so bad going outside and getting exercise

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my expensive ham radio won't quite get up to 5G but it will do 10 watts of power on 1.296 GHz which is lol

it's incredibly inefficient and difficult to generate microwave RF

this thing is a blowtorch

if i want to just willfully interfere with people i have a 600 milliwatt ubiquiti bullet i can use to make 2.4ghz unusable for a half mile radius

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

it's incredibly inefficient and difficult to generate microwave RF

isn't the magnetron quite efficient?

(a cavity magnetron probably counts as difficult, though, considering it was an atomic bomb-level secret in ww2)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
magnetrons are a very coarse firehose of RF on a general range of frequencies. if you want to transmit actual information you need a really accurate oscillator driving everything, which is why my good microwave rig has a 10.000000 MHz clock input meant to be strapped to a GPS-disciplined clock source

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the stock stability is 0.5 PPM which sounds great until you realize at 1296 MHz that means you have 650 hertz of wiggle in either direction, which is absolutely intolerable for precise modes when you're bouncing RF off the moon or whatever. strap a GPSDO to it and you're locked down to 10, 20 hertz. much better!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cell base stations all use GPS for clock sync which is why hams will calibrate their radios to LTE carrier signals. it's not really easy to get tighter sync than that.

GPS is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Bored Online posted:

im the burning elmo