Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BARONS DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

this is racist isnt it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
what an odd image

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

what an odd image
turn on your monitor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

this is racist isnt it

whats the conspiracy? that maori hate 5g?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I don't care about 5g

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I can video call people in good quality on 4g. I don’t see why I need 5g anytime soon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are there ANY actual advantages to all this 5g poo poo (higher data rate to consumer devices doesn't count, at this point that's like selling 8k tvs) or is it entirely a marketing thing to get people to buy new phones

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
geez guys spare a thought for those trying to future proof us and enable the internet of poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
did we ever figure out what the Five Gs were?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Grace, Gentleness, Gifs, GNU, and Gibs: These are The Five G's of Posting

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
G-d, Guns, Goons, Gifs, and Graboids

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well there's to flavors of 5g
one is good for "you're in a stadium and 60,000 people are trying to use the same cell site" or similar. literally only useful in crowded outdoor settings where line of sight is doable
one is good for extending network coverage at pedestrian speeds

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
what if you put them together to get 10G wireless :wth:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

https://youtu.be/87_4nHEPHyU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

my uncle works for the G company and he gave me a special phone that can do everything up to 8G.

i'm not allowed to show it to anyone though because a kid in japan 8G'd his sister and she died

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah. thanks for sharing regardless. :stare:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my grandpa died from 5g

he fell off a g tower

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

one is good for "you're in a stadium and 60,000 people are trying to use the same cell site" or similar. literally only useful in crowded outdoor settings where line of sight is doable
one is good for extending network coverage at pedestrian speeds

5G in macro environments using normal spectrum is like 25% faster than 4G in ideal circumstances lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ah good I can use my monthly data cap in 0.75 seconds instead of the full second

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

blue raspberry is my favorite flavor

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I turned off 5g on my i phone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

I turned off 5G on my phone because it was causing loss of service.

cool post

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

5gees nuts in your face haahahah

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
5g uys burgers and fries

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

are there ANY actual advantages to all this 5g poo poo (higher data rate to consumer devices doesn't count, at this point that's like selling 8k tvs) or is it entirely a marketing thing to get people to buy new phones

new frequencies means it's less congested, people get higher speeds at first. then when we all move over the limitations of a shared medium mean we're almost back where we started

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

5g uys burgers and fries

omg.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have no five and i must g

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

the current installation of law enforcement radios are the last ones that will not be on 5G.

We will be moving to a shared network where cops can commandeer tower capacity for whatever they want, cutting off ordinary people from access.

That has huge benefits in a protest situation.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
government should have absolutely no control over communications infrastructure in any way, shape, or form.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

government should have absolutely no control over communications infrastructure in any way, shape, or form.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a strong shaggaring to end the work week.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

government should have absolutely no control over water quality or home power actually being 120 volts at 60 hertz in any way, shape, or form.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no reason for the government controlling network infrastructure beyond their ability to prevent communications

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hang tight and i'll respond as soon as my dialup connection finishes delivering your post

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol @ the idea that government has done anything other than actively prevent rollout of network infrastructure

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i sure am tired of all these standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah i love all those government communication standards like broadcast censorship and wiretap mandates.