Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my expensive ham radio won't quite get up to 5G but it will do 10 watts of power on 1.296 GHz which is lol

it's incredibly inefficient and difficult to generate microwave RF

this thing is a blowtorch

if i want to just willfully interfere with people i have a 600 milliwatt ubiquiti bullet i can use to make 2.4ghz unusable for a half mile radius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
magnetrons are a very coarse firehose of RF on a general range of frequencies. if you want to transmit actual information you need a really accurate oscillator driving everything, which is why my good microwave rig has a 10.000000 MHz clock input meant to be strapped to a GPS-disciplined clock source

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the stock stability is 0.5 PPM which sounds great until you realize at 1296 MHz that means you have 650 hertz of wiggle in either direction, which is absolutely intolerable for precise modes when you're bouncing RF off the moon or whatever. strap a GPSDO to it and you're locked down to 10, 20 hertz. much better!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cell base stations all use GPS for clock sync which is why hams will calibrate their radios to LTE carrier signals. it's not really easy to get tighter sync than that.

GPS is amazing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

are there ANY actual advantages to all this 5g poo poo (higher data rate to consumer devices doesn't count, at this point that's like selling 8k tvs) or is it entirely a marketing thing to get people to buy new phones

the current installation of law enforcement radios are the last ones that will not be on 5G.

We will be moving to a shared network where cops can commandeer tower capacity for whatever they want, cutting off ordinary people from access.

That has huge benefits in a protest situation.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

government should have absolutely no control over water quality or home power actually being 120 volts at 60 hertz in any way, shape, or form.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hang tight and i'll respond as soon as my dialup connection finishes delivering your post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

what's the right kind of portable radio to carry in a protest situation

you either run $1200 encrypted motorola radios or $25 baofengs. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.