Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

A Bad Poster posted:

I was an 18X.

Let me tell you about how the two months I spent at Camp Mackall resulted a decade later in a knee that hurts every day, and about 30% disability.

My back, hip and knee still loving hurt years later but I think it's all fixable with a lot of stretching and accessory work, I got a high enough rating that I don't really have to work unless I want to given I live on the frugal side. Honestly, worth it.

Getting back into lifting is hard though, I've been at it a few months and I'm just now going to start loading since I think I've done enough rehabbing that I can safely do squats and deadlifts without loving my back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

I never understood why this forum generally dogpiles on anyone who says they've got a service goal they're looking to get after. The machine isn't going away, if someone wants to go and accomplish something in it, cool. That's all them. What's the utility in calling them and idiot and saying they're going to fail, other than just kind of being a broke brained dickhead on the internet?

Should clarify I mean anyone who's in or been in. Anyone looking to join should be told 'don't do that' and if they can't be talked out of it harm reductioned in to that job handing out towels at the gym in the Air Force

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I had a big post about why I tell people not to join, but it started to look like a pile of reasons I should probably be back on an antidepressant. I’ll go with “already had back problems at 23” and “got an ankle injury that makes it give out at random” instead of going much further into the suicides of friends after they came home, horrifically violent deaths, and morons/racists that infest the chain of command at all levels.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My current plan for re-enlisting.

Join in whatever MOS is available, fingers crossed for 88M.

Hit the rank of E-6

go through OCS

Become a captain of a company, teach everyone about the Baptist religion and convert my entire company into preaching Baptists

retire and work for KBR

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nice and hot piss posted:

Hit the rank of E-6

go through OCS

Become a captain of a company, teach everyone about the Baptist religion and convert my entire company into preaching Baptists

retire and work for KBR

88N is better for rank and contracts as a civilian.

(Transportation Management Coordinator)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm not going to tell you not to enlist.

I will tell you why I wouldn't, and it starts with "Well, the last night I actually slept a full night was 14 Feb 03." And goes on to list all the ways I'm physically jacked up.

If they still want to discuss the merits, I will also share the mental issues I have from service.

No one under 25 should be allowed to enlist, anyway.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Went AGR, new boss said I’m going to go airborne. Then jump master… uh what? I expected Rigger school but okay.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That sounds like a dumb idea to me, but I have an ongoing grudge against gravity. It's the only law I can't break.

No, I say that because every jump increases the long term damage to your frame, even without any single significant injury. And I might be remembering wrong, but Jumpmaster requires 10(?12?) jumps.

I mean, your life, your job, all that nonsense.
As a former paratrooper, I consider it a moral obligation to try and stop people from becoming paratroopers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nice and hot piss posted:

Hit the rank of E-6

go through OCS

retire and work for KBR

my dude jusat get into airsoft

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

bulletsponge13 posted:

And I might be remembering wrong, but Jumpmaster requires 10(?12?) jumps.

I thought it was 12 or 13 but it’s probably waiverable at the O-6 level.

Anyway, good luck White Chocolate! All you need to know for jump school is feet and knees together. All you need to know for jumpmaster is flash cards, flash cards, flash cards. Have fun! Also I’m now half an inch shorter than when I went into the army. Guess what from?

Edit: This comes across as too snarky. Here’s my genuine advice: jump as rarely as you can to keep your status while avoiding the ire of your bosses. Do not chase jumps just because you want a cooler piece of flair. I did, and my back and neck are 20 years older than the rest of me. Wasn’t worth it. Not even close.

iKon fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 11, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Jump for pay and proficiency only

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hell all I did was jump out of a loving truck and I've got a disability rating, a lifetime of pain/loss of range of motion in my back and guaranteed spinal fusions in my future. Jumping out of a plane for the Army? Forget that. The Army ain't gonna be there for you for the rest of your life, it'll chew you up and spit you on the side of the road.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Head, shoulders, knees and toes. These are all of the things that will hurt.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You’ll also ruck a lot.

On concrete.

My ankles and knees hate me for that alone.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
What's a little repetitive stress among jackasses that hate each other?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Two spinal fusions.

One knee surgery.

Too many corticosteroid injections in various joints to remember.

A drawer full of splints, braces, and wraps.

A knee replacement in the not too distant future.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Great. I'm going to die in Cuba before I can retire.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1415733797417590784

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
poo poo, are we really still pursuing failed JFK foreign policy?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A.o.D. posted:

poo poo, are we really still pursuing failed JFKDulles foreign policy?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I get where you're coming from, but he was never the guy with final approval.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Everything comes in cycles. We've finished loving around with the Middle East so now its back to Latin America and we'll circle back around to SE Asia

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flikken posted:

Everything comes in cycles. We've finished loving around with the Middle East so now its back to Latin America and we'll circle back around to SE Asia

Boy oh boy I can't wait until we lose a capital ship to Hypervelocity missiles between Vietnam and the Philipines.

vvvvv maybe my geography is all messed up but isn't the middle east Southwest Asia, and Vietnam in the Southeast?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 15, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Flikken posted:

Wow just skipping SW Asia and Vietnam?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A.o.D. posted:

I get where you're coming from, but he was never the guy with final approval.

He just made sure that JFK thought it wouldn't fail and okayed it up until JFK gave final approval, despite knowing it wouldn't succeed, because he hoped that JFK would okay air support on day of when the Cubans hit the beach.

eta: then, you know, helping establish the Cubans that would harass Castro for decades after

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 15, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fun fact the original plan for the invasion was built on the idea was that they'd take over a pretty anti-castro population center that was pretty defensible and had a fallback plan to the mountains nearby. It was ambitious, and a little stupid, but not totally moronic.

They changed location to the pay of pigs which had an extremely loyal pro-Castro population, where Fidel spent a lot of time vacationing and knew like the back of his hand, and a lot of the locals knew Fidel personally. The fallback plan was still to escape to those same mountains, which were also now separated by like 100 miles of impassible swamp, and a bunch of angry Cuban troops.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

A.o.D. posted:

vvvvv maybe my geography is all messed up but isn't the middle east Southwest Asia, and Vietnam in the Southeast?

Yeah the ME is the SW corner of the Asian continent

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah the ME is the SW corner of the Asian continent

I just assumed Cole was making a joke that I didn't get.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Getting ready to drop my refrad packet and there's gently caress all as far as resources go. I have to ask other guys who did the same for their packets so I can copy it. Can't do this poo poo anymore. Between general job dissatisfaction and the fact that the common areas of in my unit sound like Tucker Carlson broadcasts I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'd just ignore all the ETS class poo poo you're going to have to do on the way out. Especially the parts about translating your resume, it's all useless. Prepare to hear a lot about becoming a truck driver.

The last few months in the Army will seem like an eternity. Worth it though, never been happier.

Lots of ways to leverage your time in the Army into success in the civilian world, especially as an officer. There's Hiring our Heroes fellowships you might be able to do if your commander doesn't mind losing you for the last few months you're in the Army.

I just got accepted to a top 20 MBA with a poo poo GPA and GRE quant score, that Army experience is definitely pulling a lot of weight.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Your commander can sign off on you skipping most of the outprocessing classes you have to do. Mine just required us having a plan (mine was “going to use my gi bill for school” so I didn’t have to do any job fairs)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And if you are getting medically retired at 100%, you can skip all of them with just your commander's signature.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

YMMV but I found the Department of Labor training on how to get a job was fairly useful. How to set up a resume, dress for an interview, apply for jobs.

It's not rocket surgery, but it was more generally useful than most of the classes I've gotten from the Army.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I'm already looking at a masters. I'm in a certificate to masters program right now since I'm trying to get a MS in comp sci but don't have a background in it. I'm just nervous about the general stuff I'll have to deal with when I get out (lack of a steady paycheck, moving, etc.)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ashmole posted:

I'm already looking at a masters. I'm in a certificate to masters program right now since I'm trying to get a MS in comp sci but don't have a background in it. I'm just nervous about the general stuff I'll have to deal with when I get out (lack of a steady paycheck, moving, etc.)

The stuff you won’t have to deal with is worth the stuff you do have to deal with.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 20, 2021

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ashmole posted:

You're eligible for unemployment when you leave the Army. During normal times this is usually 26 weeks of benefits. Depending on the state you're in that could be a decent amount of money, or at least to cover your living expenses anyway.

Washington has been great to me since I left the Army, might be kind of hosed in this regard if you live in a red state.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
My buddy did it in VA while starting his one man contracting business but he said they made he prove he was applying to x number of jobs per week and it wasn’t worth the meager money.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

As an O3 in WA you're in the highest income category and get $790 a week, not factoring in an extra $300 going on for Covid19 right now. For WA it's doing 3 job search related activities a week.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
You're entitled to every dollar the fed will provide for having put up with their bullshit, it's for sure worth the minimum effort

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Did anybody have the following combination of symptoms while in the Army?

1) Know it's bullshit all along and intend to leave as soon as their commitment is up, and simultaneously
2) Try to advance as much as possible and collect as many ribbons and badges and poo poo as possible until time runs out?

Because that's what I was like, but looking back on it that makes no fuckin sense, if I didn't give a gently caress why did I give a gently caress, and if I secretly gave a gently caress why did I bail the second it was legally possible and instantly become infinitely happier?

What was my brain even doing :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Speed/high score run.