Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The left longs to use the US war machine for its own purposes. You nailed it, buddy!
They were just jealous this whole time.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Sinfest Sunday
No, not "soon", 2020's life should be over "now". Actually, it should have been over "two days ago" since this comic is from January 2nd. Come on dude, you have total creative control here, if you're going to do storyline where a year "dies" pace things so that actually happens before the year ends in real life.
It's tricky, though, because you never know when you're going to have to forget about advancing or even really adhering to any sense of a coherent story and just publish five pages of purely visual non-sequiturs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I bet Matt is so loving puzzled and crestfallen about the continuing rampant COVID epidemic in the UK. Why oh why are there so many cases? Who can possibly say whose lack of adherence to what suite of measures might be promoting the spread of the virus? Ah well, time to draw another cartoon griping amiably about restrictions.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Wait, is this saying "if minorities then why not dogs?!"

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

By popular demand posted:

So any Sino-American is not only loyal to the PRC but also a direct avatar for Xi Jinping himself?

Depends if they’ve accepted the Cap or not.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

rydiafan posted:

I wish people could get it through their head that coal only employs like 50,000 people in America.

I think with a few more figures for things like quality adjusted life years we can work this into an exchange rate between coal industries and pandemics.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Randalor posted:

I get the IDEA behind stocks and the stock market, that you're buying a portion of the company, so if the company does good, your portion is worth more and vice versa, and that the stock market is a place or institution that makes buying and selling stocks easy. What I don't understand is why things like "shorting so much that more shares are sold than actually exist" was ever allowed to come about. I mean, if the stock markets can limit or stop trading of stocks... why not limit them before a stock hits "140% sold of available stocks" or whatever the ridiculous percentage was.
The theory is that the people setting up these naked shorts should never have entered into those trades to that extent, because they risked becoming victims of exactly the counter-attack that has happened. According to the ideals of the free market the bones of their hedge fund should stand as a warning to others. The question is whether they'll be allowed to learn their lesson, or get bailed out.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Antigravitas posted:

Having a fractal of borrowers borrowing from other borrowers is hilarious to me. What would happen if everyone in that circlejerk is forced to pull out at the same time? Do they form a queue to unravel all those agreements sequentially?
That circlejerk is a metaphor for the wider economy, where people exchange debts (money) for goods and services. If people lose faith in money the system grinds to a halt.

The same is true in the financial markets. The system depends on everyone having faith that others will follow through on their trades and contracts, which is ostensibly guaranteed by the firms that facilitate the transactions. To extend your metaphor: when it works everyone can focus on giving manual relief to whoever they've promised it to, and know that whoever has promised them manual relief will make good, and that if they don't then a clearing firm will bring them to orgasm instead. While I absolutely think the hedge fund in this case should be allowed to go bust, I think it's legitimate for those who are concerned with the proper functioning of the market to worry about a situation where a firm might fail to honour its contracts to the tune of billions of dollars, not to mention the possibility that thousands of small "investors" following the hype are likely to lose money that matters to them when the whole situation unwinds.

It's easy and fun to paint this as David(s) vs. Goliath, but it looks to me more like we are all demanding that one set of sensible controls (halting trading in a huge bubble) not be enacted because a previous and more important set also weren't enacted. In theory the hedge fund's losses are unlimited, but in practice the worst they can do is go bankrupt and fail to complete their contracts, which means at some point in this process we might reach a point where the losses incurred by ordinary people YOLOing on GME shares that collapse are greater than the losses incurred by the rich. And overall the rich may get richer, if they're betting successfully on GME returning to equilibrium, while those with just enough money to buy a few overpriced shares end up carrying the can.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

The_Other posted:

I always keep in mind an old post on The Hooded Utilitarian about Rall from 2007:

For reference, here's the cartoon with the handicapped student

Sorry I know this is from pages and pages ago, so sorry if it's been done to death, but how did Rall not think to have the "mentally handicapped" dialogue be about actual conservative talking points, instead of school stuff? I mean he failed to put the political analogy into his political analogy cartoon. It would still be a Rall, but if the teacher was saying things like "what's that, you want to 'teach the controversy' on evolution? Ok" it would have been just a tiny little bit less awful.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

I’ve never seen this before and it’s amazing.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Who resurrected Alex Trebek?
Has anyone, at any time, tried to hide the fact that she was killed by a police officer in defence of the lives of Congresspeople and staffers? Did that somehow become a mystery?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Ben Garrison posted:

Reminder the Democrats hate you, your skin color, your children and your ancestors.

Who are you addressing here, Ben? You mean like they hate all races, and that's how you're so confidence that they hate MY race, whatever it may be? Is that what you mean, Ben?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

I dont know posted:

I know a couple months back discord logs from Archwarhammer leaked showing he is a nazi. GW sent him a cease and desist and he had to change his channels name to just arch also a CA staffer publicly called him a dickhead. They really could do more in the games themselves, but policing this poo poo in the community is absolutely overdue and a important first step. It's pretty funny the dickhead's hobby publicly broke up with him.
Haha that's putting it mildly.

This sounds a bit like "they've done everything they can short of making their games not be about the total deterministic power of race over all individual behaviour, intelligence and morality".

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

wizzardstaff posted:

What about treating stay-at-home parenting as labor deserving of a wage?

Environmentally speaking that’s probably worse than coal subsidies.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Scott Morrison in the car, the three Labor state premiers Dan Andrews (Victoria), Mark McGowan (WA), Annastacia Palaszczuk (Queensland).
It's such a shame there wasn't room in the cartoon to include more than these three completely randomly selected state premiers.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I know I'm catching up from many pages ago, but this is just extraordinary.

"My goodness but this Kamala Harris is out of touch. She has no idea how wealthy and patrician we rural folk are!"

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

MechaCrash posted:

All the right wing freaking out about "omg the social media companies can control what you say" thing is especially fun given that there were some "hey maybe we should put a check on the internet turning into like three websites" concerns back when this could've been stopped, but no, free market at work.

As always, right wingers love the invisible hand of the free market right up until it bitchslaps them.
Except that it hasn't bitchslapped them. The whole "social media companies are unfairly silencing the right" is just as bullshit as "LEFT WING MEDIA!" was back in 2003.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Trapezium Dave posted:

Warren Brown:

I personally am terrified that we'll all remain complacent about [vandalism] until it's too late, and then [vandalism] will lead to resource wars and genocide as hundreds of millions flee from regions rendered uninhabitable by [vandalism]. Thank the cosmos that Warren Brown is willing to take a stand against [vandalism].

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Post poste posted:

Because they're seen as going "up" the social order, while use trans femmes go "down" it.
For people like Garrison I think it's more that if they're not careful a trans woman might trick them into Gay.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
If there's a better way to present an editorial cartoon than as a cyclically zooming snippet of video with a noisy background hum, I've never encountered it.

Biden bears the burden of his opponents' lies with grace, patience and comprehensive, thoughtful replies. AGC.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 31, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

VitalSigns posted:

Like he can't even decide if cops are good or bad. The violent woke mob is calling cops slurs which are just as bad as the n-word and chasing and beating cops for no reason, but also the cops are rounding up patriots on false charges and torturing 2021's dad and 2021 is really righteous and awesomely beating up cops but also the cops were abolished and they all went to work for evil corporations and now they really are bad (??????) :confused:
I know sinfest well enough to know that what I’m about to say almost certainly doesn’t apply, but: if all I knew about it was this paragraph I’d think it’s potentially a very good comic exploring our inability to see each other’s perspectives.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

What does this actually mean?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Somfin posted:

Would you abort a fetus in a ten picolitre hat?

Depends how many cars I’ve downloaded that day

Dirk the Average posted:

I mean, the parent starts with the Dursleys, who are at most a very banal familial evil. The next step is Scrooge, who is a much more destructive force of greed. Finally we have Palpatine who is a literal galactic emperor that commits mass genocide and firmly establishes fascist principles. The parent is pretty clearly off their rocker here, and intentionally makes more an more spurious arguments as the comic moves on.

It's not the most well constructed comic that he's put out (and arguably one of the worse ones), but I think it's fairly clear that the parent is not who the author agrees with.

I read it as a slice of the human mind about the ethical landscape that extends outward from each of us. As we grow older we gain some increased ethical and moral understanding of the world, but we also go through an iterative process of crushing our own moral dissonance by changing our sense of what is right and privileging the motives and decisions of those most like us. The banker convinces themselves that mortgages are a valuable service, the landlord that property ownership is a question of hard work. Like the old “if you’re not a conservative by 30...” mantra, what it’s really about is the human need to feel like a good person in a world where they do bad things. The child is blessed with a clear moral sense that is only possible because they don’t yet know they live in a world where lizards eat the fetuses out of live deer. The adult is cursed with a history of moral ambiguity and compromise whose sole virtue is being world-tested.

In short it’s a depiction of a real phenomenon, not an advertisement for it.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 6, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

HootTheOwl posted:

How did you get the diodes in the womb?
I'm not sure whether or not you're making a joke about the fact that this looks more like an ECG than a fetal heart rate trace, but if you're not:

A fetal heart rate monitor (usually part of a Cardiotocograph or "CTG") uses a doppler ultrasound transducer on the outside of the abdomen to pick up the fetal heart beat. The CTG measures the interbeat interval to determine the fetal heart rate, and plots it against uterine contractions (using a stretch transducer also strapped to the patient's abdomen) and also sometimes the maternal heart rate (from an ecg electrode). It's used to assess the baby's wellbeing minute by minute, especially in labour but also where there is any question about the baby's wellbeing in the later stages of pregnancy.

Where there is difficulty picking up the heart rate during labour the fetal heart rate pickup may somtimes be switched from external doppler to an electrode that is connected directly to the baby's scalp via the cervix. This is generally referred to as a "clip on baby's scalp" but is actually a small wire screw that is inserted into the scalp.

The word "Thank You" should be obscured by one or two other waveforms that are only partially correlated with the fetal heart rate, all of which should be functions (in the sense of having only one y value for each x). Gary Varvel is a twat.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

HootTheOwl posted:

Nothing. That's what you don't seem to understand.
Look, ask any business leader or economist and they'll tell you straight up, the last thing any entity can ever afford to do is borrow 1x its annual income at historically low interest rates to build key infrastructure.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Raised By Birds posted:

Marshall Ramsey

:S face on Pentagon there.

They would make for a very small crowd in the centre of a very large circle of dead Iraqis. Even just dead Iraqi children, standing silently, staring inward at them. How could Bush curse those brave Americans to such a haunting afterlife?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

wizzardstaff posted:

"I want zero covid", rallying cry of the sick and deranged
See COVID is like a deranged serial killer, the best thing to do is let him partway into your house.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Batter my heart, three person'd Paul Thomas, for you as yet but knock, breathe, shine and seek to mend with these insipid cartoons.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I never get tired of the way they talk about Biden's approval rating having plummeted to just around the all-time peak of Trump's approval ratings. Absolute "must be why we beat 'em at football nearly half the time!" energy.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
The stupid libs have hosed up so badly by trying to force medical professionals to take Fauci's experimental vaccine that now their only choice is to hire any self-described doctor (in this case a witch doctor) who walks through the door. It's basically a documentary.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Hihohe posted:

Because as we all know, big pigs are something you dont want. When it comes to livestock you want the smallest pigs
In this analogy though the pigs aren't livestock, they're infrastructure, and any farmer will tell you the last thing a farm needs is any form of infrastructure.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Yes, Spooner, that's where all the variants come from , it's mean old Fauci. And he must have purposefully sat on a lot of the variants for months, cackling and rubbing his hands and waiting to release them. What a monster.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I think Garland could be slightly more polite about calming the fears of a mother who, like many people, misunderstands that product of past abuses that is sitting with her daughter.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Pants Donkey posted:

Geez is this a theme this year?

If you know that, then maybe tell him to not murder and enslave those indigenous peoples?

Also lol if you think Columbus discovered the world is round. Really exposing your history education there.

I kind of find this one MORE objectionable than the Ramirez in its willful ignorance and spitefulness. This one is saying "Columbus was good and I'm sad because he'd have been sad to know that in the future THE LIBS will take away his righteous achievements!!!", whereas an undeservedly charitable reading of the Ramirez one (by someone who feels no need to examine a single other cartoon of his) might be "The Spanish invasion of the Americas looks one-sided in hindsight, but there were legitimate imperial cultures already in the Americas that exercised power over others in both good and bad ways".

In our rush to reveal Columbus et al. as murderers and thieves we throw the curtain over the majesty and power of the civilisations they destroyed (perhaps because there's a connection from there to the idea that the invaders' crimes were also often very impressive achievements in the field of human evil). The societies that were swept away weren't weak or innocent. The people who ran them (whether administrators, generals, priest castes, whoever) were exercising power over enormous numbers of people, often millions, or even tens or hundreds of millions. India was a strong contender for the richest and most powerful society in the world when the cascade of failures and accidents began that ended with it enslaved by European powers. Europeans didn't go there initially as dominant powers projecting their force, they went there to buy the amazing goods that were unparalleled in Europe.

I don't think the Ramirez deserves a particularly charitable reading, he was probably thinking "this will finally make THE LIBS realise that the Spanish righteously liberated the Americas from ignorance and darkness", but his cartoon at least has more to it than "I can't believe they're not going to recognise you, Columbus :( :( :("

Edit - also from the other cartoons people posted Ramirez clearly loves him some elaborate priestwear.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 12, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Vib Rib posted:

The problem is probably that these people use "the cultures we genocided weren't innocent" the same way they use "this unarmed black man the cops shot 40 times was no angel".
I think we can safely say we don't gotta hand it to Ramirez.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Svaha posted:

That William f Buckley quote is the OG self own. A timeless classic.

I've always pictured it as the archetypal Conservative confidently standing athwart train tracks, his back rigid, his purpose pure of questioning, arm outstretched in front of him to deny the progress of the 100,000 ton train of history barrelling towards him.

After they've hosed away the human jam residue, the next archetypal Conservative strides confidently forth to straddle the tracks of history.

This process continues for thousands of years and no one ever learns anything or questions this pointless waste of archetypal Conservatives. They could still join productive society as draft excluders or doorstops, you monsters.
Pretty much this, except they bolster their stance with piles of the downtrodden and vulnerable, hoping each time that a larger sacrifice will finally stop the train.

Oh and also they're not actually trying to stop the train, they're just trying to redirect it onto the local cattle baron's siding so he can loot it.

Raised By Birds posted:

Going to go see a FOOTBALL GAME at FOOTBALL STADIUM.
Not a TEAM fan, huh? Personally I think we're gonna go all the way this year.

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 14, 2021

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wilcox:

There are two state anti-corruption commissions running in the news at the moment: the investigation into branch stacking in Victorian Labor, and into the former NSW premier giving grants to her secret boyfriend. The cartoon is wrong about the federal level, Morrison doesn't want either model (both have way too much teeth).

It's ridiculous to compare branch stacking with government influence peddling. Political parties have no fundamental place in the political system, they're just a very enduring and resilient part of the meta. If a political party declines to be internally democratic that's its business. Anyone can nominate as a candidate, with or without a party.

The probity of MPs and ministers in the execution of their duties, however, is absolutely fundamental to good government, and needs to be enforced as strictly as possible.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Pants Donkey posted:

Not sure if this is a genuine heel-turn for Ishida or if this will be a giant nothing when he loses interest in a week or two
Honestly now are you really not sure?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
These people really believe they're in the middle of an epic winning streak against the deep state, don't they?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Wipfmetz posted:

Fuel prices _are_ high. I just refueled yesterday at 1.53€ per litre of diesel, and it has been that expensive for a few weeks now.

What's their stance on how this is Biden's fault, though?
He pulled the gas price lever. You're supposed to push it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Many such cases!