Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Thanks for getting this going, PD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Ramirez doesn't like Trump and the CHUDs (please do not make that into an animated series) damaging his version of the Republican brand. He just wants to go back to the golden years of oil baron families and corporate ghouls dogwhistling and leaning on cultural wedge issues, while claiming to be the adults in the room.

EDIT - The irony being that he's more responsible than most for this, with the IBD threading the needle between Big Brain Business Guys and the "Commies under the bed" paranoid crowd.

After The War fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 9, 2021

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Moon Slayer posted:

On the other hand, now I want to see "and then they suddenly and inexplicably all turned into babies, the end" become A Thing in media. Penultimate episode of Game of Thrones? She hears the city bells and then ... everyone's a baby, even the dragon. Especially the dragon. Rise of Skywalker? Two minutes in, everyone's a baby, roll credits. I don't preciously remember how The Great Gatsby ended but I'm pretty sure that the final chapter would be improved if suddenly everyone turned into a baby.

An early episode of reboot Doctor Who did this to get out of a moral quandry, and it was a loving cop-out then, too! :mad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Sure is great seeing all the shitheads who lost their minds about kneeling defending the sanctity of "free speech."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

rydiafan posted:

As I Wisconsin resident I feel the need to defend the badger's honor, and point out that that is a gopher or something based on the buck teeth.

Goucher is local to me - their mascot is indeed a gopher.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
At least he can lay out a goddamn panel, unlike his replacement with his tiny characters in impossiblely tall rooms. Does Paul Thomas have a ceiling fetish or something?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Good to know that, 80 years after his anti-"America First" cartoons, the Nazis are apologizing to Dr. Seuss.

Oh, that's not what that means? Well, poo poo.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

bartok posted:

Jesus Christ! At least give the guy who created everyone's favorite wife-beating drunk, Andy Capp, some credit.

EDIT - I'm a dumb who thought Al Capp created Andy Capp

After The War fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 22, 2021

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Okay, I'll bite - what the gently caress it "we'll protect your rapist" about? Because I work for PP (local affiliate, not the national org) and we have hardcore training about mandatory reporting, even for Admin Shlubs like me who never deal with patients. They basically say that failure to follow reporting policy is instant termination.

Is this another thing where one employee hosed up and these shitsmears act like it's standard practice?

Also, that version of the logo hasn't been used for years! :rant:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tibalt posted:

It's probably a reference to a doctored video from 2011 where a woman who claimed to be an underage victim of sex trafficking inquiries about obtaining an abortion. IIRC Planned Parenthood reached out to the AG about the supposed trafficking ring.

There was also a 2008 video where a woman claimed to be 13 and pregnant with a 31 year old partner, I believe the accusation was that the statutory rape wasn't reported.

Yes, I think the 2008 video is the most likely source, although everything everyone else has contributed has been helpful, too - thanks! Weirdly, I haven't seen any "anti"s spouting this one, and I've been lucky enough to open the hate mail.

I still have to go in once a week and one of the advantages of being there by myself is that I can listen to whatever I want. Hearing Timbah.On.Toast talk about James O'Keefe's Planned Parenthood stings inside a Planned Parenthood facility felt... very strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8buQLy1dWD8

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Johnny Walker posted:

Is a college alumni association a "charity" really?

It sure is in the eyes of the IRS! But, oh no, how could they have forgotten to subtract their sweet, sweet tax deduction ($40,000) from the "Tax" calculation? :ohdear:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Dr. VooDoo posted:

“These people believe your a Jewish satanist who eats children’s brains after torturing them and that you stole the election with the help of aching. Why won’t you meet them half way in these issues to bring the country together?” :qq:

"The Help of Aching" sounds like a great postpunk comp.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Raised By Birds posted:

I'm reading it as the "impeaching Trump after he left office" line that was common on the right during the Senate trial.

And thus the violent rhetoric leading up to that was just the normal "cheerleading," that politicians do (and are expected to do), so what's the Democrats' deal, anyway?

Just when we're questioning the meaning of "gaslighting," the master comes along with a demonstration: Dems sure are crazy for thinking that any of the normal stuff said and done on January 6 was bad or unusual!

EDIT - Violent cheers are a Boomer cultural staple, but I don't know where to begin researching the cheers themselves rather than the history of cheerleading in general. Since I don't have any actual examples, have the break from a Dead Kennedys song instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1anNwvw808&t=117s

After The War fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 9, 2021

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've seen a few people cite On Beyond Zebra (maybe including Bill Watterson?) as an influence, but that's it.

Seems like a cool book (don't think I had it as a kid), pity about the... y'know.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Ishida has this thing about drawing characters from a different angle in every panel, like a constantly-spinning movie camera. It makes it really hard to figure out where anything is placed within a scene, and my eyes tend to slide right off it, probably to keep me from getting dizzy.

Not the most egregious example, but it's a recent one and I'm sure as hell not digging through his archives.

EDIT - Went digging anyway, and now I'm both angry and nauseous. He never draws anything from the same angle across two consecutive panels - it's like someone told him that visual continuity is for squares, and sweet gently caress do I hate it.

After The War fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 15, 2021

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jurgan posted:

Are we sure these are two different people and not just a pseudonym Tinsley used to wait for the heat to die down?

Fishman puts in waaaay too much work to be secret Tinsley. Drawing characters multiple times? Backgrounds? Panels? We knew Tinsley was back the moment we started seeing poorly-sketched floating heads next to huge word balloons again*.

* The Internet

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Already hitting the "mipission accomplished banner" moment for this administration, eh?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

616 is the real number of the beast anyway

I'll believe it when Bruce Dickinson starts singing it that way. :colbert:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mikl posted:

I mean, forget Covid for a moment. There are several countries, dozens of them even, who refuse to let you in if you aren't vaccinated for some disease (yellow fever excess melanin is a typical one).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
See, THIS poo poo is why Bors's post-apocalyptic poo poo never bothers me, and Mad Max just feels like the default future.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Selachian posted:

And now, another dump of 1946 political cartoons by Joe Parrish and Carey Orr, just because.

Thank you for this! I was just reading about the 1946 Hollywood Union Fight Red Scare last night, so this is great timing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Still fits with the design sensibility of most of the US cartoonists posted here.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Man, it's hard to see those forehead creases as anything other than swastikas, but it's the Mail, so maybe they're doing that as a "good thing?" :shrug:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
...when they, themselves, are made of "Most Willfully Dense" awards?!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sorry I just still can't get over this. I can only imagine Ishida would run in there screaming "NO YOU'RE NOT!" Like that's the message here, yeah? Just poo poo on people for being who they are?

It's one of the basic underpinnings of conservative thought, so... yes? Everything went downhill when they stopped teaching Great Man theory, sure anyone can bootstrap themselves and rise up through our economic freedom system, but most people are too lazy, and shouldn't be encouraged, no it's perfectly consistent I tells ya

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

D.N. Nation posted:

You're supposed to draw them as children, Todd

He's just ripping off some legit punks, as usual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8O2ToQ_Dok

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Suggested Kelly Kategory: "Least Contemporary Pop Culture Reference"

(Although Garrison's Hogan's Heroes one is still the reigning "refuse to acknowledge the passage of time" champion this year. That was this year, right? Oh god, it's happening to meeeeeeeeee...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Stultus Maximus posted:

Boy this thing I completely fabricated sure makes my opponents look bad!

The standard music theory curriculum in the US and Canada does have some pretty direct ties to white supremacy, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It's weird as hell to see such rear end in a top hat opinions attached to Actual Effort Artwork. It was the Tribune, probably the most widely-read conservative outlet in the country at the time. Couldn't he have just turned in a fecal smear every day, labelled it "Harry S. Poo-Man," and hosed off to the track or wherever white rear end in a top hat spent time in 1946?

The past is a different, country indeed. Branco, Lester, McCoy, Gorrell, and Bok just don't know how incredibly lucky they've got it.

EDIT - It's literally just:

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 25, 2021

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Intoluene posted:

That has to be toeing the line to outright libel.

Not libel if it's true. "Reports" are saying it! Reports! Can't get no more factual than that!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Zesty posted:

Not his best.

Counterpoint: "* ???"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I have to admit, I'm still baffled by them pulling out suicide statistics at all. Like... what is it supposed to prove other than transphobes being utter monsters? Is it some kind of "and then they they had the NERVE to bleed to death on MY carpet after I repeatedly stabbed them" thing?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I think the sticking point for me is the nature of the claim. It's like the politoons that, if you don't already know the artist's leanings, come across as the exact opposite of the intended point. It's just incomprehensible to me that "suicide rates are higher among queer folks," isn't universally processed as "this is caused by individual and systemic bigotry." "Queerness itself causes suicides," seems like a total non sequitur, but it's taken as a given. Does this come from a "queerness is mental illness, mental illness causes suicide" thought process?

That's not even getting into how that's supposed to mesh with the exact same fuckers going "trans women are just straight men actively trying to gain access to women's spaces," but that's pretty basic :umberto: poo poo.

Anyway, thanks for humoring me. It just feels like a self-defeating form of concern trolling outside the intended audience.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

An insane mind posted:

Lol it just doesn't click with them that capitalistic positive tendencies (individualism selfishness and greed) don't deliver people who are chomping at the bit to teach others life's kills while getting paid abysmally.

That may be an autocorrect, but goddamn is it an appropriate term for these ghouls' philosophy.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Twelve by Pies posted:

I was trying to draw a parallel between misogyny in STEM and the right wing idea that CRT says "White people are inherently evil" but the problem I kept running into trying to make sense of it is that STEM is a neutral thing and even to broken right wing brains, racism is bad (they just think that it's the Dems that are the Real Racists). So any attempt to say something like "STEM is ruined because women complained about it" would mean that logically "to do the same to racism" would have to be "Racism is ruined because black people complained about it" which doesn't make sense.

So yeah you know what, gently caress it. I think this is a category so...

Kellies nomination: most incomprehensible

I think this is just a late entry into the "libs ruined math with EQUITY!!!" thing from 8,000 years ago. Or maybe it was last week?

I should probably stop measuring time in right-wing scandals I find out about through the thread.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vib Rib posted:

I love seeing the right imagine the left, because they are invariably motivated by the same exact things as they are.

Except with ear piercings, apparently.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

This makes a lot less sense when you actually think about what was going in 2004. The cicadas came from the era of Freedom Fries, the PATRIOT Act, Abu Ghraib, and "Let the Eagle Soar", so I think the present is pretty much what they'd have pictured.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Ah, the Politoon Thread, where references from the early 90s feel fresh and contemporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

World Famous W posted:

I too make all my political arguments by invoking ghosts

If we count White Boomer Representations of the Founding Fathers and MLK, that's most of the US cartoonists in this thread.