Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Chris Evans coming back to the MCU to be in Deadpool 3 in WWII to swear and be kicked in the balls by Wade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Now that streaming is the future I think Marvel should adapt a 50 episode, 2:30 hours each, series of Jonathan Hickman’s FF -> Avengers -> Secret War run

That would be the most awesome thing they could possibly do.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hype hype hype! Godzilla vs Kong!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

thrawn527 posted:

I never saw KotM after hearing all the negative word about it. Was it really that bad?

I liked it, I think it's solid monster mash movie but it was a dramatic shift in tone from Godzilla 2014 with none of the gravity and sort of awe inspiring scale and scope that I don't think most people expected and it isn't as good as Kong Skull Island which it brorrows the action feel from so I think it fell below expectations. It also lacked a kind of polish in story, imo, and it's on the human side of the story. It's also very busy with moving the plot/locations around and introducing classic Godzilla concepts at you.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Well...I guess Willem Dafoe will be stepping up

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

That sure was something.

Alec Guinness was right

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

This owns.

I dunno, I don’t think illiteracy and proud ignorance is good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Robot Style posted:

They actually deleted a scene from The Wolverine where he received it, so its at least something that they were considering.

I want some costume like that...on Hugh Jackman...but with the fabulousness as if he's doing musical theater.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JFC dude...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

The main takeaway from WandaVision is that Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are incredibly charming together, have great chemistry and comedic timing and were criminally underused and mishandled in the MCU proper.

Yeah. Outside of the leads the whole thing is lame and I didn’t feel the need to watch it all

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
JJ Abrams? Like does no one in Hollywood learn their lesson? I declare it a turd dead on arrival. Like this whole process is going to be zapping a zombie to life. Ugh. The man cannot hack it in any capacity.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I'm guessing this is Dr. Strange.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hated Trek 09, didn't like Into Darkness, found Beyond to be not necessary. JJ Abrams is a terrible and limited director, in vision, in skill, what he brings to the table, and has one speed for his movies. I look forward to frantic camera action as Superman runs really hard from left to right and then right to left on the screen to indicate heightened tension and sense of urgency and as is with everything he touches, disappointment.

But he's not directing I guess. God I hope whoever that director is manages to save the movie from him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

live with fruit posted:

Abrams didn't direct Beyond, and it is actually pretty fun.

Yeah that was Justin Lin.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Justin Lin directing Superman would be cool.

Yes, I think it would be a better situation indeed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

live with fruit posted:

Now I think he has to do it (though really a black director has to do it).

I am tempted to put out Tyler Perry as a name.

I would say give it to Boots Riley but I feel like a studio wouldn't let him express fully a vision.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Somebody explain it to me because I am dumb and I do not get it. My friend is laughing at me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would really like to see Michael Jai White do one of these here superhero movies

I love Michael Jai White and wouldn't mind it either, even in Spawn he had that raw anger that came through like it would defy hell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

They could’ve done cool things with them. But everyone hated Zack Snyder’s take so now we will get quip gods written by JJ Abrams

But at least we will get a movie where the heroes and villains run the gently caress hard on screen while lens flares burst because JJ knows only 1 way to create tension and is limited. I hope they get Tom Cruise to map Darksied’s run hard as gently caress.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

Know what else you could do?

Just make it available to people who have a subscription

And miss out on even more money???!!!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It looks ok. Solid at least. I like King Shark and John Cena.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Who is the antagonist of the film? (Other than maybe Waller?)

I got nothing from the trailer other than "look at these characters!"

Genuinely curious what the actual mission even is because the trailer sure as gently caress didn't inform me what the characters are trying to do.

It appears to be Starro but perhaps the real antagonists are the protagonists themselves and Waller

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think Boomerang is gonna look like he's dead but then show up at the end, alive.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chairman Capone posted:

It had a strong writers' room for sure, with it being the first show for a lot of writers who went on to do bigger things (Jane Espenson, Drew Goddard, Steven DeKnight).

Yeah, like on Angel, Tim Minear and co (Ben Edlund of Tick fame) outshone Buffy. That whole group was stronger than Whedon.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I mean...ok? Doesn’t do much for me. And Mark Millar is not a selling point to me lol.

I think I’m kind of tired of cape poo poo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like there's a Good Mark Millar and a Bad Mark Millar but even Good Mark Millar's stuff is like... B+ at best and comprises at most 1/3 of his work so it's maybe not worth sifting through Bad Mark Millar.

The good Mark Millar is probably when he steals ideas from Grant Morrison

So really it’s just bad Mark Millar

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I demand Maximum Carnage

But will settle for all actors going absolute HAM

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In 2035 I will imagine through nostalgia Gen Z will make...

300: 420 LOL

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

Having also not read an x-men comic since the 90's, this seems really familiar. Almost like there was a prominent mutant villain fighting for the same thing...

I highly recommend at least the kick off Powers of X and House of X collection that kicks it off by Hickman and Pepe Larazz. It’s very good in its reimagining of the XMen.

In essence it starts with Moira Mctaggart being a mutant and reliving her life multiple times and each time choosing a new path. She encounters Destiny who can tell what she is and gives her an omen then kills her. However after many lives and paths it all leads to one common conclusion. The mutant race is killed or dies, either through various forms of evolution or technology and whatnot. No matter what Moira does to shape events in her lifetimes, including one where she basically has Apocalypse rule all. In her last life she decides to go for broke and helps Xavier and Magneto bring the entire mutant civilization together to give them one more shot at survival. And this sets up the modern XMen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I do admit it would have been cool to see Chadwick play opposite of Namor if the two countries duked it out. Even better if we get an introduction to Doom as the villain behind the scheme. Just a bunch of kings messing around.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I kind of like Loki somewhat but it’s more saved by Owen Wilson interacting with Tom Hiddleston and just barely being cool about the TVA concept. Nobody seems to be talking much about it because welp the MCU is kinda lame overall.

It’s a better attempt at TV than other stuff thus far

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dr. Strange: “I have seen 14 million alternate timelines where we lose…except 1.”
TVA: “Uh boss, these Avengers survived…do…do we prune?”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

So assuming the ending of Black Widow along with the ending of F&WS is setting up Dark Avengers, who would the other ones be? For Iron Man I guess they could bring back Jeff Bridges as Iron Monger, and Abomination was in the Shang-chi trailer so he could be Hulk, but there's not really anyone for Thor or Hawkeye(unless they're introduced in Thor 4 and the Hawkeye TV show).

They're probably going to make some introductions and pull from the multiverse.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm going to suspect that after watching Loki that while Kang is going to feature as a villain and even have his variants die in various Marvel Movies, that they're leading up to a semblance of Hickman's "Everything Dies" into Secret Wars storyline for a climax. If the FF also introduce Franklin Richards and Doctor Doom, then it's a lock.

I would love that. It's the best grand storyline I've read in Marvel.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I liked it but the best parts are just Eddie and Venom and regular life poo poo they get into versus super hero poo poo

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Suicide Squad 2 was a decent movie with some good sequences and shots and a great cast. I liked the main villain of the film. It's kind of blah overall, doesn't hit supremely high notes. Cena is good in it. I like Elba. It's kind of also all over the place at times.

Rating B. I mean it's there.

Also Shazam and DC trying to be Marvel sucks. Snyderverse rules, release the Ayer cut, etc. etc.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ok I’m curious, I saw this via streaming…now I’m wondering if my opinion would be different in a theater

Would it have affected my experience

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So my question is why did James Gunn decide to go full mean spirit and villainize Starro when in a lot of ways it was a victim. It was raped by the spikey head big brain guy, imprisoned and experimented on for 30 years, tortured, and said something at the end that it was content and happy just to float in space and see the stars. Like, it's bound to be scared and angry when it got out and strike back at it's captors, humanity, why not communicate with it and say you'll find a way to get it back into space. Like the climax of the film could have been rescuing Starro, going AWOL from Waller, and fighting the small country military with the aid of the rebels all across the island to get Starro to some kind of rocket and back out into space. It could have been kind of heart warming. You could still have some body horror kind of jokes up to that point. You could still have the conflicts between Peacemaker, Flag, and Bloodsport and everyone else along with trying to release the info to the public. The way it is, this was just mean spirited and feels like it wasn't fully thought all the way through.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I think the line about floating and seeing the stars is not a flat statement of starro's only motivation for its actions as a twist, I think it's a dying admittance of something it had not realized until that dying moment that revenge and domination was not a good idea after all.

This makes sense. Thanks!

I did see Slither, haven’t seen Super, did see Psycho Goreman. I think I just read it sympathetically and kind thought it’d be cooler if…so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know how PG got lumped in there, Gunn didn’t have anything to do with it.

SLiTHER and Super are two hilarious, deranged, mean as hell flicks that I love so much.

Lol I’m at a beer fest and my mind went to it some kind of association. I need to see Super some times