Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AGDQ 2021 Online is over! A huge thank you to everyone who participated in raising over 2.75 million dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation!

Somehow it's 2021 already, and you know what happens at the start of the year. Indeed, it's time for Awesome Games Done Quick 2021—and just like SGDQ 2020, it'll be an online marathon. Which really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, honestly. As usual, the event will be benefiting the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and we'll most definitely be breaking a total of 30 million dollars raised in total across all GDQ events this time.

So strap yourselves in for an event running from January 3rd to 10th, a week packed to the brim with all the high-level videogaming content you've come to know and love.

==========

What that content is you can, of course, find on the schedule, which, of course, will adjust itself to whatever time zone you happen to exist in. Plan your week around it. Plan your life around it. Well, actually don't. Make sure to actually get sleep too.

You can watch the marathon at the GDQ main site, or on Twitch. The main site is usually preferable if you're going to watch through a browser.

But even better than watching through a browser is watching it in your media player of choice, by using Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI! They're easy to install and use. Make sure you're using the latest versions of both—changes in Twitch have made old versions no longer function properly.

Regardless of your choice of watching method, let's be fair, you're not gonna be able to catch everything you want to watch live. For that reason, recordings of all runs will end up on the GDQ Youtube channel, and you'll be able to find a very nice list on the excellent site GDQ VODs, hosted by fellow goon Steve Holt!.

For what you do watch live, you do want to talk about it with other people while it's going on. You don't want to do that in Twitch chat, so instead come to IRC and/or Discord, in the following channels:

GDQ IRC: #sdamarathon at irc.quakenet.org (technically no longer GDQ official. Mostly taken over by myself and anton and made into the Speedrunning marathon channel on Quakenet.)
Direct linkQuakenet Webchat
GDQ Discord

Goon IRC: #speedruns at irc.synirc.net
Direct linksynirc Webchat
Goon speedrunning DiscordSpeedfriends Shitposting

==========

If you're new to this whole Games Done Quick thing, even though it's actually been around for more than a decade now, here's a very short history lesson.

Games Done Quick started in 2010 with the first marathon, Classic Games Done Quick, hosted from Mike Uyama's mother's basement. Since then, it has grown immensely and hosts not only two big Games Done Quick marathons annually, but also other shorter marathons like Frame Fatales, one-offs for current events, most recently a Corona Relief Done Quick back in April 2020, and lots of other speedrunning content happening every week on their Twitch channel.

Currently, the two main Games Done Quick events are the biggest fundraisers for the charities they benefit. AGDQ 2014 was the first GDQ marathon that raised over one million dollars, while SGDQ 2019 was the marathon that both was the first to break three million, and the event during which GDQ hit a total of over twenty million dollars raised across all their events. Right now, the lifetime GDQ total is a very respectable $28,593,036.78—so we're absolutely gonna see the thirty million this time around!

All of the money raised during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. No cut is taken by any of the staff or participants, all attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses. It is true that some organizers get paid for it, but not through any cut of the donations—the truth is simply that putting on GDQ is more of less a full-time job for many of the core staff, so some of them are employed by the charity to make sure the marathon can even happen.

The staff always try to make sure that the quality of the stream is as good as it can be. Mistakes can always happen with all the tech involved, especially for an online marathon. Delays and unforseen problem are not unlikely to occur. Please be patient when this happens, it's definitely even more frustrating for the runners and staff than it is for you as a viewer!

==========

"But Kenny," you might say, "I also want to partake in hitting the thirty million mark! How do I do that?"

Why, it's exceedingly simple, and starts by visiting the Games Done Quick donation tracker, more specifically the AGDQ 2021 Online tracker. There you can find the AGDQ 2021 Online donation page. There, you will be able to make your donation, learn what raffle prizes you'll become eligible for, choose what incentive you might want to put your donation towards and leave a comment. If your comment is especially good and relevant, it might get read out on stream, but there's so many donations these days that you can't count on it happening.

Incentives are things where you can make your money go towards different bids and such, which includes naming characters in certain games, picking characters or routes or difficutlies or such in games, playing extra levels, sometimes even adding entire games to the schedule... the list of them is long and can be found, of course, on the tracker, specifically the bid index. There'll be content there eventually, I promise.

Prizes are exactly what they sound like! Donations will, if you donate at least the minimum amount specified during the period a prize is available, enter you in the drawing for it, which will occur after the marathon is all over. Buy-ins are primarly in the range of $5-$25, with a small number reaching $30 or $35. There's also two grand prizes to be had that requires you to donate at least 200 dollars, but that's cumulative during the whole marathon. Every prize, big and small, can be found in the prize index.

If you're too lazy to click that, here's a peek at some stuff you can find yourself with, with a little luck!

Blue boy!

Soft boy!

Cool girl!

Wet boy!

Red boy book!

Drink boys!

Hero boy!

Non-gendered blobs!

Split boy! Or girl!

...key... boy?

Now, if you want to make sure you acquire stuff while still helping the charity, you've got options! You can grab yourself a shirt or eight (and some other trinkets) from The Yetee's AGDQ collection, or pick up something from Fangamer's GDQ selection. With both of these, a portion of the sale price of each item will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation.

==========

No longer really frequently asked questions but they're still here:

Q: What runs should I watch?
A: This question has no answer. Read the schedule. Find games that you're interested in, or that you think will be interesting. Thread should hopefully have some recommendations over the course of the marathon. Awful Games block is always a solid watch, though.

Q: Will ____ be featured?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past—it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. GDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible... not that that applies as much to this particular marathon.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: Everywhere. Because it's online.

==========

So that's what it's all about! Now, just make sure you remember what this thread is all about—talking about playing video games fast for charity. Please, do not use this thread to bring up drama about marathons, or speedrunning, or things that happened in the past. This thread is for talking about the speedruns and all the good they can do. So above all, please be respectful to all the runners, commentators, announcers, and organizers who work hard to bring this event to you even in these times.

I will, for once, make a very specific request this time given how recently things happened—do not bring up Apollo Legend in this thread. At all. This is not the place for that.

Should you have any other questions about the event, the organization, or Games Done Quick in general—just ask away! There's a number of goon directly involved with the event, both staff, runners, and connentators, and many more involved with speedrunning outside of GDQ. There's many of us who could answer any questions you might have, be it in the thread or any of the previously linked chat channels. Also don't forget about the speedrunning thread!

So let's enjoy another marathon together!

==========

Past marathon threads
AGDQ 2012 | AGDQ 2013 | SGDQ 2013 | AGDQ 2014 | SGDQ 2014 | ESA 2014 | AGDQ 2015 | ESA 2015 | SGDQ 2015 | AGDQ 2016 | SGDQ 2016 | ESA 2016 | AGDQ 2017 (Chat) | SGDQ 2017 (Chat) | ESA 2017 | HRDQ | AGDQ 2018 (Chat) | SGDQ 2018 (Chat) | ESA 2018 (Chat) | GDQx 2018 (Chat) | AGDQ 2019 (Chat) | ESAW 2019 | SGDQ 2019 | ESA 2019 | GDQx 2019 | AGDQ 2020 | ESAW 2020 & FF 2020 | CRDQ | SGDQ 2020

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Recommended runs:
Donkey Kong Country No Major Skips race by Eazinn and DadLovesBeer
Just Cause 3 Sky Fortress DLC by pmcTRILOGY
Dragon Age: Origins any% by Lemuura
Ori and the Will of the Wisps Main Quest Order race by Hetfield90 and Skarfelt
Diddy Kong Racing 100% by Obiyo
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots The Boss Extreme by Jaguar King
Otogi: Myth of Demons any% by Ameiii
Startropics any% by BugDoctor
Sonic 1 (2013) Tails any% by flying fox
Sonic Mania Sonic & Tails Good Ending by Argick
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic any% by Cropax
Diablo III any% NG co-op by meatr0o, Heckson, and Whisperra
Wild Arms any% no ACE by cha0sRTA
Dracula II: Noroi no Fuuin any% All Mansions by Sathdresh
River City Girls Kyoko All Bosses by BahamutX_
River City Ransom Novice race by yelsraek and willbobsled
Mega Man One Hit KO/Buster Only by coolkid
Mega Man 11 any& no OoB by Amad
Braid Six Stars by KanBan85
Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment NG+ by MooMooAkai
Hades 3 Weapons by Vorime
Left 4 Dead 2 Main Campaigns Solo by WaifuRuns
Silent Hill 3 Extra New Game by Punchy
Haunting Ground A Ending NG+ by Ecdycis
Pien any% by Swordfish4649
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour any% by Bluekandy
Golden Sun any% no save & quit by Plexa
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions any% by Jaxler
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 100% by Calco2
Epic Dumpster Bear 2: He Who Bears Wins any% race by Linkums and KowalLazy
Alcatraz: Prison Escape MAXIMUM SECURITY by tbcr
Mr. Bones All Cutscenes by Lizstar
Sammy Suricate in Lion Land All Levels by rythin
Half-Life WON Scriptless by Muty
TimeSplitters 2 Hard Story by EmosewaMC
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes All Dog Tags (Extreme) by Tyler2022
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Night Elf Campaign by CovertMuffin
Super Mario 64 16 Stars Blindfolded by Bubzia
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life any% by Froob
Muchi-Muchi Pork! 1.01 Harahara by Aquas
Celeste C-Sides with Dance Pad by PeekingBoo
The Messenger Linear no OoB by vlacksr
Beat Saber Expert+ Showcase by Kungfufruitcup
Super Orb Bros 100% by mitchflowerpower

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 11, 2021

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

gently caress yeah, lets go. Still missing the folks onsite. Will see you all again in 2022 probably maybe.

Schedule is strong as hell. Don't miss the pre-show.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Had to update both Streamlink and Streamlink Twitch GUI so better get that out of the way quickly.

Although at SGDQ 2020 I watched via Twitch quite a lot due to online component and the sub-only chat making the chat not scroll ahead a thousand lines per second (and people were behaving pretty well). But if you want to put the stream in itself on a second monitor, Streamlink is the way to go.

Hopefully it'll be a good one! Lots of interesting runs on the schedule at least. I've been more active in the last few years actually following speedrun stuff outside big events due to getting to know some awesome people involved but I still like going in relatively blind and being surprised with a run "holy crap, this is awesome!"

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

:getin:

Finally, something to look forward to.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yaaay, a GDQ!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for posting the thread KennyMan, always appreciated.

TeaJay posted:

I still like going in relatively blind and being surprised with a run "holy crap, this is awesome!"
:same:

Even further than that: Every single year there's at least a couple games that I've literally never heard of, but then end up thoroughly enjoying the runs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gdq Hyyyyyyypeeeeeee

Orb.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

No idea what this is but it sounds rad

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hope its something like that dude who played 2 punch outs at the same time

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like games, and the quickness therein

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
good luck to all the gamers. hope you get the games done in time, and i hope you enjoy yourself while doing so

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

How the gently caress did I put the wrong year in the title lol

Already asked VideoGames for a sticky, so I'll ask him to fix that too.

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

KennyMan666 posted:

How the gently caress did I put the wrong year in the title lol

Already asked VideoGames for a sticky, so I'll ask him to fix that too.

It seemed like japes on how long that year felt.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
You may want to toss a sub to the channel no matter where you watch it from. Twitch has gotten real bitchy about people circumventing their obnoxious ads, and their big “hey turn off your adblocker” screens are guaranteed to block the stream at the worst moment.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

agdq 2020 new game+

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Nemo2342 posted:

You may want to toss a sub to the channel no matter where you watch it from. Twitch has gotten real bitchy about people circumventing their obnoxious ads, and their big “hey turn off your adblocker” screens are guaranteed to block the stream at the worst moment.

or just use the alternate twitch player

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

19 years later and Golden Sun finally has merch, what a time to be alive

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Celeste
All C-Sides with Dance Pads — PC

what, how?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to this as always and hopefully this time next year things will be back to normal.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

BioThermo posted:

Celeste
All C-Sides with Dance Pads — PC

what, how?

Determination.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

AGDQ 2020 - Wait, it's actually 2021 now???

Can anyone confirm whether Streamlink bypasses Twitch's annoying purple adblock shaming screen?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Today is December 34

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
We are live!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man I need this rn

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Pre-show countdown HYPE

I load up the stream and my favorite Gradius III OC Remix is playing. A good sign.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Also, greetings from the GDQ studio! I'll be your stream tech for the next 6 hours and at this same time almost every day. Then this Friday, I'll be trying to squeeze in reading a few donations while Covert_Muffin runs Warcraft 3.

It's gonna be an awesome week.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Also, greetings from the GDQ studio! I'll be your stream tech for the next 6 hours and at this same time almost every day. Then this Friday, I'll be trying to squeeze in reading a few donations while Covert_Muffin runs Warcraft 3.

It's gonna be an awesome week.

Your work, along with that of the rest of GDQ staff, is always appreciated!

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
I'm not at the studio this time, which marks the first time since CGDQ I won't physically be at the event, but I do have a little command center set up in my home office, watching the server churn away. I didn't have to make too many changes since Fleet Fatales so I imagine the Tracker will be relatively stable. I do have the week off from my normal job, though I would have been working from home anyway.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
oh man these dumb preshows

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

heck yea i love this Channel Awesome style humor. weheheh XD

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is some great photoshoppin'

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
wait SNL is popular?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

AGDQ 2020 - Wait, it's actually 2021 now???

Can anyone confirm whether Streamlink bypasses Twitch's annoying purple adblock shaming screen?
For technical reasons, there's no way to truly skip it the pre-roll. What Streamlink does is simply throw away ad data it receives from AmazonTwitch, and only starts displaying anything, once the real data starts being received.

These technical reasons are that it's implemented using the EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY feature which is part of the HTTPS Live Streaming specification, which means you have to deal with the data for the ads somehow, in order to receive the data for the real stream that the broadcaster is sending out.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This ham and laughtrack is making me laugh and I don't know why because it's not funny at all.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I am ready for Awful Block... when I watch it on VOD later. :allears:

e: stupid work

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is incredibly dumb and I love it

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

again, just use the alternate twitch player extension. i've been using it since they introduced the purple screen and have not seen a single ad or purple screen since i installed it. you'll be like 8 or so seconds behind everyone else but that's the only downside.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Entenzahn posted:

wait SNL is popular?

Its warmed-over political takes were what everybody needed to get through the last 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This ham and laughtrack is making me laugh and I don't know why because it's not funny at all.

Entenzahn posted:

wait SNL is popular?