Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This is some super meat, boy! I'm hungry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

again, just use the alternate twitch player extension. i've been using it since they introduced the purple screen and have not seen a single ad or purple screen since i installed it. you'll be lik 8 or so seconds behind everyone else but that's the only downside.
I assume this for Firefox and this for Chrome?

The advantage of streamlink is that it lets you use a video player to, you know, play video. Instead of a browser, which is made for browsing.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've never watched a preshow and its charming in its earnestness

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i can't believe this is the first year of GDQ where meat boy forever has actually been released

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ok turning around and just loving lumping that meat into the wall got a laugh out of me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SNL is an American thing. Not everyone on the internet is American.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

For technical reasons, there's no way to truly skip it the pre-roll. What Streamlink does is simply throw away ad data it receives from AmazonTwitch, and only starts displaying anything, once the real data starts being received.

Also depends a bit on your settings what specifically happens when ads roll, in my experience. I might not be on the absolute latest version, but if I turn on HLS passthrough (the way I had Twitch GUI setup forever before the new ads) I get an animated holdscreen in VLC and some channels randomly fail to start the stream after the initial ad. I recently changed to standard input (the default I think?) because of the latter problem and the streams pause as though they cut out until the ad is over

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
god feasel's webcam is SO bad it's loving funny

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

god feasel's webcam is SO bad it's loving funny

it's like he's broadcasting from mars

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For those in the thread who are helping to run this event thanks for all the work you have put into this.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

For technical reasons, there's no way to truly skip it the pre-roll. What Streamlink does is simply throw away ad data it receives from AmazonTwitch, and only starts displaying anything, once the real data starts being received.

These technical reasons are that it's implemented using the EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY feature which is part of the HTTPS Live Streaming specification, which means you have to deal with the data for the ads somehow, in order to receive the data for the real stream that the broadcaster is sending out.

This is super cool stuff to know, thanks!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

UraniumAnchor posted:

I'm not at the studio this time, which marks the first time since CGDQ I won't physically be at the event, but I do have a little command center set up in my home office, watching the server churn away. I didn't have to make too many changes since Fleet Fatales so I imagine the Tracker will be relatively stable. I do have the week off from my normal job, though I would have been working from home anyway.

I thought it was pretty funny when I went to peek at the tracker and your test was the only one in yet

"Heh, goons in the donation lead"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ChristsDickWorship posted:

Also depends a bit on your settings what specifically happens when ads roll, in my experience. I might not be on the absolute latest version, but if I turn on HLS passthrough (the way I had Twitch GUI setup forever before the new ads) I get an animated holdscreen in VLC and some channels randomly fail to start the stream after the initial ad. I recently changed to standard input (the default I think?) because of the latter problem and the streams pause as though they cut out until the ad is over
Streamlink has a command-line switch (and possibly a setting) called --twitch-disable-ads which does what I said. Guess I should've mentioned that.
orz

EDIT: There's apparently some weird interaction issues between HLS passthrough and disabling twitch ads.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 3, 2021

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

SeXReX posted:

I thought it was pretty funny when I went to peek at the tracker and your test was the only one in yet

"Heh, goons in the donation lead"

It's always a little bit of a butt clench to send that first donation, even if nothing has changed in the processing code. I've been surprised before. Granted, it's been years, and that had nothing to do with the code, but still.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Now I wanna know what the other reason is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

It's always a little bit of a butt clench to send that first donation, even if nothing has changed in the processing code. I've been surprised before. Granted, it's been years, and that had nothing to do with the code, but still.
Of course, why would you expect things to work, just because they did before.
Whoever thought of the Principle Of Least Astonishment must've been drinking heavily, because surely nobody needs that.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I'm psyched for this, always love watching AGDQ. I might donate this year since I'm not as broke as before.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Being in IT, I sure do know that professional feeling of "hey I haven't touched this thingy in an amount of time, god I hope the bits and bops didn't magically fall out of place."

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Was this Streamlink error message the same thing you were discussing earlier?

Because I can't get Streamlink to load anymore, just get this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, that's the bullshit purple shame screen, all right.

e: I tried it on a different device and didn't get it, so make sure Streamlink is up-to-date and you're using the --twitch-disable-ads command line switch/setting as mentioned above.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 3, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's a small thing but I appreciate that the schedule actually lists what the bonus games are in advance instead of just saying ??? like previous events

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Because I can't get Streamlink to load anymore, just get this

What a load of bullshit that error message is.
Anyway, you probably wanna grab version 2.0 and disable HLS passthrough if you're using that.

site posted:

It's a small thing but I appreciate that the schedule actually lists what the bonus games are in advance instead of just saying ??? like previous events
Oh hey, yeah it does do that. That's neat!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

AGDQ LET'S FUCKIN GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

AGDQ LET'S FUCKIN GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think maybe possibly that there's a chance that we already might be going, OP.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyway, you probably wanna grab version 2.0 and disable HLS passthrough if you're using that.

Oh hey, yeah it does do that. That's neat!

I got the latest version of Streamlink (2.0) but how do I disable the passthrough?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yep, do this, I'm not getting the "error" either.

This might be worth putting in the OP since Twitch started implementing all of this garbage not long after the last GDQ.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Linking everyone's favorite Donation Generator! https://taskinoz.com/gdq/

First time watching AGDQ, second time runner. My animal passed away from frames. Money goes to donate the cancer, donate the games. Hype!!!!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I got the latest version of Streamlink (2.0) but how do I disable the passthrough?
It should be in your config file, I think?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

love to t-pose on a train

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just ended upw atching on twitch and using my primesub to dodge ads rather than deal with purple screen.

I wonder if there will be less downtime between runs since tech-wise everybody is running on their home set up and we should just be switching stream sources? That'd be rad if it kept the energy up.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
AGDQ Poetry Corner resumes

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It should be in your config file, I think?

I'm guessing it's this option?

# Use this if you want streamlink to only pass a URL to your player and
# let it handle the transport of the stream itself.
# player-passthrough=http,hls,rtmp

I took the # out and it seems to start again (although with a really long URL)

But yeah, if Twitch doesn't buffer much I'll just watch it via browser. A lot of hoops you gotta jump through just to use this program.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I'm guessing it's this option?

# Use this if you want streamlink to only pass a URL to your player and
# let it handle the transport of the stream itself.
# player-passthrough=http,hls,rtmp

I took the # out and it seems to start again (although with a really long URL)

But yeah, if Twitch doesn't buffer much I'll just watch it via browser. A lot of hoops you gotta jump through just to use this program.
It's quite possible I'm used to it because I'm a computer toucher who runs FreeBSD, but I just launch it via:
streamlink --twitch-disable-ads --player /usr/local/bin/mpv https://twitch.tv/gamesdonequick best

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm using the streamlink twitch gui program and it just shows a little "waiting for ad to finish before opening video" message in the command line thing. Haven't had any problems

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

site posted:

I'm using the streamlink twitch gui program and it just shows a little "waiting for ad to finish before opening video" message in the command line thing. Haven't had any problems
Yeah, that's what --twitch-disable-ads is supposed to fix.

Also heck yes Rockman III OST

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I'm completely lost now with command lines and editing configs, I have no idea what to put where anymore. Still getting the purple screen error with Streamlink Twitch GUI though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I just ended upw atching on twitch and using my primesub to dodge ads rather than deal with purple screen.

I wonder if there will be less downtime between runs since tech-wise everybody is running on their home set up and we should just be switching stream sources? That'd be rad if it kept the energy up.

Apparantly not!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I buckled after the first ad that was auto-served and subbed. I was probably going to sub anyway, but drat did that make me pull the trigger quickly.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Agent355 posted:

If SGDQ is any indication it'll move a little faster than in-person but not significantly.

I'm loving the little artificial crowd that reacts to chat emotes. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Twitch ads during the actual games are the worst. ESA had them but I think GDQ doesn't. I'm subbing just to support the cause anyway.