Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cells at work s2, cells at work black, spider anime, yurucamp s2 are my likely shows this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ready for max Nyanpassu and Comfy Camping. Otherside Panic looks good too and rest I'll try and see if it sticks for me

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Things that I am almost certainly watching: Cells at Work, Horimiya, Spider Isekai, Yuru Camp, and the rest of Jujutsu Kaisen

Things that I will trial for a couple episodes to see if I will continue: Back Arrow, Gekidol, Idoly Pride, Kemeno Jihen

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I'm way stoked for otherside picnic. The manga is solid and probably some of my favorite horror sci-fi going right now. Also I appreciate a nod to roadside picnic whenever I see one. Between this and Dorohedoro, I think there's some cool weird stuff making it to the surface, and that's pretty cool.
I think I need to catch up on RE:Zero so I might do that this season and then binge the new one once I'm done with that.
Kemono Jihen is way cool so I'm excited to see it in motion.
I'll probably wind up watching slime season 2 and the spidesekai too, but I reckon those'll wind up slipping off my radar.

Thanks for reading this ted talk. I think it looks like some fun shows this season, friends.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

im so ready for more yurucamp and im also so ready for snk to finally end so people stop talking about it. so this season will be good

seems extremely likely with the pace of adaptation that this is either gonna be a two part "season" like s3 or there will be a movie to complete the franchise so dont get your hopes up

e: i look forward to spider isekai being a legendary trainwreck. its from the guy who did berserk and cop craft and got delayed for years, there is little chance this won't end up hilarious. incredible that he still gets work

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 4, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For me: Otherside Picnic, Yurucamp s2, JJK cont, Cells at Work s2, Promised Neverland s2, Horimiya, Heaven Design Department, Azur Lane short

Maybe: CAW Black, Gotoubun s2, Umamusume s2, Wonder Egg Priority

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Homura and Sickle posted:

e: i look forward to spider isekai being a legendary trainwreck. its from the guy who did berserk and cop craft and got delayed for years, there is little chance this won't end up hilarious. incredible that he still gets work

shut the gently caress up and address the man who directed hachikuji's OP in bakemonogatari with respect you know-nothing imbecile.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that's half joking btw. i think people largely like the dude as a director but his studio doesn't seem to have the manpower for anything bigger than teekyuu.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The first episode of Vlad Love is up on YouTube from the show's producers and subtitled in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2im3P4AiHc

I wasn't particularly excited by it, but that's just my personal taste. Judge for yourself.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Between the glacial pacing and predictable punchlines, it feels like a forgetten straight-to-vhs OVA.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Homura and Sickle posted:

seems extremely likely with the pace of adaptation that this is either gonna be a two part "season" like s3 or there will be a movie to complete the franchise so dont get your hopes up

Oh Shin Itagaki is working on it? Cool, instant pass. I gave him benefit of the doubt on Berserk that it was bad because of the 3DCG. Then Cop Craft came out and was a nightmare of the most bizarre camera angles and unfinished animation. He can’t direct and his name is a warning flag.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I'm definitely watching Attack on Titan, Yuru Camp and Promised Neverland.

I'm going to give Dr Stone, Slime Isekai, Log Horizon and I'm a Spider a shot which I'm just realising are all isekai which is a funny co-incidence. The first 3 were all shows I was very invested in that just ran out of steam or dropped in quality so we'll have to see if they can bring it back. This is a packed season for sure. If anything else comes out of nowhere to be really good like Akudama Drive last season I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you only saw a few episodes of Dr Stone, hang in there til they get to the Village. That's when the show starts in earnest.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you only saw a few episodes of Dr Stone, hang in there til they get to the Village. That's when the show starts in earnest.

Oh I got to the end of the first season, it's just that the animation got reeeeal bad and they never got back to the same level as the lightbulb moment or the first few things they create. The worst parts were all the stuff focusing on the war which is why I'm iffy on the new season being all about the war.

The same thing happened with Log Horizon and Slime. They both started out great and then just got worse towards the end of the previous seasons. I'm giving them a shot though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 4, 2021

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I have to admit Dr. Stone's best arc (and best character by far) appears only after the war. I was hoping this season was 26 episodes too to cover the next arc but it was not to be.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
ok, watch list

Cells
Slime
Zero
Spider
Picnic
Egg
Vlad
Design-bu
Redo
Kemono

that's the longest watch list i've ever had

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
log horizon s2 was fascinating because it delved into the setting and characters in new ways that were all completely boring. a perfectly understandable and consistent delve into akatsuki's problems... that was boring. a large scale dungeon raid that devolved into a demoralizing slog as they generally do... which is naturally boring. the kids seeing more of the world and being confronted with the madness of desperate immortals... that was somehow still boring.

even if s3 is bad it will probably be bad in interesting ways.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As funny in the abstract as "watch the guild prog raid for 7 episodes as they wipe repeatedly" was, the actual experience of watching the show wasn't interesting in any way, and was made worse by nothing else interesting happening with anyone else in any of the other plotlines.

If the dungeon bits had either taken only a couple of minutes per episode or just only happened over 2-3 episodes instead of two thirds of the season, it would have been a funny joke.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Zetsubou-san posted:

ok, watch list

Cells
Slime
Zero
Spider
Picnic
Egg
Vlad
Design-bu
Redo
Kemono

if you use the full names it will be even longer!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty pleased with Otherside Picnic's first episode. Inherits some pacing and exposition weirdness from the first chapter of the novel, but IMO that ceases to be a real problem once our leads are properly acquainted and we settle into the Spook Of The Week rhythm. Could've stood for the monster stuff to be just slightly more horrific and there's a few eyebrow-raising CG cuts but overall the production was pretty good too - and Takuya Satou's Steins;Gate energy serves Picnic's tone as well as I had hoped. Excited for more.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

(Made in Abyss S2 is coming)
https://twitter.com/miabyss_anime/status/1345986196858499073?s=20
OH poo poo OH poo poo OH poo poo OH SHI-

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Black Stones posted:

Oh Shin Itagaki is working on it? Cool, instant pass. I gave him benefit of the doubt on Berserk that it was bad because of the 3DCG. Then Cop Craft came out and was a nightmare of the most bizarre camera angles and unfinished animation. He can’t direct and his name is a warning flag.

It would be fine to say “wow the latest shows by this studio were hot garbage” but I don’t think systemic issues of anime production should be blamed on people who can only work with what they have

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

its hosed up that berserk 2016's cgi team collectively chose to make it ugly and bad. they must be destroyed

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My theory is that your enjoyment of Spider-Girl is going to be dictated almost entirely by how much you like the idea of hearing Yuuki Aoi talk to herself for roughly 2/3rds of a 30 minute anime, every week

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

My theory is that your enjoyment of Spider-Girl is going to be dictated almost entirely by how much you like the idea of hearing Yuuki Aoi talk to herself for roughly 2/3rds of a 30 minute anime, every week

*raises hand* yes please and thank you

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Space Flower posted:

It would be fine to say “wow the latest shows by this studio were hot garbage” but I don’t think systemic issues of anime production should be blamed on people who can only work with what they have

have you read the extensively researched oral history on why berserk was such a piece of flaming dog poo poo? he had no idea what he was doing and was utterly incompetent. the animation was scaled down extensively at an entirely too late stage because their render farm was a like a thirty year old macbook, a thing he had never planned for. the failure of that production rests entire on his shoulders and i suspect that applies to cop craft as well, which started out looking fine and flew off the rails into my sister my writer / gundress territory pretty quickly

like there are production management disasters like flip flappers where the result is the director just locks himself in a cage and draws 12000 frames himself to cover for his poor management, and the end result is it looks amazing anyway, and then there's berserk / cop craft, which ends up being memes for their incompetent execution and resignation to shittiness

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 4, 2021

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Space Flower posted:

Except there was different studios working on the shows and the thing they had in common was the director. Berserk had 2 studios involved, so how can I blame the one studio when the next thing one of them did (The Magnificent Kotobuki) I actually liked even though I dislike 3DCG.

Directors have a style and they will highly inform what the finished product can look like. If you don’t believe that just look at how people bitched about Gurren Lagann and Dororo when Osamu Kobayahsi directed some episodes and they look incredibly different. So yeah, could the studio be giving him trash budgets? Possibly. That still doesn’t excuse all the weird and bizarre choices Cop Craft made. Even when characters would be standing still talking they would use bizarre angles and they did it constantly. Sometimes a director just sucks rear end.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gonna watch Attack on Titan S4 once I catch up with S3 and I'll check out Kemono Jihen eventually

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The first episode of Last Dungeon Kid was a lot funnier than I expected.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1346222389596725250
Anime is definitely the least important thing in the world, but I figure that we should be prepared to see a lot of the Winter shows moved to Spring or Summer.

Lives are more important

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

State of Emergency in Tokyo 3 huh

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kemono jihen is interesting because there is no human viewpoint character. everyone is a non-human with varying but still non-human ethics and values.

it's also a shounen fighting manga.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sakurazuka posted:

State of Emergency in Tokyo 3 huh

Yeah I did a double take on that one too

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

How will Grouchio react to the news that Re:Zero is delayed again?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How am I supposed to make a living as a small business owner when I keep being forced to evacuate for so called "angel attacks"?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Otherside Picnic was a strong first episode. Sold on the main couple right away and has just enough balance of comedy and creepy. Plus some great sound too (if you can watch in Surrroind or with good headphones do it)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

Except there was different studios working on the shows and the thing they had in common was the director. Berserk had 2 studios involved, so how can I blame the one studio when the next thing one of them did (The Magnificent Kotobuki) I actually liked even though I dislike 3DCG.

Directors have a style and they will highly inform what the finished product can look like. If you don’t believe that just look at how people bitched about Gurren Lagann and Dororo when Osamu Kobayahsi directed some episodes and they look incredibly different. So yeah, could the studio be giving him trash budgets? Possibly. That still doesn’t excuse all the weird and bizarre choices Cop Craft made. Even when characters would be standing still talking they would use bizarre angles and they did it constantly. Sometimes a director just sucks rear end.

Don't forget the static shots used to convey motion that all but read "insert brief action sequence here" in Cop Craft.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Zetsubou-san posted:

ok, watch list

Cells
Slime
Zero
Spider
Picnic
Egg
Vlad
Design-bu
Redo
Kemono

This season is nuts with long-awaited sequels and shounen stuff.

Hell just for isekais i'm watching: Spider, Slime, Re:Zero, Mushoku Tensei, does Dr Stone count as an isekai, Log Horizon

as well as Neverland and Titans

I've heard so much about Cells at Work and Beastars that I'll probably be checking those out at some point, too. Maybe Back Arrow just for the director.

Willo567 posted:

Anime is definitely the least important thing in the world, but I figure that we should be prepared to see a lot of the Winter shows moved to Spring or Summer.

Lives are more important

Nah gently caress that, this was going to be the quarantine season! This was suppose to be the winter of anime!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

XboxPants posted:

Nah gently caress that, this was going to be the quarantine season! This was suppose to be the winter of anime!

I'm sad that ZLS Revenge may be delayed, but we'll have to deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Willo567 posted:

I'm sad that ZLS Revenge may be delayed, but we'll have to deal with it

Wasn't it already delayed to Spring 2021 from it's hypothetical, amorphous original launch?