Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yigh
Jan 3, 2021
I've used a couple different solutions to try to automate the mundane tasks in my day-to-day.

I've found macro recorders and coordinate-based programs to be very brittle.

I've also difficulty in writing programs that understand that UI and the compositions, in the same way that browser automation solutions like Selenium can parse through HTML and latch onto various page properties.

I checked out the windows-side COM APIs with Window Spy / Spy++ and a LOT of programs fundamentally are just one wrapper over the actual content of the program (e.g. container around a chrome browser window).

I am on the cusp of thinking the best way (non-brittle) solution is screen-capture based methods (take screenshot, interpret it in the program, determine a click coordinate, proceed with rest of program).

Anyone know of other good approaches?

Have a listen: https://sptfy.com/sineapple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU