Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
VEHICLE: 1970 BMW 2002
GOAL: Make it my old man car
DIFFICULTY: I have no clue but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be pouring money into it

I had been looking for one of these forever. I've always liked the look of the 2002 but no one has ever sold a running one for less than 9k. I found this on craigslist for 6k.

Runs well: New carb. Has a '76 motor replacement with about 60K miles. New master cylinder. Shifting is smooth.
All external electrical (lights, wipers) functional.
Interior electrical (heater, etc) is in good shape. Speedo not connected. Some knobs are connected wrong.
Floorboards are rusted, baseball sized hole on driver side floorboard.

Cosmetic: Interior is rough. Door panels need to be replaced. Door lock missing on passenger side. Seller gave me replacement roof with functioning moonroof that I'm definitely going to pay to have replaced.

Future: Making a video series of my adventures in restoration and updating this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Wow I didn't expect any replies to this. I thi k I might keep the sharknose look to it rather than add any kind of bumper kit.

As far as the roof is concerned, I kind of have to replace it because the inside of the roof is rusted so bad just touching it drops poo poo in your eyes.

Were reorganizing our garage so I can move it in and have a dry place to work on it. I'm not a pro mechanic but I've been in "mechanical" field for 20 years so I can manage with some things.

I think my first step will be to remove the floor pan sections that are bad and replace them. Theres a straight up hole looking at the ground on the driver side.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

DrChu posted:

It looks like the car in the photo has one already. LegoMan - are you just replacing the moonroof mechanism or the whole roof?

No whats there is a caulked/tack welded closed moon roof. Theres no mechanism inside the car to operate it.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Alright we finally cleaned out our garage and I moved the car into it's home for the foreseeable future.

I had originally intended to replace the roof with the moon-roof replacement but changed my mind thinking about leaking (and from advice here in the thread). My idea now is to have a body shop look at the cutout section and attempt to fill it or weld something in place to cover and paint over it. I don't want the slightly recessed section to be visible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FoQpBOZHjI

In this video I quickly scanned over the driver side floorboard. I want to focus on this section first. The '70 2002 has segmented floorpans so I should be able to do the work without cutting out the risers. The section on the left (at the very start of the video) isn't part of the floorpan and I'll just have to weld on a replacement sheet after cutting out the rust. The left side speaker hole area is going to probably need to be fully replaced as well.

I really feel uncomfortable with pedals my feet slip off so I'll have to get something for clutch/brake.

Second video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPKdL-XsjWk shows the dash work I need to do (there's a button on the left I'm guessing is the hazard but it's broken off.) The panels on the door are rotting so I'll have to find something for that.

My next update will be once these issues are fixed. Also I will turn my phone sideways.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
2 Days Later...

After spending hours scraping off a metric fuckton of Bondo they used to fill in all the holes, I've got my path laid out ahead of me for patching the driver-side floor pan. I still don't want to remove the whole thing because 80% is still in good condition. I bought some 22 gauge steel I'm going to mold into the right shape, pop rivet it in place, and weld all nice and clean like. Then I'm going to spray the poo poo out of it with rust converter and rust sealant.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should use for the floor pans as a sound-proof / upholstery type material?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

did not turn out nearly as beautiful as it was in my head. However it's solid as a rock, doesn't make any noise when I tap on it, and it's sealed to hell and back. Once the upholstery is put over it you won't even see it. If in the future it doesn't work out I'll just have the floorpan replaced.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I'm in the process of rolling out 80mil deadening film. Scraping out all the old film (heatgun made it so much easier) and rolling out the new stuff is hell on my knees and my hands so it's taking a while but I'll have some pictures of the final result when it's done. After that it's replacing the door panels and getting upholstery put in.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Rolling out the film is taking ages, and since I'm a broken shell of an old man I can only do so much before I need to pound Advil. I'm about 60% done.

Called an upholstery place and they quoted me ~$1000 for carpet kit/installation. (450 - set, 70 shipping, 450 install). So I looked up prices online and found carpet sets for 250. Going to do it myself.

Ordered door/rear cab panels. Putting 4 coats of flat black lacquer paint and a coat (maybe 2) of semi-gloss over it.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I appreciate that, although I'm not really an auto guy so I'll mostly posting for people to chime in and catch me doing something wrong so I can correct course.

I wish I could change the title because there will be no video series I am far too lazy

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I can :D

(Let me know if you want it changed to something different)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Small update: Dampening film now complete. I have a carpet set on order. Before I put it in, I think I'm going to scrape the rust off the roof and see what I can do for a roof panel. Next update will have lots of pictures.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I have no idea what I'm doing update

I managed to get as much of the deadening film down as I wanted to. Honestly this was torture but with as thin and old as everything is I can't imagine the road noise I just eliminated.

I have a ton of the film left, so to help with vibration on my panels I put a layer around where it contacts the frame.

And a layer around the edge on the outside as well, to be trimmed after the seat goes back in.

Finally removed the old foam on the inner roof and removed some of the rust. Yes, that's actually after I removed the rust.

Here's where the dog comes in. I assumed it would be easy to piece together where the carpet sections go. I was wrong. It's going to take a minute or two for sure and some youtube watching.

But that color tho :kiss:

Next steps: Install rest of carpet. Install Door Panels. Put the seats back in and let a professional decide what to do about my roof.

Also I think my shift boot is coming on to me
:nws: :nws:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Bonus: Dewey inspecting carpets for flaws

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
First time putting on carbon fiber vinyl

Don't think I did half bad.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Both front door panels complete. Next steps, welding in a bolt to the gear shift to convert the whatever 14mm size they use in Germany to the standard size so I can use whatever knob I want.

Also rear panels need the carbon fiber treatment.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

This beautiful baby is on its way. Pretty much the last piece I'm going to do myself interior wise until all the electrical is finished

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Sorry about not updating at all. There hasn't been a lot of progress done. I'm working on finding new employment and that has taken all of my bandwidth.

I installed the center console with a snazzy shift boot.

Unfortunately there's a burning oil problem at high RPMs and no place around me (including the Euro focused shops) know how to work on something from 1970. SO I'm right now just trying to find a shop willing to work on it, or (saving) paying for an S14 Engine and swapping that in instead.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Small update (which references a huge update):

It's kind of been sitting in my garage for a while. I've been slowly working on the doorpanels, replacing the carbon fiber (yuck) with real leather. It looks nicer but I'm still not happy with how the edges look so I'm looking for some sort of trim to go around it.

Also I just dropped it off at a German Auto Shop for a complete top to bottom engine/transmission/exhaust rebuild

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

this is the initial list of parts

Exhaust is just being rebuilt from stock. Guy uses a core system for Engine rebuilds. He sends away one of his engine blocks to be rebuilt then takes mine afterwards.

I'm not really in the industry so I don't know if I'm getting ripped off or not but I actually saw the head fresh out of the box.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Normal speakers were too deep so I had a choice, buy super expensive shallow speakers, or come up with a different solution. There are custom kickplate mounts that are around 150 for a set. I only needed another 1/2 inch of clearance so I bought some MDF and cut and mounted a spacer to the original speaker mount.

I only just now realized I forgot to put any kind of sound dampening foam inside so I'll have to pull that apart and take care of that.

Wiring up center console (I probably won't connect the oil/temp gauge right away):

(Not sure if Dewey approves)

Still waiting for shop to give me the call that my engine is ready

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

I thought I was done with the sound dampening material rolling but there was this gigantic face of car not covered in it so I felt I could get away with putting more in to help stop road noise from the back.

Before

After

Then there was this bullshit "parcel shelf"

gently caress BMW and their organic 70's curves because cutting out some MDF to fit that took so many trips back to the jigsaw but I finally got it and covered it with that "carpet" they use for speaker boxes.

6x9's mounted.

Next up, putting the seats back in in preparation for Feb 14 when I get to drop her off at the shop for new engine :parrot:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
The way they explained it the work they're doing will add enough power to it, with new cams, new pistons etc, resealing everything. If I wanted to be fast I'd probably have sprung for an M3 motor which is a pretty popular swap for a 2002 I've heard. I don't want to race, I just want it fun to drive.

I'm also not very knowledgeable about engines in general which is why I'm paying to have it done. If there's some small upgrades I can do (I used to own a 97 Prelude that I replaced the intake on) I'll look into it.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

M3 motor is a popular swap yes but have you seen the prices... M10 can make some serious power, it just depends how long you want to go between rebuilds and how use-able that power is on the street. M10 is a great little engine.

Engine alone would be around 10k, then frame modification because it's not a simple swap, and I'm guessing the transmission isn't the same (although i don't know about that one).

The guy floated around 25K for the whole process, which would put me 30K into the car (cost+engine)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

Let me know where your guy is finding S14s that don't need a full rebuild (8-10k) for $10k, I'd like to buy a few. Not trying to be an rear end, the vintage BMW world has gone mad. I think even the spare Getrag 265 I have would now sell for $2-2.5k :smith:

Love the project and look forward to more updates. I keep hoping to find a 2002 in need of a little work for a reasonable price.

The guy who sold me the Roundie had an "M3 motor" in his garage he wanted to sell me for 10k but had known even less about the S14 than I do now and was just happy to have the car and didn't want to buy an Engine that cost almost twice what the car did.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Rebuilt Engine Update

New Header

Bonus video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKy9RWoaLQ8

Next Steps: Replace Wiring Harness with Painless Kit

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Free tool update (found inside fender. Probably accounted for half my road noise)

I have no idea what this thing is yet (not the regulator, and was located near the ignition coil. still investigating)

:gonk: (Don't zoom in very :nms:)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

now I know why the mechanic basically told me he was going to get me a starter and brake lights and told me to get the car out of his shop asap.

I've been going wire by wire checking for exposed copper and replacing any chunks I find. There's not going to be a problem using a lot of butt connectors if I use higher gauge wire in the replacement sections right?

(I'm not sure but I think it was actually the heater that melted the wires, they're very close and it had no divert tubing)

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Well, the good news is I wired up enough of the starter circuit to get the car started. It ran for about a minute then died. And refused to start again (kept turning over). The fuel filter has gas in it, and it's a mechanical fuel pump. I think the ignition coil might not be wired right but also there's a type of valve that is on the carburetor that runs to the ignition coil as well I'm assuming might have something to do with fuel being shut off.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
So small update while I'm still troubleshooting. I had to purge my entire fuel system because the screen from the fuel pickup on the tank came off and the fuel pump was sucking up literally everything in the tank. That includes poo poo at the bottom so my float chamber was not letting fuel into the throat (because the jets were presumably clogged)

So I'm hoping to start it up again today after putting the carburetor back together

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Thats the thing, I do have an inline fuel filter i dont know why that poo poo wasn't picked up. It doesn't look old so ill have to look at the invoice from the shop and see if it was on the list of parts replaced.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I'm completely at a loss. I've tripled checked my timing, cleaned carburetor, fuel is getting to carb, each plug is sparking like the sun. Fuel is just not getting into the combustion chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I just read something about an idle solenoid. Is that a sort of shut-off for allowing fuel into the chamber?