Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Hopefully next season week 1 gives us Eagles at Giants.

Not primetime of course, cause they both suck.

they'll use this as an excuse to push it to primetime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Seems like the ideal move is first get your o-line squared away and have your rookie QB sit behind a (relatively) decent vet. By the time the rookie is ready to take over, the o-line is a cohesive unit.

Unfortunately that is a multi-year plan and front offices barely have the leeway to implement this, as a really horrendous losing season (or 2) will have you out on your rear end.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
and we're back to Myles and nobody for a pass rush. Vernon might've played himself into another if cheap deal if not for this.

https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/1346139578411921408?s=20

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ches Neckbeard posted:

and we're back to Myles and nobody for a pass rush. Vernon might've played himself into another if cheap deal if not for this.

https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/1346139578411921408?s=20

Ah damnit. That sucks. Our defense is gonna need all the help it can get

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Question for discussion: which is worse, having a bad season and watching your pick go to another team (Texans), or having a bad season, owning your pick, but missing out on #1 and the next Andrew Luck because you weren't quite bad enough (Jets)

Also re the Eagles tanking, maybe they did, but I won't be hearing any whining from the Giants because you easily controlled your own destiny all year and you don't get to complain

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fast cars loose anus posted:

Question for discussion: which is worse, having a bad season and watching your pick go to another team (Texans), or having a bad season, owning your pick, but missing out on #1 and the next Andrew Luck because you weren't quite bad enough (Jets)

Also re the Eagles tanking, maybe they did, but I won't be hearing any whining from the Giants because you easily controlled your own destiny all year and you don't get to complain

I don't think anyone really feels any great sympathy for the Giants or their fans, if they wanted to be in the post season they probably should have won more than six games. It's more of the principle of the thing.

Also, the answer is Texans.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

chamois posted:

they'll use this as an excuse to push it to primetime

NFCE should be SNF every week

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'd way way way rather be the Texans then the Jets. They've got the QB situation figured out, that's an easy rebuild even with the poo poo sandwich they've got next year. Jets would praise the sun to be in the Texans exact situation in 3 years.

Nov 6, 2002

But the question didn't have anything to do with if you had a QB or not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Upset Giant radio is as good as expected.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

You absolutely want the pick. Having a chance at a player who might be good or might bust is better than having no pick at all.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd rather be Houston but watching the sole positive to a terrible losing season passed along to another team has to be worse than missing out on the #1 overall guy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nodoze posted:

NFCE should be SNF every week

Why must we all suffer

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Why must we all suffer

The games are always entertaining one way or another. How dare you doubt clown ball

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Nodoze posted:

The games are always entertaining one way or another. How dare you doubt clown ball

:hai:

Clownball is love. Clownball is life.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LOL Texas are a billion times worse. At least the Jets will get a QB.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Android Apocalypse posted:

Seems like the ideal move is first get your o-line squared away and have your rookie QB sit behind a (relatively) decent vet. By the time the rookie is ready to take over, the o-line is a cohesive unit.

Unfortunately that is a multi-year plan and front offices barely have the leeway to implement this, as a really horrendous losing season (or 2) will have you out on your rear end.

The problem with doing it this way is you'll probably remove your team from any chance at drafting a top quarterback. Having a competent offensive line seems like a sure fire way to get at least 5 or 6 wins and now you'll only be able to take like the 3rd or 4th best qb in the draft. I don't personally think that's a big deal, but drafting that top guy makes owners and fanbases feel good for a few months before they inevitably get destroyed behind a terrible o-line.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nodoze posted:

I'm sure watching someone with projectile diarrhea in an alley is entertaining. That doesn't mean I want it on prime time TV.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Maybe he'll end up as good as Watson!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Maybe he'll end up as good as Watson!

Hopefully! But having Watson in place and STILL going 4-12 and then having no money or draft picks is ROUGH.

Nov 6, 2002

Thankfully Watson is only 25 and under contract for four years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the Texans are going to have a terrible 2021. But they have the QB and an excellent LT, so that's pretty much easy mode GM'ing to unfuck that situation for 2022.

Bill O'Brien probably had the single worst performance for a GM though. Just truly amazing what he managed to do.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The Texans are fixable but that job is dreadful. If you can get Easterby out of there then it's not so bad provided you get an agreement that you are given time to unsalt the earth

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the nfc east is the best division in football

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
:patssay: I know I should be mad about this or whatever, but I just have to lol at how the Brady departure has played out for the Patriots.

Tom Brady: 40 passing TDs, 11-5 record
All Patriots players combined: 12 passing TDs (2 by a WR!), 7-9 record

Rob Gronkowski: 623 yards, 7 TDs
All Patriots TEs combined: 238 yards, 1 TD

:laugh:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Gronk was never playing for the Patriots though. At least its plausible Brady would have

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

sean10mm posted:

:patssay: I know I should be mad about this or whatever, but I just have to lol at how the Brady departure has played out for the Patriots.

Tom Brady: 40 passing TDs, 11-5 record
All Patriots players combined: 12 passing TDs (2 by a WR!), 7-9 record

Rob Gronkowski: 623 yards, 7 TDs
All Patriots TEs combined: 238 yards, 1 TD

:laugh:

I firmly believe that if the patriots had taken Chubb over Michel and metcalf over Harry Brady would have stuck around. If they hadn’t traded for sanu and got someone else instead, like emmanuel sanders, even more so.

He wants to win and it was clear this roster wasn’t going anywhere offensively.

Michel is only ~acceptable when white and burkhead are around to spell him, and Harry is the biggest first round receiver bust I can remember.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

ketchup vs catsup posted:

...Harry is the biggest first round receiver bust I can remember.

Paging Professor Kawalimus

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I firmly believe that if the patriots had taken Chubb over Michel and metcalf over Harry Brady would have stuck around. If they hadn’t traded for sanu and got someone else instead, like emmanuel sanders, even more so.

He wants to win and it was clear this roster wasn’t going anywhere offensively.

Michel is only ~acceptable when white and burkhead are around to spell him, and Harry is the biggest first round receiver bust I can remember.

Nah, it really appeared that Brady was telling close friends that he just wanted out of New England for personal and branding reasons.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maybe he was sick of Bill's grim bullshit and wanted to have some fun in nice weather before he retired

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Look at these Harry stats:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Gronk was never playing for the Patriots though. At least its plausible Brady would have

The gronk bit is more about how totally hapless the 2020 Patriots TE corps was.

I mean, say what you will about Brady as a weirdo rear end in a top hat or whatever, but he totally made the right move by leaving the Pats.

Option A: Get a lowball contract, have Belichick poo poo on you every day, throw to scrubs and get blamed for how they gently caress up all the time.
Option B: Get $50m guaranteed, loft balls in the general area of huge talented dudes, be hailed as hero for making Tampa Bay watchable at all.

:thunk:

AndrewP posted:

Maybe he was sick of Bill's grim bullshit and wanted to have some fun in nice weather before he retired

It's this basically.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cam throwing to Harry was something where you could be certain something bad was going to happen, and 50/50 on whose fault it would be on any given throw.

Also I don't understand any Pats fan mad at either Brady or Bill.

If the worst case scenario after winning 3 superbowls in 4 years for a second time is you watched your team go 7-9 and the greatest QB ever put up 40 passing TD's at age 43, then #blessedlife.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

What are the chances of the Lions moving on from Stafford?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yudo posted:

What are the chances of the Lions moving on from Stafford?

Pretty good. He'll be 33 next year, so he's young enough that a team can be talked into trading a solid asset for him, and his contract is such that they save $14m next year if he moves on.

The Lions also have pretty much no hope for next season, so getting assets for a new coach / gm to play with, makes a ton of sense. It'd make all the sense in the world for the 49ers, Patriots, Panthers, to trade for him, or even any of a half dozen other teams depending on how the draft math shakes out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mcmagic posted:

And proceed to ruin him like they ruined Darnold and will be back in this whole mess in another few years.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Kalli posted:

Pretty good. He'll be 33 next year, so he's young enough that a team can be talked into trading a solid asset for him, and his contract is such that they save $14m next year if he moves on.

The Lions also have pretty much no hope for next season, so getting assets for a new coach / gm to play with, makes a ton of sense. It'd make all the sense in the world for the 49ers, Patriots, Panthers, to trade for him, or even any of a half dozen other teams depending on how the draft math shakes out.

Thanks. I didn't realize the market would be so hot for him. The Pats make a lot of sense, but I would love him on the WFT. It would be disappointing if they wasted a good defense while trying to find a QB.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Pats should just give up on the concept of drafting offensive skill players, trade for Stafford and spend their big pile of cap space on free agent receivers and tight ends.

Though their scouting of those has been poo poo lately too (looking at that 2nd rounder spent to get Sanu :piss: )

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder what the Lions would want in return for Stafford

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I wonder what the Lions would want in return for Stafford

Going by OTC, the Lions can use the cap space, but also could conceivably keep him. On the other hand, there are maybe 5 QBs that will go in the first round depending on how dumb teams are (and they are always dumb). The Lions have leverage, but can't ask for the sun and the stars as after the draft several bidders will bow out. 2nd rounder? 3rd? What do you think?