Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
This is an amazing opportunity for Tom Brady's last pass as a Buc to also be a pick six in the playoffs imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I wonder what the Lions would want in return for Stafford

I guess it ends up costing about the value of a late 1st round pick if anyone's willing to pay it.

Hue Jackson was able to ramrod in a 1st and a 2nd for a broken 32 year old Carson Palmer because Al died.

A 26 year old Jay Cutler was traded for 2 1sts and a 3rd, but that's not really the best comparison due to age.

29 year old Culpepper was traded to the Dolphins for a 2nd, but he was rehabbing a terrible leg injury.

A 30 year old Bledsoe got traded for a 1st, in division no less, but that was 17 years ago.

I think if I'm the Lions, and I can get the value of a late 1st (like a reasonable high 2nd + something else) you go for it, and if you get lucky and some GM wants to save his job, eyyyyyyy

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Propaganda Bob posted:

This is an amazing opportunity for Tom Brady's last pass as a Buc to also be a pick six in the playoffs imo

The WFT defense has fits when they have to play both the run and the pass. They will get to him, sure, but I think you may have to wait another week for your dream to be realized.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A decent GM could find diamonds in the rough from other teams, which is probably what whoever takes over the Texans is gonna need to do. There's still decent finds in the UFDAs, late rounds, and cuts from other teams. Find some decent players there to augment who you have next season then 2022 becomes a lot more obtainable.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

If I were a GM I would simply pluck all the hidden best players from other teams

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Hopefully! But having Watson in place and STILL going 4-12 and then having no money or draft picks is ROUGH.

Covid year. Im willing to bet they're a 10 win team next year. They can free up a good chunk of space IIRC.

edit yeah JJ Watt can free up 10 million alone in a restructure, and they're getting 12mm in space free when Brandon Cooks becomes a UDFA. Tunsil looks like he can free up a healthy amount with a restructure as well, but not as much as you'd hope (4mm)

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 4, 2021

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

BrownThunder posted:

If I were a GM I would simply pluck all the hidden best players from other teams

I would call all the teams and ask if they had a Robert Tonyan just sitting around

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Kalli posted:

I guess it ends up costing about the value of a late 1st round pick if anyone's willing to pay it.

Hue Jackson was able to ramrod in a 1st and a 2nd for a broken 32 year old Carson Palmer because Al died.

A 26 year old Jay Cutler was traded for 2 1sts and a 3rd, but that's not really the best comparison due to age.

29 year old Culpepper was traded to the Dolphins for a 2nd, but he was rehabbing a terrible leg injury.

A 30 year old Bledsoe got traded for a 1st, in division no less, but that was 17 years ago.

I think if I'm the Lions, and I can get the value of a late 1st (like a reasonable high 2nd + something else) you go for it, and if you get lucky and some GM wants to save his job, eyyyyyyy

He counts $33m against the cap and his roster bonus is due March 21st. So it looks more like they have to deal him or cut him, all well before the draft. A late 1st seems a little steep just to get exclusive negotiating rights.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

Cam throwing to Harry was something where you could be certain something bad was going to happen, and 50/50 on whose fault it would be on any given throw.

Also I don't understand any Pats fan mad at either Brady or Bill.

If the worst case scenario after winning 3 superbowls in 4 years for a second time is you watched your team go 7-9 and the greatest QB ever put up 40 passing TD's at age 43, then #blessedlife.

Some people are just broke brained. Brady was not going to throw 40 TDs with the Pats. Gronk was not going to come out of retirement to play in New England. It was pretty obvious after last year that the Pats were in dire need of offensive talent and that the situation wasn't going to improve in one off-season. If Brady had decided to stay one more year this season was still going to be very ugly, and perhaps the split would have gotten really uncomfortable. Better he saw the writing on the wall and headed for greener pastures than stick around and end his career here eating poo poo.

Really, after winning so much for my team how could I possibly begrudge Brady or Belichick making whatever decisions they want to for themselves.

Nov 6, 2002

I'm skeptical Stafford would want to go to New England after dealing with Mr Patriot Way the last few years.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, the Texans are going to have a terrible 2021. But they have the QB and an excellent LT, so that's pretty much easy mode GM'ing to unfuck that situation for 2022.

Bill O'Brien probably had the single worst performance for a GM though. Just truly amazing what he managed to do.

You get any HC in NFL history, with the caveat they only have input on coaching.

Who do you want as the sole person in charge of roster control.

Al Davis
Jerry Jones
Chip Kelly
Bill O'Brien

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Do I get to choose how old Al Davis is? That part seems important.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Stafford is a lovable doof goof and Bill is cranky old man, the odd couple pairing could be fun.

*grumble grumble* "Cut your hair, slacker!"
"You should, like, just surf life and chill, dude."
*hands Bill a blunt*
"You will take <scrappy slot receiver> and you will like it!"

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Do I get to choose how old Al Davis is? That part seems important.

21st Century Al Davis.

Nov 6, 2002

Paint Crop Pro posted:

You get any HC in NFL history, with the caveat they only have input on coaching.

Al Davis
Jerry Jones
Chip Kelly
Bill O'Brien

Give me the bullet.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I'm skeptical Stafford would want to go to New England after dealing with Mr Patriot Way the last few years.

Yeah. Maybe there's some appeal in working with an actually competently run coaching staff instead of a sham facsimile, but who would sign up to throw to N'Keal Harry and Ryan Izzo?

I trust the Patriots are likely to find someone from the FA pile that will pass as a reasonable starter, but I don't think they'd get the top choice.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Al Davis
Jerry Jones
Chip Kelly
Bill O'Brien

Jerry.

Like, he's not great but he's willing to spend big money and get you whatever you want. Al would just give you endless speed freaks and the other 2 are just useless assholes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Brady was not going to throw 40 TDs with the Pats. Gronk was not going to come out of retirement to play in New England.

Who is saying any of this?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

adaz posted:

Jerry.

Like, he's not great but he's willing to spend big money and get you whatever you want. Al would just give you endless speed freaks and the other 2 are just useless assholes.

This would be my answer as well but I suppose part of the hypothetical is that Jerry might just replace your chosen coach with his inexplicable favorites.

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

Who is saying any of this?

Seems like your passively aggressively making that point, or at least that's what I thought:

sean10mm posted:

:patssay: I know I should be mad about this or whatever, but I just have to lol at how the Brady departure has played out for the Patriots.

Tom Brady: 40 passing TDs, 11-5 record
All Patriots players combined: 12 passing TDs (2 by a WR!), 7-9 record

Rob Gronkowski: 623 yards, 7 TDs
All Patriots TEs combined: 238 yards, 1 TD

:laugh:

sean10mm posted:

All Patriots quarterbacks combined threw for 10 TDs this season.

Tom Brady's rotting husk threw 10 TDs in his last 3 games.

:laffo:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Brady was not going to throw 40 TDs with the Pats. Gronk was not going to come out of retirement to play in New England. It was pretty obvious after last year that the Pats were in dire need of offensive talent and that the situation wasn't going to improve in one off-season. If Brady had decided to stay one more year this season was still going to be very ugly, and perhaps the split would have gotten really uncomfortable. Better he saw the writing on the wall and headed for greener pastures than stick around and end his career here eating poo poo.

Really, after winning so much for my team how could I possibly begrudge Brady or Belichick making whatever decisions they want to for themselves.

I agree with everything in this post, but they "were in dire need of offensive talent" because the only good non-line offensive player they've drafted since 2010 is Damien Harris. EDIT: and my best friend James White.

I especially agree with the bold part.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 5, 2021

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

adaz posted:

Jerry.

The other thing with Jerry is making sure you have something shiny to distract him with when the next Johnny Football 2.0 comes around

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Paint Crop Pro posted:

The other thing with Jerry is making sure you have something shiny to distract him with when the next Johnny Football 2.0 comes around

Rooting for the Patriots has left me pretty familiar with how to distract an owner with whores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Seems like your passively aggressively making that point, or at least that's what I thought:

Nah.

Brady killing it while the Pats suck is funny to me in general, but that doesn't mean I think he would have killed it if he stayed on the Pats instead. It would have been 2019 all over again except probably even worse.

Brady jumping ship for Tampa was a brilliant move for him personally, and letting 40+ Brady walk was the least of Belichick's GM sins. I have said as much all along I think.

Those offensive skill position players tho :piss: