Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

KoRMaK posted:

nah you're bulking

you're preparing for a cut, later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post hole digger posted:

oh lord im gettin fat again

same. luckily watuary will save me

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I tell you it's fun to hit the gym and noticeably build my shoulders and back while trimming my waist, but drat I'm running into the limits of what an XL jacket / tee can do for me now. Granted stuff fits much better than it used to now I'm more a trapezoid shape in the correct direction, but any bigger and it'll be XXL time which a lot of the clothing brands I like just don't do.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah i find that many brands dont really scale past M very well for fit, maybe Ls look ok but for me they kinda of blow out in size

and pants are a nightmare if you got thicc doing squats too

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Duluth Trading Co is great for casual clothes for bigger guys. God help you if you need a dress shirt though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Share Bear posted:

and pants are a nightmare if you got thicc doing squats too

lol some trousers I bought that fit nicely a few months back I put on and they were somewhat tighter, 'drat have I put weight on my gut again!?' - nope, the Glute Lift machine has added some extra Cake and that's filling out my pants :o:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
since starting lifting my quads have gotten too big for most of my pants and i’ve gone up at least two waist sizes. so now i gotta go try on a bunch of different sizes and cuts to figure out what the hell kind of pants i can wear

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i need something in between an M and an L for shirts/tops, like a bit more of taper on the stomach like an M but length and big arm and titty room like an L

pants and jeans i just go to fancy loving places that fit and tailor and get something close to what i'm at, or the levi's athletic fit

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HamAdams posted:

since starting lifting my quads have gotten too big for most of my pants and i’ve gone up at least two waist sizes. so now i gotta go try on a bunch of different sizes and cuts to figure out what the hell kind of pants i can wear

having to buy pants based on how they fit your thigh instead of your waist is such a loving hassle. at least zoomers reviving wider cut pants is helping the cause.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

nah you're bulking

you're preparing for a cut, later

once you get to a certain age you dont run bulk cycles, you just stop counting calories.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Over the course of my life I went from wearing L tshirts as a 150lb teenager to now small/med tshirts as a 180 pound adult. Lol

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I've been wearing levi 541 jeans since I got into lifting and it's a pretty good cut for me. I have really skinny calves and small feet so straight legged jeans look ridiculous on me; the 541 has some room in the thigh but still has a slight taper

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
back when I was svelte with large squatting legs Ralph Lauren jeans were the only ones that could house my thighs.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

scale read 180lbs this morning. So 10lbs to go for to my goal weight.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol @ the bmi scale. if I weighted 129 I'd probably be dying.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

BMI is so insanely dumb, the laziest metric ever

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m obese on BMI. I can see my ribs in certain angles. Great metric.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just remembered when people used the word "swole" haha

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Heh used to? 💪 :smug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ADINSX posted:

Heh used to? 💪 :smug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Nobody wants to get swole anymore. Sad!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
this is yospos, where every poster is (by definition) a bodybuilder earning a p deece 6.5 figgies

we dont have to "get" swole. we are swole

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oof; usually on 'legs and middle' day I use the 'rotary torso' machine second in my circuit as a warm-up and the 'back extension' stretcher machine last, there's about 45mins between them. Yesterday was busy in the gym and I had to grab machines as and when they were free, ended up with these two (ahem) back-to-back, and after a couple sets of the extender I got a big broad twinge across my whole lower back.

I was properly hobbling and bent with it, any time I'd stop and sit it would tense up, and only loosen up again after ten minutes of aching walking.

Slept with a hot water bottle on my back last night and it feels better than it did, but I think it'll be haunting me a few days yet.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FMguru posted:

this is yospos, where every poster is (by definition) a bodybuilder earning a p deece 6.5 figgies

we dont have to "get" swole. we are swole

a true bodybuilder combines grindset and body dysmorphia to ensure they never believe they are swole enough.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Swole but longing for bigger

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Going Big at the gym

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

back at the gym after the holidays this week and holy poo poo the DOMS are destroying me

wtb: a fresh set of quads to swap out

akadajet posted:

scale read 180lbs this morning. So 10lbs to go for to my goal weight.
hell yeah :hi5: 170 is also my goal weight, been floating at ~185 since new years so I got some work to do

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m trying to get back on track with counting calories and exercise again, maybe it will work this time. wish me luck :)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m trying to get back on track with counting calories and exercise again, maybe it will work this time. wish me luck :)

good luck!

i wish i had better advice for building positive habits. like

i take the mentality starting out that i have an obligation to be at the gym on whatever day and i have to keep that obligation, and keep doing it until its a habit or ritual you do just because you have to, what else were you gonna do

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I went for a nice walk on my work break.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I visited family this weekend and pigged out. now I feel like poo poo.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

I visited family this weekend and pigged out. now I feel like poo poo.

same but 'for the past roughly 4 weeks' :(

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’ve been barley lifting due to moving and a few other things. been eating a lot, all those gains wasted

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
moving counts as exercise imo, don't sell yourself short

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the body is truly a wonderous practical demonstration of insight and technology, its resilience is stunning

my lifts have returned to a stable consistencey in short order but whats even more charming is how its actually detectible with the bare naked eye that consistency is. great motivation for keeping it up, barring another global shutdown

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

well why not posted:

barley lifting

you can just say "drinking beer"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

post hole digger posted:

me too even tho i been working out a lot lately im gaining weight and feel like a fat gently caress.

please dont i say count calories....... i beg you..... beg... you..... :qq:

i count calories

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
starting to think i might need a professional opinion on my knee. once i’m warmed up it feels ok but the day or two after lifting or playing volleyball is real rough and is only getting worse

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

50 minutes on the bike 🚲

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

BMI is so insanely dumb, the laziest metric ever

BMI cops a bad rap because it's not super accurate but it's an attempt to take a stab at a persons risk of having excess adiposity using the crappy measurements that a health professional can easily make. And it does okay in terms of being a medical test at the extremes, in that if your BMI is below 18 or above 35 chances are your bodyfat level is out of whack enough to be a significant health risk. But yeah if you go overboard and say that someone with a BMI of 24 is just fine (they might still have enough excess adiposity to have health risks) or that someone with a BMI of 26 should be on a TLC special (they might be just fine) then that's obviously silly.

Obviously waist girth or DEXA scan or some other measurements would be better but even waist girth is gonna be hard to get measured for everyone during a doctors visit.