Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

BMI? Big Meat Intercourse? Personally, I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my bmi was 20.4 when the doctor took my measurements 3 weeks ago

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my Dr said my measurements were 69 x 420 :xd:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

BMI isn't perfect, but it's also been the subject of relentless attempts to discredit it from movements like Healthy At Every Size (who are actively trying to kill people by spreading the belief that there are literally no negative health effects for even the most severe obesity) so I'm always suspicious when people dismiss it off-hand.

Yeah, if you have the ability you should get a DEXA scan and have a much more accurate view of your body fat level, but unless you are an honest-to-god elite athlete the number you get back from the DEXA scan is going to be in the general range that your BMI suggests. You're not going to have a BMI of 30 with just 10% body fat unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger when he was competing in Mr. Olympia.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Accuracy of Body Mass Index to Diagnose Obesity In the US Adult Population

See here and here for the definitions of the measurements they're using. The tl;dr is that BMI is not suitable tool for diagnosing obesity as measured by excess body fat. It may have value when combined with other measurements, but then you have to look at whether those other measurements are fine on their own.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ultrafilter posted:

Accuracy of Body Mass Index to Diagnose Obesity In the US Adult Population

See here and here for the definitions of the measurements they're using. The tl;dr is that BMI is not suitable tool for diagnosing obesity as measured by excess body fat. It may have value when combined with other measurements, but then you have to look at whether those other measurements are fine on their own.

That study has been posted ITT before, and it's important to note that their conclusions about BMI's limits are specifically because it gives too many false negatives, as many of the study participants were obese as defined by their body fat levels but had a BMI lower than 30.

Study Conclusion posted:

Despite the good correlation between BMI and BF %, the diagnostic accuracy of BMI to diagnose obesity is limited, particularly for individuals in the intermediate BMI ranges. A BMI cut-off of ≥ 30 kg/m2 has a good specificity but misses more than half of people with excess fat. These results help to explain the U and J-shape association between BMI and outcomes.

So yeah, BMI is very limited. But if your BMI is >=30 the odds that you don't have a large excess of body fat are basically the same odds that you make at least $400k a year, because you're in the top 1% (and are probably already well aware of it well before you stepped on the scale).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

1% of the general population with a BMI over 30 is not obese, but among people who run/lift/do anything athletic the proportion is going to be higher. I don't believe the NHANES III contains data about activity levels so they can't measure those subpopulations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

1% of the general population with a BMI over 30 is not obese, but among people who run/lift/do anything athletic the proportion is going to be higher. I don't believe the NHANES III contains data about activity levels so they can't measure those subpopulations.

considering how difficult it is to get an FFMI over 25, getting a BMI over 30 without excess bodyfat is still going to be drat rare

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ultrafilter posted:

I mean, the proportion will be higher in that 0% of people with a BMI at or above 30 who do not do any regular physical activity but somehow don't have excess body fat. Like, unless some person got into the study who secretly swallowed a bunch of lead weights that's just not how the human body works.

Because fat is such an emotional topic in our culture, people go to great lengths to delude themselves about how much body fat they have. I've seen guys whose bellies literally fall over their belt say with 100% conviction that you can practically see their abs (what you could actually see was the way the indent of their belly-button created folds along their mid-section).

Hell, I definitely deluded myself in the past ("I'm a competitive strongman, this is all muscle!"), and it was only by getting regularly measured through DEXA scans that I was able to see through those delusions. And you need to be able to see through those delusions if you want to make real progress. (Well, that an a Wegovy RX. That poo poo is loving amazing.)

By the way, even as I'm typing this now I'm still obese. I've lost 100 pounds since my all-time-high weight, and I work out 3-4 times a week, but my BMI is just about 32 and my body fat percentage is around 27%. At the risk of deeply embarrassing myself in the 'POS, I've actually got progress pictures that show me at various levels of obesity. (All taken immediately post-workout at the same gym over the course of 2 years. The most recent one was from this last Thursday.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
thick solid tight

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Good going, Lance - you got a little extra at the waist on me but otherwise looking pretty much the same shape / weight / BMI. Keep it up.

I felt that I was coasting a little with my workouts the last month or so, so last week I stepped up an extra plate on each of the cable machines I use, and yeah that's brought things back into the realm of 'Actual Effort', wasn't getting a'pump' before but now I am. I'm going to to try and not get complacent once this new weight gets to be as easy as the last step and keep pushing myself. I was worried about mounting up the 28kilo dumbbells for my 45degree bench presses up from the 26s without dropping / stalling them, and then it turned out actually that was pretty easy, I might challenge myself to the 30s next time :madmax:

drat if I didn't get some warning 'pre-cramp' twinges from my biceps when in the shower afterwards and lifting my arms up to wash my hair, will have to watch out for that.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

you can see the fat melting off ur face. good job!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

as bad as BMI is, I decided to start cutting in part because I was getting really close to "obese" on that scale.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart simpson posted:

my bmi was 20.4 when the doctor took my measurements 3 weeks ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7NSulBOMNk

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my bmi is 69

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we're all really concerned about you

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i asked my doctor's office if we could get a more accurate measurement of my body fat % than bmi and they hmm'd and ha'd and said "I haven't heard of us ever doing that"

kthx

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

i asked my doctor's office if we could get a more accurate measurement of my body fat % than bmi and they hmm'd and ha'd and said "I haven't heard of us ever doing that"

kthx

do a search, there might be a company doing DEXA scans in your city for less than $50 a pop. also you can also do waist girth, <<37" measured at the top of the illiac crest is a good target for a dude (I think there are different norms if you aren't white tho).

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I ran 3 miles in 30 minutes on the treadmill without stopping/slowing down today. Apple Watch still tells me my vo2max is dogshit

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

big shtick energy posted:

BMI cops a bad rap because it's not super accurate but it's an attempt to take a stab at a persons risk of having excess adiposity using the crappy measurements that a health professional can easily make. And it does okay in terms of being a medical test at the extremes, in that if your BMI is below 18 or above 35 chances are your bodyfat level is out of whack enough to be a significant health risk. But yeah if you go overboard and say that someone with a BMI of 24 is just fine (they might still have enough excess adiposity to have health risks) or that someone with a BMI of 26 should be on a TLC special (they might be just fine) then that's obviously silly.

Obviously waist girth or DEXA scan or some other measurements would be better but even waist girth is gonna be hard to get measured for everyone during a doctors visit.

bmi was created in the 50s for insurance purposes op

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bmi was created in the 50s for insurance purposes op

You say that like the insurance industry isn’t on the cutting edge of actuarial sciences, as the whole business lives or dies on getting those calculations correct.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, but that's a very different matter, if we're trying to figure out how many people are statistically facing health problems in a population of a million bmi is probably a pretty good stab at it (and was probably better still in 1950 when the extremes were less extreme). that does not make it a good measure for one person to apply to themselves though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, insurance companies need to know two things to function:
  1. How much to charge for premiums.
  2. How much cash to keep around to pay out this year's claims.
Both of those require pretty good predictions about large groups of people but there's no need to make accurate predictions about individuals.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah maybe some insurance companies. but not american health insurance companies, they just skim off the top of government enforced oligopoly "markets" and can earn more money purely by jacking up rates in a way that literally nobody can follow or understand

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The frustrating thing about this argument is that the people working hardest to discredit BMI don't actually give a poo poo about accuracy of measuring body fat. Bring up things like getting a DEXA scan and they'll go all shocked-pikachu that the option even exists and then just change the subject. It's just a bullshit motte-and-bailey argument meant to hide what they really want to say...

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Obesity has plenty of negative health consequences and BMI is a bad metric

It’s bad because it doesn’t distinguish muscle from fat

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Okay, I guess there is also a second category of the argument...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

oh well. I'm losing weight and BMI, the lovely metric that it is, will tell me I'm "normal" soon. and also, I look better in a medium size shirt instead of large now.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

My big "dad bod" gut is almost gone.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Okay, I guess there is also a second category of the argument...

lmao

for real, whenever i see somebody jumping up and down about bmi being terrible, i think of the keto thread from like 2008 or whatever it was.

like, no poo poo it's not an actual in-depth analysis. it distills fatness down to a single number, and its inputs are height and weight. anybody who would expect that to be flawless is just, like, kind of dumb. watching people discover that it's not infallible (and then decide it's the worst thing ever) is like watching nerds discover food that isn't chicken tenders, and then proceed to tell everyone about ramen like it's the most delicious exotic food imaginable. or that time when someone (tori maybe?) started eating vegetables and didn't shut up about it for months because he assumed that nobody else had figured out how to eat like an adult before 35

which is to say, it's cute at first but it gets old eventually

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 22, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bmi is fine imo and im an expert you can trust me

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I trust you

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I did an hour on the bike last night and I’m gonna do another tonight

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

which is to say, it's cute at first but it gets old eventually

much like children

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

My big "dad bod" gut is almost gone.

congrats

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Silver Alicorn posted:

I did an hour on the bike last night and I’m gonna do another tonight

:nice:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
made it 50 minutes but had to stop early for dinner

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Silver Alicorn posted:

made it 50 minutes but had to stop early for dinner

Nothing worse than getting hungry during a workout :(

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

shaker bottle + 1 scoop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
maxed out the leg extension machine yesterday. i’m gonna start putting “full stack dev” on my resume