Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Resistance bands with a door anchor are pretty good if you're looking for a cheap replacement for free weights or just something a lot more compact/portable for your apartment. It's what I have been doing for the last couple of months and it feels great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AwbSQeUX0s

e: oxsnard has some pretty decent posts on the subject in the cspam fitness thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871067&userid=43092&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I really need to get back into cycling. I used to go for some short rides during the weekends but that changed once it got cold.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

wtf can the mods ban the mini shaggers itc? tia

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ADINSX posted:

That would be badass. Weight prices are insane right now though :( I've been shopping around for a heavybag for my basement, the virtual classes have us mostly shadow box but the impact of the bag is really therapeutic and satisfying. Lotta crap out there though I don't know what makes for a good bag, if I should fill it myself, etc.

I'm sure you already checked but there were some decent deals on workout equipment on craiglist/facebook marketplace. Some dude was selling a used olympic set for a real good price but he was down in tacoma :(

ADINSX posted:

Oh I might check this out, I just hate working out at home so much I need a dedicated place to get in the right mindset

It's a pretty cheap investment compared to other workout stuff so I figured even if I end up dropping it i'm not losing that much. Also if gyms even open up it's always nice to supplement lifting with bands.

I have my bag just sitting in the living room which I walk by often and it's eliminated a lot of the skipping I used to do.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 4, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

How have y'all been keeping up with good dietary habits? That's the main thing keeping me from improvement these days.

I'm part of the calorie count gang but I have a very autistic brain that needs to plot out spreadsheets for everything.

The big killer for me in the past has been snacking and i've somewhat solved that problem by stopping myself from buying costco sized bags of junk food. If I want some junk food i'll buy a very small 1-2 serving bag from the store. I mostly get fruits/vegetables for snacks, cut them up into single portion sized servings, and put them in the front of the fridge so it's the first thing I see if I ever go looking for a snack.

Not to say that I completely have gotten rid of all junky food. I have a bunch of chocolate for when i'm in the mood for something sweet :v:.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Also yoga helps your core out, which is nice when you're carrying a computer toucher belly :v:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

barkbell posted:

please work out its good for you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What are you looking for in an app? I had the same issue with apps so just created a spreadsheet to help me keep track of things. A lot of the more hardcore guys at the gym were just using a notebook. So it might be worth doing things manually.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I think the gyms around here are somewhat open? I always a small number of cars in the lot.

I'm sure it's better at smaller gyms but at the larger chains people are absolutely disgusting and don't wipe anything down so i'm very nervous about going back.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Maybe they're closed again, I know Inslee reissued a lockdown a couple months ago.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

syntaxrigger posted:

I bought some resistance bands in hopes I could do my old routine of Back/Biceps, Chest/Triceps, Legs/Shoulders/Abs/Misc for MWF respectively. However my doors do way too much stretching when being used as anchor points that I don't feel comfortable using them in this rent house.

Anyone have any good places for resistance band workouts using little to no anchor points?

You can yourself as an anchor for most things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfSoC-IZMOI

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

did some yoga this morning, it was good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my chakras are opened and I am once again ready to touch computers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KoRMaK posted:

if you have a store near you and are looking for weights, this package from dick's is really really pretty good. i got it even though i already have a bar bcause sourcing the plates alone would be like $380 alone

255 lbs worth of plates plus a 45 lb bar for $300

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fitness-gear-300-lbolympic-weight-set-16fgeu300lbstwth7brb/16fgeu300lbstwth7brb?Product=ProductSuggest

Lmao I was wondering how fast they'd sell out. The only store that has it is about 30 miles away.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

greps of wrath posted:

I’ve been keeping up with my running during this whole thing but my biceps are looking a little sickly. I thought about getting a power tower but should I just go all in on a squat rack and bench? Keep in mind I’ve been paying at least $50/month to access this equipment despite my gym being closed since March

I'd get a rack and a bench, I think think you'll get way more mileage out of them long term.

If you're looking for a cheaper solution resistance bands are very good. You can extend their capabilities with door anchors/platforms.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Man I wish I had space for a rack. Then I could be the type of guy who uses a rack for curls.

I recently picked up a jump rope and incorporated about 10 minutes of it to my workout routine and it's really been kicking my rear end.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

so, I took my bike from the basement and went to cycle for some coffee and ride around the park, it was fun and made me motivated to finally do some exercises on our new fitness mat, I struggled to do a one push up and more than five crunches. Can anybody recommend some basic home training plans for complete couch potatoes? I am legitimately scared right now, I have never been this weak physically, at least stamina is holding up and mentally I have never been better

The reddit bodyweight is a pretty good starting point imo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RustyKnight posted:

current mood:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ADINSX posted:

dang I wish I benched 245 like this little guy here

Benching 245 and blasting tunes on their boombox like an actual champ.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm getting my 2nd shot today. I'm going to wait a month before going back to the gym.

In the meantime though I have started doing yoga on rest days. Hopefully going to unlock my chakras and blow up people dr manhattan style.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

my gym shut down accounts for covid, but i still cancelled and had to remake/resign a new contract

they reopened in may. i reenabled this last week and went on friday. i am fully vaxed for a month+ and they have a mask and distancing policy

during-and-post workout was probably the best i've felt in a year, though my core and legs are still shot, today, Monday

I'm excited about going back to the gym, it's been about a month since my 2nd shot but i'm going to wait another week before going back.

Did you mask up when in the gym?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

I want to get fit but my bipolar says I should eat a bunch of snacks instead. what do I do yospos

Do what I do OP and go the gym so you can eat a bag of black pepper kettle chips in 1 sitting and not feel bad about it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KoRMaK posted:

yea I could barely do any front squat with the clean grip (or anything really) because of the wrist shenanigans.

it's a show off exercise anyway... right? Like, what does it offer that normal squats don't? Ive never understood that so maybe this is a great thread to ask in!

Iirc they both target roughly the same muscle groups although the front squats focus a bit more on the anterior muscles vs the posterior muscles that are activated when you do back squats.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

i've never been able to do cleans or front squats, my body doesn't like to bend that way

Try getting good OP

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

my weight set would be considered pathetic by most lifters' standards (just some dumbbell bars with about 200lb total of plates and a little joint to make them a barbell) but they've been seriously good for me mentally

beats the hell out of my apartment's gym, i'm never going back there

If you want a cheap way to increase the range of your dumbbells you can try incorporating bands.

e: You might not be able to do them exactly like you have been doing in the past but it's a nice way to get some extended mileage out of your dumbbells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZBkN17_G3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-utFXBwG0

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 9, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Went to the gym and lifted some plates today.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I definitely need to find a place that is better than LA Fitness , that place kind of sucks in regards to how many racks they have. The new one i'm going to have like 10 benches though which is nice.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

there's soreness, and then there's first leg day back after a month off where you feel like you have cement thighs

i don't mind the usual doms cause i know its working, but yeesh

I stopped doing explicit leg days for this reason and instead alternate between cardio, deadlifts, and squats everytime I go the gym.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl9ArmXHhO4

Something for you front squat haters.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

i finally feel like i found a position where my wrists aren't completely killing me for 6 sets or so

e: at 100lbs lmao, i really do want to figure out a rack situation eventually

I did some the other day as the cage was open. I think I might incorporate them into my workouts if I can get the cage as my body completely hurt after.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

matti posted:

i need to exercise, my body is not ok

Go to the gym and get ripped brother.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gentle Autist posted:

been hitting the mountain bike hard, going from ‘total lard’ to ‘mildly fit’ is great because the progress is so rapid and obvious. like the first few rides i thought I was gonna die and now I can do 5kms with a 500m rise comfortably (lots of effort, but doable). and it’s only been a few weeks of riding a couple of times a week. it’s very motivating and addictive, beginning to ride every day now :woop:

That rocks, once you hit that point you're golden. I feel like poo poo whenever I don't go to the gym.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

barkbell posted:

i love to work out

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

2022 will be the year of big gains

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

no that's me checking my weight after eating like a pig since christmas

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is now the new linux thread.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

If you can lift more than 1 bag of pet food or cat litter you're a freak.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

just got back from the gym, feelin pretty swole bro

this but 2 hours ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

c lift s: pre covid my baseline for deadlifts was 3 plates (315lb/142.8kg, meaning the minimum i would do in a set of 3) but lockdown + omicron + holiday binging set me way back to start over in january

we’re back baby, wish i could improve my grip without using tape/powder though, i get mad calluses on my palms

hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

yeah i mixed grip i do one set left hand over and one set left hand under, ill look into the hook grip

Hook grip is great, it's what I learned deadlifting with. I was told especially at the higher weights that you have a pretty high chance of tearing your bicep tendons with a mixed grip.