Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i fondly remember 2020 as the year when number completely detached from reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7sBsBHdCk

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dustcat posted:

i fondly remember 2020 as the year when number completely detached from reality

Number has never cared about regular people or the economy. Number only reflects how good companies are doing, and the largest companies are doing better than ever.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Lazy rear end OP

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
post good content from the old thread and ill put it in the OP

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Number has never cared about regular people or the economy. Number only reflects how good companies are doing, and the largest companies are doing better than ever.

companies aren't doing good either, it's only the largest ones that are doing any good, and some of the "largest" like tesla are not even large AND are not doing good

stonks are artificially inflated by made up money, making actual valuation impossible

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Number will be bad this year
Calling it now

nah, they didn't manage to do any of the poison pills and dems are going to have the senate, number'll be fine
the rest of us though, not so much

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

thread spent 4 years waiting for the crash only for the feds to do 1 neat trick

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

On that note:

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1335279637438599176

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1335682226823032837

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

anime was right posted:

post good content from the old thread and ill put it in the OP

put up links to

michael roberts: https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/blog/
naked capitalism: https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CubeTheory posted:

I am going to kill number

how can you kill that which is immortal

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pretty amazing

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Yes, good, good. Work together as a community to build a solid OP for the thread. It keeps it up to date, consolidates the thread identity, and makes it easier for new people to join in the conversation.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
these guys need to hook me up with some of that cash!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I'm liking hobo sven. it's a good look

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

lol this poo poo owns, amazing

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Relevant Tangent posted:

how can you kill that which is immortal

I am a McCloud (Macleod, archaic). I shall remove numbers head and grow stronger through the Quickening.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/status/1335277754045042692 this is the most eye opening one

lmao they really printed their way out of the recession

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
we're going to see the collapse of the dollar lol

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

Not if we destroy the rest of the world first! *taps head*

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i don't understand what you're supposed to do after you start printing money at that rate. we picked up the pace after 2008 crash and never stopped and then threw it into overdrive in march and continue to increase

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

rip doomsday Econ long live doomsday Econ

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

thats not candy posted:

i don't understand what you're supposed to do after you start printing money at that rate. we picked up the pace after 2008 crash and never stopped and then threw it into overdrive in march and continue to increase

rich people will buy up all the assets, inflating the prices of everything rich people buy (houses, stock) and make it even less attainable for normal people to purchase.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

one would hope so but it's basically on china to destroy it at this point

it's still used for all global financial transactions, defacto petrodollar, and has wormed it's way into everyone countrie's cranial lobe

feds still have a lot of printing they can do as long as the printed money goes directly into the rich people's wallet and stays there as funny speculative commodity investment money

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

thats not candy posted:

u keep doing it, it owns.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

thats not candy posted:

I think the only realistic way "out" is to switch currencies

in totally unrelated news, bitcoin is exploding in valuation after institutional money is pouring into a new tether derivative or whatever

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

thats not candy posted:

sounds like a problem for some other fuckin loser down the line, keep 'er running

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

not if every other country does the same, which seems to be the plan

inflate every currency but make sure the rich get all of the newly created money so they can buy people's houses with it

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
how soon before bread starts costing $100?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Xaris posted:

one would hope so but it's basically on china to destroy it at this point

it's still used for all global financial transactions, defacto petrodollar, and has wormed it's way into everyone countrie's cranial lobe

feds still have a lot of printing they can do as long as the printed money goes directly into the rich people's wallet and stays there as funny speculative commodity investment money

its not going to happen overnight, but chinese leadership is now comitted to going from an export oriented economy to being the biggest consumer market in the world and its economic center. they're letting the yuan appreciate and are pushing for it to eventually become the new world reserve currency

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Radirot posted:

how soon before bread starts costing $100?

pete wont be president until 2029

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

this is why I wrote "never forget that most of the money was created within the last 10 years and handed to rich people with no strings attached while you were working your rear end off and nursing your mental illnesses" on my cock in permanent marker

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mila kunis posted:

its not going to happen overnight, but chinese leadership is now comitted to going from an export oriented economy to being the biggest consumer market in the world and its economic center. they're letting the yuan appreciate and are pushing for it to eventually become the new world reserve currency

yeah they're definitely the best positioned to replace usd and its moving forward. america can't just stop making GBS threads itself to death non-stop and printing trillions of dollars 4 jeff bezos

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
thing seems bad

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
when has any society ever “printed money” that went anywhere other than “the pockets of the rich”

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
https://i.imgur.com/BtgZ6Ce.mp4

mandatory marx mandate

guys are we in one of those crazy spikes up uP UP? lol

bagual has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jan 4, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

when has any society ever “printed money” that went anywhere other than “the pockets of the rich”

new deal. for the most part

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The ECB has also been conducting a bunch of but the Euro still has been beating out the dollar just because of how much of a mess the US is at this point and it doesn't look like it is going to end anytime soon (look at our vaccination rates). Also, the RMB is very quickly becoming a reserve currency, and it is speculated it may be already 4-5% of global currency trading already.

That said, the market will probably continue to go up because the US has no plan B and that is only going to cause more of an issue later down the line since the stakes are only going to get higher. It is good for the market in the short term though...so I guess party on.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Jan 4, 2021

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Let’s compromise: Let’s have just 1 month of hyperinflation. No more debt for everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

new deal. for the most part

lol if that’s the historical precedent then best stock up on beans and yuans now