Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Belated, but here goes:

HM: Darby Allin vs Anthony Bowens
MOTYC: TayJay vs Penelope Ford & The Bunny
HM: Cody Rhodes vs Ethan Page

All from AEW Rampage 31.12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

SG Bamboo posted:

NOAH The New Year January 1st
MOTYC
KENTA and Sugiura-gun (Takashi Sugiura and Kazushi Sakuraba) vs Daiki Inaba and The Tough (Masa Kitamiya and Yoshiki Inamura)
- Kenta is home, nobody is safe. This was a bunch of beefy boys doing beefy poo poo which I love, but then you add Kenta to the mix doing weird Kenta poo poo it raised the enjoyment exponentially, the match absolutely ruled. I actually burst out laughing partway through the match when Kenta casually dodged out the way of Inamura's attack and was lovely about it, so less than a minute later Inamura completely blinsided him with a Pounce that sent him straight flying into the ropes.

Kenoh (c) vs Kaito Kiyomiya - GHC National Championship
- Kiyomiya's career rival once again stiffs the poo poo out of him but the Supernova isn't going down without a fight, he's got that youthful energy to shrug off loving bombs. This was painful to watch, Kenoh's style is so visceral. When he kicks Kaito full speed in the side of the head, we at home feel it.

Katsuhiko Nakajima (c) vs Go Shiozaki - GHC Heavyweight Championship
- They did the loving Misawa/Kobashi suplex bump off the ramp, and that was only a small part of how hosed this match was. Insanity, make time to watch the top half of this show as it was tops

HM
M's Alliance (Keiji Mutoh and Naomichi Marufuji) (c) vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki and Masato Tanaka) - GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
- Mutoh was able to catch his breath while the three other guys did some great stuff, so he could come in and do the cool things when it mattered. Good stuff

nth to all these

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jerusalem posted:

I'm going to close this thread at 6pm Eastern (so just over 12 hours from now) and then make the 2022 thread. If you want any votes to be recorded/counted for 2021 wrestling, that's the cutoff! As last year, any 2022 nominations made here will be counted for the new thread.

thank you for another fun year! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No problem :)

Also, thanks to Punch McLightning's most recent nominations, Stardom has doubled its MOTYCs to....2!

AEW is 3 short of 100 MOTYCs for the year, but has more than doubled its closest rival New Japan which has been the dominant promotion for MOTYCs the last few years. New Japan still managed a respectable 46 MOTYCs though, which basically works out to a little less than one MOTYC per week.... which is pretty good! The benefit of Wrestle Universe being such good value really paid off, NOAH, DDT and TJPW have managed their highest MOTYC counts ever thanks to people being able to see their shows relatively easily at a relatively cheap price. I think that is probably what "hurt" Stardom (they're doing great business wise, by all accounts, but what's REALLY important is some random internet forum's poll!), if you want to watch their shows you have to pay out a monthly fee plus PPVs to watch them and ONLY them. New Japan at least pumps out a huge amount of content to make it seem worth it for New Japan World, but on top of them, Wrestle Universe and what I assume are a bunch of people also paying monthly fees for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Peacock (:laugh:) etc, I imagine that adding ANOTHER just to see maybe one or two shows a month might be a bit much for some.

Anyway, there's a little under 2 hours left before the thread closes, but here is the current tally:

MOTY by Promotion:

AEW: 97 | NJPW: 46 | TJPW: 23 | DDT: 16 | Gatoh Move ChocoPro: 10 | NOAH: 9 | CyberFight Festival: 5 | GCW: 4 | IMPACT: 4 | Hana Kimura Memorial Show: 2 | SEAdLINNNG: 2 | NWA: 2 | NXT (WWE): 2 | WWE: 2 | Stardom: 2 | AAA: 1 | Dragon Gate: 1 | FWME: 1 | GAEA: 1 | GLEAT: 1 | Ice Ribbon: 1 | ROH: 1 | Sendai Girls: 1 |

WMOTY by Promotion:

WWE: 29 | AEW: 4 | NJPW: 4 | GCW: 1 | IMPACT: 1 | NXT: 1

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's certainly been to Wrestle Universe's benefit that for one subscription cost you can get access to "wrestling" as a broad category that includes:

Traditional strong style puroresu. (Noah)
High workrate wrestling with a comedy inflection and hardcore matches. (DDT)
Idol-inflected character driven joshi (TJPW)
High energy sports-entertainment style wrestling (Ganbare)
Traditional joshi wrestling (Ganbare Joshi)
Lots Of Other Bullshit (Rojo, crossovers with Zero1, Cyber Fight Festival, Gake No Fuchi, etc)

I really hope that the loss of Mr Haku doesn't hurt them too much on the English language accessibility.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, Stardom adds their PPVs to Stardom World about a week after the event. The Queendom show is up right now.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lamuella posted:

I really hope that the loss of Mr Haku doesn't hurt them too much on the English language accessibility.

Staring blanky at the 10 minute promo that starts every DDT show

Also train of the day

:negative:

But for real, Wrestle Universe is the best value in streaming, the sheer amount and variance on offer is amazing

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I nominated matches from 31 promotions for HM or MOTYC this year:

2CW, AAA, AAW, AEW, AJPW, Beyond, C4, Colega Pro, Dragongate, Enjoy Wrestling, Empire State, Freelance Underground, Gatoh Move, GCW, GSW, Impact, IWTV, Limitless, MLW, NJPW, NOAH, PWF, RoH, Stardom, The Crash, West Coast Pro, WWE, WWR+, wXw, YMZ, ZERO1

I nominated about 540 matches for HM and 110 for MOTYC.

My top 10 wrestlers by stars awarded are a pretty normie list, in order from 1-10: Bryan Danielson, Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Shingo Takagi, Kota Ibushi, Kenny Omega, Sanada, Tomohiro Ishii, Darby Allin, & Rey Fenix.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Punch McLightning posted:

I nominated matches from 31 promotions for HM or MOTYC this year:

2CW, AAA, AAW, AEW, AJPW, Beyond, C4, Colega Pro, Dragongate, Enjoy Wrestling, Empire State, Freelance Underground, Gatoh Move, GCW, GSW, Impact, IWTV, Limitless, MLW, NJPW, NOAH, PWF, RoH, Stardom, The Crash, West Coast Pro, WWE, WWR+, wXw, YMZ, ZERO1

I nominated about 540 matches for HM and 110 for MOTYC.

My top 10 wrestlers by stars awarded are a pretty normie list, in order from 1-10: Bryan Danielson, Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson, Shingo Takagi, Kota Ibushi, Kenny Omega, Sanada, Tomohiro Ishii, Darby Allin, & Rey Fenix.

Honestly, mate, you were a powerhouse this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2022 Thread is now live, thanks to everybody who nominated, 2nded, 3rded etc, or spoke up/argued/fought for raising awareness of some very cool matches!