Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Still bullshit that J-Ru never counted this :colbert:

yeah, that was a special show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
26th December
DDT Never Mind 2021
KO-D Openweight Title
Konosuke Takeshita vs Yuji Okabayashi

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
26th December
DDT Never Mind 2021
Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi, Saki Akai & Yukio Sakaguchi) vs Itoh Respect Army (Chris Brookes, Maki Itoh & Minoru Suzuki)

This is loving phenomenal. Funny, violent, insane intensity between Suzuki & Sakaguchi, MiSu tagging out with full chops, it's exactly what this match should be.

Senerio posted:

MOTYC: CDK vs Best Bros(c) for the Asia Dream Tag Titles ChocoPro #187, 12/31 local time.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Takanori Ito vs. Shuji Ishikawa - GLEAT Ver. 2 (12/30)

This was so good. Aggressive young hothead vs lumbering giant. The best Shuji match in years.

nth all that

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Takanori Ito vs. Shuji Ishikawa - GLEAT Ver. 2 (12/30)

This was so good. Aggressive young hothead vs lumbering giant. The best Shuji match in years.

Nth.

And I'll HM to Minoru Suzuki match from the same show.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

HM: 12/05 Black Terry vs. Mr. Condor - Zona 23

I’m not going to go as far as the Segunda Caida guys but this was really good. They’re too old to be doing this, on the one hand, and it felt exploitative; on the other hand, they’re a couple of super-experienced veterans who knew exactly what they were doing. And there’s one moment when it felt so real that even the junkyard crowd was scared. On IWTV, about an hour into the show.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Giulia vs. Saya Iida, Stardom Nagoya Two Days, Feb 27
HM: Mayu Iwatani vs. Yoshiko, Stardom 10th Anniversary, March 3

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
26th December
DDT Never Mind 2021
Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi, Saki Akai & Yukio Sakaguchi) vs Itoh Respect Army (Chris Brookes, Maki Itoh & Minoru Suzuki)

nthing this, I finally admitted to myself I wouldn't get around to watching the whole DDT show so I just put this on and it was a loving amazing match, felt like i got an entire show's worth of wrestling right there. genuinely think this is my MOTY, just gave me a level of joy nothing else I've seen this year comes close to

(will try to watch that KO-D match and then maybe all of GLEAT to ring in the new year)

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: John Morrison vs. Ricochet, Raw, July 12

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Every time I think i'm out they pull me back in, guess i'm not done with 2021 just yet

GLEAT Ver.2 December 30th
MOTYC
Shuji Ishikawa vs Takanori Ito
- Holy poo poo Ishikawa is a fuckin monster

HM
Minoru Suzuki and Hikaru Sato vs Yu Iizuka and Tetsuya Izuchi
- Wily vets vs young guns, Sato rules and it's cool to see Suzuki show off a bit. Iizuka continues to channel Volk Han, and Izuchi's spirit once he started bleeding from the mouth was great to see

Chihiro Hashimoto vs Michiko Miyagi
- It's so fun to watch Big Hash maul people

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Las Fresas de Egoistas (Asuka & Makoto) vs. Nanae Takahashi & Hiroyo Matsumoto (c) for the Beyond the SEA Tag Team Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWL082tEyQ

SEAdLINNNG tag title matches are the matches I look forward to most in the world and this one did not disappoint me. It did drag a little toward the end and it wasn't as good as the match where Nanae & Hiroyo won the tag titles but it was a suitable end to Nanae's run in SEAdLINNNG, and continue to cement Makoto as a real fantastic wrestler as she once again was the star of the match. Also Asuka has new gear now.

MOTYC: Arisa Nakajima vs. Ryo Mizunami (c) for the Beyond the SEA Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMibXkdz33k

SEAd have started billing Nakajima as the "Violence Queen" and she absolutely earned that title in this match. One of the most violent matches of the year, and the crowd broke the rules on several occasions to gasp at what they were doing to each other. Easily makes my top 10 MOTY list.

Nth to both of these as well. Miyu Yamashita may have the most womens MOTYC noms from me, but Arisa Nakajima is in a league of her own. So chuffed every time I see she once won a champ of the month poll

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 1, 2022

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
29th December
Stardom Dream Queendom
Giulia vs Konami

Giulia remains extremely good, fitting Match for Konami to ride off into the sunset on (for now at least), really good match.

HM
29th December
Stardom Dream Queendom
Wonder Of Stardom Title
Tam Nakano vs Saya Kamitani

MOTYC
29th December
Stardom Dream Queendom
World Of Stardom Title
Utami Hayashishita vs Syuri

Look, you should watch this urgently. It's tremendous. I'm not going to say it's the women's match of the year because I still have SEAD & IR shows from this week to catch & because I want to let this settle before making bold declarations. But it's in the discussion. They do some loving ridiculous poo poo but they also nail all the little things too. It's fantastic.

You can't ask much more for your big end of year show to be main evented by your 2 best workers of the year for your top Singles strap as pay off to a great match they had earlier in the year.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
MOTYC: Tayjay vs Bunny/Ford, AEW Rampage 12/31

holy poo poo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC: Bunny & Penelope Ford vs. Anna Jay & Tay Conti, AEW Rampage 12/31

HOLY loving poo poo THIS MATCH RULED

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo

Nth this was INSANITY

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MOTYC: Anna Jay & Tay Conti vs. The Bunny & Penelope Ford in a Street Fight - AEW Rampage 12/31

Holy loving poo poo this match was INSANE

gripebomb
Dec 13, 2006

I wanted to fight the world.

- Eddie Kingston

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Anna Jay & Tay Conti vs. The Bunny & Penelope Ford in a Street Fight - AEW Rampage 12/31

Nth! What a fight!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo

good god almighty nth

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

nth

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo

Nth Jesus christ

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo

Nth. What the absolute gently caress

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah this match loving slapped

Just let the women do all the deathmatches

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo

nth.

Loved it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Reminder now that we're right at the end of December:

Like last year, this year I'll keep the thread open for a few days in January to allow people to get in nominations for stuff that aired in the last few days of December (or indeed the entirety of 2021). I'll close the thread and start the 2022 one just before Wrestle Kingdom Night 1 starts on January 4th. Any nominations for 2022 matches during this interim period can be made in this the 2021 thread, and I'll keep track of them and include any successful nominations in the 2022 thread when it goes up.

For now, here's a reminder of matches from 2021 that are near to MOTYC or WMOTYC status, in case you want to check those matches out and toss them a vote one way or the other. I'm not including near HMs because there's a shitload of them!

(ALMOST) Matches of the Year:

01/01 | Emi Sakura vs. Antonio Honda vs. Rin Rin vs. Obihiro Sayaka vs. Chon Shiryu in a New Year's Deathmatch - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #77 (6 votes)
01/11 | Mei Suruga vs. Shinno Hagane - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro LIVE #80 (6 votes)
02/10 | Nanae Takahashi & Arisa Nakajima vs. Momo Watanabe & Saya Iida - SEAdLINNNG Shibkiba Night (5 votes)
02/10 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs. SHO for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Hiroshima (6 votes)
02/11 | Kota Ibushi (C) vs. SANADA for the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championships - NJPW New Beginning in Hiroshima (5 votes)
02/23 | Eruption(c) (Kazusada Higuchi and Yukio Sakaguchi) vs. Sauna Club (Konosuke Takeshita and MAO) - DDT Friendship, Hard Work, Victory in Nagoya (6 votes)
02/26 | Jon Moxley (C) vs. KENTA for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship - NJPW New Beginning USA (6 votes)
03/03 | Giulia (C) vs. Tam Nakano in a Hair vs. Hair match for the Wonder Of Stardom Championship - Stardom All Star Dream Cinderella (6 votes)
03/07 | Shun Skywalker vs. Kaito Ishida for the Open the Dream Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Championship Gate Night 2 (5 votes)
03/18 | Switchblade Jay White vs. David Finlay in the New Japan Cup Quarterfinals - NJPW New Japan Cup (6 votes)
04/04 | Suzuki-Gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru & El Desperado) (C) vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH) for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles - NJPW Sakura Genesis (5 votes)
04/28 | Orange Cassidy vs. Penta El Zero M - AEW Dynamite (5 votes)
05/15 | Abismo Negro Jr vs. Aramis vs. El Hijo del Vikingo vs. Latigo vs. Villano III Jr - AAA (5 votes)
05/30 | Best Bros, EGG TART, Beauty As Is, Othello, Chon Shiryu & Lulupencil, and X (Mystery Team) in a Gauntlet Match - Gatoh Move/Chocopro (6 votes)
06/11 | The Young Bucks & Brandon Cutler vs. Penta El Zero M, PAC & Eddie Kingston - AEW Dynamite (5 votes)
06/19 | Miu Watanabe vs. Pom Harajuku vs. Hyper Misao - TJPW Spring Tour ~ The Bullet ~ (6 votes)
06/26 | Shinya Aoki (C) vs. Chris Brookes vs. Shunma Katsumata vs. Yukio Naya for the Ironman Heavymetalweight Title - DDT Shiro no Yu Presents Shiro no Yu Street Wrestling (5 votes)
07/04 | The Brahman Brothers vs. Gabai ji-chan & Kikutaro - FMWE Independence Day (5 votes)
07/11 | Naomichi Marufuji (C) vs. Takashi Sugiura for the GHC Heavyweight Championship - NOAH Cross Over 2021 in Sendai (6 votes)
07/17 | Kenny Omega (C) vs. Sami Callihan in a No DQ match for the Impact World Championship - Impact Slammiversary (5 votes)
07/22 | Yu Iizuka vs. Takura Nomura in a UWF Rules match - GLEAT (5 votes)
07/31 | Dragon Dia, La Estrella, Jason Lee (C) vs. SB KENTo, Diamante, Dia Inferno for the Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Kobe World Pro-Wrestling Festival (5 votes)
07/31 | Shun Skywalker (C) vs. Kzy for the Open the Dream Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Kobe World Pro-Wrestling Festival (5 votes)
08/01 | Shun Skywalker (C) vs. YAMATO for the Open the Dream Gate Championship - Dragon Gate Speed Star Final (5 votes)
08/01 | CHAOS (Yoshi-Hashi, Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii) (C) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi and Zack Sabre Jr) for the NEVER Openweight Trios Titles - NJPW Summer Struggle (5 votes)
08/13 | Miro (C) vs. Fuego Del Sol for the TNT Championship - AEW Rampage (5 votes)
08/14 | Lucha Bros vs. El Vikingo/Laredo Kid vs. Black Taurus and Brian Cage - AAA Triplemania (6 votes)
08/21 | Yuki Ueno (C) vs. Daisuke Sasaki for the DDT Universal Championship - DDT Wrestle Peter Pan (5 votes)
08/30 | Charlotte Flair vs. Nia Jax - WWE Raw (6 votes)
09/04 | SHO vs YOH - NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam Night 1 (5 votes)
09/04 | PBR Ladder 2 Ring Fuckfest - GCW The Art of War Games (5 votes)
09/17 | Ron Funches vs. Tony Deppen - GCW Highest in the Room (6 votes)
09/17 | Minoru Suzuki vs. Jonathan Gresham - GCW Highest in the Room (5 votes)
09/24 | SANADA vs. Taichi - NJPW G1 Climax 31 Night 4 (6 votes)
09/29 | Kazuchika Okada vs. YOSHI-HASHI - NJPW G1 Climax 31 Night 6 (6 votes)
11/24 | Hikari Noa (C) vs. Miu Watanabe for the International Princess Title - TJPW All Rise (6 votes)
12/05 | Katsuhiko Nakajima & Kenoh vs. Go Shiozaki & Kaito Kiyomiya - NOAH THE WARROAD (6 votes)
12/18 | Miyu Yamashita vs. Yuki Arai - TJPW Hustle! Wrestle! Nagoya Castle! (5 votes)
12/25 | Sammy Guevara (C) vs. Cody Rhodes for the TNT Championship - AEW Rampage (5 votes)
12/26 | Konosuke Takeshita (C) vs. Yuji Okabayashi for the- KO-D Openweight Title - DDT Never Mind (5 votes)

(ALMOST) Worst Matches of the Year:

02/21 | Roman Reigns (C) vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Elimination Chamber (4 votes)
03/21 | Drew McIntyre vs. Sheamus in a No Holds Barred match - WWE Fastlane (4 votes)
08/21 | Drew McIntyre vs. Jinder Mahal - WWE Summerslam (4 votes)
10/09 | Miu Watanabe & Yuki Arai vs. Aja Kong & Moka Miyamoto - TJPW Wrestle Princess 2 (4 votes)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Nth and an HM for Cody vs All Ego Ethan Page from the same Rampage.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jerusalem posted:

Nth. Jesus Christ.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sportsgenius86 posted:

hell yes it did

and

HM: Darby Allin vs. Anthony Bowens, AEW Rampage 12/31

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Jerusalem posted:

Nth. Oh my god. Oh my GOD!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: El Desperado vs. Hiromu Takahashi, Best of the Super Junior, 11/21
HM: Joe Coffey vs. Rampage Brown, NXT UK, 8/26
HM: Drew McIntyre vs. Sheamus vs. Damian Priest, Raw, 8/30

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flatluigi posted:

holy poo poo

Seconded, absolute heater

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

(ALMOST) Matches of the Year:
11/24 | Hikari Noa (C) vs. Miu Watanabe for the International Princess Title - TJPW All Rise (6 votes)

nthing unless I've already nthed

e: and how did this get here:

Jerusalem posted:

(ALMOST) Worst Matches of the Year:
10/09 | Miu Watanabe & Yuki Arai vs. Aja Kong & Moka Miyamoto - TJPW Wrestle Princess 2 (4 votes)

giving this a MOTYC nod instead to spite 4 people

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Penguin Patrol posted:

match ruled, people were sad Miu didn't swing Kong

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

First nominations of the new year

ZERO1 Happy New Year January 1st
MOTYC
Fuminori Abe(c) vs Shoki Kitamura - ZERO1 Junior Double Crown Title
- Two insane young men beat the gently caress out of each other

Takashi Sugiura (c) vs Masato Tanaka - ZERO1 World Heavyweight Title
- Two insane old men beat the gently caress out of each other. It was crazy enough the previous match, but these guys are either side of 50, saying nothing of the crazy poo poo Tanaka has done during his career

HM
ASUKA & Takuya Sugawara vs Genta Hiriki & Tsugutaka Sato
- Asuka was the only one I knew going into this, but all four impressed. Deliciously stiff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Penguin Patrol posted:

unless I've already nthed

You have indeed :)

Penguin Patrol posted:

giving this a MOTYC nod instead to spite 4 people

Happily it already made the MOTYC list awhile back, but yes it also got votes for WMOTYC too.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

sportsgenius86 posted:

+1!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Sweet Jesus yes. I don't think the crowd ever stopped roaring. What a loving brawl.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Darby Allin vs. Anthony Bowens, AEW Rampage, 31/12
MOTYC: TayJay vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford, AEW Rampage, 31/12
HM: Cody Rhodes vs. Ethan Page, AEW Rampage, 31/12

Fantastic way to close out the wrestling year

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

HM: Darby Allin vs. Anthony Bowens, AEW Rampage, 31/12
MOTYC: TayJay vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford, AEW Rampage, 31/12
HM: Cody Rhodes vs. Ethan Page, AEW Rampage, 31/12

Fantastic way to close out the wrestling year

Nth to all of this. Hell of a night of the ol' professional wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: KENTA, Takashi Sugiura & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Masa Kitamiya, Daiki Inaba & Yoshiki Inamura - NOAH The New Year 1/1

This was so much fun. KENTA is such a dick and his utter disdain for Inamura's anger was just a delight to watch.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

SG Bamboo posted:

HM
ASUKA & Takuya Sugawara vs Genta Hiriki & Tsugutaka Sato
- Asuka was the only one I knew going into this, but all four impressed. Deliciously stiff

Nth (still need to catch the top two matches), and...

Jerusalem posted:

HM: KENTA, Takashi Sugiura & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Masa Kitamiya, Daiki Inaba & Yoshiki Inamura - NOAH The New Year 1/1

This was so much fun. KENTA is such a dick and his utter disdain for Inamura's anger was just a delight to watch.

Nth!! This was great and I need more of this, stat.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Gonna go MOTYC

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

oh god, 2nd

it's stiff, and there's HATE. make sure you watch this match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

nth I predict this will be my match of the night