Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

WK 15:

HM: Tekkers/GoD, KENTA/Kojima, Tana/O’Khan.
MOTYC: Naito/Ibushi, Hiromu/ELP.

And still not rating Ospreay matches, although from a pure in-ring standpoint you’re certainly all correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Punch McLightning posted:

Wrestle Kingdom Night 2

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Taiji Ishimori
MOTYC: Jay White vs. Kota Ibushi

Nth, also MOTYC to Takagi/Cobb.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

HM
12/1
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate
Open The Twin Gate titles
RED (BxB Hulk & KAI) vs Masquerade (Jason Lee & Kota Minoura)

Nth, that was fun.

HM: 2020-01-12 Dragon Gate MASQUERADE (La Estrella & Shun Skywalker) & Dragon Kid vs. Kagetora, Shuji Kondo & YAMATO

That kind of fast paced junior six man match is exactly what makes me happy. Probably benefited from the wrestlers mostly being new to me.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Dimebags Brain posted:

HM: MASQUERADE (Shun Skywalker, Jason Lee, Kota Minoura, and La Estrella) vs. R.E.D. (BxB Hulk, KAI, Kaito Ishida, and Hip Hop Kikuta)

The Masquerade team are really really good together. Don't think I've seen a 4/5 man match from the unit that hasn't been at least HM worthy.

forkboy84 posted:

HM
13th January
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate
Open The Triangle Gate Titles
RED (Kazma Sakamoto, SB KENTo & Takashi Yoshida) vs Natural Vibes (Genki Horiguchi, Kzy & Susumu Yokosuka)

Nth on these two. Kid/YAMATO was good but I think it needed the five minutes it didn’t get, was just a little bit one-sided for me.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: You Are Cordially Invited

With no promotions running a bunch of wrestlers from the BritWres scene including a few familiar faces come together to create a cinematic match full of action, violence, surprises and wacky hijinks to create something quite weird yet wonderful. It's only 25 mins long and definitely worth your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_m1TAgds9A

Nth. That made me want to watch more BritWres.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi & BUSHI vs SHO & Master Wato NJPW Road to the New Beginning 17.01

This was MOTYC level whenever Hiromu and SHO were in the ring together and very solid otherwise, so I'll split it down the middle and give a HM.

Also nth. Wato is actually developing, this is nice to see.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (C) vs. El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Titles - NJPW Road to the New Beginning 1/23

Ridiculously entertaining match with a truly bizarre (but great) tail section, well worth watching.

Nth, this was hilarious.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Catch-up:

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs SHO NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima 2/10
HM: Thunder Rosa vs Leyla Hirsch AEW Dynamite 2/10
MOTYC: Kenny Omega & KENTA vs Jon Moxley & Lance Archer AEW Dynamite 2/10
HM: CHAOS (Ishii, Goto & Yoshi-Hashi) vs Bullet Club (Jay White, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima 2/11
MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs SANADA NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima 2/11

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

AEW Women's Tournament - Japanese Side February 15th
HM

Yuka Sakazaki vs Mei Suruga
Maki Itoh vs Ryo Mizunami

Nth on these two and edit: MOTYC for Veny vs Emi Sakura, that was really strong.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

HM: 2021-02-26 NJPW New Beginning USA Ren Narita vs. Chris Dickinson

Not fancy but really convincing. Enjoyed this a ton, good selling, hard chops.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Jon Moxley (C) vs. KENTA for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship - NJPW New Beginning USA 2/26

Really, really good match that was really only lacking a crowd to react to the good poo poo going on in the ring. And the ending with KENTA flipping off Moxley and going,"gently caress YOUUUUU, MOXLEYYYYY!" before being put down was :kiss:

Nth.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MOTYC: Guerillas of Destiny (C) vs. Dangerous Tekkers for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles - NJPW Road to Dominion 6/1

Tekkers wrestling their best style of match, ZSJ doing more than face in peril, yep.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

HM: El Desperado vs. YOH, NJPW Dominion, 07/06
MOTYC: Jeff Cobb vs. Kota Ibushi, NJPW Dominion, 07/06
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Shingo Takagi, NJPW Dominion, 07/06

:stare:

Nth.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Lots to nominate all from wrestle grandslam

Motyc : el desperado v Robbie eagles
Motyc : okada v Cobb
Motyc : lij v szg
Motyc : shingo v tana

I can't argue with any of this, nth to these four. Especially the HW tag title match; Taichi and Zack have been setting up the flow of that match for literally a year. Also some really good callbacks to the Naito/ZSJ G1 match last year.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

HM: Dark Order vs. The Elite, Dynamite 7/28

Nth.

HM: Jericho vs. Nick Gage, Dynamite 7/28. Really enjoyed it, outcome wasn’t in doubt, coulda used more plunder.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Summer Struggle August 1st

Spoilers! Although the YL match results probably don't count as spoilers.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

HM
August 7th
SCI Invitational

AC Mack vs. Jeremy Wyatt

Excellent storytelling from some pretty decent beef.

Daniel Garcia vs. Jaden Newman

The kids are alright. Room to improve but they were both really smooth and showed their athleticism without being high fliers.

Tuned into this randomly, but that’s a nice couple of matches to randomly watch.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Moose NJPW Resurgence 14.08

BEEF BEEF BEEF WE'VE GOT ALL THE BEEF RIGHT HERE STEP RIGHT UP STEP RIGHT UP

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Resurgence August 15th (or maybe 14th still over there idk)
HM
Lance Archer (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - IWGP US Championship
- Not as good as Tana's usual big matches, but Archer played the unstoppable force well

Nth on these two.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lamuella posted:

HM: Daniel Garcia vs Matt Sydal. AEW Dark Elevation August 19th.

Red. loving. Death.

MOTYC for me. A sprint but so crisp all the way through.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Benne posted:

WMOTYC: Alexa Bliss vs. Eva Marie, WWE SummerSlam 8/21

DarkstarIV posted:

WMOTYC: Bianca Belair vs Becky Lynch, WWE Summerslam 2021.

Nth to these!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Lid posted:

motyc walter v ilja

Nth!!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Ryohei Oiwa vs Kosei Futjia NJPW Summer Struggle 25.07

HM: Ryohei Oiwa vs Kosei Fujita NJPW Summer Struggle 25.08

2024 G1 to be submission wins only IMHO.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Rampage 9/03
HM: Malakai Black vs Lee Johnson

Lamuella posted:

HM: Daniel Garcia vs Josh Alexander, New Japan Strong September 3rd.

Nth on both of these. They’re a great pair of matches: newcomer vs. violent veteran in both cases, but positioned and wrestled really differently. I love the variety wrestling brings.

I was also struck by Garcia’s versatility. He’s telling a very different story vs. Alexander than he was in, say, his match against Moxley on AEW, but he’s great in both.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam September 4th
HM
SHO vs YOH
- Sho was definitely the more impressive of the two here, but Yoh showed enough by the end that i'm hopeful he won't get completely Janettey'd. The finish especially was a great touch, though the post match left something to be desired

Jeff Cobb vs Kazuchika Okada
- Was very good in parts, but just didn't grab me like their match in July did

Nth on these, and I’m gonna…

MotYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kota Ibushi - IWGP US Heavyweight Championship

The closing sequence worked for me, and they both got to do those things they do so well. Also it didn’t go on forever.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Burn Down Canberra posted:

This is from two wrestle grandslam shows 4/9 and 5/9

Motyc : Robbie v hiromu - I'll probably be the only one nominating this but no match this year will get a reaction out of me like this

Hm: okada v cobbo

Nth on these two.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

HM: Kingston vs Miro
MOTYC: Baker vs Statlander
MOTYC: Young Bucks vs Lucha Bros
HM: CM Punk vs Darby Allin

Nth, and I liked Cage/Omega enough to say...

MOTYC: Christian Cage vs Kenny Omega

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Malakai Black vs Dustin Rhodes
HM: Jon Moxley vs Minoru Suzuki

All from AEW Dynammite 08.09

Nth on these.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Andrade El Idolo vs. PAC, AEW Rampage, 10/09
HM: Britt Baker/Reba/Jamie Hayter vs. Ruby Soho/Kris Statlander/Riho, AEW Rampage, 10/09

Nth, quite good.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Adam Cole vs Frankie Kazarian
HM: Dante Martin & Matt Sydal vs FTR
HM: Darby Allin vs Shawn Spears

All from AEW Dynamite 15.09.

Nth on these. I went back and forth on Cargill/Hirsch but Cargill's not really there yet. She will be though.

Dango Bango posted:

HM: Lucha Bros vs. Butcher & Blade, AEW Dynamite 9/17

I want to nominate this for a MOTYC based on the ending alone. But realistically it's a solid HM. Great match.

Nth to both the nomination and the ending.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Zack Sabre Jr. G1 Climax 31 18.09

Fantastic match between two fantastic dickheads with fantastic chemistry. Just absolute brutality.

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Tomohiro Ishii - NJPW G1 Climax 31 Night 9/18

Magnificent from start to finish, holy poo poo. Two insane square blocks of beef apparently prepared to kill each other for 2 points, and the world is a better place for it. At one point I just started laughing in awe because I couldn't believe how incredible what I was seeing was. Holy poo poo.

Nth. I love that you could think either of these were the best match of the night, and either way you’re right.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM: Ishii vs Coughlin- New Japan Strong 9-18

Ishii good and Coughlin is gonna be a good hoss someday

Nth!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Pylons posted:

G1 Climax 31 9/19

HM: Taichi vs. Hirooki Goto
MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Nth for these. Haven’t watched the other two yet.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I got bored during my week off and finished up a first cut at some code to parse Jerusalem's lists. If this is in any way stepping on your toes, let me know and I'll cut it out. But as of right now I think this is the count for every wrestler who had 5 or more MOTYCs:

15: Kenny Omega
11: Nick Jackson
11: Matt Jackson
10: Shingo Takagi
9: Miyu Yamashita
9: Rey Fenix
8: Mei Suruga
7: Will Ospreay
7: Kota Ibushi
7: Darby Allin
6: Maki Itoh
6: Baliyan Akki
6: Emi Sakura
6: VENY
6: Ryo Mizunami
6: Penta El Zero Miedo
5: Kazuchika Okada
5: Hiroshi Tanahashi
5: Jungle Boy
5: Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D.
5: Jon Moxley
5: PAC
5: Chris Brookes
5: Minoru Fujita

"I think this is the count" means "feel free to double-check me," cause I had to do some data normalization to extract wrestlers from tag teams, etc.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

This is loving awesome and please keep it up! If you want to do a regular updated post (once a month maybe?) I'd love to link it in the OP and quote it in the "Reserved for any potential overrun" post on the first page.

Done deal! I'll run the first real one at the beginning of October and it'll include HMs too.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii G1 Climax 31 23.09
MOTYC: ZSJ vs. Shingo Takagi G1 Climax 31 23.09

Nth. Well that was some incredible wrestling. What a 24 hour period!

I also loved the Danielson/Omega match but it's already gotten the votes it needs and... yeah, all the other Dynamite matches are in the right place. Wow, what a couple of days.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

HM: Luchas Bros./PnP vs. HFO, Rampage, 9/24

Testekill posted:

HM: Eddie Kingston & Jon Moxley vs. Lance Archer & Minoru Suzuki, AEW Rampage, 9/24

Really enjoyable plunder brawl

Testekill posted:

HM: Adam Cole & the Young Bucks vs Christian & Jurassic Express, AEW Rampage 9/24

Jerusalem posted:

HM: CM Punk vs. Powerhouse Hobbs - AEW Rampage Grand Slam 9/24

Nth all around, it was a good night.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

HM: Schaff vs. Jon Moxley, DEFY Mad Kingdom, 2021-09-25

Turns out when Mox has to fill in for his pal Eddie Kingston at the last minute in front of a few hundred people in Seattle, he’s perfectly happy to go hard.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

NJPW G1 Climax Night 4 September 24th
HM
Cobb vs. Yoshi-Hashi
SANADA vs. Taichi

So much fun watching Yoshi-Hashi decide he’s an upper mid-card guy. Taichi didn’t quite elevate vs. SANADA the way he can. I am putting off Okada vs. EVIL.

NJPW G1 Climax Night 5 September 26th
MOTYC
Zack Sabre Jr vs Kota Ibushi
Shingo Takagi vs Yuji Nagata

First one is easy, second one I went back and forth on but Nagata really brought it. Haven’t watched Ishii/KENTA yet.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

It's December 4th, and you know what that means!

Top 20 MotYC Participants (21 with ties)

The race is for second place now, with four wrestlers grouped tightly enough so that it's anyone's game, particularly with the Bucks injured. Shingo would really need to show up in some tag matches during Road to Tokyo Dome, though, so we'll see.

Debuting on the list this month: Eddie and Dax Harwood (with a bullet, since he had 3 MOTYCs). Dropping off: Mox, Baliyan Akki, Emi Sakura, and Ryo Mizunami.

We also have a new best night co-champion: Full Gear saw 7 MOTYCs to join Double or Nothing.

19: Kenny Omega
14: Nick Jackson
14: Matt Jackson
13: Shingo Takagi
12: Miyu Yamashita
11: Kota Ibushi
10: Rey Fenix
10: Zack Sabre Jr.
8: Kazuchika Okada
8: Darby Allin
8: Jungle Boy
8: PAC
8: Mei Suruga
7: Maki Itoh
7: Will Ospreay
7: Dax Harwood
7: VENY
7: Tomohiro Ishii
7: Chris Brookes
7: Penta El Zero M
7: Eddie Kingston

Top 19 HM Participants (and 15 tied at 7)

Hyper Misao, Matt Hardy, Minoru Suzuki, Rika Tatsumi, and Shoko Nakajima have dropped off the list; Nyla Rose and Orange Cassidy have arrived. Honorable mention to the American Dragon, who had 4 HMs this last month.

15: Penta El Zero M
12: Darby Allin
11: Nick Jackson
11: Jungle Boy
11: Matt Jackson
11: Rey Fenix
11: Matt Sydal
10: Hiroshi Tanahashi
10: Dante Martin
9: Maki Itoh
9: Jon Moxley
9: Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D.
9: Orange Cassidy
8: Taichi
8: Evil Uno
8: SANADA
8: Nyla Rose
8: Nodoka Tenma
8: Miu Watanabe

Bryan Danielson, Cody Rhodes, Hikari Noa, Hyper Misao, KENTA, Luchasaurus, Matt Hardy, Minoru Suzuki, Miro, Riho, Rika Tatsumi, Shoko Nakajima, The Blade, The Great O-Khan, and Tomohiro Ishii are all tied at 7 HMs.

Charts

Administrivia

These numbers are generated by some hacky code. There's a configuration file which expands tag teams into individual members and accounts for wrestlers who have been nominated under more than one name; it also catches matches in which the participants aren't individually listed, like battle royales. Feel free to let me know if I've gotten anything wrong there!

Thanlis fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Just so you know, this has ALREADY changed, as:

Gave that match the 7th vote it needed to be upgraded to MOTY! Oh the fun of tracking this stuff! :)

The amount of work you do on this is nuts. I was impatient to show off the graphs; for future months I’ll probably give it a few days before updating that post. :)