Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Naito was being considerate and sparing Ibushi's neck so that he can destroy it getting heat for White.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MOTYC: Shingo vs Cobb

Man being a wrestling booker would be so easy, I'd just have Shingo wrestle every match.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega (C) vs. Rey Fenix for the AEW World Championship - AEW Dynamite New Year's Smash Night 1 - 1/6

Absolutely loving incredible. Fenix is sensational and Kenny Omega keeps up with him every step of the way. Their in-ring chemistry is out of this world, they work so incredibly well together.

Yeah nth. Fenix is a loving madman.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM
12/1
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate
Open The Twin Gate titles
RED (BxB Hulk & KAI) vs Masquerade (Jason Lee & Kota Minoura)

Thanlis posted:

Nth, that was fun.

HM: 2020-01-12 Dragon Gate MASQUERADE (La Estrella & Shun Skywalker) & Dragon Kid vs. Kagetora, Shuji Kondo & YAMATO

That kind of fast paced junior six man match is exactly what makes me happy. Probably benefited from the wrestlers mostly being new to me.

I'll second these and add from 1/13 the next night

HM: MASQUERADE (Shun Skywalker, Jason Lee, Kota Minoura, and La Estrella) vs. R.E.D. (BxB Hulk, KAI, Kaito Ishida, and Hip Hop Kikuta)

The Masquerade team are really really good together. Don't think I've seen a 4/5 man match from the unit that hasn't been at least HM worthy.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Same show name for both dates? Is it a "Night 1" "Night 2" situation?

Yep, they ran two nights at Korakuen.

forkboy84 posted:

HM
13th January
DRAGON GATE Open The New Year Gate
Dragon Kid vs YAMATO

Finish knocked it down a little but they still had a very good match.

And

HM
13th January
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate
Open The Triangle Gate Titles
RED (Kazma Sakamoto, SB KENTo & Takashi Yoshida) vs Natural Vibes (Genki Horiguchi, Kzy & Susumu Yokosuka)

2nd these

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM
17th January
Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 6
Ttre Cup
Masquerade (La Estrella, Jason Lee & Shun Skywalker) vs RED (Dia Inferno, Eita & Kaito Ishida) vs Dragon Kid, Keisuke Okuda & YAMATO

Also Segment of the Year nomination for the Natural Vibes new member audition. Dragon Kid and Don Fujii in particular were amazing. Just hilarious.

2nd both of these. Dragon Kid spending his routine doing the dance version of shitposting in order to make Kzy corpse was amazing.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM
31/1
Dragongate Open The New Year Gate Night 10 Evening show
R.E.D. (BxB Hulk, HipHop Kikuta, Kaito Ishida & SB KENTo) vs. MASQUERADE (Jason Lee, Kota Minoura, La Estrella & Shun Skywalker)

One of those multiman tags that DG just do so well: great character moments, cool spots, fast paced action, and the conclusion leads to a big singles match going forward.

2nd this.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate's Open the Truth Gate at KBS Hall, 2/23

HM: 4 on 3 Handicap Match - MASQUERADE (Shun Skywalker, Jason Lee, & La Estrella) vs R.E.D. (Eita, Kaito Ishida, SB KENTo, & KAZMA SAKAMOTO)
HM: Preliminary Tag Match for Twin Gate and Brave Gate - Masaaki Mochizuki, Takashi Yoshida, & Keisuke Okuda vs BxB Hulk, KAI, & H・Y・O

Really fun matches giving us previews of the title matches for Championship Gate coming up in March. Ishida looks so smooth, dude is ready to be a main eventer.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 24, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Shaq took one of the best table bumps I've seen in years. If that's not worth at least an HM I dunno.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate at Korakuen Hall 3/4

HM: Dragon Kid vs. SB Kento

Nice singles showing for Kento. Gets docked for the predictable smoz at the end leading into YAMATO/KAI and the set up for the DoA match.

Dragon Gate Championship Gate Night 1, 3/6

HM: Masaaki Mochizuki & Takashi Yoshida vs. Bokutimo Dragon & Kota Minoura vs. Don Fujii & U-T

Fun match, surprised at how well Mochizuki and Yoshida are gelling as a team and I'm warming up to goofy babyface Yoshida. Just keep him away from singles maches.

MOTYC: Open the Brave Gate Championship - Keisuke Okuda vs. H・Y・O

Got-drat, this match was cool as hell. H・Y・O outdid my expectations and even the heel shenanigans were fun Doing the Eddie chair spot not to get your opponent DQd but to set up a ref bump so you have time to do a really stupid chair-assisted senton had me howling.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Championship Gate Night 2, 3/7

HM: Open the Twin Gate Championship - BxB Hulk & KAI vs. Masaaki Mochizuki and Takeshi Yoshida

Solid match with some really effective heat and the finishing stretch with Mochizuki and Yoshida going all fiery babyface was great.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Shun Skywalker vs. Kaito Ishida

What a war. Absolutely phenomenal match that used all of it's 30 minutes perfectly. Shun and Ishida were lightning together.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Seconding both of these. Got to agree with tag team babyface Yoshida, it's wild how fun he is, desperately appealing for Mochizuki's approval. Adorable goof, his redemption better not end anytime soon because it's the most interesting he's been in...I have no idea how long but a good while

The brief thirty seconds near the end of the 2017 DoA match where I was like "oh poo poo they're actually gonna put the belt on Kong"

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

If you've not seen it then I really recommend taking the time to enjoy this match: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1254y1a7eX

Also, please appreciate the original Kick Boy theme while you're at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTcSfR1vbWQ

I already nominated it but yeah this is my current match of 2021 right now. Ishida is great as has been stated, and Shun, at least in ring wise, is one of the top 10 maybe even top 5, wrestlers in the world right now. His selling and pacing is out of this world.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Memorial Gate 3/27

Not gonna lie I fell asleep through most of the show, but was awake in time to see the main event.

HM: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Shun Skywalker vs KAZMA SAKAMOTO

The platonic ideal of an honorable mention. Very good wrestling and storytelling as I've come to expect from any Skywalker singles match at this point but it didn't really have anything to push it over the top. Lacked the drama of a MOTYC because come on, they're not putting the belt on KAZMA. This feels like a good pitstop in a larger R.E.D. vs Shun storyline of them collectively headhunting him and wearing him down over a long term period of time.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I'm going to compile my top 25 matches of the first 1/4 of the year & before I thought I'd ask if people would recommend 5 non-Japan matches, because I have made absolutely no effort to keep up with most wrestling from outside Japan this year, aside from the AEW Women's tournament as well as Britt vs Rosa & Kenny vs Fenix. Oh, & that one NXT UK match with Walter & A-Kid that wasn't as good as the Ilja match but did still rule.

For you specifically, I'd throw out Omega vs Sydal.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate - Gate of Passion at Korakuen Hall, 4/9

HM: Masaaki Mochizuki, Takashi Yoshida, Don Fujii, & Gamma vs. BxB Hulk, Kaito Ishida, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, & H・Y・O

Incredibly fun match of old men beating up some no good punks. Takashi Yoshida continues to be a great babyface, Kazma and Ishida showed off their tag team chemistry (probably challenging for the Twin Gate at DoA), and Don Fujii chokeslamed HYO while getting ankle locked.

HM: Mask vs Mask - Bokutimo Dragon vs. Diamante

This wasn't a blow away match but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Really liked Shimizu combining his Bokutimo and Big R movesets together, and I was losing my poo poo at the avalanche rana from Shimizu.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM: Mike Tyson vs. Not-bald FTR Guy

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate at Kobe Sambo Hall 4/22

HM
Natural Vibes (Kzy, Susumu Yokosuka, & Taketo Kamei Funky Jacky Kamei) vs R.E.D. (BxB Hulk, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, & H・Y・O)

Don Fujii & Jason Lee vs Genki Horiguchi & U-T

Natural Vibes are a fun as hell team.

Open the Brave Gate Championship - Keisuke Okuda vs. Punch Tominaga

Okuda is loving vicious and this was Punch's best performance since probably when he spent an entire Twin Gate match getting beat up by YAMAdoi.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 23, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM
5th May
Dragon Gate Dead Or Alive
Open The Brave Gate Title
Keisuke Okuda vs U-T

HM
5th May
Open The Triangle Gate Title
Natural Vibes (Genki Horiguchi, Kzy & Susumu Yokosuka) vs Masquerade (Dragon Dia, Jason Lee & La Estrella)

MOTYC
5th May
Parejas Incredible Steel Cage Survival
Dragon Kid & SB KENTo vs KAI & YAMATO

Great show. The only disappointing match on the card was the Skywalker Kikuta match.

Same on all of these. I think with a fully loud crowd those HM’s would be MOTYCs.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Blood and Guts 5/5. Outstanding match, very heated, very good finish, fun bump at the end. Bloody MJF on top of the cage was a great performance.

Nth
Not as good as the other cage match today but WARDLOW, Sammy, and bloodied up MJF were all extremely good.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MOTYC: SCU vs Young Bucks AEW Dynamite 5/12

CD was amazing. I love me old man making valiant last stand performances.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate - King of Gate Night 1 at Kobe Lapis Hall, 5/14

I really liked this show. Just straight bangers one after the other. Would have been interesting to see them run a show formatted like this in front of a Korakuen crowd.

HM: Dragon Kid vs. SB Kento
HM: Jason Lee vs. Eita
HM: Naruki Doi vs. Ben-K
HM: BxB Hulk vs. Takeshi Yoshida

Filling out my WON Awards ballot and writing Takeshi Yoshida in big bold letters into the Most Improved slot.

MOTYC: Kzy vs. Susumu Yokosuka
MOTYC: Shun Skywalker vs. YAMATO

Kzy and Susumu did what any self-respecting members of the same unit would do when forced to fight in a tournament setting and beat the piss out of each other. An incredible effort here for an empty building. Skywalker and YAMATO were as good together as I thought they would be and I was really missing the crowd because the way the match ramped itself up was masterful.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate, King of Gate Night 2 at Fukuoka, 5/15

HM: King of Gate B Block - Kzy vs. Dragon Kid
MOTYC: King of Gate C Block - YAMATO vs Keisuke Okuda

Do you like grapplefucking? Do you like guys hitting each other real hard in strike exchanges? Then I got a match for you!

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 17, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate, King of Gate Night 3 in Fukuoka, 5/16

HM: King of Gate C Block - Shun Skywalker vs. Kaito Ishida

Not as electric as their Dream Gate match but still real good and the finishing sprint was great.

HM: King of Gate B Block - Eita vs. Dragon Kid

Kid's been great this tournament and this match is worth it for Eita's pump-handle tilt-a-whirl GTS.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 17, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM: Sting/Darby vs. Page/Sky
HM: Stadium Stampede II
MOTYC: Mox/Eddie vs. The Bucks
MOTYC: Shida vs Baker
MOTYC: Omega vs. PAC. vs Orange Cassidy

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 31, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate, King of Gate Finals at Korakuen, 6/3

HM: King of Gate Semifinals - YAMATO vs. Kota Minoura
HM: High End (Dragon Kid, Keisuke Okuda, Ben-K, & Kagetora vs. Natural Vibes (Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi, U-T, & King Shimizu

MOTYC: King of Gate Finals - Kzy vs. Kota Minoura

Finals were a hell of a match. One of my absolute favorites of the year so far. Kota Minoura is only 22 years old and is already putting out matches of this quality on a regular basis. It's unfair just how good the Dragon Gate dojo is.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 3, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Wardlow/Hager was dogshit but it was fun to mock and I enjoyed Wardlow's Shoot Hurricanrana too much to give it a WMOTY nod.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

In general, my scale is MOTYC = This is something that'll I'll be thinking about when making my top 10 list at the end of the year, HM = A good match that is worth taking the time to track down and watch. And on that scale it's always weird to me to come into this thread and see five matches from an ok Dynamite nominated for something and it feels like there are people still grading things on the WWE curve of "this didn't piss me off or make me feel like I wasted my time so HM".

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate at Kobe Sambo Hall 6/26

HM: Masaaki Mochizuki vs FUNKY “JACKY” KAMEI

Started out slow as a nothing match but built surprisngly well and the crowd was super into it by the end.

HM: High-End (Dragon Kid, Keisuke Okuda, & Ben-K) vs. Natural Vibes (Susumu Yokosuka, Genki Horiguchi, & King Shimizu) vs R.E.D. (Eita, Kaito Ishida, & KAZMA SAKAMOTO)

Fun match held back by nobody other than Shimizu going too hard for a match being used primarily to set up other matchs. Still good though and the final stretch was excellent.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

AEW Dynamite, 6/30

MOTYC: Sammy Guevara vs MJF

Excellent match, cool moves, three people died, and good heat at the end

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen this glorious train wreck yet, I think it needs one more nomination

https://twitter.com/RealHero12089/status/1412223518490730503?s=19

Hell yeah nth. Wrestling is so loving cool. I feel sad for all the people not steeped in its coolness.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate at Korakuen Hall 7/9

HM: Masquerade (Shun Skywalker, Jason Lee, Dragon Dia, & La Estrella) vs R.E.D. (Eita, SB KENTo, Diamante, & Dia Inferno)

Ever since Masquerade formed they and R.E.D. have just had insane chemistry in the ring. I think you could throw any combination of the units together and come away with an HM at the very least.

Lily Catts posted:

HM: YAMATO vs KAI, No Rope Lumberjack Match
Great match, good use of the stip.

2nd. Very close to a MOTYC with me. If it had had the full crowd reaction it 100% would have been there. Loved the unit interactions.

MOTYC: Masaaki Mochizuki vs Kota Minoura

I thought this match was excellent. Minoura's been on fire lately and with singles wins over YAMATO and Mochizuki DG seems to be rewarding his efforts.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
9th July
Dragon Gate Hopeful Gate
KAI vs YAMATO

Rewatched and want to upgrade my original HM to a MOTYC. Great blow-off, excellent use of the stip, and unit shenanigans were awesome. Kagetora's sprinting tope into the rest of R.E.D. to give Yamato time to emphatically and finally put down KAI was the stuff of pure wrestling kino.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I've tried giving GLEAT a chance and I don't think shoot style is for me. Might still turn in for the undercards where they apparently just let CIMA do whatever he wants.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I'll post other noms later but

Dragon Gate Kobe World Pro-Wresting Festival 2021, 7/31

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Shun Skywalker vs. Kzy

Maybe the best match I've seen this year. Amazing from start to finish.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

Nth!

Also:

MOTYC: Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Dragon Dia, La Estrella, Jason Lee (c) vs SB KENTo, Diamante, Dia Inferno
No other promotion does trios matches like Dragon Gate does. Everyone worked hard in this match and everyone looked great. Amazing team spots.

HM: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Kaito Ishida & KAZMA SAKAMOTO (c) vs Susumu Yokosuka & King Shimizu
Really great back and forth between both teams.

HM: Open the Brave Gate Championship - Keisuke Okuda (c) vs Genki Horiguchi
Good psychology in a clash of styles, would've MOTYC if it was a little longer

Yes

sticklefifer posted:

HM: Eita vs Kota Minoura
One of the best current talents vs one of the most promising future talents.

and yes

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate Speed Star Final at Kobe World, 8/1

MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - Natural Vibes (Susumu Yokosuka & King Shimizu) vs. High-End (Ben-K & Dragon Kid)

Susumu might be the most underrated wrestler ever.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Shun Skywalker vs. YAMATO

Somehow better than last night's Dream Gate match. A war where I was constantly losing my mind. Watch this loving match.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 1, 2021

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM: Masato Yoshino Retirement Match - Masato Yoshino and Naruki Doi vs. Eita and BxB Hulk, Dragon Gate Speed Star Final at Kobe World, 8/1

Not a blow away match but you know, hit all the notes it needed for a retirement match.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

HM
11th August
Dragon Gate Gate of Adventure
Naruki Doi & Kenichiro Arai & Ryo Saito vs Konomama Ichikawa & Shachihoko Boy & Yosuke♡Santa Maria

Konomama Ichikawa is king

Yes

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
11th August
Dragon Gate Gate of Adventure
HIGH-END (YAMATO/Dragon Kid/Kagetora) vs NATURAL VIBES (Kzy/Susumu Yokosuka/King Shimizu) vs MASQUERADE (Jason Lee & Dragon Dia & La Estrella) vs RED (Kaito Ishida/SB KENTo/HYO)

Exactly the sort of match Dragon Gate are so good at. Just a bit of comedy & then non stop boom boom boom action.

Yes

Penguin Patrol posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/11
MOTYC: Kenny Omega & Young Bucks vs Dante Martin & Sydal Bros

and Yes. Dante was reminding me of a young Dragon Kid going insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs Andrade El Idolo - Triplemania August 14th

gently caress Vince

Hell yeah, wrestling is wild.