Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yes, again!

Aye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

...well then.

Much as Aesyas has my full trust, I cannot say the same for those around him who would seek to benefit from such research. Ankist has seen enough in the way of immortals, even if this is only a piece of the process.

Nay.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Phoneposting

What LPFinale said
nay.

Seriously, immortality is a fool's errand, go for increased lifespan through medicine.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
The dead stay dead, and deserve rites as such. This quest for eternal life has brought nothing but horrors to the land.

Nay

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Nay. We've learned to leave well enough alone at this point.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Nay. We already messed with the dead and look at how that turned out.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Nay stop repeating history you jerks! :argh:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Turbonay burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it burn it

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Well, if I was bought back from the dead for this, Aye

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Age of Disorder, Chapter 3
We have voted Nay, but Ankist...Ankist never changes.

The Council didn't have many doubts this time: with 428 votes against 116, the crown decreed to allow Aesyas to study the strange corpse. You will learn the consequences of his discoveries during your regular campaign of The Queen's Dilemma, thanks to the set of 1 Agenda card + 1 Ability sticker titled "Alchemic Preservation" that your decision added to the Age of Disorder Expansion Kit!

And now, it's time to see where the next chapter of the Age of Disorder will bring us!

quote:

In the absence of a legitimate monarch, the Council of Loyals rules Ankist. To help steer such a large assembly, which encompasses all the nobles of Ankist, Geryth wields the agenda. He thus knows all the nobles, and his advice commands both respect and authority.

Yet the common people of Ankist hold a different opinion: In the absence of a king, the Council of Loyals is young, and faces many difficulties in being perceived as legitimate. In many cities of the kingdom, people are growing resentful. They question what right, if any, the Council of Loyals has to rule over them. After all, it is just a large group of nobles, some rich but others less so. So why should the common people be excluded?

Many among the common folk thus started doing whatever they could get away with, even without the Council’s approval. The result is violent protests in many small villages all over the country. Local trade deposits are burned, the houses of the local nobles are looted, and the city watch is disarmed and sometimes even killed. This is particularly true of those villages farthest away, where the presence of guards appears the faintest.

quote:

We are losing our grip over the country. The people are distrustful of our newborn Council, and Serena is too young to offer the legitimacy we so desperately need.

Geryth submits an original proposal: violence is not the only solution to appease the people’s spirit. We could build some big “pleasure dens” in the suburbs of Lybra, closed houses in which our citizens could be free to engage in the most wicked vices and the heaviest narcotics, like Mindfog, an herb that when drunk with milk puts you in a state of blank stupor. This could work as a distraction for the unrest of our people, and in the worst case scenario the crimes and violence could be confined to closed areas.

If we reject this proposal, the only alternative would be a severe increase in our security infrastructure, expanding the existing prisons into bigger ones able to hold more people, and also adding new torture chambers to frighten possible future rioters.

So, Councilors, are you ready for your next Dilemma? Depending on your decision, a different set of Building stickers will be unlocked: "Pleasure Dens" or "Torture Chambers". You are writing history, there's no coming back, so whatever your choice will be, the other option will be lost forever. Remember, Building stickers are improvements that you can attach to the map of the kingdom, changing the resources you get from your lands or unlocking other effects.

The time has come to cast your vote. Choose one of the two options, AYE or NAY, then submit your votes/comments below this update!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Uh, not a hard one here. :stare:

Aye

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

...then it seems the immortals may make their mark on Ankist's history yet again. A shame.

As for appeasing the masses, Aye.

You'd be surprised what a good distraction access to a night of pleasure can do. In addition, if those drugs were to be used anywhere, they may as well be used where we can expect them and regulate them, both to filter out stock laced with even more destructive substances and to be on-site for treatment if a patron somehow overdoses.

I'm sure the council can imagine the more, *ahem*... carnal vices, shall we say. Also much less risk there to all parties when regulated. Perhaps more enjoyable, too.

...much more enjoyable than the alternative option, at any rate, though that bar's so low it's dug itself into the stone floors.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Well I guess if it's between torture chambers and drug houses, Aye, it is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OOrochi posted:

Well I guess if it's between torture chambers and drug houses, Aye, it is.

This. Aye?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like this is a bit of a false dichotomy, but mark me down as anti-torture chamber, so Aye.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Aye, there's no need to torture our own citizens :stare:

Unless of course they're into that and it's consensual.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Something tells me the Aye additional infrastructure requirements will be quite minimal indeed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Age of Disorder, Chapter 4
Welcome to the Bone Zone, everyone.

This was another pretty one-sided session for the Council: with 332 votes against 178, the Council of Loyals decreed to support Geryth's proposal to create new pleasure dens to get the people's minds off their problems–and the perceived illegitimacy of the Council's rule over the Kingdom. You will learn the consequences of this new kind of entertainment during your regular campaign of The Queen's Dilemma, thanks to the set of Building stickers titled "Pleasure Dens" that your decision added to the Age of Disorder Expansion Kit!

quote:

One of the biggest problems our kingdom is facing right now is the weakening of the most powerful social glue of all: religion.

After Celestina’s dramatic revelations, the true status of our Goddess, the Mother, has been disputed both by the Cult and the people. Many dismissed the words of Celestina as lies, arguing that divinity is transcendental and rejecting the heretical hypothesis that the Mother was once a woman named Rhea. They call themselves the Path of the Skies and have taken over the religious hierarchy, seeking to preserve religion from these horrid accusations at any cost.

The official Cult is, however, challenged by another group: the Way of the Ladder, which welcomes the words of Celestina, claiming that the divine comes from the human, exalted by the promise of immortality and achieving godlike status through forgotten rituals. As a consequence of this schism, the Cult has become unreliable as a unifying force and has lost most of its political power: as the old Council was dismissed, so was the Holy Attendant.

This situation is particularly evident in Natar. Once the most devoted Duchy of all, Natar is now deeply divided by many fervent extremists on both sides of the schism. Most devotees have, in fact, resolved to stay true to the traditional values of the Mother’s teachings as they have always been. They follow the Path of the Skies, but are exasperated by the new, marginal role of the Cult, which they blame on the other half of the schism, who they consider heretics and traitors. On the other side, followers of the Way of the Ladder are coping with its more material consequences. They’re plumbing the grounds of Natar and the Clover Massif, bringing back to light ancient remains from the times of King Ommad in search of more proof of the words of Celestina—and the powers of Rhea herself.

Just like everyone else in the kingdom, even Serena has to face religious feelings, doubts, and anxiety. However, she doesn’t seem to be particularly fond of either of the two sides of the schism.

quote:

The architect Aynes, studying the plans of the monasteries built during the age of King Ommad, has developed a theory according to which every ancient monastery may hide a secret vault, just like the one in the Monastery of Lorrain that allegedly led to the discoveries of Celestina. Financed by some patrons from Natar, Aynes is asking us to plumb the grounds of the Great Chalice Monastery in Aontas in the hopes of finding more information regarding Ommad, Rhea, and the power of immortality.

But Thessa, the Prior Mother, declares this intentional spoiling of one of the few ancient monasteries left “an unbearable act of blasphemy.” Supported by those faithful of to the Path of the Skies, she asks the Council to declare the few ancient monasteries “heritage of all Ankist” and, as such, untouchable.
So, Councilors, are you ready for your next Dilemma? Depending on your decision, a different Envelope will be unlocked: "Lost Knowledge" or "Relics of a Ruinous Past". You are writing history, there's no coming back, so whatever your choice will be, the other option will be lost forever. Remember, when they are opened Envelopes unlock new Dilemma cards that get added to your deck, bringing new events the Council will need to deal with during your campaign.

The time has come to cast your vote. Choose one of the two options, AYE or NAY, then submit your votes/comments below this update!

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 28, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Nay!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Aye!

Once again, I must echo the sentiments of our forebears: Not again! :stare:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Nay! We've seen what happens when the church is allowed to keep secrets.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Aye! Please stop unleashing ancient unspeakable horrors upon the benighted world, tia

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

OOrochi posted:

We've seen what happens when the church is allowed to keep secrets.
No, we've seen what happens when the church fails to keep them everyone, including themselves. The solution is not to show everyone, but ensure we show no one. aye

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

I can't say I'm certain of what to do here.

But, I have already committed to the idea that Ankist is better off free from the immortals, therefore...

Aye. Let them have their preservation, even if it's only to keep those secrets out of anyone's hands.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm going with nay here. If there were anything worse than the octomaw ritual we'd have found it in the last secret monastery room we opened, and we know how to deal with the mawther poo poo.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Nay. Like the Queen, I can't say I'm fond of either side of this debate. But siding with the one that isn't the establishment should weaken the established order, leaving them too busy to set their sights on the throne.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
Aye! These monasteries are sacred and should not be touched.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

This was a close one but we are going with Aye!

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Age of Disorder, Chapter 4
We are going to be so smug about how much better things would have been in our Ankist when the time comes, aren't we?

The competition was closer this time: with 266 votes against 144, the Council of Loyals decreed to finance Aynes' expedition. You will learn the consequences of his discoveries during your regular campaign of The Queen's Dilemma, thanks to the Envelope titled "Relics of a Ruinous Past" that your decision added to the Age of Disorder Expansion Kit!

quote:

The Republic of Kauppias is a small but thriving state, well known for its fabulous Bank of Cards and its libertine ways. It hasn’t been touched by the disorders of this age and instead acquired more influence thanks to them. As usual, they get the best from any bad situation, and civil war is the worst situation of all. They’re secretly financing different Duchies and Marquisates in their fights, with money, weapons, and mercenaries, while at the same time acting friendly with Lybra, proposing to replenish our bleeding treasury with huge loans. Obviously, what they want is our land, which they constantly suggest as a potential payment if we can’t repay the loans.

As always in times of financial uncertainty, all eyes turn to the richest noble in Ankist, Elinor the Gold-Blooded. Her marvelous ability to understand economic matters has saved the kingdom many times. With her typical calm but resolute voice, she yields a dispassionately tragic analysis: “We could raise the taxes on ourselves, but we all know how that vote would go. I don’t trust Kauppias to give us good conditions on a loan, but I will negotiate the best possible ones if I have to. I wonder if there could be some more creative options…”

quote:

A recent recalculation of the Treasury’s balance has revealed a dire situation: the kingdom is bankrupt. We don’t know whether prior estimates were wrong, or whether someone of influence took some of it for their private expenses.

There is no easy solution in sight. Geryth suggests that we take a loan to finance the rebirth of Ankist, and Kauppias seems eager to give us one, perhaps even too eager. Elinor claims to have contacts within the Bank of Cards of that Republic, so she could possibly get us one at a favorable rate. There is also a more risky, cynical route—even a bit improvised. We could dress our elite guard as brigands and start raiding the caravan routes in southern Kauppias. This could provide a steady flow of gold without committing us to repaying it.

So, Councilors, are you ready for your next Dilemma? Depending on your decision, a different set of 1 Agenda card + 1 Keyword sticker will be unlocked: "Raider of Wealth" (AYE) or "Master of Finance" (NAY). You are writing history, there's no coming back, so whatever your choice will be, the other option will be lost forever.

Remember, Agenda cards are secret objectives that may let you open Envelopes, sending more Dilemma cards to the deck, or give you other surprises by unlocking additional contents like Keyword stickers... which may be assigned to your character as a result of your most impactful actions, for example, raiding a neighbouring country, or closing an advantageous business deal. The character with a certain Keyword sticker assigned to them may reap the benefits... or pay the consequences of their actions later on during the campaign, when that same Keyword will be evoked by a Dilemma card.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I'd like to think we still have some morals remaining. Nay.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The kingdom is bankrupt :geno:
Was it the Tuesday bankruptcy or the Saturday bankruptcy? I kinda lost track of the week there.

Nay, let's just get the loan and call it a day.

Raiding merchants is bad for trade and also kinda evil

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Aye- we get gold and competitor merchants are harmed so our own can thrive

megane
Jun 20, 2008

We're not bandits, and reputation is worth more than money. Nay.

Of course I fully expect that the external council voters will confirm that we are, in fact, bandits after all.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nay.

This is just how wealth resets at the start of each reign. :v:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Nay

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I think that banditry might end up coming back to haunt us, amusing as the idea sounds. Nay on that.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Oh good, the status quo! At last, something Ankist is prepared to face!

...this noble lady's vote is for Nay, if that didn't make it clear.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Nay. Giving your strongest warriors free reign to pillage and plunder in a far-off land with very little oversight has rarely ever been a good idea. If they decide to just keep the gold for themselves, we’re out of funds and elite guards.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Age of Disorder, Chapter 5
Two things: the council doesn't work weekends; and we are in agreement, for once!

This was another more disputed session for the Council: with 279 votes against 201, the Council of Loyals decreed to act in the most honorable way and ask for a loan to Kauppias' Bank of Cards. You will learn the consequences of decision during your regular campaign of The Queen's Dilemma, thanks to the set of 1 Agenda card + 1 Ability sticker titled "Master of Finance" that your decision added to the Age of Disorder Expansion Kit!

quote:

Once a land known for its resistance to change, always staying true to its roots and traditions, the last decades have changed Tiryll so much that it is now almost unrecognizable. Plagued by the diffusion of the wicked Ash Bread and wounded by the subsequent war with the neighboring Mhuir, Tiryll had to face almost a century of constant strife, which brought about the loss of generations of its best folks. Nowadays, the borders with Mhuir are in a state of constant skirmishes and border battles, with Mhuir trying to take back what was once theirs. Tyrill’s motto – “No blood is like our blood” – once an adage to be proud of, has now become a sort of ominous sign and is mocked by their rivals into the less grandiloquent “no blood spills like your blood.” Luckily for our kingdom, though, the war has weakened the opportunistic Tiryll, which would otherwise be one of the first marquisates to try to conquer the crown. Instead, they rely on our help to survive, something Geryth is sure we’ll need to remind them of, one day.

quote:

Since the war, our relations with Mhuir are at a very low point. So low, in fact, that all trade has stopped and we don’t even exchange diplomatic messages anymore. There are also skirmishes at the border, when reconnaissance squads unknowingly transverse it.

However, some say stopping trade is impossible. Particularly so the Orange Pearls of the Siar Ocean, which only Mhuir can harvest, and which are extremely sought after by the nobility. Indeed, a rich flow of underground smuggling has become customary between our nations. Due to our nobility’s desire for the pearls, we never seriously fought it.

An unprecedented development has occurred: a diplomat from Mhuir has asked for an audience, something that has not happened in the last 70 years. He demands that we interrupt the smuggling operations, because only true Mhuirians should have access to the orange treasure of the sea. Geryth the Wise suggests that we yield to their request. We are too weak at the moment to fight off new enemies, and ceding to their demands might normalize relations between our countries.

So, Councilors, are you ready for your next Dilemma? Depending on your decision, a different Envelope will be unlocked: "The Most Valuable Gem" or "Orange Tension". You are writing history, there's no coming back, so whatever your choice will be, the other option will be lost forever.

Remember, when they are opened, Envelopes unlock new Dilemma cards that get added to your deck, bringing new events the Council will need to deal with during your campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Aye, after all the Ash Bread we've dealt with the nobles are probably going to shoot beams of destructive light out of their eyes if they get their hands on more of these.